Does Thor have super-combat-speed?

• 142 results
Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) 11 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Does Thor have super-combat-speed? (96 votes)

Yes 49%
No 51%

The answer is clear but I just want to see the numbers. After debating someone about this in another battle thread.

#1 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't be afraid to comment guys

#2 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is way faster than him easily in combat speed

#3 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Wolverine and Spider-man are two of the fastest Marvel characters in combat. Marvel, in general, is not speed-centric as DC.

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow. I can't believe Thor got any yes'

#5 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: Many people say Thor is faster for some odd reason

#6 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

I think CV gets a little too obsessed with speed. The real question is does Thor regularly have a difficulty hitting opponents? The answer is no. INB4 Wolverine and Mongoose. Other than those two, which get named in every Thor fight, Thor has hit pretty much everyone he's ever fought (including DS Sentry who is extremely fast).

#7 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: That's because they opte kit to use their speed or the fight would have been over very quickly and it would have been a boring read.

#8 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@green_skaar: That's because they opte kit to use their speed or the fight would have been over very quickly and it would have been a boring read.

Or people fight to the level of their competition. It happens in the real world too.

#9 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

I think CV gets a little too obsessed with speed. The real question is does Thor regularly have a difficulty hitting opponents? The answer is no. INB4 Wolverine and Mongoose. Other than those two, which get named in every Thor fight, Thor has hit pretty much everyone he's ever fought (including DS Sentry who is extremely fast).

#10 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: I disagree. You can't hit something If you can't catch it. Simple as that.

#11 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Thats why we invented bullets

But seriously, no Thor might or might not have superspeed but he never had a difficulty hitting an opponent

#12 Edited by Wolverine08 (40598 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

This.

#13 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: Which is just the writing. If sentry moved A's fast A's he could Thor wouldn't and shouldn't be able to land a blow

#14 Posted by youmessinwithme (1184 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar said:

@sog7dc said:

it's been stated at micro second in the past(i think i know there are alot of split second and other such, and catching weapons that are literally like an inch away from the back of his head in one panel and he's turned around and caught it in the next), and he's caught people with Super speed pretty often, it only really gets to be a problem when debating about him vs DC powerhouses who usually have stated Nano second re-action speed (or higher in the case of the flas. But the above is so true He can tag death Sentry who can Go lightyears in what minutes? maybe seconds? and he's never had trouble tagging the Surfer, (who is Hyperspeed across Galaxy's in a breath fast) and in the first time Thor ever Throws the hammer at the Surfer The Surfer says something along the lines of how can a mere hammer out fly the silver surfer??(i'm parapgrasing, don't have scan infront of me at the moment)

also if Thor can steer when traveling at multiple times the Speed of light, doesn't that pretty much mean he has to have some really, really crazy good reaction speed?

#15 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: No no. I will never indulge in a Thor vs Sentry battle. I know next to nothing about Sentry and everything is always up to whomever is writing a title at the moment. I`ll hang around and wait. Things will happen in Uncanny Avengers

#16 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel said:

@sog7dc: No no. I will never indulge in a Thor vs Sentry battle. I know next to nothing about Sentry and everything is always up to whomever is writing a title at the moment. I`ll hang around and wait. Things will happen in Uncanny Avengers

Yeah I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Thor in UA.

#17 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@youmessinwithme:

Him tagging sentry was just plot. He hasn't displayed any combat speed in that level. But if writers made sentry just beat the crap out of Thor with his superior speed it wouldve been boring and Thor fans would have been mad.

2. Surfer has shown great travel speed but not Great operational combat speed.

3. And throwing something FTL does not equal fighting FTL. Tsall bolt can run 100 meters faster than anyone on the planet but flloyd mayweather has faster combat speed than usain will ever have

4. No. That's travel speed. Not combat speed

#18 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@youmessinwithme:

Him tagging sentry was just plot. He hasn't displayed any combat speed in that level. But if writers made sentry just beat the crap out of Thor with his superior speed it wouldve been boring and Thor fans would have been mad.

What sort of consistent standard do you use to determine when something is done for "just plot" or to avoid "mad fans"?

#19 Posted by youmessinwithme (1184 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc:

how about like every other person with Super speed he's fought?

Surfer has Nano second reaction speed. and may times faster than light flight.

and I know the flight is travel speed. but if i put you for example or anyone else with regular human reaction speed behind something that was going many times faster than light I don't think you would be able to steer it. i'm not saying he can throw a punch or a kick that fast but if he can steer at those kinds of speeds in close quarters doesn't he, or shouldn't he rather, have to be able to think that fast?

