Does Thor have Super-Speed?

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

In a battle thread recently Thor was mentioned by others to be super fast. Some even compared his speed to Superman.  
 
I have looked at various bio's on Thor and can't find one to officially state that he has super speed.  
 
I know that there has been comics where he was shown doing something but nothig else.
 
So whats up? Is this true or not?  
 

 
#2 Posted by ThunderShade (134 posts) - - Show Bio

He has been known to 'outspeed' Quicksilver and he can go toe to toe with the Silver Surfer so he must be pretty fast. . .

#3 Posted by GT-Man (3945 posts) - - Show Bio

He is FAST
#4 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man said:
"He is FAST "

@ThunderShade said:
"He has been known to 'outspeed' Quicksilver and he can go toe to toe with the Silver Surfer so he must be pretty fast. . . "


But have you seen anything officially doc that he has such speeds? 
It's not stated in the Marvel Encyclopedia  
Not in the Marvel U series 
 
I know his hammer allows him to travel at super-speed like in space travel 
But is Thor fast in reaction speed or in battle
#5 Posted by manx422 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

No he never displayed High combat speed
Spinning Mjolnir does not qualify as combat speed

#6 Edited by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_(Thor_Odinson)
 
Superhuman Speed: Thor's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at superhuman speeds far greater than the finest human athlete. He is so fast, he is capable of moving at speeds faster than the human eyes can see, and he was able to create trenches before his teammates, including superhumanly fast beings such as Quicksilver, could react. He was stated by Hela herself to move at speeds beyond comprehension and he has moved as fast as the space winds and the lighting he commands. 
 
Check the power grid on that page too.  Thor has a speed of 7 out of 7.
 
 http://marvel.com/universe/Thor
 
On that power grid he has an "official" rating of 6 out of 7, which means "speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second," but fans voted his speed as 7 out of 7.  :P

#7 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:
"http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_(Thor_Odinson)
 
Superhuman Speed: Thor's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at superhuman speeds far greater than the finest human athlete. He is so fast, he is capable of moving at speeds faster than the human eyes can see, and he was able to create trenches before his teammates, including superhumanly fast beings such as Quicksilver, could react. He was stated by Hela herself to move at speeds beyond comprehension and he has moved as fast as the space winds and the lighting he commands.   Check the power grid on that page too.  Thor has a speed of 7 out of 7.   http://marvel.com/universe/Thor  On that power grid he has an "official" rating of 6 out of 7, which means "speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second," but fans voted his speed as 7 out of 7.  :P "

Those sites are not official though 
#8 Posted by karrob (4264 posts) - - Show Bio
@StrongestOneThereIs: Just a question what makes the stats official? Or are scans the only way to accurately judge a character?
#9 Edited by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio
@manx422 said:

" No he never displayed High combat speed Spinning Mjolnir does not qualify as combat speed "

Absolutely wrong. What a wild accusation.
 

@StrongestOneThereIs:

Thor does have super speed/reflexes and has occasionally shown it. It's one of those powers that for some reason, he doesn't like to use a lot. While he isn't known for it or showcases it much, he does indeed possess it (guess it depends on the writers). A couple examples: In a classic Thor issue, he is actually shown to have micro-second combat speed during a fight, and more recently was faster than Quicksilver in combat. 
  
I think it is a combination of: 1) If Thor always used Super Speed in combat situations, he would be absolutely unstoppable. 2) Thor's character is more that he wants to use his immense strength and magical power to just pound and smash away and plain over power his opponents. He is known for almost always holding back and using 1/3 of his total power as well. Sometimes the way he fights, (ex: against the Hulk) he almost seems to want to make things an even fight.

I can post a few scans if you would like.
 
