Can Thor fly

Posted by SFX87 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Can Thor fly or  does he need be pulled by Mjolnir.   

#1 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

Im almost 100% sure he throws the hammer and that pulls him. Although, ive seen him levitate in spot, which I don't really I understand.
#2 Posted by Fire-brand (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

he is pulled by mjolnir, and since it obeys his commands, he can hover or whatever. but on his own he can't.

#3 Posted by Sexy Merc (42076 posts) - - Show Bio

He uses the Mjolnir, but I heard someone here mention he flew on his own once, but I don't know the story behind it.

#4 Edited by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

He can probably fly via weather control like storm if he wanted.

I'm sure I've seen him throw the hammer while levitating and not fall to the ground immediately.

#5 Posted by gambit987 (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I always see him fly with mjolnir

#6 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he is a god so why not

#7 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

he flies through win control like storm when not using the hammer. with the Hammer he can fly FTL. if he ever fully mastered his magic potential he could fly without the hammer in an actual flight sense not a being carried by the wind sense
#8 Posted by SFX87 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for the info

#9 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer said:
"he flies through win control like storm when not using the hammer. with the Hammer he can fly FTL. if he ever fully mastered his magic potential he could fly without the hammer in an actual flight sense not a being carried by the wind sense "

Yeah but I don't think they'll ever let him fly without it because then as far as I'm concerned he'll be Viking Superman.
#10 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer said:
" he flies through win control like storm when not using the hammer. with the Hammer he can fly FTL. if he ever fully mastered his magic potential he could fly without the hammer in an actual flight sense not a being carried by the wind sense "
Thor's Hammer should know.
#11 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool: 

he sometimes Throws it while in the air and floats while it returns to him
#12 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thor's hammmer:
Yeah thats floating I mean acctual flying without it on a regular basis
#13 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool: 

he already is viking superman  

he has superbreath for crying out loud  
super vision  
Super hearing  
as king Thor he had eye beams  
in the COC he even had super kisses  

ontop of the obvious strength, durability etc.
#14 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Thor can fly, They dont call him the Sky King for nothing. Plus it wouldnt make sense to throw his hammer and continue in a straight line for hundreds of miles or neither would he be able to hovers in one spot.

#15 Edited by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

No he can only use his hammer to fly,he has floated in mid air until his hammer actually returned to him though. and to all the people out there who says he can fly like Storm.this isn't necessarily true.just because they have similar power set doesn't mean that he uses his wind the same way she does.  

The fact that Thor is tons heavier than Ororo he might need more wind to support his body mass,while Ororo is like a feather compared to him...so it doesn't take much of hastle for her to stay aloft, IDK it's one of those thing where you can only assume or guess. 

Maybe he never thought about flying without Minjlor?  O_o

#16 Posted by CairoEvans (7 posts) - - Show Bio

This is directly from the Marvel website:

"By throwing Mjolnir while grasping its leather thong, Thor can simulate flight at speeds up to Mach 32 (over 24,000 mph). Thor can steer Mjolnir’s path via his mental control over Mjolnir while traveling and can “hover” in place by spinning Mjolnir in his hand. While throwing Mjolnir when “hovering,” Thor can use winds to keep himself afloat allowing him to appear to be in flight."
More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Thor_complete_powers#ixzz2CGt99jyf

To be honest, I'm surprised no one went there to reference is powers haha.

#17 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@CairoEvans: Well, that answers that one, lol.

#18 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has been shown to levitate recently.

#19 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I would use my super-powered-hammer to fly...if I had one.

#20 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

in the avengers movie and the thor movie was he flying with out mjolnir or just jumping really hard?

#21 Posted by Pyrogram (39400 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has levitated, but never fully cared to try and use his potential as I dont think he cares much about it as he has the hammer.

#22 Posted by Phillisodinson (11 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

his hammer pulls him. but we can still hypothetically say THOR can fly.

#25 Edited by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

stan lee has stated, he found it weird on how superman can fly without any purpose and he thought it was ridiculous. So he wanted THOR to not just jump and fly but to have some kind of method to fly. So stan made THOR spin his hammer like a propeller then the hammer would pull him into the air.

#26 Edited by SkyRobo1 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

He can levitate and hoover without Mjolnir but he can't fly without it..

#27 Posted by t_hench (361 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson: Stan Lee finds anything he didn't create weird LOL.

I personally have never read a comic where he fly's without Mjolnir so my bet would be on "No".

#28 Edited by Freefa11 (2392 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this makes things pretty clear.

#29 Edited by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

@freefa11 said:

I think this makes things pretty clear.

Depends on the story and on the plot.

#30 Posted by RogueShadow (10859 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs mjolnir.

#31 Edited by Erkan12 (2768 posts) - - Show Bio

He need mjolnir and IIRC he was falling even in the last movie without his hammer.

#32 Posted by Experio (16240 posts) - - Show Bio

Flies using Mjolnir, but can also fly without it.

#33 Posted by DothThouEvenLift (209 posts) - - Show Bio

He can fly without mjolnir, and pretty fast too I assume.. He can create some damn powerful winds to push him thru the air.. If he mastered his magic potential tho he could also fly like that

#34 Edited by Erik (33008 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.