Could Beta Ray Bill work in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me get this out of the way, I'm a major Thor fan. When it comes to Marvel heroes, he's always at the top of my list. As such I also love his supporting cast. Granted Bill isn't technically a part of it, but he's an ally of Thor's and without the Odinson he wouldn't even have Stormbreaker.

Now on to my main point. Could Beta Ray Bill work in a live action setting? I think they could do his look with practical make-up, provided they shorten his face some. I think with the MCU going more cosmic, that that means we can get into races like Kree, Skrull, and yes even Korbonites which are Bill's people.

I think it would make an interesting Thor sequel. Heck they could even reference Bill in Guardians of the Galaxy!

#1 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm also a BRB fan, but somehow I can't imagine him in the films. I think people might get confused about him, and wonder why another Thor-like character is needed. Then again, they had War Machine in Iron Man 2. He'd need to be in Thor 3, and need a lot of screen time for Korbanites backstory, meeting Thor, getting Stormbreaker, fighting alongside Thor etc. I can't see it happening somehow... It would be awesome, though.

I'm curious about Balder, where is he?

#2 Posted by ThePhoenX (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky said:

I'm also a BRB fan, but somehow I can't imagine him in the films. I think people might get confused about him, and wonder why another Thor-like character is needed. Then again, they had War Machine in Iron Man 2. He'd need to be in Thor 3, and need a lot of screen time for Korbanites backstory, meeting Thor, getting Stormbreaker, fighting alongside Thor etc. I can't see it happening somehow... It would be awesome, though.

Feel the same! And (big) shame on me, I didn't even think about Balder when I saw the film!!! ;(

@Marvel Animation : Wake Up Guys!!!

#3 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX said:

@Selinaky said:

Feel the same! And (big) shame on me, I didn't even think about Balder when I saw the film!!! ;(

@Marvel Animation : Wake Up Guys!!!

Neither did I actually, then afterwards I thought 'Where was Balder?' haha. I wonder if he will be in any future films...

#4 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky: I think it COULD work, if set up right. Thor: The Dark World is probably going to be set off earth entirely. They could have something that happens in that movie cause the cataclysm that destroys Bill's galaxy with him and his race leaving it as the post credits scene. I think it could be interesting and they don't NEED to make him like the comics where he has the EXACT same powers as Thor. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted too.

#5 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Selinaky: I think it COULD work, if set up right. Thor: The Dark World is probably going to be set off earth entirely. They could have something that happens in that movie cause the cataclysm that destroys Bill's galaxy with him and his race leaving it as the post credits scene. I think it could be interesting and they don't NEED to make him like the comics where he has the EXACT same powers as Thor. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted too.

If they managed to make it work well I'd be very impressed. If done right it could be awesome, but as you said, I imagine the character would have to be a bit different than in comics. Would love to see BRB/ Thor team up against a villain!

#6 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Selinaky said:

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

He's to obscure, to odd looking and to similar to Thor in power.

Thus, it wouldn't make any sense to have him in a movie.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

If they had trouble bringing even Silver Surfer to cinema I think Beta Ray Bill would just be too weird. Which is a shame.

#9 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: So you're saying that he shouldn't appear at all? I'd just be thankful if they had him show up. I wouldn't even care if they didn't give him Stormbreaker though lifting Mjolnir would be a must.

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

Beta Ray Bill in a Thor movie is redundant.

Not to mention there are better characters to put in a future movie.

#11 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I see what you're saying, but isn't having War Machine in an Iron Man movie redundant? War Machine is just a grey and black Iron Man with a few extra weapons. I call his whole role in the movie fan-service since he wasn't even referenced in The Avengers.

Normally I wouldn't have brought this up, but with Marvel Studios going into Cosmic Marvel I couldn't help but think about the possibility of BRB making an appearance in a Thor sequel given how he IS a Cosmic character.

#12 Posted by Pyrogram (32226 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@PowerHerc: I see what you're saying, but isn't having War Machine in an Iron Man movie redundant? War Machine is just a grey and black Iron Man with a few extra weapons. I call his whole role in the movie fan-service since he wasn't even referenced in The Avengers.

Normally I wouldn't have brought this up, but with Marvel Studios going into Cosmic Marvel I couldn't help but think about the possibility of BRB making an appearance in a Thor sequel given how he IS a Cosmic character.

I want BRB, I love him.

#13 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

No.

Agreed.
#14 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: I'm glad someone else sees it the same way. Thanks!

#15 Posted by TheCannon (16065 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it could work. I think Surtur should be in Thor 3, and I think going the EMH route could work.

#16 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@PowerHerc said:

No.

Agreed.

Thirded.

#17 Edited by TheGodofThunder (555 posts) - - Show Bio

possibly http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=39702

#18 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7496 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its possible

#19 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Possible, but very difficult. BRB never made it as more than a niche fav in the comics and he would be extremely difficult to transition to film.

#20 Posted by THORSON (2034 posts) - - Show Bio

of course.

would be one of the first movie to show powerful entities.

#21 Posted by THORSON (2034 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@PowerHerc said:

No.

Agreed.

Thirded.

you all lack hope. such a petty... and tiny.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.