If you are talking about flight speed, yes, he absolutely has super speed. He can 'fly' (travel is probably the better word) faster than light speed, and I believe has flown several times the speed of light in the past as well.
#10 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio
@StrongestOneThereIs: How is MARVEL.com not official enough for you?
#11 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:
" @StrongestOneThereIs: How is MARVEL.com not official enough for you? "

It's kinda like Wiki
#12 Posted by deathlife (489 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by DragynWulf (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:

"http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_(Thor_Odinson)
 
Superhuman Speed: Thor's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at superhuman speeds far greater than the finest human athlete. He is so fast, he is capable of moving at speeds faster than the human eyes can see, and he was able to create trenches before his teammates, including superhumanly fast beings such as Quicksilver, could react. He was stated by Hela herself to move at speeds beyond comprehension and he has moved as fast as the space winds and the lighting he commands.   Check the power grid on that page too.  Thor has a speed of 7 out of 7.   http://marvel.com/universe/Thor  On that power grid he has an "official" rating of 6 out of 7, which means "speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second," but fans voted his speed as 7 out of 7.  :P "


Please don't use marvel.wikia.com as any kind of source of information. It is not affiliated with Marvel Comics even though the URL is tricking many into thinking they are. They put anything and everything in that website to build up characters to levels they want to. They have tried to get the "information" they add to their website to become official by hoping someone at Marvel would come across their website and believe it is correct. It has created numerous problems because of this. 
 
As for the power grid on Marvel.com website. Those power grids have not worked for years. Thor's speed is ranked at 7 due to the use of his hammer as that rank covers vehicles for characters like Ghost Rider.  

If you want an accurate telling of Thor's powers, then please check out the following link. No one can change the text as it is locked so people can't boost it up with inaccurate information. 
http://marvel.com/universe/Thor_complete_powers    
#14 Edited by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio
@DragynWulf: His speed is actually ranked 6, not 7, on the marvel.com website.  The 7 is from fan votes.  The 6 is the official one.
#15 Posted by DragynWulf (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:

"@DragynWulf: His speed is actually ranked 6, not 7, on the marvel.com website.  The 7 is from fan votes.  The 6 is the official one. "


Don't use the Marvel.com listing, because it is broken and has not worked in years as I mentioned above, use the Handbook listing. 7 is the official rank since he can throw his hammer to simulate flight at speeds up to Mach 32.   
http://marvel.com/universe/Thor_complete_powers      
"By throwing Mjolnir while grasping its leather thong, Thor can simulate flight at speeds up to Mach 32 (over 24,000 mph)." 
 
http://marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Power_Grids#SPEED     

The ability to move over land by running or flight
1 = Below normal
2 = Normal
3 = Subsonic Superhuman: peak velocity below Mach-1 (approximately 760 miles per hour)
4 = Speed of sound: peak velocity between Mach-1 to Mach-2
5 = Supersonic: peak velocity between Mach-2 to Orbital Velocity approximately 17,000 mph)
6 = Speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second
7 = Warp speed: transcending light speed or a teleporter(instantaneous travel)
   

#16 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@DragynWulf:  Speaking of shitty pwoer listings i believe they had put Cyttorack higher then Galactus :/.

#17 Posted by warlord1234 (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

He fast but not superman fast
#18 Posted by Susanoo (5868 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is stated by Adam Warlock to be as fast or even faster than Lightning (which is 270,000+ mph) and with Mjolnir, he can travel 3x faster than the speed of light. However, his hammer has been shown to travel billions of times faster than light and has teleportation powers.
#19 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Susanoo said:
"Thor is stated by Adam Warlock to be as fast or even faster than Lightning (which is 270,000+ mph) and with Mjolnir, he can travel 3x faster than the speed of light. However, his hammer has been shown to travel billions of times faster than light and has teleportation powers. "

hes around as fast as lightning so thats superspeed there and he can throw the hammer at three times the speed of light and grab hold of it possibly but thats flight speed and i only seen him do that from comics 30 years ago
#20 Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus (434 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's most definitely faster than most people give him credit for. 
 
@Valtot:
So? And recently during Siege he instantly flew to the edge of the Sun, and in Astonishing Thor, he flew to Uranus I believe, although I don't think it was instantaneous because there was enough time for a short memory sequence.

