Do you prefer a Thor with magic ability or advanced tech

#1 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw Thor again on Blu-Ray. In the live action movie, Thor's powers come from really advanced technology. I really love the movies portrayal of technology, but I have heard a complaint where the poster says he wanted to see Thor's ability portrayed as a form of magic not tech. He basically said that he wanted Iron Man to be about tech and Thor to be about magic. If anything my problem is Iron Man's failure to weave in the magical aspects of that particular book like Mandarin's rings, which has always been a part of Iron Man universe. Personally I like the mix of magic and tech in Thor. It helped to bridge the magical aspects of the Marvel universe with the technological. Does anyone else like this technological portrayal of Thor and would they prefer to see it incorporated into the comic book universe or should Thor remain exclusively magical.

As i side note, I also liked how the movie even manages to create a connection to the extraterrestrial as well.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12693 posts) - - Show Bio

uhhhh...Thors abilities were magic

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I haven't seen it but I'd think so.

#4 Posted by CodeSaint (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor that what humans call tecnology,Asgardians call magic.Understand as you want,but for me I prefer to see the tecnology of the Asgardian from both the comics and the movies as Magitek( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek ).Also I don't want to see Dr. Strange's magic portrayed as tecnologic in the upcoming movie.

#5 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

I haven't seen it but I'd think so.

I guess it's something left up to interpretation. The things is what I saw was really advanced technology. The best example of this is the rainbow bridge which really was some type of wormhole machine. The bed that Odin slept during the Odinsleep looked like a stasis pod, the destroyer looked kinda like a robot, in the scene after Odin rescues Thor and company from the frost giants where Odin strips Thor of his powers, it looked like Odin was able to some type of gestures to command Thor's hammer to fly to him and to command his armor to come off. From what I can gather one could even go so far as to surmise that it's Thor's armor that gives him his superpowers, because after his hammer and his armor was taken from him he was a mere mortal. He was able to be tasered, drugged in the hospital, was almost beat up by a human SHIELD agent, etc. Basically without the armor and hammer and whatever else he had on, he was just a really strong and skilled human being.

@CodeSaint said:

Thor that what humans call tecnology,Asgardians call magic.Understand as you want,but for me I prefer to see the tecnology of the Asgardian from both the comics and the movies as Magitek( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek ).Also I don't want to see Dr. Strange's magic portrayed as tecnologic in the upcoming movie.

Don't you have that backwards, what Asgardians call technology humans call magic? I really like the idea Magitek too. It's a great idea when portrayed correctly. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Strange portrayed in that light, if they can do it right, but I don't see how it would fit into a Dr. Strange movie since Dr. Strange isn't about aliens. Although I don't think the definition for magitek fits with what we see in the Thor movie. According to the website's definition magitek is technology that is powered by magic kinda like the Weasley's flying car from the second Harry Potter movie. In Thor I personally didn't see any real magic, just really advanced tech.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernauts:Thor without his Hammer and armor wasn't initially someone stong. Though I'm not sure... Kind of out of my zone here.

#7 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

He states what he comes from a place where Magic and Technology meet or are the same thing or something like that....I like that, to say it is a little of both...

#8 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
I prefer his powers come from magic.
#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to think Asgardians are not gods but extra-dimensional beings (aliens) and they use crazy cosmic tech that others would call magic because they don't understand it

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (57939 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither.
BB

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither.

I like to think of his (and all gods) powers as a separate kind of power; not magical, not technological, not anything else but 'divine/godly' power.

#12 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9001 posts) - - Show Bio

@ntb1124: I agree with your statement.

#13 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

I like to think of his (and all gods) powers as a separate kind of power; not magical, not technological, not anything else but 'divine/godly' power.

This. I think that Thor's powers not being lumped in with magic users makes him unique. I also don't agree with everyone's idea that movie Thor needs his armor to have super strength and durability. Thor isn't Iron Man. He never needed armor to be strong(Well he did when Hela cursed him, but that's beside the point). I won't believe that theory until they absolutely state it in the films. And what's wrong with having movie Thor being naturally that strong?

