Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Did Thor destroy a planet or a moon?

• 75 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Edited By SOG7dc

Poll Did Thor destroy a planet or a moon? (112 votes)

It was a planet 53%
    it was a moon 47%

So this all started in this thread. @raynorj argues that this:

is the depiction of the destruction of a MOON rather than a planet. (even though the comic says and shows differently but whatever. sophist? i kid i kid.)

@raynorj argues that the second panel of this scan (comic vine wont let me upload it for some reason):

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3560934

is the same thing as the fifth panel on this page:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111126195/3291996-4180709447-QiyJA.jpg

@raynorj argues that this:

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3560972

is young thor sending Gorr to yet another, as he phrases it, "planet/moon" but logic would dictate otherwise.

As this is the succession of events in the order of their chronology:

1:http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/thor9-threethors_gorr.png

2-3:http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11113/111132409/3425615-untitled.jpg

4:http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3373771

5: http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3373772

6:http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3373773

7: i cant find this scan online but this is the one where old thor tells avenger thor to go fight gorr

8:http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111126195/3291996-4180709447-QiyJA.jpg

9:http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-3264416

there's one more scan where its actually called a "world" but im having trouble finding it now so ill post it later

• 
    RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RaynorJ

Yea i am glad you brought up your bias to it and state false logic. The only logic to it is that Thor says 2 times that it's a moon, there literally is no argument here. And calling something a world =/= a planet, where did you come up with that? World is an arbatrery term as it can mean even a piece of land and even a country can be called a world, etc...

Anyway 2 undeniable proofs about it being a moon

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Also Moons can harbor life, not just planets, it should be obvious but to some people it isn't. Anyway

http://phys.org/news174918239.html

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SOG7dc
    RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I did not say you where Thor bias i said you where biased in this argument i.e. saying things to be fact when they are not and just trying to convince others how your argument is "obviously" the right one, while mine isn't.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well I've read through my issue of TGOT and am damned if I know. One bit says "he is throwing chunks of moon at us", next bit "that's no empty moon".

Does It really matter? Some moons are pretty big, such as Ganymede which is larger than Mercury and Pluto and only a little smaller than Mars.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: That's not empty moon still means it's a moon, it's just means it's a moon that's not empty. It's like saying that's no empty bottle of coca-cola that does not mean it's pepsi or anything it just means it's a bottle of coca cola that's not empty.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By New_World_Order

@sog7dc said:

@raynorj: ME? Thor bias? lol right. I have a bias towards thor against an incarnation of Superman. right. you must have the pages mixed up in your copy of the issue

@thundergodswrath@killemall@theacidskull@powerherc

Well it says "the shattering of worlds around him". It could be he was talking about a planet and than the moon that starts cracking apart gets his attention and he seeks to save it. ( Maybe the others were uninhibited ) Best way to find out is ask the write himself.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

Well I've read through my issue of TGOT and am damned if I know. One bit says "he is throwing chunks of moon at us", next bit "that's no empty moon".

Does It really matter? Some moons are pretty big, such as Ganymede which is larger than Mercury and Pluto and only a little smaller than Mars.

There are also moons a lot larger than the Earth outside of our Solar System. We can't observe them yet but many astronomist even named them already. So that thing can be big as Saturn too who knows.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Yeah....calling it a "planet" or "moon" is basically irrelevant to the size. Some planets are tiny. Some moons are huge. Calling it one or the other doesn't make it more or less impressive.

The only difference in the terminology is a planet orbits a star, a moon orbits a planet.

Answer that question and you'll have your answer.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

There are also moons a lot larger than the Earth outside of our Solar System. We can't observe them yet but many astronomist even named them already. So that thing can be big as Saturn too who knows.

Just for the record we don't know this, the only Moons we know off are in our Solar System. But if you are talking about Marvel universe than i don't have a clue i don't know how big their moons are or if they even state a size of a planet sized moon in any comic.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either or. Still an impressive feat.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird post, moons Can be bigger then planets, technically they are all planets, moon just means the body is orbiting another planet... Well it actually means orbiting the Earth, what you mean is satellite but evermind that... So saying destroying a planet is a better feat then destroying a 'moon' is nuts, it ignores the planetoids mass, density, velocity, angular momentum...

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread says a lot.For example and off topic:Superman at best destroyed a moon but who is to say he can't take out a planet?I find it a bit frustrating when things get too technical(as why debating with street leveler are much simpler)when debating powerhouses.I mean as said some moons are bigger than planets and vice versa(I mean our moon was part of our earth wasn't it?little foggy someone help here).

