Has Thor de-evolved into a pathetic sissy girl

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by BlackestShite (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the day a big muscle bond Viking with long hair swinging a mighty hammer might have meant something, he could stop time with his magic power, at one time he could blast away planets but not anymore.
The Thor god today is this weak blonde girly man that used to appear in 80s shampoo commercials
 
some evidence:
.
 


 
Thor hasn't won a big, big fight in a long, long time, he got owned by Hulk, by Superman, by the U-Foes, by Rulk,
  
Classic Thor is much stronger than modern Thor
I think some writers like Straczynski might have been build him up to his level of classical of power but he writes for DC now
 Thor has dropped to even lower standards owned by Osborn, and beating by the f-ing Taskmaster 

The Thunder God is lame now and does not deserve to be near the heavy weight elite
Kill the Sentry
but also kill Thor, he's a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Thor that Lee/Kirby wrote
 

#2 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

the main reason is because they're trying to make him come off as more human ergo he cant win every battle within seconds just because he's a god anymore

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

no the writers just dont know what theyre doing
#4 Edited by BlackestShite (238 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
"

the main reason is because they're trying to make him come off as more human ergo he cant win every battle within seconds just because he's a god anymore

"
  So what is he? Is he near invincible or just a mortal amped up with a magical trinket?
   
@joshmightbe said:

" no the writers just dont know what theyre doing "




at least Cap is man enough to take bad guys down
 
writers don't respect Thor no more, he no longer is super 
 


 Cap stormed the beaches in France, he fought Hitler with his bare hands, fought Kang etc so killing off a lamo superman rip off like Sentry would be nothing for Cap
Off with the Sentry/Void's head
Both Sentry and Thor should be killed off
#5 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor should kill Void off, not get killed off.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackestShite:
no the writers just need to get their heads out of their asses and treat the fans and characters with more respect
#7 Posted by King Saturn (225164 posts) - - Show Bio
yeah... the writers are making Thor seem like a Wanker now... he definitely is not how he was in the Past 
#8 Posted by bingbangboom (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so, I think the whole thing with Thor is they are not trying to make it an easy out like Superman. He has to take his lumps like the rest of them to make him seem more appealing and the fact he can loose and come back.

#9 Posted by TheDarkHeart (49 posts) - - Show Bio

If the writers are going to 'dis' Thor, at least give a reason. Cursed by Loki, subtly abandoned by the hammer, broke an oath and this is retribution, fickle Odin has chose to no longer favor his fair haired son for the time being, he is fickle after all.  Something, not just Thor suddenly fizzles. Unless they fizzled him to build him up again after the movie comes out. That's a possibility.

#10 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: Yes.  I hate how he seems like all powerful and whatnot in his series but gets his @$$ handed to him in everything else. 

#11 Posted by Casket (308 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheDarkHeart said:
" If the writers are going to 'dis' Thor, at least give a reason. Cursed by Loki, subtly abandoned by the hammer, broke an oath and this is retribution, fickle Odin has chose to no longer favor his fair haired son for the time being, he is fickle after all.  "
 
Norn stones or "Stones of Norn" these items are there in the background. Yes you can complain have barely been mentioned in the main Siege books but that's the explanation.   Kieron Gillen, Rich Elson and Billy Tan used the stones to explain why Bendis is not here to dis Thor in Siege. Thor is experiencing a magic block, Thor issue # 609 I think
The Norn stones are a form of kryptonite and make regular mortals really strong, stick these mortals on goblin gliders, give them a pair of stones and they will able to slaughter all the magic godlike people from Asgard.
 

.
#12 Posted by Assman (1875 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackestShite said:
"Back in the day a big muscle bond Viking with long hair swinging a mighty hammer might have meant something, he could stop time with his magic power, at one time he could blast away planets but not anymore.
The Thor god today is this weak blonde girly man that used to appear in 80s shampoo commercials
 
some evidence:
.
 
A spindly Sentry/Void attacks and how does Thor react? He blocks it by sticking his chest out and gets owned instead....what a neanderthal dumbass. Vision a guy who can go intangible...stands around like a moron gets bi0tch slapped
 
Cap a real hero blocks the Japanese Sentry's hentai tentacles on his shield 
Defense
 
Attack
Then chucks his shield and decapitates the Sentry
 
Go Cap!
 
