Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Classic or Current

Aces2kj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aces2kj

I always thought current thor was stronger than classic but ive been going around the forums and people are using classic thor in like every battle so which version is stronger ?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pyrogram

@Aces2kj: Classic had more abilities I think.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SoA

classic is much stronger , current thor is the butt of many jokes

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

It too difficult to determine.Classic Thor pulled of a lot of feats, and showcased many powers,he was also brought into Marvel to be the one who could truly defeat the Hulk. The current Thor has also pulled of many feats and displayed high levels of power, but he has been written horribly in the AVX series and the Deviant Series, suffering defeats at the hands of characters who don't have half the ability or power at times.This topic is highly debateble,but I have to say the old school Thor. They would have never laid a scratch on that Thor, and even if they did , it;s guranteed that he'd give a display like no other, I mean he's the God of Thunder,thats all.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pyrogram

@evilvegeta74: Safe to say writing determines his strength.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cmartin

modern thor is a wimp with a hammer....

might as well be iron man...

or cyclops... shoot beams and lightening....

he has no strenth he isnt mighty... without the hammer im suprised if someone like the beast couldnt take his

weak weak weak

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Asagod

In theory, they are one and the same. The difference between them is the way Marvel uses the character. Classic Thor was the major powerhouse of Marvel, Current Thor is just one of Marvel's powerhouses. His powers didn't change, but the way he is written did.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmartin

@cmartin said:

modern thor is a wimp with a hammer....

might as well be iron man...

or cyclops... shoot beams and lightening....

he has no strenth he isnt mighty... without the hammer im suprised if someone like the beast couldnt take him in a fight

weak weak weak

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By THORSON

current has that badass look.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Malevolent1

Classic Thor for sure. I don't care what anyone says. I've been reading Thor well long enough to remember what his classic showing were like. Don't get me wrong, more recently, we have some VERY impressive feats. But they have become progressively fewer and further between, particularly since Jim Shooter went to DC YEARS ago...been a slow decline.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Classic and to be honest, i'm not sure when exactly it was that Thor's power was curbed (Unlike Superman where with every age and or reboot you can generally tell when it happens) Maybe it wasn't ever changed at all and people simply write him differently now days, but pick up some classic tales and you'll see some of Thor at his best. The hits he takes today that knock him down wouldn't have even made him stumble in the past.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

I liked how the new Thor seems a bit more feasible in realism. The classic one he was just a god, unbeatable and almighty. In other words I'm picking modern, since I like heroes who sell pain, and not stand there all mighty looking speaking like " Have off thee you unworthy mortal!" . Can't stand that kind lingo

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmegaRed86

@Rabidwolfdog said:

I liked how the new Thor seems a bit more feasible in realism. The classic one he was just a god, unbeatable and almighty. In other words I'm picking modern, since I like heroes who sell pain, and not stand there all mighty looking speaking like " Have off thee you unworthy mortal!" . Can't stand that kind lingo

Thor always felt the pain, he just cowboy'd up and fought through it. He's Asgard's best warrior for a reason. And God of THunder.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cmartin

@Malevolent1: agree 100%

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator

They are the same character. The majority of the time I see people distinguish between a "classic" and "modern" Thor I see an opinion that fails to delve into the real life creative processes and mechanics that influence how that character is portrayed. Classic Thor was inconsistent powerwise too, he also had less competion, his writers wrote him for longer periods, he was in space more, less editorial influence, he probably wasn't as popular as say post JMS and post movie Thor and hundreds of other variables one could consider. Most bigger factors than his power, and portrayal and power are two very different things both with different factors determining how they are governed.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pyrogram

@SC said:

They are the same character. The majority of the time I see people distinguish between a "classic" and "modern" Thor I see an opinion that fails to delve into the real life creative processes and mechanics that influence how that character is portrayed. Classic Thor was inconsistent powerwise too, he also had less competion, his writers wrote him for longer periods, he was in space more, less editorial influence, he probably wasn't as popular as say post JMS and post movie Thor and hundreds of other variables one could consider. Most bigger factors than his power, and portrayal and power are two very different things both with different factors determining how they are governed.

I think this is a good explanation, The competition bit especially, he was easier to make strong without overshadowing other strong people. He had much much more competition now.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Pyrogram:

There was a point where Namor was 'Marvels' biggest most powerful super character, then Thing eventually came along and was this strongman that could do the impossible (at the time that could have been considered lifting a car) but comics were expanding and there were room for more characters. Lee and Kirby would create Hulk and Thor, and now a bit of shine was taken off Namor, and even Thing who was a Lee/Kirby creation. Then over the decades Gladiator, Hyperion, Beta Ray Bill, Silver Surfer, X-Man, Rulk, Hercules, Sentry etc were all made and each required moments to establish and popularize them in ways that otherwise could have been written for say Namor? Aside from the fact the reason for the story and moment being to a newer character being about expansion. Thor and Hulk though in particular stand tall as Lee/Kirby creations that were pillars of one of Marvels most important eras, and they have competition now and that can take a little of there shine away but in many ways they are still luckier TBC

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Luckier, than any other Marvel powerhouse type character. Really only Superman gets a bigger and more consistent shine as far as comics overall and that character suffers tremendously sales wise for all the competition he has to endure .

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pyrogram

@SC: Thing now days is considered nothing lol, low level compare Thor and hulk, Your correct, superman is lucky that whenver a superperson comes along stronger, he gets stronger sometimes or other. Modern Thor out of his issues just gets weaker lol

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SC  Moderator

@Pyrogram:

Yup pretty much. Thors main problem is perception. Most writers, like most kids in the last few decades tend to compare Hulk and Superman. They had their crossover first, both have or at least had more merchandise, I am a fan of Jonothan Hickman, someone asked him recently who is the strongest Avenger and his reply was "Hasn't the Hulk always been the strongest?" and really its only really a few comic fans who know that when both characters were created that between Hulk and Thor, Thor was created to be stronger *even with the Hulks capacity to get stronger. This is never made clear in Lee/Kirby comics, its something that was in the mind of the original creators, but... it does make me think how Thor would be portrayed if everyone ever who learned of Thor or Hulk was privvy to that information magically. For many it wouldn't matter, but I do think both characters would be in very different places (with positives and negatives to boot)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pyrogram

@SC: I read through hickman stuff, he really annoys me, I don't get the impression he has much knowledge on marvel contiguity to be honest.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeanroygrant

@THORSON said:

Classic Thor had more badass power.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pyrogram

@jeanroygrant said:

@THORSON said:

He has exactly the same apart from time travel, Mental ( still possesses abilities though ) and something else. I dont like people saying HAD, he is the same Thor...

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Pyrogram said:

@jeanroygrant said:

@THORSON said:

He has exactly the same apart from time travel, Mental ( still possesses abilities though ) and something else. I dont like people saying HAD, he is the same Thor...

Current Thor doesn't have T/P, can't transmute, control atoms, or molecures.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pyrogram

@jeanroygrant said:

@Pyrogram said:

@jeanroygrant said:

@THORSON said:

control atoms, or molecures.

Actually he can and has on Iron mans suit in God Complex and in other recent comics. And Current Thor IS Thor. I don't like referring to him differently.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Pyrogram said:

@jeanroygrantsaid:

@Pyrogramsaid:

@jeanroygrantsaid:

@THORSONsaid:

control atoms, or molecures.

Actually he can and has on Iron mans suit in God Complex and in other recent comics. And Current Thor IS Thor. I don't like referring to him differently.

Okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.