Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Catalogue of Thor fights

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spambot

This is a catalogue of many if not most of Thor's major fights going back to the late 70's. Included are fights where he fought beings at least close to him in power where Thor could let loose without fear of killing his opponent and where the opponent wasn't ko'd in like 1-2 hits. The purpose is to show how often Thor makes use of his non melee abilities so a few fights where he could not make use of those abilities due to his opponents invulernability to those attacks were excluded from the list. This catalogue also is only mainly taken from Thor's own books or Journey into Mystery. It is also limited to regular Thor fights(no King Thor, RKT or OKT but including OF Thor since he mostly used the same power set as regular Thor). Skip to the end if you just want to see the results of the catalogue. I know I missed a few epic fights and will add them in if someone wants to list the fight and what attacks he used.

Eternals Saga forward(from Thor 283 up to Thor 320)

Eternals/Deviants- melee and omnidirectional lightning storm/blast

Dromedan- melee

Forgotten One- melee

One Above All- lightning blast, melee

Odin- melee, energy blast

aliens on strange planet- melee, energy blasts

Eye of Odin- lightning storm, energy blasts, wind vortex

4th Celestial Host- lightning blasts, energy blasts, melee

Shiva- melee, wind vortex

Umar- energy blasts, melee

Wrecking Crew- melee, energy blast on Wrecker

Airwalker- melee

Firelord- melee, energy blast

Frost giant- melee

Mephisto- melee, energy blast

Tyr- melee, lightning storm/blast

Maurglon- melee

Drax- melee, lightning bolts

Demogorge- lightning storm, melee

Bibeast- melee

Manbeast/Bibeast- melee, energy blast

Manbeast- melee

Simonson years(from Thor 337 up to Thor 382)

Beta Ray Bill- melee

demon hordes- melee,lightning blast

Fafnir- melee

Fafnir- melee, lightning blast

Algrim- melee

Malekith- melee

Surtur- melee, hammer throw with the power "of a thousand suns"

Surtur- melee, storm

Kurse- melee, energy blast through Energizer

Balder- melee, lightning

Troll mother- melee

Zaniac- lightning storm

Marauders- melee, lightning blasts

Marauders- lightning

Absorbing man- melee, windstorm, bfr

Grendel- melee

Frost giants- melee

World Serpent- melee

Post Simonson(only up to Thor 400)

Secret wars battle royale- melee, energy blast, lightning storm

Leir- melee, energy blast, lightning blast, windstorm

Arishem- melee, planetary magnetic blast

Inside Exitar- melee, lightning blast, godblast

Grog- melee, windstorm

World engine battle- lightning storm

Infinity Crusade/Blood&Thunder arc(Thor 461, 465-471)

Beta Ray Bill- melee, lightning

Super Skrull- melee, lightning blast

Drax- melee, lightning blast

Beta Ray Bill- melee, energy blast

Silver Surfer- melee, lightning blast

Surfer/Warlock- melee, lightning/energy blasts

Infinity Watch- melee

Infinity Watch+others- melee, energy blast

Thanos- melee

Jurgens years(Thor vol 2)

The Destroyer- melee, lightning storm, lightning blast

The Destroyer- melee, bfr

Perrikus- energy blasts, melee

Dark Gods- melee, energy blasts, lightning storm, godblast

Enrakt- energy blast, melee

Juggernaut- melee

8th day Exemplars- energy blasts

Mangog- energy blast, melee

Mangog/Thanosi- lightning storm, energy blasts

Mangog/Thanosi- melee, energy blasts

Mangog- melee, energy blast

Absorbing Man- melee, energy blast

Wrecking Crew- lightning blast, melee

Galactic police- melee, windstorm

Nullitron- melee

Gladiator- melee, energy blast

The Destroyer- melee

Surtur- melee, lightning storm

Post Ragnarok years(JMS, Gillen, Fraction, Aaron)

Iron Man- melee, lightning blasts

The Destroyer- melee

Surtur- melee, lightning

Bor- melee, lightning

Destroyer Doom- lightning blast, melee

Ragnarok- lightning, melee

Silver Surfer- energy blast, melee

Silver Surfer- melee, lightning storm

Ulik- melee

Star Colossus- melee, lightning blast

Nightmare creatures- lightning blast, melee

Surtur- melee, lightning storm

Gorr- melee, lightning blast

Malekith- melee, lightning blast

Ulik/Minotaur- melee

So all total I counted 88 battles catalogued above.

In 23 of the 88 battles or 26% of them Thor used only melee forms of attack.

In 48 of the 88 battles or 55% of them Thor used lightning or energy blasts from his hammer.

In 21 of the 88 battles or 24% of them Thor used weather related attacks such as lightning storms, wind attacks or vortexes.