This is the man who beat Hitler, a lame Superman/Miracleman rip off isn't going to scare Cap
 Thor hasn't won a big, big fight in a long, long time, he got owned by Hulk, by Superman, by the U-Foes, by Rulk,    Classic Thor is much stronger than modern Thor I think some writers like Straczynski might have been build him up to his level of classical of power but he writes for DC now  Thor has dropped to even lower standards owned by Osborn, and beating by the f-ing Taskmaster  The Thunder God is lame now and does not deserve to be near the heavy weight elite Kill the Sentry but also kill Thor, he's a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Thor that Lee/Kirby wrote  "

To be clear, he actually came back and beat the crap out of Rulk, and Rulk stated as much himself.  when did Thor get beat by Hulk anytime soon? He got owned by Superman? That's news to me! And the Ufoes, if I recall correctly, Sentry blitzed him, to which he litterally hammered him away, then got dogpiled by IP and the ufoes.  I think your being a bit harsh and negative, but just my opinion.
#13 Posted by Assman (1875 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackestShite said:
"@DH69 said:
"

the main reason is because they're trying to make him come off as more human ergo he cant win every battle within seconds just because he's a god anymore

"
  So what is he? Is he near invincible or just a mortal amped up with a magical trinket?
   
@joshmightbe said:

" no the writers just dont know what theyre doing "




at least Cap is man enough to take bad guys down
 
writers don't respect Thor no more, he no longer is super 
 
Word up to ign for these
 

 


 compared to Cap

 

 Cap stormed the beaches in France, he fought Hitler with his bare hands, fought Kang etc so killing off a lamo superman rip off like Sentry would be nothing for Cap Off with the Sentry/Void's headBoth Sentry and Thor should be killed off "

Is that from Siege #4, has that come out yet?
#14 Posted by TheDarkHeart (49 posts) - - Show Bio
@Casket: Thanks for the info on the Norn Stones. I know in Norse Mythology (The Norse version not the Marvel Version) the Norns are supposed to be a force similar to the Greek Fates. I think they are even three Norns. Figured I'd toss that in there since I don't know if Marvel ever explained what a Norn was.
#15 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap decapitating Sentry/Void is obviously PIS.

#16 Posted by Assman (1875 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
"Cap decapitating Sentry/Void is obviously PIS."

More or less.  Once scenario could be Thor hitting him with a full powered god blast, thus weakening him severly and making him vulnerable for Cap to do what he did?
#17 Posted by Casket (308 posts) - - Show Bio

 



 
Both Loki and Thor break down and start crying 
 
Well Thor doesn't cry too long, just mostly spends the whole of Siege getting his ass kicked
If wrote correctly I might buy Thor getting a bit upset or traumatized....that's if and only if they wrote it right, but Loki the GOD of Mischief crying
That is totally out of character
 

#18 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow it is true

#19 Edited by llagrok (677 posts) - - Show Bio
http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/llagrok/short-end-of-the-stick/87-50278/
  
I actually wrote a short blog-entry on the very same thing. Seems to me that even though JMS has been doing a good job character-development wise, the last few years Thor has been doing NOTHING but getting his ass handed to him. Whatever happened to the days when Thor was out roaming the universe and kicking ass? What about some god damned warrior madness already? the -second- DC had Black Adam went on a rampage throughout the world, Marvel should have upped the ante and had Thor do something similar. Something a little better than schooling Iron Man, which is about the only thing we've seen him do in comparison to worthwhile characters. Could have something to do with the fact that Bendis can't write anything above street-level, or that Marvel hasn't yet realized that people do not give a flying fuggle about the Sentry if it isn't Paul Jenkins who is writing him. 
 