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Weird post, moons Can be bigger then planets, technically they are all planets, moon just means the body is orbiting another planet... Well it actually means orbiting the Earth, what you mean is satellite but evermind that... So saying destroying a planet is a better feat then destroying a 'moon' is nuts, it ignores the planetoids mass, density, velocity, angular momentum...

Good points but this is a comic. I think it's safe to say that a moon, in comic terms, is less than a planet in terms of, well, everything. That is until Marvel or DC gives some indication as to what in their respective universes follows real physics and what is imaginary. Unless, of course, there is reason to believe that the writer intends for us all to be well versed in the field of physics or at least well versed enough to understand what you just pointed out...

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

this

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: I kinda agree, but I don't think they chose moon over planet due to scale, but because it's a rock... The size doesn't matter, it's better then saying big rocks... If its a moon, what's it orbiting?

Saying that looking at the images again, is it even orbiting a star? If I wrote the comic I'd have gone for large rock, I couldn't technically justify the term planet or Moon hehe

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good points but this is a comic. I think it's safe to say that a moon, in comic terms, is less than a planet in terms of, well, everything. That is until Marvel or DC gives some indication as to what in their respective universes follows real physics and what is imaginary. Unless, of course, there is reason to believe that the writer intends for us all to be well versed in the field of physics or at least well versed enough to understand what you just pointed out...

You're talking like you need to be an astrophysicist to understand the difference between a planet and a moon.

The definition of "Moon" is the same in the Marvel universe as it is in the real world unless specifically stated otherwise. End of story.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Some planets are the same size as moons

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@pperspectiveandreality said:

You're talking like you need to be an astrophysicist to understand the difference between a planet and a moon.

The definition of "Moon" is the same in the Marvel universe as it is in the real world unless specifically stated otherwise. End of story.

Well then maybe I didn't phrase myself appropriately. What i wanted to convey was that I did not think that Marvel or DC writers are aware of the things @hillbillymorangie pointed out when they write the stories we read. To me, when i read about fictional universes i abstain from applying real world physics unless there is reason for me to use real world physics.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some planets are the same size as moons

@thitiki said:

Yeah....calling it a "planet" or "moon" is basically irrelevant to the size. Some planets are tiny. Some moons are huge. Calling it one or the other doesn't make it more or less impressive.

The only difference in the terminology is a planet orbits a star, a moon orbits a planet.

Answer that question and you'll have your answer.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think of it as how you destroyed it.Like if you punched a planet multiple times and it breaks or if you hit once and it breaks or breaks as a side effect or it explodes spontaneously. I believe that is the question. Either way it is still impressive

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sayid_zanafi

okay.even though it wrote MOON there but we all can asume that the moon that thor shatter from his shockwave is bigger than our earths moon.i know it was not stated there but you gotta admit it,that moon looks bigger than our earths moon.THORS SHOCKWAVE SHATTER MOONS.I BET IF THOR HITS MORE WITH THE SAME ATTACK,THE SHOCKWAVE CAN STILL SHATTER PLANETS.THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY THOR ALWAYS HOLDS BACK HIS STRENGTH WHEN FIGHTING SOMEONE LIKE HULK.IF THOR WHEN ALL OUT LIKE HE DID IN THAT ISSUE,THE HULK WILL BE IN PEICES.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Did you not read the comic ? He does not destroy it he ages it.

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sayid_zanafi

AND ALSO ONE THING.I DONT KNOW IF ANYONE NOTICE BUT THOR WAS SERIOUSLY WEAKENED.THOR HAS BEEN PENATRATED BY GORRS WEAPON MULTIPLE TIMES.HIS INTERNAL ORGANS HAD BEEN DESTROYED AND SERIOSLY INJURED AND STILL MANAGE TO PULL OFF THIS AMAZING FEAT OF STRENGTH

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

If it says moon in the issue multiple times, then I'm pretty sure it's a moon. Aaron isn't going to be up for battle forum debaters arguing the distinctions between a moon sized and planet sized object, he doesn't tend to think of these things. It's still a good striking feat for Thor nonetheless.

