Couldn't Thor survive the fall in the Avengers?

#1 Posted by CataractComics (4 posts) - - Show Bio

When Loki dropped Thor, 30,000 feet from the Helicarrier, couldn't Thor have survived that? Sure, he'd be knocked back a little bit, but he could've recovered easily. I thought Thor was practically invincible? The movies made Thor seem like such a puss.

#2 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not sure, I know hulk could survive that so that box was crap, Thor probably would have survived. I dont think he is as durable in the movies as he is in the comics to be honest.

#3 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they powered him down a bit to add a bit more suspense.

#4 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has not shown to be invincible in the movies or in the comics

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the fall, it's the hundreds of tons of steel and concrete falling down on top of you. Being in that cage could potentially have killed the Hulk as well. Think back to Fury's ant-boot metaphor. The cage was the boot meant to squash the hell out of whoever was inside. Thor did survive the fall itself, and he was little worse for wear in the end. The box was the problem.

#6 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah if it was the comic book version he could survive a freaking doomsday weapon.

#7 Posted by Enyalios (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki insinuated during the whole thing that they did not really know what it was going to do to Thor (i.e. they had never encountered something like that so they had no way of knowing for sure), so I get the general impression that Thor really had no desire to test it out and see if he would survive whatever that thing was designed to do after impact. The gods of Asgard can be wounded and killed. Hell a few Asgardians died in the opening sequence to Thor, and Thor himself was bloodied twice in Avengers, once by the Hulk who gave him a bloody nose, and once by Loki who stabbed him. I guarentee you even with the his vaunted durability, Hulk would not have just sat there and waited for it to land before trying to get out either.

#8 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Well do you really think they would put thor to his full power in the movie? Ha no, he would stomp.

#9 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@CataractComics said:

When Loki dropped Thor, 30,000 feet from the Helicarrier, couldn't Thor have survived that? Sure, he'd be knocked back a little bit, but he could've recovered easily. I thought Thor was practically invincible? The movies made Thor seem like such a puss.

I think most Thor fans suspected he would be downplayed a tad in the movie from any of his uber showings in the comics. But to answer your question: Yes. Thor is practically invulnerable. His durability has suffered from time to time, depending on the writer, but he SHOULD be written as invulnerable. In the comic, a nuke (called the Doomsday Bomb) exploded. On him. This particular nuke was designed to blow up a planet. The result to Thor? It knocked him out and fell to a nearby planet, creating a crater when he landed. Aside from being knocked out, he was fine.

And join the club. A lot of Thor fans are disappointed the way Thor is portrayed these days.

#10 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he could have survived.

#11 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was more so not wanting to have to go through the pain. I can surive a fall from a bunk bed to a cement floor. Dosen't mean i'd like it. lol

#12 Posted by danhimself (22452 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the cage was more about getting the Hulk the heck off of the helicarrier so that he didn't take the helicarrier down and cause millions of dollars of property damage and depending on where it hit thousands of lives

#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

It's not the fall, it's the hundreds of tons of steel and concrete falling down on top of you. Being in that cage could potentially have killed the Hulk as well. Think back to Fury's ant-boot metaphor. The cage was the boot meant to squash the hell out of whoever was inside. Thor did survive the fall itself, and he was little worse for wear in the end. The box was the problem.

#14 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't thor have just started flying from within that prison and pushed it up in the air

#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@handsome_stud said:

Couldn't thor have just started flying from within that prison and pushed it up in the air

No. Thor needs his hammer to fly, and he didn't have it at that point.

#16 Posted by Illuminatus (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

When he busted out right before the fall, my exact reaction was, "Drats. Next time, Thor. Next time..."

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@handsome_stud said:

No. Thor needs his hammer to fly, and he didn't have it at that point.

He did. He broke the window with it I swear?

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14656 posts) - - Show Bio

They depowered him a little to look more dramatical.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.