Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Do you prefer a Thor with magic ability or advanced tech

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xybernauts

I just saw Thor again on Blu-Ray. In the live action movie, Thor's powers come from really advanced technology. I really love the movies portrayal of technology, but I have heard a complaint where the poster says he wanted to see Thor's ability portrayed as a form of magic not tech. He basically said that he wanted Iron Man to be about tech and Thor to be about magic. If anything my problem is Iron Man's failure to weave in the magical aspects of that particular book like Mandarin's rings, which has always been a part of Iron Man universe. Personally I like the mix of magic and tech in Thor. It helped to bridge the magical aspects of the Marvel universe with the technological. Does anyone else like this technological portrayal of Thor and would they prefer to see it incorporated into the comic book universe or should Thor remain exclusively magical.

As i side note, I also liked how the movie even manages to create a connection to the extraterrestrial as well.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

uhhhh...Thors abilities were magic

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

@cattlebattle said:

I haven't seen it but I'd think so.

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CodeSaint

Thor that what humans call tecnology,Asgardians call magic.Understand as you want,but for me I prefer to see the tecnology of the Asgardian from both the comics and the movies as Magitek( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek ).Also I don't want to see Dr. Strange's magic portrayed as tecnologic in the upcoming movie.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xybernauts

@ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

I haven't seen it but I'd think so.

I guess it's something left up to interpretation. The things is what I saw was really advanced technology. The best example of this is the rainbow bridge which really was some type of wormhole machine. The bed that Odin slept during the Odinsleep looked like a stasis pod, the destroyer looked kinda like a robot, in the scene after Odin rescues Thor and company from the frost giants where Odin strips Thor of his powers, it looked like Odin was able to some type of gestures to command Thor's hammer to fly to him and to command his armor to come off. From what I can gather one could even go so far as to surmise that it's Thor's armor that gives him his superpowers, because after his hammer and his armor was taken from him he was a mere mortal. He was able to be tasered, drugged in the hospital, was almost beat up by a human SHIELD agent, etc. Basically without the armor and hammer and whatever else he had on, he was just a really strong and skilled human being.

@CodeSaint said:

Thor that what humans call tecnology,Asgardians call magic.Understand as you want,but for me I prefer to see the tecnology of the Asgardian from both the comics and the movies as Magitek( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek ).Also I don't want to see Dr. Strange's magic portrayed as tecnologic in the upcoming movie.

Don't you have that backwards, what Asgardians call technology humans call magic? I really like the idea Magitek too. It's a great idea when portrayed correctly. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Strange portrayed in that light, if they can do it right, but I don't see how it would fit into a Dr. Strange movie since Dr. Strange isn't about aliens. Although I don't think the definition for magitek fits with what we see in the Thor movie. According to the website's definition magitek is technology that is powered by magic kinda like the Weasley's flying car from the second Harry Potter movie. In Thor I personally didn't see any real magic, just really advanced tech.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@xybernauts:Thor without his Hammer and armor wasn't initially someone stong. Though I'm not sure... Kind of out of my zone here.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armylife1124

He states what he comes from a place where Magic and Technology meet or are the same thing or something like that....I like that, to say it is a little of both...

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    I prefer his powers come from magic.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I like to think Asgardians are not gods but extra-dimensional beings (aliens) and they use crazy cosmic tech that others would call magic because they don't understand it

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Neither.
    BB

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

Neither.

I like to think of his (and all gods) powers as a separate kind of power; not magical, not technological, not anything else but 'divine/godly' power.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@ntb1124: I agree with your statement.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

I like to think of his (and all gods) powers as a separate kind of power; not magical, not technological, not anything else but 'divine/godly' power.

This. I think that Thor's powers not being lumped in with magic users makes him unique. I also don't agree with everyone's idea that movie Thor needs his armor to have super strength and durability. Thor isn't Iron Man. He never needed armor to be strong(Well he did when Hela cursed him, but that's beside the point). I won't believe that theory until they absolutely state it in the films. And what's wrong with having movie Thor being naturally that strong?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerHerc

@Mr. Dead Pool said:

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

This. I think that Thor's powers not being lumped in with magic users makes him unique. I also don't agree with everyone's idea that movie Thor needs his armor to have super strength and durability. Thor isn't Iron Man. He never needed armor to be strong(Well he did when Hela cursed him, but that's beside the point). I won't believe that theory until they absolutely state it in the films. And what's wrong with having movie Thor being naturally that strong?

