Could Thor lead the Avengers ?

#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (5946 posts) - - Show Bio

Personaly i think he could lead the avengers. Hes a proven warrior and hes been on the avengers for a long time so it makes sence to at least that he can lead them. What do you think. Can thor lead marvels ace team of heros or not?

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could... There are others that are better suited, but I think he'd be ok

#3 Posted by Lvenger (16075 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be the best person to say "Avengers Assemble!" at least.

#4 Posted by Agent9149 (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if the amount of times he didn't get tricked by loki is greater than the amount of time he did get tricked.

#5 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a strong leadership quality, especially amongst Asgardians, but I'm not sure if he would be as great with Avengers team strategy/tactics. He also isn't as familiar with the human world as others. I think could be a tank and lead a fight though.

#6 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

only if every time he said "Avengers Assemble!" he held Mjolnir in the like Lion-O and there was a lightening storm going crazy behind him.

#7 Posted by chalkshark (1172 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only could Thor lead the Avengers, he has. He was the team leader through a large part of Steve Englehart's run on the title, in the 1970's.

#8 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor could possibly do it well but Captain America would remain superior.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

Thor has lead the Avengers in the past and he damn sure could do it again.

#10 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

He should lead Earth.

#11 Posted by jhazzroucher (13979 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he can in the most exciting way. : )

#12 Posted by GLExpert (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

He'd be the best person to say "Avengers Assemble!" at least.

#13 Posted by Sparky_BW (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see it but I wouldn't prefer it...

#14 Posted by Chaos Burn (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

in the field, not the boardroom

#15 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Yes.

Thor has lead the Avengers in the past and he damn sure could do it again.

Yup, he also lead the Secret Avengers. But in comic standards they would probably put Captain America Black Panther or Iron Man in leadership.

#16 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Yep.
#17 Posted by OmegaRed86 (504 posts) - - Show Bio

No. The writers wouldn't allow it.

#18 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly I think Rulk would be the best leader for the avengers but thor makes sense, I guess they don't allow it because an alien would be a weird leader for earth, but honestly I don't feel as if Cap should lead at all.

#19 Posted by Enyalios (136 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10: Thor's not an alien. Throw your Earth X comics away, none of what was said in that series applies to the mainstream continueity, least of all the origin of the Asgardians.

Thor would make an outstanding leader for the Avengers, has done so in the past, and if pressed again could do so and do it well. Rulk would make a good overall tactician for the Avengers, but he could never be their leader, there are just so many other Avengers (pretty much all of them) that hold more respect in the eyes of the Avengers family, the hero community, and the world in general that others would turn to them first. You'll notice that even in all the panels shown in AvX where Rulk is psyching people up, one of the main Avengers (Thor primarily) is shown next to him giving his words relevance and essentially letting everyone know they can listen to him. That was about the only thing they got right in that whole series.

Captain America is and always will be the best leader of the Avengers. First, there is the obvious, his overall experience and charisma make him the first person everyone looks to. He exudes confidence and it does not matter who you are on that team and what you think your place should be, when Cap says something, you follow. In a crisis, Cap always has the right answer.

But he also has the best overall personal dynamic and relationship with every member of the team. His friendship with Iron Man has been the basis of so many of Marvel's best stories (and some of their worst) and there is not a human being that has ever existed that Thor respects more. Even Carol who likes to point out that she outranks him would follow him easily, and Rulk joined the Avengers in the first place because Steve asked him to. He has helped them all through some of the worst times in their lives and continues to hold the team together. No team of Avengers that does not include Captain America has lasted for long.

If Cap were not on the Avengers and someone else had to step up, I think Iron Man would try, but Carol would succeed. Iron Man's ego would get in his way, just like it has everytime he has led any type of team before. Carol is starting to gain the neccessary confidence and exposure that could see her assume that position without having a shadow leader or need to win over anyone. She has faced down her own demons and has proven she can hang with the best of them.

#20 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say that the Avengers would be more violent! I'm ok with it though.

#21 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he could...

#22 Posted by Fifthchild (571 posts) - - Show Bio

He could but it wouldn't be an optimal situation. He would certainly demonstrate all the courage and determination that you could want from your leader but at the same time his inspirational abilities might be abit hamepered by the fact that he would be leading a team of (mostly) humans - they wouldn't be able to relate to him very well and vice versa.

Most importantly though at the end of the day Thor generally isnt portrayed as the smartest guy in the room by a long shot and I can't see him offering much in the way of tactical insight or showing the ability to change tactics on the fly. 90% of the time his approach is to hit something and if that doesn't solve the problem, hit it again. Stark OTOH has plenty of brains but difficulty inspiring trust and when in a position of leadership tends to see people more as pawns than teammates IMO.

#23 Posted by Deadpoolicidy61 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I think cap should always be the leader pluse thor is an asgardian

#24 Posted by Z3RO180 (5946 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadpoolicidy61: whats being an asguardian got to do with leading the avengers :/

#25 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8758 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is possible

#26 Posted by Whirlnami_Heroes (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but there is no other leader better than Captain America. Captain America led the Anti-Registration forces and soldier during wars. So he will always be the best Leader because he is a captain after all.

#27 Posted by soduh2 (856 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

He could but it wouldn't be an optimal situation. He would certainly demonstrate all the courage and determination that you could want from your leader but at the same time his inspirational abilities might be abit hamepered by the fact that he would be leading a team of (mostly) humans - they wouldn't be able to relate to him very well and vice versa.

Most importantly though at the end of the day Thor generally isnt portrayed as the smartest guy in the room by a long shot and I can't see him offering much in the way of tactical insight or showing the ability to change tactics on the fly. 90% of the time his approach is to hit something and if that doesn't solve the problem, hit it again. Stark OTOH has plenty of brains but difficulty inspiring trust and when in a position of leadership tends to see people more as pawns than teammates IMO.

Agreed

#28 Posted by THORSON (2040 posts) - - Show Bio

yes depending on the situation.

THOR is the backbone of the avengers, without him ultron, thanos, doom would destroy the avengers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.