When a letter from a fan asked for Thor to show his more versatile power set from Mjolnir, Aaron responded politely that it wouldn't make the story as fun in his mind if Thor used godblasts and energy blasts a plenty. That's the reason why Thor goes bludgeoning in first in his fights given that the writers give him a warrior's mindset. Nonetheless, in another letter, Aaron mentioned that he'd try and give Thor more use of his other powers later on so that's something I guess.

okay.even though it wrote MOON there but we all can asume that the moon that thor shatter from his shockwave is bigger than our earths moon.i know it was not stated there but you gotta admit it,that moon looks bigger than our earths moon.THORS SHOCKWAVE SHATTER MOONS.I BET IF THOR HITS MORE WITH THE SAME ATTACK,THE SHOCKWAVE CAN STILL SHATTER PLANETS.THIS IS THE EXACT REASON WHY THOR ALWAYS HOLDS BACK HIS STRENGTH WHEN FIGHTING SOMEONE LIKE HULK.IF THOR WHEN ALL OUT LIKE HE DID IN THAT ISSUE,THE HULK WILL BE IN PEICES.

Hulk's one shotted a planet and shown at least equal, if not superior striking force to Thor on plenty of occasions. Thor can't beat Hulk through pure blunt force and bludgeoning. Only Mjolnir's versatility and ranged capabilities allow Thor to beat Hulk and even then only barely. I know you have a fanboy hard on for Thor but in the strength department, Hulk outclasses him with superior feats in that regard.

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sayid_zanafi

@lvenger: can you show me savage hulk one shotted a planet.if im not mistaken,WORLD BREAKER HULK,hulk most powerful incarnation destroyed a planet not savage hulk.i know hulk potential strength can become higher than superman and thor combined,but i dont think savage hulk can destroy a planet and also thor almost killed a savage hulk in a issue.hey i may be wrong.and also this thor is very very weakened.gorrs god killing weapon penatrated thor multiple times and destroyed his internal organs and still manage to shatter moons from his shockwave.we dont actually know whats thor FULL potential striking can be.last time thors full potential strike he has shown when he battled exitar but current thor (based on the god of thunder issue) is WAY stronger than his classic days

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sayid_zanafi

@lvenger: and also hulk only has strength and i dont think hulks durability is as good as thors.thor survived (not only survived but no injured) supernova.thor has been inside the fire which made mjolnir and that fire can melt suns and stars.also thor has the power to make fire that is 1000 times hotter than the sun with his hammer and throw it to surtur and surtur deflected back the hammer and hit directly at thor and thor was not injured by it. savage hulk is seriously stomped by zeus (thor and zeus stalemated for 12 months non stop although zeus was holding back).THOR HAS SUPERIOR SPEED AND POWER TO PUT HULK DOWN FOREVER.in my opinion thor has the superior striking power and for you hulk has equal or superior striking power

SO LETS AGREE TO DISAGREE.i am not going to battle with you.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MatteoPG

I think this will resolve the issue...

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sayid_zanafi: Well I was gonna show you two feats that put a non Worldbreaker Hulk at possibly planetary level but OK as you wish.

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sayid_zanafi

@lvenger: ok.Thanks though.oh yeah almost forgot.SAVAGE HULK NEVER SHOWN TO HAVE MOON SHATTERING FEAT THROUGH HIS SHOCKWAVE.AND THIS THOR IS SERIOSLY WEAKENED AND STILL CAN SHATTER WORLS AROUND HIM AND STILL MANAGE TO HOLD TO PARTS OF THE WORLD TOGETHER.GORRS GOD KILLING WEAPON PENATRATED THOR MULTIPLE TIMES,DESTROYING HIS INTERNAL ORGANS AND STILL MANAGE TO PULL OF THIS AMAZING FEAT OF STRIKING POWER.I WANT TO SEE CAN A SAVAGE HULK DO WHAT THOR HAS DONE.I DONT THINK SO.HULK DESTROYED AN ASTEROID TWO TIMES BIGGER THAN EARTH WITH HELP.THOR WITH NO HELP DESTROYED WORLDS AROUND HIM THROUGH HIS SHOCKWAVE

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Experio
    @thitiki said:

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think we can all agree that it was a large Astronomical object. And destroying those things are no light feat, weather it be in manga, comics etc.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MatteoPG

I think we can all agree that it was a large Astronomical object. And destroying those things are no light feat, weather it be in manga, comics etc.

Except those mangas where they can "destroy the entire solar system" with one blow... I always wondered how the f**k would that even work.

sayid_zanafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: example,goku can destroy a solar system is just BS

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@jumpstart55 said:

Except those mangas where they can "destroy the entire solar system" with one blow... I always wondered how the f**k would that even work.