Thus we can conclude that Thor is over twice as likely to use an energy or lightning blast during a fight as he is to use only melee attacks and about as likely to use a weather storm or vortex as he is only melee attacks.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice work

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Eternals Saga (following the Ragnarok story) by Thomas was awesome. These were the glory years (60s-80s) when Thor was one of Marvel's 3-4 biggest solo heroes. And yea it's refreshing when Thor used to bust out some fun powers and not rely solely on hand-to-hand combat.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great. Comicvine needs more thread like this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

Except that in the last decade Thor's only fought by melee and lightning. No energy powers in sight. This thread seems to cherry pick select statistics and ignore the broader picture of how Thor actually fights.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spambot

@lvenger: It's cherry picking because it included too many fights? Lol. That's like the complete opposite of what cherry picking means. It is looking at the broader picture while you for your own reasons only want to concentrate on the last 10 years. This thread also wasn't specifically about energy blasts anyhow. It was about how often Thor does things besides brawl in comics which has been quite consistent through the decades.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger

@spambot: It's really not. You make a big deal out of the few fights where Thor remembers to use energy blasts and ignores all the times when Thor doesn't use them in between your examples, along with the period of time where Thor only uses melee and lightning. It is the definition of missing the forest for the trees I guarantee you. Not to mention you gloss over his minor fights where he only uses melee or lightning. I know you have a preference about how you think Thor fights and whilst you're entitled to it, it doesn't change the reality at all.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Except that in the last decade Thor's only fought by melee and lightning. No energy powers in sight. This thread seems to cherry pick select statistics and ignore the broader picture of how Thor actually fights.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh*

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@spambot: It's really not. You make a big deal out of the few fights where Thor remembers to use energy blasts and ignores all the times when Thor doesn't use them in between your examples, along with the period of time where Thor only uses melee and lightning. It is the definition of missing the forest for the trees I guarantee you. Not to mention you gloss over his minor fights where he only uses melee or lightning. I know you have a preference about how you think Thor fights and whilst you're entitled to it, it doesn't change the reality at all.

A big deal? Dude, I literally just catalogued all the fights I could between these periods and what attacks Thor used in those fights. I didn't intentionally do anything else or leave anything out. ffs, idk what your deal is but you are just making shit up here to suit your own little agenda. My preference as you put it as to how Thor fights has to do with how he has been consistently portrayed for decades under various writers and having read those comics. This is like accusing someone of thinking the sky is blue because most of the time that they look up they see a blue sky. I glossed over a handful of fights which only lasted like a panel or two because a fight where Thor one shots someone isn't going to give much insight into his overall fighting style. If you have a problem with this thread then you'll just have to take it up with the authors who wrote these stories. All the recent fights where he hasn't used energy blasts are listed if they appeared in the comics.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: Then go ahead and list them out. If you read all of them show where Thor uses energy attacks, show why he is twice as likely to use energy attacks instead of melee attacks despite the clear evidence to the contrary. Your preference shows what you think Thor would do, not how Thor would actually fight. You also don't list the context or events of the fights where Thor only uses energy attacks as a last resort or simply once in a fight where he mostly uses melee or lightning. I didn't say you intentionally left details out but you haven't considered the flaws in your own research. That's not part of my agenda, that's a valid criticism against your argument you have yet to properly address.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spambot

@lvenger: Isn't that what I did in this thread? I went through all of those comics and condensed the battles into what forms of attack Thor used in them. If you don't like how I went about catalogueing the fights then you are more than welcome to do your own catalogue. This particular thread was done in response to all the Thor experts on the battle forum who kept repeating how Thor usually only brawls and is generally stupid in how he fights. I, having read hundreds of Thor comics simply wished to cast some light onto how he actually does fight as opposed to hearing the opinion of people who in all likelihood have prob only read a handful of Thor comics before deciding they are experts on him. I don't understand your obsession with energy attacks either. Energy attacks have been a staple of Thor's power set going back to the 60's. It wasn't until recently that he sort of stopped using them. For me to add context for everything that is listed in this catalogue would just make it needlessly long. It was an honest attempt to display how Thor generally fights and how often he makes use of non brawling type attacks. If you can't accept that then that's just your own issue. Having read these comics I knew full well how often Thor does make use of things like lightning, storms, energy attacks and other things which as the op shows is a vast majority of his battles.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lvenger said:

This.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Battle123axe

Post #16 is disgusting and disrespect to one of the greatest and most even thor fans on the vine.