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Dead Pool said:

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

This. I think that Thor's powers not being lumped in with magic users makes him unique. I also don't agree with everyone's idea that movie Thor needs his armor to have super strength and durability. Thor isn't Iron Man. He never needed armor to be strong(Well he did when Hela cursed him, but that's beside the point). I won't believe that theory until they absolutely state it in the films. And what's wrong with having movie Thor being naturally that strong?

Exactly right!

Movie Thor doesn't derive his strength from his armor nor does he get his elemental powers from it. Odin stripped him of his godly natural godly might and power and exiled him to Earth without his armor. People who somehow make a correlation between Thor's lack of powers and and being without his armor are way, way off. There is no correlation. I, like you, believe Thor is naturally strong and powerful. Neither comes from his armor.

#15 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I think people are thinking that he's like Ultimate Thor used be, needing tech to use his powers. But what they are forgetting is that movie Thor is based on Current/Classic Thor, with the only thing making him like Ult. Thor is the beard and lack of helmet.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Dead Pool: I think you're right. They're confused.

Maybe Marvel hasn't been clear enough about these matters for certain fans.

#17 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I think the problem there is they base the movies very loosely on which ever universe, or just draw a little from here or there, so it is hard to discern at times. All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12693 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
I like to think Asgardians are not gods but extra-dimensional beings (aliens) and they use crazy cosmic tech that others would call magic because they don't understand it
well said
#19 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him kicking all kinds of booty while screaming ridiculous things like "FOR ASGARD!" That's my kind of Thor.

#20 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor movie concept is the mix of 1610+616+Earth X concepts, in the Earth X the asgardians are not gods, they are "Aliens" created by the Celestials to protect the earth, that is basically what the Asgardians are in the Movie, aliens with advanced tech...

I don`t care about Thor's power source tech, magic or another crap, it doesn`t matters, for me Thor is a dude with a hammer that superpowers and fights Loki, that is all that matters...

#21 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@Mr. Dead Pool said:

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

Exactly right!

Movie Thor doesn't derive his strength from his armor nor does he get his elemental powers from it. Odin stripped him of his godly natural godly might and power and exiled him to Earth without his armor. People who somehow make a correlation between Thor's lack of powers and and being without his armor are way, way off. There is no correlation. I, like you, believe Thor is naturally strong and powerful. Neither comes from his armor.

This is why I posted the question. The truth is you really can't tell. Marvel does a really beautiful job of straddling the fine line between magic and technology (and godly power which apparently may not in the same category as magic). I don't think people are confused as you suggest, they simply prefer their interpretation which is fine to me. It's the perfect way to portray the movie because it gives everyone what they want without betraying the spirit of the source material. This is how every comic book movie should be.

#22 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

@ntb1124 said:

@PowerHerc said:

I think the problem there is they base the movies very loosely on which ever universe, or just draw a little from here or there, so it is hard to discern at times. All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

You have a point, there. a really good point. I hadn't thought of that.

#23 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@ntb1124 said:

All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

I really don't think most people make that mistake.

#24 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernauts said:

@ntb1124 said:

All we know for sure is they chose Ult Nick Fury so most people assume it is all Ultimate versions, not the conglomeration we have been given....

Maybe not people on this site who have seen the different comics, but to the majority of people I would say do not have any idea there are so many different versions of any one character.
#25 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

@ntb1124 said:

@xybernauts said:

@ntb1124 said:

Maybe not people on this site who have seen the different comics, but to the majority of people I would say do not have any idea there are so many different versions of any one character.

I agree 100%.

#26 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

using magic but with knowledge of tech.

#27 Posted by BataTest (295 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Neither.

I agree.

#28 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGoldenOne said:
I prefer his powers come from magic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.