Exactly right!

Movie Thor doesn't derive his strength from his armor nor does he get his elemental powers from it. Odin stripped him of his godly natural godly might and power and exiled him to Earth without his armor. People who somehow make a correlation between Thor's lack of powers and and being without his armor are way, way off. There is no correlation. I, like you, believe Thor is naturally strong and powerful. Neither comes from his armor.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@PowerHerc: I think people are thinking that he's like Ultimate Thor used be, needing tech to use his powers. But what they are forgetting is that movie Thor is based on Current/Classic Thor, with the only thing making him like Ult. Thor is the beard and lack of helmet.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PowerHerc

@Mr. Dead Pool: I think you're right. They're confused.

Maybe Marvel hasn't been clear enough about these matters for certain fans.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By armylife1124

@PowerHerc said:

I think the problem there is they base the movies very loosely on which ever universe, or just draw a little from here or there, so it is hard to discern at times. All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cattlebattle
    @spiderbat87 said:
    I like to think Asgardians are not gods but extra-dimensional beings (aliens) and they use crazy cosmic tech that others would call magic because they don't understand it
    well said
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By The WeatherMan

I like him kicking all kinds of booty while screaming ridiculous things like "FOR ASGARD!" That's my kind of Thor.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#20  Edited By Deadcool

Thor movie concept is the mix of 1610+616+Earth X concepts, in the Earth X the asgardians are not gods, they are "Aliens" created by the Celestials to protect the earth, that is basically what the Asgardians are in the Movie, aliens with advanced tech...

I don`t care about Thor's power source tech, magic or another crap, it doesn`t matters, for me Thor is a dude with a hammer that superpowers and fights Loki, that is all that matters...

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xybernauts

@PowerHerc said:

@Mr. Dead Pool said:

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

Exactly right!

Movie Thor doesn't derive his strength from his armor nor does he get his elemental powers from it. Odin stripped him of his godly natural godly might and power and exiled him to Earth without his armor. People who somehow make a correlation between Thor's lack of powers and and being without his armor are way, way off. There is no correlation. I, like you, believe Thor is naturally strong and powerful. Neither comes from his armor.

This is why I posted the question. The truth is you really can't tell. Marvel does a really beautiful job of straddling the fine line between magic and technology (and godly power which apparently may not in the same category as magic). I don't think people are confused as you suggest, they simply prefer their interpretation which is fine to me. It's the perfect way to portray the movie because it gives everyone what they want without betraying the spirit of the source material. This is how every comic book movie should be.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PowerHerc

@ntb1124 said:

@PowerHerc said:

I think the problem there is they base the movies very loosely on which ever universe, or just draw a little from here or there, so it is hard to discern at times. All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

You have a point, there. a really good point. I hadn't thought of that.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xybernauts

@ntb1124 said:

All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

I really don't think most people make that mistake.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By armylife1124
    @xybernauts said:

@ntb1124 said:

All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

Maybe not people on this site who have seen the different comics, but to the majority of people I would say do not have any idea there are so many different versions of any one character.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PowerHerc

@ntb1124 said:

@xybernauts said:

@ntb1124 said:

Maybe not people on this site who have seen the different comics, but to the majority of people I would say do not have any idea there are so many different versions of any one character.

I agree 100%.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Thor's hammmer

using magic but with knowledge of tech.

BataTest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BataTest

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

I agree.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGoldenOne said:
    I prefer his powers come from magic.
    RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the magic for many reasons.

1) Gods are cool. When you live in a world with resurrected WW2 super soldiers and amazing advanced tech geniuses; an Asgardian God really rounds it out

2) Magic is cool. Speaking from a narrative perspective; diversity is the spice of life. Sci-fi, Fantasy, Action, Drama, etc are all excellent tones/settings for characters to be in. While Tony is on earth explaining how he is inventing a new suit that can do X, Y, and Z; Thor can be off fighting Ethereal beings or God killers.