#20 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: Its just logic tbh. Sentry is shown to have superior combat speed to Thor. So for Thor to suddenly be able to keep up with him it's obviously the plot at work. And or it was done to appease Thor fans. A fanbase that consistently complains because of "jobbing"

#21 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Super combat speed? No. But somehow, someway, this has never really been an issue for him.

I mean, Deathstroke has tagged Flash before, right? I'm pretty sure Deathstroke isn't even remotely supersonic, much less superluminal.

trying to think of other instances where "slow" or slower characters have hit much faster ones.

#22 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@youmessinwithme:

Surfer has not shown combat speed that is in anyway congruent to his travel speed. Unless you have a scan to prove otherwise? And that theory works in the real

World but not in comics. If it were true in comics you'd see Thor speedblitz somebody once in a while and cap wouldn't have complained about how slow thor is.

And like I said before (sorry if I sound rude) but prove surfer has nano second reactions.

#23 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Wolverine and Spider-man are two of the fastest Marvel characters in combat. Marvel, in general, is not speed-centric as DC.

I get spidey, but why would wolverine be one of the fastest? The extra 100lbs of metal weighing him down? The marvel wiki only gives him 3/7 for speed. Or are they all slow except quicksilver?

#24 Edited by Wolverine08 (40598 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

@green_skaar said:

@kgb725 said:

I get spidey, but why would wolverine be one of the fastest? The extra 100lbs of metal weighing him down? The marvel wiki only gives him 3/7 for speed. Or are they all slow except quicksilver?

Wolverine is pretty fast. In his first fight with Spider-Man, Logan was moving so fast in short bursts that Spider-Man thought Wolverine could be possibly faster than him.

#27 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

@green_skaar said:

@kgb725 said:

Wolverine is pretty fast. In his first fight with Spider-Man, Logan was moving so fast in short bursts that Spider-Man thought Wolverine could be possibly faster than him.

those wacky writers, can't follow their own wiki

#28 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@green_skaar: Its just logic tbh. Sentry is shown to have superior combat speed to Thor. So for Thor to suddenly be able to keep up with him it's obviously the plot at work. And or it was done to appease Thor fans. A fanbase that consistently complains because of "jobbing"

Because he is a constant jobber. You forget comics are a business and decisions are made without any logic or consistency but to make the fans happy and excited. People will always lowball Thor by saying he's slower than Cap or Wolverine which only happens for the plot. Thor can one-shot them both but it wouldn't be exciting and go against the Marvel way of always trying to leave it a draw no matter how ridiculous. Superman who's extremely fast has been tagged a lot by slow opponents as well, but nobody calls him slow. People tend to remember the fast feats for Superman and sweeps the slow ones under the rug and do the opposite for Thor. Its also hard for Thor to speedblitz opponents more powerful than him and the fact its harder for Thor to speedblitz as opposed to Superman

As for jobbing, he's been jobbing a lot over the years. Thor realistically should never lose to Hulk and a lot of other people but doesn't because Thor either uses none of his powers or uses only lightening. Mjolnir gives Thor a lot of other powers few people are aware of like force fields, energy absorption and matter manipulation.

@sog7dc said:

@youmessinwithme:

Surfer has not shown combat speed that is in anyway congruent to his travel speed. Unless you have a scan to prove otherwise? And that theory works in the real

World but not in comics. If it were true in comics you'd see Thor speedblitz somebody once in a while and cap wouldn't have complained about how slow thor is.

And like I said before (sorry if I sound rude) but prove surfer has nano second reactions.

I have other combat feats if you need them......

#29 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Ok, including the Nova prime one.

Surfer vs Hulk and the Warbound.

Surfer vs Red Shift

Random Combat Speed.

Silver Surfer vs Deathurge and a random speed scan for the lol's

#31 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by dondave (35957 posts) - - Show Bio

Fighting fast people doesn't make you fast if they don't use their speed against you. Silver Surfer, Gladiator and others are much more faster than Thor but since they don't actually use said speed in their battles Thor is able to tag them, otherwise he'd be getting stomped all the time.

#33 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (3591 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Fighting fast people doesn't make you fast if they don't use their speed against you. Silver Surfer, Gladiator and others are much more faster than Thor but since they don't actually use said speed in their battles Thor is able to tag them, otherwise he'd be getting stomped all the time.