I seriously wish that they would either do something worthwhile with Thor or GET HIM OFF MARVEL EARTH. Leaving Asgard in the middle of america was a bad enough idea as it is. 
#20 Posted by D3athstroke (4161 posts) - - Show Bio

 


 


#21 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate how writers depower characters for sake of plot

#22 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@D3athstroke:
ha lol
#23 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7162 posts) - - Show Bio
@D3athstroke said:
"
 


 
"

lol wtf where is that from
#24 Posted by Primarch (595 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer: Ugh....poorly drawn & written Thor to suit making a funny moment for DP. Please tell me Thor kicked him around the place for a while after words. T.T
#25 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7162 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer:
what actualy happened after that
#26 Posted by Walker696 (980 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this goes back to the killing Bor issue. He has had issue since then. He has been getting beat up by folks who he owned when he was classic. Thor disassembled was the last time I really saw how strong he was, since then he seems to be holding back for some reason and not fighting anybody all out. Against Rulk he could have won if he wanted to but he held back, against Sentry/Void he didn't want to kill him, and against Norman he was just being an idiot. I like his new look but if they don't give me back the real thunder god instead of this depressed p***y I'm rioting in this bia.

#27 Posted by Doombot_666 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Is everyone forgetting how powerful Sentry/Void was? Robert Reynold's potential power was, in theory at least, limitless. What limited him in actually using it was his own mind, both before and after he was mind-raped by Mastermind. He soloed the combined forces of the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the Inhumans in New Avengers #9 or #10, and he did things like this consistently. Of course he could beat Thor. Sentry/Void could beat almost anyone in the Marvel Universe.
 
To his credit, Thor was holding back the entire time he was fighting Sentry/Void because he didn't want to kill him and he was the one who finished Sentry/Void off.  
 
And yeah, the writers need to take Thor off of Earth and put him up against some cosmic-level enemies.

#28 Posted by warcorpse (431 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer: It was a dream sequence in the deadpool ongoing right after his team up with spidey
#29 Posted by CharlieJade (415 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said:
" I think this goes back to the killing Bor issue. . "
I think Thor got depowered after killing Bor
 
Classic Thor had all kinds of moves like Anti-Force and God-Blast and whatever he needed to beat the bad guy that day
  


New Thor has Hulk almost beat him to death with his own hammer
Marvel never really owned or respected the character so they changed Thor from a super godlike hero into a super punchbag
#30 Posted by CharlieJade (415 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" Wow it is true "
crossovers are non canon
 
#31 Posted by ceniza (93 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't thor got depowered traying to fix mjolnir to save sif's life?

still, i agree, they should bring the glory back to goldilocks.

#32 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
"

the main reason is because they're trying to make him come off as more human ergo he cant win every battle within seconds just because he's a god anymore

"
and fans need to hit the writers more harder, that stuff is just wrong
#33 Posted by CharlieJade (415 posts) - - Show Bio
@llagrok said:
"
http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/llagrok/short-end-of-the-stick/87-50278/
  
I actually wrote a short blog-entry on the very same thing. Seems to me that even though JMS has been doing a good job character-development wise, the last few years Thor has been doing NOTHING but getting his ass handed to him. Whatever happened to the days when Thor was out roaming the universe and kicking ass? What about some god damned warrior madness already? the -second- DC had Black Adam went on a rampage throughout the world, Marvel should have upped the ante and had Thor do something similar. Something a little better than schooling Iron Man, which is about the only thing we've seen him do in comparison to worthwhile characters. Could have something to do with the fact that Bendis can't write anything above street-level, or that Marvel hasn't yet realized that people do not give a flying fuggle about the Sentry if it isn't Paul Jenkins who is writing him. 
 
I seriously wish that they would either do something worthwhile with Thor or GET HIM OFF MARVEL EARTH. Leaving Asgard in the middle of america was a bad enough idea as it is. 
"
It all depends who is writing Thor, some like to see him as a living god with a high level of immortality and total control of his magic hammer and the magic elements. Other people like Thor to be down to earth and have trouble defeating some no brain badguy beefcake
 
Some like Busiek and Bendis think Thor should be wrote more weak, more human 

Kirby wanted the classic god Thor
#34 Posted by Captain Norway (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the day Thor tanked blasts from TOAA (celestial) now the fucking UFO's are taking him down.

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

He was pretty powerful when JMS got a hold of him. Never really got his ass kicked. He even said to Iron Man that he wasn't gonna hold back anymore. Obviously Bendis and Loeb never got that memo, so they write them in their own way.  
 
To each his own, but I think all the writers should sit down and converse about how power levels work and how much characters hold back. That way everything'd be accurate.

#36 Posted by CharlieJade (415 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool beat Thor!?