#21 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rage.Of.Olympus:
ive seenthough i cant remember it being instant unless you saw something on it that said he flew there instantly which i didnt see.
#22 Edited by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@StrongestOneThereIs said:

" @Ry Fryy said:

"http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_(Thor_Odinson)
 
Superhuman Speed: Thor's superhumanly strong legs allow him to run and move at superhuman speeds far greater than the finest human athlete. He is so fast, he is capable of moving at speeds faster than the human eyes can see, and he was able to create trenches before his teammates, including superhumanly fast beings such as Quicksilver, could react. He was stated by Hela herself to move at speeds beyond comprehension and he has moved as fast as the space winds and the lighting he commands.   Check the power grid on that page too.  Thor has a speed of 7 out of 7.   http://marvel.com/universe/Thor  On that power grid he has an "official" rating of 6 out of 7, which means "speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second," but fans voted his speed as 7 out of 7.  :P "
Those sites are not official though  "
His current Speed is 7 (Warp Speed, Tracending Light Speed)
He has shown light speed a lot of times, so yes, it's canon he is a 7.
#23 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool:
wheres that profile from cause it doesnt say anything about him moving speed of light on it. Ok though if he spins his hammer and grabs it while it goes triple light speed than thats warp light speed in flight. And that last pic is from over 30 years ago im guessing do you have any others more current. That other pic you showed never stated speed and it could of gone by in 2 seconds or 10 minutes-.
#24 Posted by karrob (4264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rage.Of.Olympus said:
" Thor's most definitely faster than most people give him credit for. 
 
@Valtot: So? And recently during Siege he instantly flew to the edge of the Sun, and in Astonishing Thor, he flew to Uranus I believe, although I don't think it was instantaneous because there was enough time for a short memory sequence. "
Yep
#25 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

He can run at superspeed due to the fact that all the gods' abilities are above mortals, but he's not able to match even mid-level speedsters let alone top-level ones.
#26 Posted by Insignia (137 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeadCool  
Wow, According to that chart, his fighting skills and intelligence are pretty poor...If those are his stats I wonder what Hulk's are...
#27 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Insignia:
hulks intelligence is 1 though 0 when mindless
#28 Posted by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot said:
" @Deadcool: 1)wheres that profile from cause it doesnt say anything about him moving speed of light on it. Ok though if he spins his hammer and grabs it while it goes triple light speed than thats warp light speed in flight. And that last pic is from 1) over 30 years ago im guessing do you have any others more current. That other pic you showed never stated speed and 3) it could of gone by in 2 seconds or 10 minutes-. "
  1. Look at the power grid, he has a 7 in speed.
  2. I have current pics too, but it doesn't expalin his speed, just like old comics used to do.
  3. Well, at least he seems to be pretty fast in that pic, lol.
@Insignia said:
" @DeadCool   Wow, According to that chart, his fighting skills and intelligence are pretty poor...If those are his stats I wonder what Hulk's are... "
I don't know what the hell with fighting skills, almost all the powerful characters have poor fighting skills, but he is suposed to be the God of thunder and also War (and a lot of more things).
And I don't know why the power grid doesn't show the intelligence of the Dr Donald Blake in yellow bars (he is suposed to have a Genius level).
#29 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool:
yes but teleportation also counts as warp speed but your right he can spin the hammer at 3 times the speed of light and grab onto it for flight speed but he wouldnt do that in mid combat lol hed leave earth to fast or kill alot of people or even in space as its flight speed. But yes for the querstion of the thread hes got super speed just not high and mighty speedster speed. Bty i know about the power ratings but they depend on alot of things like teleportation and such. The reason for fighting style is because thor is a experienced fighter we all know that but he isnt a master of a single fighting style or many unless hammer combat is one lol. But ye hes super speed in combat can go to lighting speeds but not warp speed thats for straight travel. I hope everything we have shown and said answers the thread starters questions. Didnt know thors intell was at 2 lol
#30 Posted by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot said:
" @Deadcool: 1) yes but teleportation also counts as warp speed but your right he can spin the hammer at 3 times the speed of light and grab onto it for flight speed but he wouldnt do that in mid combat lol hed leave earth to fast or kill alot of people or even in space as its flight speed. But yes for the querstion of the thread hes got super speed just not high and mighty speedster speed. 1) Bty i know about the power ratings but they depend on alot of things like teleportation and such. 2)The reason for fighting style is because thor is a experienced fighter we all know that but he isnt a master of a single fighting style or many unless hammer combat is one lol. But ye hes super speed in combat can go to lighting speeds but not warp speed thats for straight travel. I hope everything we have shown and said answers the thread starters questions. 3)Didnt know thors intell was at 2 lol "
  1. Yes but if he were a 7 for his teleportation he would have yellow bars isntead all red, just like Ultimate Thor.
  2. Oh well, maybe you are right, Vikings are not known for being Martial Artists, they are known for being salvage Berserkers.
  3. Yes he has just normal intelligence, but I think that Donald Blake's intelligence should be noted there in yellow bars, he is a 5.
 Yellow bars because he is a teleporter.
#31 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool:
ye he is a teleporter though i said thor can be warp speed because he can swing his hammer at 3 times light speed and grab it to fly at high speeds in space for fast travel
#32 Posted by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot:  Yes, you said that in your previous comment.
#33 Posted by TheCosmicMind (10 posts) - - Show Bio