QFT

#34 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (5081 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK. But you see him from time-to-time taking on SS or Gladiator. Marvel doesn't always write their characters that way.

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@sog7dc said:

Because he is a constant jobber. You forget comics are a business and decisions are made without any logic or consistency but to make the fans happy and excited. People will always lowball Thor by saying he's slower than Cap or Wolverine which only happens for the plot. Thor can one-shot them both but it wouldn't be exciting and go against the Marvel way of always trying to leave it a draw no matter how ridiculous. Superman who's extremely fast has been tagged a lot by slow opponents as well, but nobody calls him slow. People tend to remember the fast feats for Superman and sweeps the slow ones under the rug and do the opposite for Thor. Its also hard for Thor to speedblitz opponents more powerful than him and the fact its harder for Thor to speedblitz as opposed to Superman

As for jobbing, he's been jobbing a lot over the years. Thor realistically should never lose to Hulk and a lot of other people but doesn't because Thor either uses none of his powers or uses only lightening. Mjolnir gives Thor a lot of other powers few people are aware of like force fields, energy absorption and matter manipulation.

TBH I do agree with some of these points.

#36 Posted by Thorverine (309 posts) - - Show Bio

It's plot when he can't tag someone, not when he can.

#37 Edited by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's some of Thor's feats of power:

Thor flexes and snaps adamantium alloy cables like they were nothing, from Thor #309:

Does this look familiar? Twenty years later, Thor literally re-performs his feat of lifting a metal railway and sustaining the weight of a passing train as it races by, from Thor #319:

Early on, Thor pushes over the Leaning Tower of Pisa with his finger, from Journey Into Mystery #92:

And large numbers already are quantified as Thor leg presses millions of tons of rock onto the Destroyer, from Journey Into Mystery #119:

After the villain, Graviton, finds his powers uncontrollable, he compresses an entire floating city into a sphere, and Thor, along with several other Avengers, find themselves supporting and then heaving millions of tons of weight into the Atlantic, from Avengers #159:

Thor tows the small island, Hydrobase, into New York harbor, from Avengers #301:

At the conclusion of Acts of Vengeance, Thor closes a chasm of a "million tons of earth" over Loki, fromWest Coast Avengers #55:

Here Thor crushes a force-field of the Power Cosmic (amped by Loki's power) that keeps him from Mjolnir, from Silver Surfer #4:

Here, Thor destroys another of Silver Surfer's force-fields with a single strike, from Silver Surfer #4:

As for pure collateral damage, a single punch met with the same force has leveled a countryside, fromThor #338:

And with repeated blows? Thor and Red Norvell literally wreck Asgard with their fist-fight and almost deafen Heimdall, from Thor #476:

Thor literally matches a Savage Hulk's strength in a grappling contest for an entire hour, from Defenders#10:

Indeed, his punch is so powerful that combined with a punch of equal strength, it is capable of actually closing dimensional rifts, from Avengers #100:

Here, he stalemates immortal Hercules in a contest of arm-wrestling, from Thor #222:

Thor resists a force "as though half a planet" were bearing down on him, from Thor #140:

Thor resists the gravimetric pull akin to "that of a neutron star" and busts out, from Thor #281:

Thor actually lifts the Midgard Serpent who is powerful enough to crush the earth. Note that the catastrophic effects of such a feat are actually physically felt on Earth, from Thor #32:

Survives the weight of twenty planets in Thor annual vol 1. #9 :

Thor has resisted extreme ranges of heat throughout his career. Thor doesn't even register a reaction when immersed in lava, from Avengers #5:

Thor walks around inside the furnace of the trolls, whose fires were used to forge Mjolnir, from Thor#211:

Magical fire-bolts engulf Thor to no effect, from Thor #292:

Ghost Rider's pure hellfire blasts are useless in Avengers #214:

Cosmic fire-bolts from the Herald, Firelord, have a similarly negligible effect in Thor #306:

And Thor has literally stood in the center of the Sun while confronting Atum in Thor Annual #14:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Thor effortlessly resists arctic forces summoned by the Executioner in one of his first fights in Journey Into Mystery #103:

Here, Thor resists the "devastating energy of an exploding sun" from the Executioner's axe, from Journey Into Mystery #103:

Thanos' fleet nails Thor with a salvo of energy blasts and the mere indirect impact knocks both Captain Marvel and Ironman unconscious in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2:

Thor is not only immune to electricity blasts, but indeed refreshed by them as shown in Thor #288:

One of his most impressive feats, Thor survives being rocked by multiple blasts by the Fourth Host of Celestials, from Thor #300:

Thor's unconscious body isn't even destroyed by a Doomsday Bomb capable of destroying a planet, fromThor #387:

And while empowered by the Odinforce,Thor has resisted the Destroyer's beam of total disintegration inThor vol. 3 #5:

Here, we see Thor flying outside a window and when Jane Foster gets his attention, Thor manages to intercept Cobra's poison dart within a split-second. The dart is fired before he even is inside the room, just to give you the proper frame of reference to understand the speed and reflexes necessary inJourney Into Mystery #98:

Thor digs a trench in a blur of motion that is "almost too fast for the human eye to follow." From Marvel Team-Up #26:

And here, while helping rebuild Asgard, Thor hammers down repeatedly on a pillar and "becomes a blur of motion" in Thor #267:

Here, Thor fights Heimdall and swings his hammer down on him at speeds "moving too swiftly for the eye to follow," even too fast for Heimdall in Journey Into Mystery#125:

Here, Hela only has to touch Thor in order to ensnare his soul in 1v1 combat, but is unable to do so because of his speed, "His speed, his anger, are beyond comprehension!" From Thor #354:

Here, while fending off two Herald-level foes, Adam Warlock likens his ability to catch his staff mid-swing and his combat speed to that of lightning, "He moves like the lightning he commands, much quicker than I remember." From Infinity Watch #23:

Here, in the space of one and one-fifth seconds, Thor dives out of the sky, smashes Mjolnir down and causes a supersonic shockwave to divert a runaway truck from killing a young boy ACROSS the city inJourney Into Mystery #108:

Here, in the space of micro-seconds before a zooming cursed Mjolnir will strike Thor from behind, Thor lays a haymaker onto an Enchanter and spins around in time to snatch Mjolnir in mid-air, from Thor#144:

Here, Thor is about to have his face smashed by a cursed Mjolnir which is zooming back to him, but he moves swiftly enough on reaction to dodge it inThor vol. 2 #27:

With his great speed, without the use of his natural control over the weather, he can create winds of hurricane force or greater- than-hurricane-force air shockwaves in Journey Into Mystery #100 and #84:

Here, he literally snatches a fired tank shell out of mid-air with his bare hand and bats a barrage of them back in Journey Into Mystery #93:

And similarly snatches a fired missile with his bare hand in Marvel Team-Up #148:

Here, with FTB speed, he deflects two bullets with a single swing way back in Journey Into Mystery#100:

Here, he blocks a single bullet with the head of Mjolnir before whirling it to create a field in Thor #246:

And many times again...

Here, Thor flings Mjolnir to the farthest reaches of the galaxy in Thor: Whom The Gods Would Destroy:

And he can fling the hammer many times the speed of light and transcend the boundaries of time and space in Thor #392-393, Thor #140 and Thor #274:

As for FTL reactions that can be measured in nanoseconds (light travels one foot per nanosecond), he's swung and swatted away Blastaar's energy blasts inThor #270:

Far from a one-off FTL feat, he does the same to Mole Man's energy blaster shot in Marvel Two-In-One#96:

Here, Enchantress shoots a blast at Captain America and Thor reacts with FTL speed to cut off the energy blast in mid-flight, from Marvel Comics Presents#44:

Thor can spin Mjolnlr around fast enough to shield himself from lasers, from Thor #218:

Phoenix shoots a telepathic blast at a groggy Thor at the moment Thor's arms are at his side. AFTER the shot is fired and already traveling at him, Thor raises his arms and reflects it back with Mjolnir. Telepathy being instantaneous traditionally (as noted in the narration), we can assume for the sake of argument that it was only traveling at light-speed, making this another FTL feat, from Excalibur#428:

He can even block a constant barrage of laser vision from Count Nefaria, from Avengers #166:

He bats away a possessed Iron Man's repulsor rays in Avengers vol. 3 #3:

And again bats away ray blasts in a training session in Avengers vol. 3 #23:

Mjolnir also allows for simulated flight whereby when thrown it could pull it's wielder along:

And no matter what, it's been explained that "Thor can always control the course of his flight," from Thor#400:

In terms of flight speed, he's flown at least three times the speed of light, from Thor #185:

#38 Posted by Saren (25559 posts) - - Show Bio

@dum529001: I put your scans under a spoiler tag. At any point in the future if you feel like copy/pasting scans en masse from whatever respect thread, either post them as side-by-side thumbnails or under a spoiler tag like I've done above. Otherwise, it's a major pain for users with slow connections trying to read the page. You do this more than practically anyone, so fair warning: next time this happens, I'll just delete the scans.