3) Gods who use magic are cool. Transitive property ;)

In short the idea that science and magic are the same is bologna. It's just a cheap cop out to avoid the magical part of the Marvel Universe, for whatever reason, and only serves to water down Thor as a character; resulting in his movies being more shallow as a result.

The question now becomes, with the upcoming Dr. Strange movie, will they stick with the idea that science and magic are the same; or will dive headfirst finally into the magical elements of the magical part of the Marvel Universe?

My bet is they will make Dr. Strange some kind of physicist who can alter reality thanks to (insert loosely based quantum physics explanation here).

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither.

This. ^

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Thor the god not Thor the alien. With that comes certain abilities that all gods would posses and these of course are along with his other outstanding abilities for his domain. So he was born with the ability to control the weather so his father says. Thor your god of thunder and lightning. The people then make him other things like god of the farmer and they prey to him because he brings the rain and helps with the crops.

Also he gets good ratings on fighting and defending the people so he is protector as well Thor is a multi tasking mofo and as a result is one of the most loved in his pantheon.

Thor with Tech is just a cheep nock off of Ironman and (yawn) boring.

Thor as a alien makes little sense to and is boring to write because what about the 9 realms and how they defend them and keep them safe.

Keep Thor who he is butt naked with no weapons on or armor he still would trash most villains and to say otherwise is a insult to the character.. Character You know what Stan Lee said Thor was. A god with the powers to make you stand back and go...Wow that is one bad mambojambo.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always liked that Marvel's gods were unique unto themselves. Their power is like a fusion of the cosmic and mystical. Like, for example, when Thor summoned a dead Steve Rogers during the JMS run. I thought that was cool that Thor could communicate with spirits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why Thor couldn't be a god and Asgardians can't use magic just so, as some Marvel directors/officials state it, he could exist in the same universe as Iron Man. Why can't magic and gods exist with Iron Man? Him just being an alien kind of ruins the point. Thor is supposed to be a Norse god, not some alien with really advanced technology. I'm happy they let Loki use some magic though.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I don't get why Thor couldn't be a god and Asgardians can't use magic just so, as some Marvel directors/officials state it, he could exist in the same universe as Iron Man. Why can't magic and gods exist with Iron Man? Him just being an alien kind of ruins the point. Thor is supposed to be a Norse god, not some alien with really advanced technology. I'm happy they let Loki use some magic though.

Yes they try to hard to make him human and the whole point of liking Thor is that he is not human or alien he is a god walking among mortal men and women. He has seen much been to far off worlds and defended the realm eternal with nothing but his will to be better the next day. He understands why people love and live and put them on the line each day. He also understands the gods and how they would be because he is a part of both worlds. This is the awesome part of whom Thor is. Not some lame armor and not some hammer but Thor son of Odin.

Your walk in life does not define you but you define the walk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: Yeah part of why I like Thor so much is because he's a god. Making him just an alien kind of ruins the whole point of him

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole advance tech/alien thing just completely takes away from the character.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole advance tech/alien thing just completely takes away from the character.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic , the whole advance tech kills the character for me. Why is magic so hard to do it is the core of the universe it is the spice of life.

Yet marvel messes it up.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

magic for sure.

every being nowadays has advanced tech whether their human or from another race.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I think when doctor strange comes out he will prove/solidfy that there is magic in the marvel universe.. Not just a very advance tech. and I hope they will consider thor with magic or better yet with Goldy power.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GoodBoy6

Well I think when doctor strange comes out he will prove/solidfy that there is magic in the marvel universe.. Not just a very advance tech. and I hope they will consider thor with magic or better yet with Goldy power.

no.they said that Doctor Strange abilities will be explained through some quantom/phantom bullshit or whatever.we need to understand that Mcu is based on Earth 199999 which is all science I think.thats why Thor is not a God and why there is no magic.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor. He is a mythological god. Tech just destroys the whole mythical aspect og his character.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor. He is a mythological god. Tech just destroys the whole mythical aspect og his character.

thats the point from Mcu in some way.they want to keep their characters grounded,more realistic.Dcu will have magic and Gods,which I like way more than Mcu.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.