#37 Posted by Larkin1388 (1733 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: i completely agree with you... It's no fun to read one-sided fights... i think its smart to have a main character take his beatings like the rest of us... nobody's perfect, not even the God/Eternals. Plus Thor also faces beings within his own range of strength and power. He's gonna take a few hits every now and then. Just accept it...
#38 Posted by Casket (308 posts) - - Show Bio

I found it annoying how Thor he doesn't win his latest battles or kept getting beat by Sentry, Superman and Hulk

#39 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

dude thor killed sentry end of convo
#40 Posted by TransgressionsofSociety (195 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe Thor should be killed off.  Despite this, I think maybe they should just power up Thor to what he was before and maybe have him deal with cosmic threats with Beta Ray Bill and everyone.  They should make him leave Earth/Midgard to all of the superheroes that it has.

#41 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@Powerzone789 said:
" dude thor killed sentry end of convo "
Sentry said "kill me" so BENDIS wrote it like he wasn't really fighting and wanted to die
#42 Posted by SC (13396 posts) - - Show Bio

Disagree with the premise of the thread. 


First Thor killed Void/Sentry. He killed him after he stopped holding back. Plus its a Bendis comic anyway, you want consistency? Put your hand in a can of jam. Feels good right? lol Cap can't hold back against Void/Sentry, and thats okay, it doesn't take away from him either, but one of the most unsissy things you can do is show restraint, and thats what Thor did in Siege. Does no one actually read all of Thor's old stories? He use to fight dudes in suits, Moongoose and Quicksand as often as he fought Galactus and Celestials. I think fans have devolved into sissies, and not the girl types, girls are bad ass and tough, what you talkin bout thinking otherwise. (thats for jokes by the way, I respect all ya'll opinions) 

Thor's like the one dude that Marvel actually lets kick Doctor Doom's ass definitively. Other people win, ah but haha, Door Doom actually planned that... Doom had to have Loki save him last time he fought Thor! Thor got to take down Glory! A dude like Odin with the power of Asgard behind him and added to him. One U-Foe by himself shred the Hulk's skin and flesh off, I guess that makes Hulk a sissy too? Thor actually delivered a massive blow to a dude who absorbed Universes in Chaos War. Thor confirmed he could one shot Ego recently. You have the huge awesome Werewolf guy from Under World movies making the most powerful black superhero around, in Blue Marvel, (he's a pretty good comics writer too)  coming out saying his character is stronger than Supes, but weaker than Thor lol (of course it doesn't make it true, this is to an example of how people see the characters) In Spider-Man big time, you have Spider-Man explaining to Anya, that she will always come across people more powerful than her, and thats true of all heroes... well... except Thor. The dude is given plenty of cred. There are more characters now, as in more than 10, so naturally other characters will get slapped on the back as well. Are people fans of characters just for the ego trips they get by getting to tell other fans they love a character that can't lose? I dunno, I can't buy that sort of reasoning. 

Characterization? Thor saying shut up? lol Those are things that are more legit to have a gripe with. Thor needing to die, because he does panic and try and kill everything out of insecurity? Now that sounds weak. 
Moderator Online
#43 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" Disagree with the premise of the thread. 

First Thor killed Void/Sentry. He killed him after he stopped holding back. Plus its a Bendis comic anyway, you want consistency? Put your hand in a can of jam. Feels good right? lol Cap can't hold back against Void/Sentry, and thats okay, it doesn't take away from him either, but one of the most unsissy things you can do is show restraint, and thats what Thor did in Siege. Does no one actually read all of Thor's old stories? He use to fight dudes in suits, Moongoose and Quicksand as often as he fought Galactus and Celestials. I think fans have devolved into sissies, and not the girl types, girls are bad ass and tough, what you talkin bout thinking otherwise. (thats for jokes by the way, I respect all ya'll opinions) 