 
Here, Thor fights Heimdall and swings his hammer down on him at speeds "moving too swiftly for the eye to follow," even too fast for Heimdall in Journey Into Mystery #125:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed06JIM125.jpg
 
  Thor digs a trench in a blur of motion that is "almost too fast for the human eye to follow." From Marvel Team-Up #26:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed10MarvelTeam-Up26.jpg
 
 While helping rebuild Asgard, Thor hammers down repeatedly on a pillar and "becomes a blur of motion" in Thor #267:    
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed14267.jpg
 
  Here, Thor reacts to a knife being swung down only inches from his face with a mighty heave in Thor #218:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed11218.jpg

Thor reacts and swats away arrows that are only a few feet away from hitting him from behind in Thor vol. 2 #27:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed23v207.jpg
 
Thor is about to have his face smashed by a cursed Mjolnir which is zooming back to him, but he moves swiftly enough on reaction to dodge it in Thor vol. 2 #27:
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed25.jpg 
 
  Here, Thor builds a trench around crazed citizens and Avengers, including a zooming Quicksilver in Avengers #98:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed09Avengers098.jpg 

  Here, Thor punks the Newman speedster, Juvan, who was created by the High Evolutionary, using nothing but his bare hands in Thor #447:  
  http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed17447.jpg
 
Here, Thor catches another High Evolutionary creation who possesses superspeed, the godling, Zefra in Thor #475:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed21475.jpg 
 
And Thor has punked the superspeedster, Hermes, the literal Greek God of Speed, not just once, but twice in Avengers #281 and Thor vol. 2 #27:
  http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed16Avengers281.jpg
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed24.jpg 
  
  Here, he literally snatches a fired tank shell out of mid-air with his bare hand in Journey Into Mystery #93:
  http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed02JIM93.jpg 
 
  Here, we see Thor flying outside a window and when Jane Foster gets his attention, Thor manages to intercept Cobra's poison dart within a split-second. The dart is fired before he even is inside the room, just to give you the proper frame of reference to understand the speed and reflexes necessary in Journey Into Mystery #98:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed03JIM98.jpg
 
  Here, in the space of micro-seconds before a zooming cursed Mjolnir will strike Thor from behind, Thor lays a haymaker onto an Enchanter and spins around in time to snatch Mjolnir in mid-air, from Thor #144:
 http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed08144.jpg 

  As for FTL reactions that can be measured in nanoseconds (light travels one foot per nanosecond), he's swung and swatted away Blastaar's energy blasts in Thor #270:
  http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Stats/ThorSuperspeed15270.jpg 
 
  Vs Quicksilver
Thor:"i have vanquished fleeter foes"
 http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/ankur2292/?action=view&current=TMA034020.jpg
 http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/ankur2292/?action=view&current=TMA034020.jpg 

#34 Edited by MutenRoshi (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's best feats of speed come from his Classic Stan/Jack comics, JMS also had some cool feats with him putting Thor back near classical / odinforce levels 
 
