Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Can someone bring me up to speed with Thor / recommend?

Valkyrja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Valkyrja

Hey guys! I haven't read much Thor in a while, but after seeing the Avengers I want to get back into it.

I absolutely adored JMS's run, first of all. I read up until that, Siege, the war with the Disir, and when Matt Fraction took over the run and brought Loki and Odin back (which I thought was sudden and kind of stupid). The last thing I remember from the comics was the cosmic-looking seed of Yggdrasil, and the series splitting into The Mighty Thor and Journey into Mystery.

I was getting a bit bored with Fraction's run (I prefer Norse Thor to cosmic Thor), and I heard rumors from a friend that Thor died and was replaced or something? I don't know, he could've been screwing with my head, but it still seemed far-fetched and stupid.

Can someone give me a quick recap of what I've missed, and recommend a place to jump back into the series? Like I said, I love JMS Thor, Norse Thor, etc.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Bump.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Valkyrja:

I want to know too, also what is your display picture of?

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By majestic99

@jeanroygrant said:

@Valkyrja:

I want to know too, also what is your display picture of?

Valkyrja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Valkyrja

I found the image online! :P I'm not sure where exactly it's from, but it made me laugh so I adopted it as my avatar.

No Caption Provided
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Valkyrja:  Okay, this is potentially going to sound like odd advice given that I actually stopped reading Thor books roughly the same time as you lol, with Fraction, and that seed and Loki being revived. My preferences are the same as yours though roughly, JMS Thor revitalized the character, and Fraction's work felt regressive and a bit off to me.  

That being said I will recommend Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery as the best jumping on point. Pros include being heavily involved with and tied to mythological Thor and Norse stories, but beyond that having tight characterization and just being a great read. Features a lot of classic and traditional Thor characters too (Hela, and other surprises) The big drawback though is that Thor doesn't actually feature that much in it. Loki is the protagonist. He makes a very good protagonist though, and much much more likable than how Fraction wrote him. If you liked Gillen's Thor run after JMS you will love his Journey Into Mystery run.   

No Caption Provided
    As for the rumors, well I haven't read those arcs yet, but that does sound about right. Thor was killed (comic style killed - so his stories continued and he wasn't technically technically dead and he was replaced in some deeper plot and Thor had to come back and reveal his impostor and something else convoluted) I am yet to read it but Thor had a mini series recently against the Eternals/Deviants and there is this new mini event with Thor characters and New Mutants in Exiled.          

No Caption Provided
     Good luck! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.