Do you prefer Thor's old timely or more modern dialogue?

#1 Posted by Army2442 (1740 posts) - - Show Bio

I ran acroos this issue while reading modern Thor alot, and while I love the post ragnorak JMS reboot Thor series up till fear itself I have a major issue with Thor's dialogue in comparison to his classic speech. I felt that the more classical English tone gave Thor a very unique speaking style that I well represented Thor's more noble and warrior like attributes. I realize that for some Thor's dialogue is dificult to understand but it helps seperate him from the rest of the super heroes and I also felt that dumbing it down was an insult to me as the reader. I felt that somthing signifcant was lost in the transition, Thor felt like less of a God and more like a Superman clone.

How do you guys feel about it, do you agree or do you think it was time for a change?

#2 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked when Thor used classical English, but I think what he says is more important than how he says it. :]

#3 Posted by The Stegman (24391 posts) - - Show Bio

NAY! Thou quite enjoys the old manner in which thy Odin Son spoketh, indeed, his speech instilled fear in the hearts of his enemies, thus making them quake in thine overbearing shadow.  

Aye...verily.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

Old timey is good but modern will due, too.

#5 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as it's a clean, polite, gentlenmanly speech, that shows the cultural differences, Im okay

#6 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Truly, it is better when he speaks in a Shakespearean manner.

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

NAY! Thou quite enjoys the old manner in which thy Odin Son spoketh, indeed, his speech instilled fear in the hearts of his enemies, thus making them quake in thine overbearing shadow. Aye...verily.
#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

'Tis true I doth prefer the Son of Odin to speak in the language of old

#9 Posted by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Thor was better in almost everything...

#10 Posted by Army2442 (1740 posts) - - Show Bio

@Asagod said:

I disagree, I like Thors more realistc modern costume more, as well as I prefer his current strories overall (big exceptions being the planet eaters story arch and fear itself).

#11 Posted by Galactic_Man (158 posts) - - Show Bio

@Asagod: Verily.

#12 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer him to be somewhere in between. Sometimes they go a bit over the top with the old speak.

#13 Posted by BumpyBoo (9288 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

'Tis true I doth prefer the Son of Odin to speak in the language of old

#14 Posted by SC (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

Cease good fellow! Thou doth needeth discover thine speech intolerable yest thee thy thunderer Thor find modern dayeth eloquenceth faulty. Thee thunderer Thor can still get crunketh in this mothereth and shineth his swag for Thor not needeth fear the Yolo for his is reborneth constantly as pereth the Ragnorak cycle. Here here and heed thee antiquated verbal warrior thy courage persist as heartily as Thor command thy beer from the cow to Thor's very lips. NAY, Thor is not drunketh, you lie swine, curb yourself beforeth thy wreck thyself, as the greateth bard and poet Ice Cube of the New World and Midgard sang rhythmically!!       

#15 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

NAY! Thou quite enjoys the old manner in which thy Odin Son spoketh, indeed, his speech instilled fear in the hearts of his enemies, thus making them quake in thine overbearing shadow. Aye...verily.
#16 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

Either one as long as it's not too Shakespearean.

#17 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Asagod said:

#18 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

^^^^^

This for the win. I miss the old "Shakespearean" speech. Robert Downey Jr's mocking was classic too.

#19 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Asagod said:

#20 Posted by Simon_the_digger (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

Either one as long as it's not too Shakespearean.

#21 Posted by BlackWind (6349 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way he speaks in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Especially when he tries to use modern slang with Wasp.

#22 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer his old timey speech. It gives him a sense of authenticity.

#23 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

"If thou dost wish to challenge the Odinson, thou will face the divine power of mighty MJOLNIR! Never shall the god of thunder RELENT!"

I wish I could talk like that. :p

#24 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@guttridgeb said:

I'd prefer him to be somewhere in between.

#25 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

NOW HAVE AT THEE!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.