Brian Bendis and JoeQ the pair who basically controlled Marvel Marvel verse from 2002 - 2010 didn't care for Thor, they preferred to fan wank a lame character called Sentry and give any super feats to this lame new character. Thor was put on the bench as a new really lame character was forced down everyone's throat, but times change . Thor having a big box office movie will probably come back to being the lead face for Marvel but the past decade he wasn't, Marvel hated him, he was just a dumb beefcake with a hammer that Hulk would beat on  
and Marvel's super rank was changed, top ties changed, they replaced him with Sentry. The company Marvel never had copyright to the Thor brand, he's not Stan or Marvel he's myth like Zeus or Osiris...its mythology so nobody owns him but opinions at Marvel HQ change
With the success of Xmen and Ironman Marvel gambled and made an investment in Thor, it paid of and his comics and movie did very well 
 
if you want speed feats for Thor go back to the years when JoeQ and Bendis weren't at Marvel, also avoid years between Kurt Busiek/Tom Brevoort although both of these guys are good writers neither of them understood Thor, the writer Busiek claimed a few times that Thor would be seriously injured by a bullet....LOL epic fail
Go to Classic or JMS for his feats, avoid the rest

#35 Edited by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio
@IKnowEverything said:

@Ry Fryy said:

@StrongestOneThereIs: How is MARVEL.com not official enough for you?
lol good point
That site also states that Warpath can fly...how long has it been since he can't do that?
Also says that Sunspot still has all of his original abilities but he has been written differently in the last couple of years. 
 
That site is hardly up to date.
#36 Posted by IKnowEverything (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok... find a site on comics that is perfect. lol. they arent. people disagree on characters/ events. not to mention characters change over time because of how they are written. good job finding issue with MARVEL.com, but its not a big deal. there are tons of issues with comicvine as well. that seems to just be how this works.  plus sunspot and warpath have nothing to do with this thread. finding issue in their details doesnt mean the whole site is useless and outdated. 
 
look at the post above from TheCosmicMind. that kind of settles it anyway.

#37 Edited by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio
@IKnowEverything said:

Ok... find a site on comics that is perfect. lol. they arent. people disagree on characters/ events. not to mention characters change over time because of how they are written. good job finding issue with MARVEL.com, but its not a big deal. there are tons of issues with comicvine as well. that seems to just be how this works.  plus sunspot and warpath have nothing to do with this thread. finding issue in their details doesnt mean the whole site is useless and outdated.  look at the post above from TheCosmicMind. that kind of settles it anyway.

Never said any site was perfect. 
They were examples to show that characters are hardly kept up to date on that site. Pretty sure if i had the time I could find more. 
And I've seen most of Thor's speed feats from decades ago. I'm referring to how things are today.
#38 Posted by SC (13341 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.  
 
Comparing him with a character like Superman is tricky though, because DC has lots of fast characters and Superman is more popular than Thor. This sort of means that Superman will end up having far more examples of using super speed. Not just that, a writer things of Superman, he is going to probably mention it as one of his main powers. With Thor, its more of a secondary power. Well, I mean the speed reactions and use of speed against characters. Up in space he flies faster than light. So anyway, sometimes when Thor fights a really weak character? Chances are he will be slowed down (Puma for example) but if Thor is fighting a character that is a bit more powerful? Thor's speed and the guy he is fighting speed is more matched (think Gladiator, Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, etc etc)  
 
So depends really. Context and circumstance. Creative discretion. (this applies for a few characters too)

Moderator
#39 Posted by gravitypress (2066 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: I agree. DC likes to show what their characters can do way more than Marvel.
#40 Posted by XR (8 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
Yes.   Comparing him with a character like Superman is tricky though, because DC has lots of fast characters and Superman is more popular than Thor. This sort of means that Superman will end up having far more examples of using super speed. Not just that, a writer things of Superman, he is going to probably mention it as one of his main powers. With Thor, its more of a secondary power. Well, I mean the speed reactions and use of speed against characters. Up in space he flies faster than light. So anyway, sometimes when Thor fights a really weak character? Chances are he will be slowed down (Puma for example) but if Thor is fighting a character that is a bit more powerful? Thor's speed and the guy he is fighting speed is more matched (think Gladiator, Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, etc etc)   So depends really. Context and circumstance. Creative discretion. (this applies for a few characters too)

Agreed
#41 Edited by EdBlank (573 posts) - - Show Bio

@DragynWulf said:

@Ry Fryy said:

"@DragynWulf: His speed is actually ranked 6, not 7, on the marvel.com website. The 7 is from fan votes. The 6 is the official one. "


Don't use the Marvel.com listing, because it is broken and has not worked in years as I mentioned above, use the Handbook listing. 7 is the official rank since he can throw his hammer to simulate flight at speeds up to Mach 32.
http://marvel.com/universe/Thor_complete_powers
"By throwing Mjolnir while grasping its leather thong, Thor can simulate flight at speeds up to Mach 32 (over 24,000 mph)."

http://marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Power_Grids#SPEED

The ability to move over land by running or flight
1 = Below normal
2 = Normal
3 = Subsonic Superhuman: peak velocity below Mach-1 (approximately 760 miles per hour)
4 = Speed of sound: peak velocity between Mach-1 to Mach-2
5 = Supersonic: peak velocity between Mach-2 to Orbital Velocity approximately 17,000 mph)
6 = Speed of light: peak velocity up to 186,000 miles per second
7 = Warp speed: transcending light speed or a teleporter(instantaneous travel)

*confused*

24,000 MPH < 186,000 miles PER SECOND...... right? Seems like about level 5 to me.

Also: I wish they would just define the character's powers from the beginning and stick to those limits. Basically all these heavy hitters can just do anything. G-d that's boring.

#42 Posted by Spidermanfan1461 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

do you guys work out a lot

#43 Posted by King_Thor (96 posts) - - Show Bio

As mentioned above, Thor can move beyond light speed with Mjolnir.

In terms of reaction/combat speed? He has demonstrated superhuman speed in the microsecond range and demonstrated superhuman speed on other occasions as well.

#44 Posted by PastePotPete (706 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Yes.

Comparing him with a character like Superman is tricky though, because DC has lots of fast characters and Superman is more popular than Thor. This sort of means that Superman will end up having far more examples of using super speed. Not just that, a writer things of Superman, he is going to probably mention it as one of his main powers. With Thor, its more of a secondary power. Well, I mean the speed reactions and use of speed against characters. Up in space he flies faster than light. So anyway, sometimes when Thor fights a really weak character? Chances are he will be slowed down (Puma for example) but if Thor is fighting a character that is a bit more powerful? Thor's speed and the guy he is fighting speed is more matched (think Gladiator, Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, etc etc)

So depends really. Context and circumstance. Creative discretion. (this applies for a few characters too)

eh? wonderman??

#45 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

His combat speed has been shown to be below Wolverines, on panel. Thor even confirms this, on panel.

He is faster than any normal being, he could be categorized as having super human speed, but he is millions of times slower than Supes or Surfer. Anyone who is arguing that is out of their minds.

#46 Posted by PastePotPete (706 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Yes.

Comparing him with a character like Superman is tricky though, because DC has lots of fast characters and Superman is more popular than Thor. This sort of means that Superman will end up having far more examples of using super speed. Not just that, a writer things of Superman, he is going to probably mention it as one of his main powers. With Thor, its more of a secondary power. Well, I mean the speed reactions and use of speed against characters. Up in space he flies faster than light. So anyway, sometimes when Thor fights a really weak character? Chances are he will be slowed down (Puma for example) but if Thor is fighting a character that is a bit more powerful? Thor's speed and the guy he is fighting speed is more matched (think Gladiator, Wonder Man, Silver Surfer, etc etc)

So depends really. Context and circumstance. Creative discretion. (this applies for a few characters too)

wonderman isnt fast nor is captain britian but wonderman can shoot energy so that mite match his speed

#47 Edited by PastePotPete (706 posts) - - Show Bio

wat is going on

#49 Posted by SC (13341 posts) - - Show Bio

@pastepotpete: Saying that he isn't fast without a reference point isn't really that helpful as far affirming or denying a claim about him. They are fictional characters so it depends, but to me any character that leaves speed trails and can surprise other characters with how fast they move, act react and so on I am considering fast for the purpose of my aforementioned point. Hope that helps.

Moderator
#50 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Thor was fast, not quite speedster fast for sure, but fast. Modern Thor, basically any version since the late 80s is slow IN COMBAT. He can travel at lightspeed in open space, sure, but he cant dodge, strike, or maneuver fast at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.