#39 Posted by dondave (35957 posts) - - Show Bio

@dum529001: Blocking Energy Blasts doesn't mean you have FTL Reactions, Street Levellers do it all the time.

#40 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the writer.

#41 Edited by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave:

The way Thor blocks super-fast projectiles is done with pure speed.

Bullet dodging and deflecting does not automatically mean you have bullet speed. The way you dodged it does matter.

The point is that dodging and deflecting is not always about raw speed. Again, the way you dodge actually does matter.

A. Spider-man has early-warning thanks to his spider-sense and dodges the aim of his opponent strikes just before they fire and reach anywhere near full-speed since most of the times what he doges is too fast for him to out-race by either the speed at which he extends his limbs to make a strike of his own or flies forward like rocket.

Wolverine can do the same to missles that fly at him close enough (without the spider-sense), placing himslef in posistion to slash a missile, without moving his arm or body at missle-speed.

Dodging or diving into the aim of a projectle in the moment before its aim is right on its target does not mean your moving as fast as the object fired. Moving the moment just before the shot is fired is not about raw speed. Its just about being a step ahead of the opponent.

Being able to move your body in the same moment the projectile is already trained on its target and firing(or after its been fired) and be able to make it in time, is a true feat of speed.

When Hulk and Thor dodge and block super-fast projectiles, they do it with pure speed.

These guys are living atomic-bombs taken to the extreme!!! Muscular systems that contract with the power of nukes!

In an all out fight, unless you have the power to move with the speed of a nuclear explosion, which is light-speed or faster, you don't have chance of keeping pace with characters like Hulk and Thor through pure speed.

B. And Spider-man catching missles with his web doesn't count as a speed feat for Spider-man

Spider-man used webbing. Doesn't count as a speed feat for Spider-man himself since Spider-man's body does not move at the same rate as his webbing. That's why he has to use webbing for that kind of thing(catching missles). Spider-man's body doesn't move at anywhere near missile-speed.

Spider-man's reaction time is good but it is certainly not missile-speed.

When Hulk and Thor engage characters on the level of Spider-man, Wolverine and Thing , the punches they throw won't be same. The mere secondary air-shockwaves coming from a serious Hulk-punch/Thor-punch would be enough to kill those guys(like the secondary super-sonic shockwaves from nuclear explosions). Hulk and Thor wouldn't even have to make anywhere close to a direct hit in order to kill them.

In conclusion,

Thor is just a very fast guy and does not have to rely on agility and fighting skill to dodge and block super-fast projectiles.

#42 Edited by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Exactly.

@dum529001 So you're confusing feats of raw power and occasional inconsistent classic speed showings for Thor? Business as usual I see.

#43 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

In theory Thor should swing Mjolnir all the time it defies space and time. wolverine's speed and HF are slowed by the adamantium. Hulk has faster combat speed Thor should feel ashamed

#44 Posted by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

And you're just busy lowballing Thor while others present actual facts about him?

Business as usual.....

#45 Edited by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@dum529001: If you want to use old Thor then all anyone has to do is keep him away from mjolnir for sixty seconds. Does he have any reaction feats from the past two decades?

#46 Posted by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc:

So you're saying Thor is not as powerful as ever?

He fights the same foes he's been fighting so I don't see why you'd assume that Thor is now weaker than ever.

#47 Posted by SOG7dc (6956 posts) - - Show Bio

@dum529001: I said nothing of the sort. Idk how you extrapolated that.....I said that

1. If you want to use feats from the old Thor then all anybody has to do is keep him away from mjolnir for 60 seconds.

And

2. Thor hasn't displayed any speed feats in combat in the past two decades. Unless you have scans to prove otherwise

#48 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@dum529001: If you want to use old Thor then all anyone has to do is keep him away from mjolnir for sixty seconds. Does he have any reaction feats from the past two decades?

You really have no clue how difficult is is too keep Mjolnir from Thor. -__-

#49 Posted by Perethorn (3282 posts) - - Show Bio

NO. He only has FTL travel speed with Mjolnir.

#50 Posted by Joygirl (19286 posts) - - Show Bio

When the writers want him to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.