Thor's like the one dude that Marvel actually lets kick Doctor Doom's ass definitively. Other people win, ah but haha, Door Doom actually planned that... Doom had to have Loki save him last time he fought Thor! Thor got to take down Glory! A dude like Odin with the power of Asgard behind him and added to him. One U-Foe by himself shred the Hulk's skin and flesh off, I guess that makes Hulk a sissy too? Thor actually delivered a massive blow to a dude who absorbed Universes in Chaos War. Thor confirmed he could one shot Ego recently. You have the huge awesome Werewolf guy from Under World movies making the most powerful black superhero around, in Blue Marvel, (he's a pretty good comics writer too)  coming out saying his character is stronger than Supes, but weaker than Thor lol (of course it doesn't make it true, this is to an example of how people see the characters) In Spider-Man big time, you have Spider-Man explaining to Anya, that she will always come across people more powerful than her, and thats true of all heroes... well... except Thor. The dude is given plenty of cred. There are more characters now, as in more than 10, so naturally other characters will get slapped on the back as well. Are people fans of characters just for the ego trips they get by getting to tell other fans they love a character that can't lose? I dunno, I can't buy that sort of reasoning. 

Characterization? Thor saying shut up? lol Those are things that are more legit to have a gripe with. Thor needing to die, because he does panic and try and kill everything out of insecurity? Now that sounds weak. 
"
LMAO! You tell them, SC!
#44 Posted by Alternaut (483 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny because the first issue of Fear Itself had Odin calling Thor a ninny throughout the book. Then he gave his child a whoopin' for talking back.


Do I think he's de-evolved to a pathetic sissy girl? No. I think he's just as hard as he's always been. I don't remember Thor using the full extent of his strength off the bat. Like SC said he doesn't panic and lash out and try to kill. That's not in his character, IMO. 

Do I think his characterization is slightly softer as of late? Yes. In comparison to JMS's Thor to current Fraction's Thor...Fraction's Thor comes off like a hippie, just the way he talks and carries himself--though not COMPLETELY different from JMS's Thor [he still has retained his air of "I'm a god, sh!t yourself when you see me"] JMS's Thor was much more serious. Though, I'm not sure if Fraction's Thor was even a factor when this thread was made...the topic seems to be about Void/Sentry, I don't think Bendis did Thor much injustice. To be honest, as bad as many people Siege was I think it would've been much worse if Thor bludgeoned Sentry/Void to death minutes into their encounter. That would've been low-balling Sentry, too...so...
#45 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@warlock360 said:
" Thor should kill Void off, not get killed off. "
Bendis couldn't even write this correctly, the Sentry/Void was saying "kill me" before Thor landed the final death blow. So many Sentry fans can now argue Thor didn't in fact win the fight, Sentry lost because he wanted to die
#46 Posted by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alternaut said:
" It's funny because the first issue of Fear Itself had Odin calling Thor a ninny throughout the book. Then he gave his child a whoopin' for talking back.

"
That's kind of in character, there's no shame in losing to Big Daddy. The Skyfather Odin has incredible powers.
#47 Posted by Hoboseid (1019 posts) - - Show Bio
Thor asks Hulk: "WTf am i doing here, is this a 1980s commercial?"
#48 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

No, never a sissy.

#49 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackestShite said:

Back in the day a big muscle bond Viking with long hair swinging a mighty hammer might have meant something, he could stop time with his magic power, at one time he could blast away planets but not anymore.
The Thor god today is this weak blonde girly man that used to appear in 80s shampoo commercials

some evidence:
.

A spindly Sentry/Void attacks and how does Thor react? He blocks it by sticking his chest out and gets owned instead....what a neanderthal dumbass. Vision a guy who can go intangible...stands around like a moron gets bi0tch slapped

Cap a real hero blocks the Japanese Sentry's hentai tentacles on his shield
Defense

Attack
Then chucks his shield and decapitates the Sentry

Go Cap!

This is the man who beat Hitler, a lame Superman/Miracleman rip off isn't going to scare Cap
Thor hasn't won a big, big fight in a long, long time, he got owned by Hulk, by Superman, by the U-Foes, by Rulk, Classic Thor is much stronger than modern Thor I think some writers like Straczynski might have been build him up to his level of classical of power but he writes for DC now Thor has dropped to even lower standards owned by Osborn, and beating by the f-ing Taskmaster The Thunder God is lame now and does not deserve to be near the heavy weight elite Kill the Sentry but also kill Thor, he's a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Thor that Lee/Kirby wrote

Mmmm.

Yep. Pretty much.

#50 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

No, never a sissy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.