I've learnt in several comics vs DBZ debates that DBZ characters can become as powerful as someone would like them to be by adding a few numbers together and lots of zeroes in a specific calculation. That's why you get the solar system destruction speculation and flame wars over how powerful Ki attacks can be.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dum529001

In our solar system, which is usually the standard used to classify something as a moon or a planet, moons are not planets, they are dwarf planets. In other words, "small planet".

In our solar system, a moon is in the billion ton range(except one) and that is a trillion times less massive than other planets.

The definition of planet set in 2006 by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) states that, in the Solar System, a planet is a celestial body which:

1. is in orbit around the Sun,
    2. has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and
    3. has "cleared the neighbourhood" around its orbit. In the end stages of planet formation, a planet will have "cleared the neighbourhood" of its own orbital zone, meaning it has become gravitationally dominant, and there are no other bodies of comparable size other than its own satellites or those otherwise under its gravitational influence. A large body which meets the other criteria for a planet but has not cleared its neighbourhood is classified as a dwarf planet. This includes Pluto, which shares its orbital neighbourhood with Kuiper belt objects such as the plutinos. The IAU's definition does not attach specific numbers or equations to this term, but all the planets have cleared their neighbourhoods to a much greater extent than any dwarf planet, or any candidate for dwarf planet.

A non-satellite body fulfilling only the first two of these criteria is classified as a "dwarf planet". According to the IAU, "planets and dwarf planets are two distinct classes of objects". A non-satellite body fulfilling only the first criterion is termed a "small Solar System body" (SSSB). Initial drafts planned to include dwarf planets as a subcategory of planets, but because this could potentially have led to the addition of several dozens of planets into the Solar System, this draft was eventually dropped. The definition was a controversial one and has drawn both support and criticism from different astronomers, but has remained in use.According to the definition, there are currently eight planets and five dwarf planets known in the Solar System. The definition distinguishes planets from smaller bodies and is not useful outside the Solar System, where smaller bodies cannot be found yet. Extrasolar planets, or exoplanets, are covered separately under a complementary 2003 draft guideline for the definition of planets, which distinguishes them from dwarf stars, which are larger.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raynorj: Second scan isn't the same moon (or whatever it is) since young Thor hit Gorr through an black-hole, it even shows the avenger Thor doing a travelling feat to reach the battle:

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: When Gorr is throwing chunks of moons is in a completely different stance than that of when Thor was destroying worlds, It's light years away actually. See the scan above.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thought it was a planet

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think it matters one way or the other, there are moons as large as planets as illustrated here...

No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still an incredible display of his striking power, if the reverberations were felt on a moon or small planet.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still an incredible display of his striking power, if the reverberations were felt on a moon or small planet.

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it is a moon, it's obvious. But I voted world anyway, due to the writter saying "the shattering of worlds around him", it is indeed a catchy phrase tho, but a nearby moon served as an example of what his unrestrained hit's shockwaves could do, regardless of it being a moon, it being a planet wouldn't really be of any difference at all, let aside what was him doing to the planet he was on.

Even if "worlds around him" is just referencing to "worldwide lands/biomes around him", that is open to interpretation, as the same words could mean "shattering planets around him (nearby planets)". Either way it's beyond impressive, if his unrestrained hit's shockwaves can do that, we are free to assume it would be worst if he indeed punched the planet/moon directly. Also to note, we don't know how big is this moon and the planet in which he is pummeling Gorr down, but it's safe to assume that at least these are the same size that Earth and our moon, but we can't tell that for sure, because possibly and most likely they would be far larger (I don't know just for alien enviroments sake, I find it very plaussible) and I preffer to hold this last notion for sci-fi's sake. They look very large tho.

So, Thor hit's shockwaves can crush planets/moons, his direct hits should logically bust a planet (as if he haven't already proven to be planet buster before). So no problem here, this is just a reafirmation for new generations to come.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, we have never seen him destroy either planet or moon in that battle. It is just a fan based assumption.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: it's a little more than "fan based assumption" as you say... in the scan above, if you take the time to read, it says:

"Thor ignored the pain. The roar of his own screams. The shattering of worlds around him."

While that doesn't mean these "worlds" were vaporized it does imply at the very least that they were broken into many pieces. So there is a basis to what is being argued and no one is simply pulling it out of their collective a55es.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is too slow

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: It is just a statement, it has never happened on panel, thus it is illogical to argue what type of a celestial body was shattered as it was never shown. Also, even the statement was not "Thor shattered worlds around him" it was "Thor ignored worlds shattering around him"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.