Shame on you.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: try to actually lol at what he's saying, and I really wonder weather your perspective is biased, of course ,everyone has a biased perspective, so maybe I'm wrong and your right but his track record speaks for him.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO this thread is hilarious

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By destinyman75

@spambot: Awesome thread you have here thanks for posting it. And like brony said don't worry about that silly post. you've out together tons of material outlining decades of what Thor has done blowing holes in those anti Thor peeps argument's. Some people can't be satisfied. I miss the Walter Simonson era were Thor used tons of cool energy attacks. He's used them for so long its undeniable to any but anti Thor folks. Nice thread again

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spambot

@destinyman75: Thx for the words. Simonson had a great knack for drawing energy blasts and such things in his art. It was just like power perfectly put down on a page.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: no he's not actually shown here are so many examples of why

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By destinyman75

@thekinfing: Really so 2011 to now 2016/is a decade?? Somebody's math is off and its not mine lol

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By destinyman75

@thor_parker82: Yeah I know right do research post decades upon decades of proof and showings and still not satisfied anybody ever feel like they never will be?/ Seems biased

DCencyclopedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lightning and Melee in about 75 percent of his battles sounds about right.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Yeah I know right do research post decades upon decades of proof and showings and still not satisfied anybody ever feel like they never will be?/ Seems biased

I could literally post 20+ scans of Thor using energy attacks just in Jurgens´ run alone, but some people really go out of their way to lowball Thor.

@thekinfing: Really so 2011 to now 2016/is a decade?? Somebody's math is off and its not mine lol

Dude, even saying it´s been a decade since Thor hasn´t used energy blasts (which is true) there are still 50+ years of him using said attacks.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By destinyman75

@thor_parker82: I know its beyond ridiculous at this point. For the record who gave a time limit on when its appropriate in the first place? Cause if you have the ability it's possible to use it. Not in character doesn't work here lol

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: yeah first book I ever picked up was a Simonson was hooked after that. The whole surtur saga still makes me smile to read.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I know its beyond ridiculous at this point. For the record who gave a time limit on when its appropriate in the first place? Cause if you have the ability it's possible to use it. Not in character doesn't work here lol

Well, to be fair, if it was current Thor used in a battle it would be appropriate to claim he won´t use an energy attack, however, if you´re using Thor throughout all of his history, one is allowed to use any ability he has displayed consistently.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lvenger

Post #16 is disgusting and disrespect to one of the greatest and most even thor fans on the vine.

Shame on you.

I'm used to it by now, a few other users have accused me of the same thing so it's nothing new. They like to claim unrealistic and rare tactics and abilities from Thor are standard when even during the Pre resurrection period, he only used energy attacks sparingly.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Rare is subjective. He uses the tactics he uses because they succeed, if something is needed or he believes something will help him, he'll use it. You don't need to use something a lot in order for it to be in-character to use it.

When there's a moral boundary as to why they wouldn't use it, that's another thing entirely.

For example, I've never seen Green Lantern make X construct in the comics, but it doesn't mean he's incapable of unable to do so.

It's also for the sake of story, if Thor used things like the godblast(Just as an example) in every issue, it'd be a very quick and boring issue. Boom, godblast, bad guy's dead now. Unless you wanna make this into DBZ where suddenly every bad guy has a counter to the godblast.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spambot

@lvenger: Have to disagree with you on him using energy attacks sparingly. I mean energy attacks were really his go to move throughout Jurgens' run and he has used them pretty consistently going back to the 60's imo. Some writers use them more than others but he has used them under almost every Thor writer up until recently. Which also includes quite a few Avengers writers.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
    @destinyman75 said:

Well, to be fair, if it was current Thor used in a battle it would be appropriate to claim he won´t use an energy attack, however, if you´re using Thor throughout all of his history, one is allowed to use any ability he has displayed consistently.

this is exactly right. the whole "thor is dumb and will only use melee" argument only really pertains to marvel now and ANAD.

I hardly find myself agreeing with you, but that is true, although he´s been fighting only by melee and lightning since his resurrection in 2007.

DCencyclopedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see what the problem is. The creator of this thread said that 81% of the time during this specific point in Thors time he used melee and lightning/energy blasts. That sounds about right to me. He also specified that during the specific time he chose to do this research of Thor, Thor used an energy blast or lightning in about half of those battles. And to me again, that sounds about right.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: good thing is comics are not what have writers done lately, thor from the 60s, 70s, 80s,90s, and early 20s, is far more consistent and far more valid than the past 5 or so years of lowballing, inconsistent, and tactically unsound battles. The fact that you wish to dismiss the plethora of evidence to thors true capability reaks of bias, this thread illustrates clearly what thor can do when written to fully actualize his powerset over the vast majority of his editorial life.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Spambot

@thekinfing said:
    said:

This.

I think you also have a misunderstanding of what cherry picking means. I am being accused of ignoring the broader picture simply by including fights from before 2007 which makes no sense whatsoever. I am in fact showing the broader picture in this thread going back to the 70's. What you and LVenger seem to advocate is a much more narrow picture which would cherry pick only from the last 3-4 writers while I am showing a much more complete picture of him as a character under many writers. How he's been portrayed over 4 decades is a more accurate representation of him as a character compared to just the last decade.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.