British Thor=Lazy

Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, I know Marvel's Thor ain't the mythology Thor, ok? Don't start giving me crap about that.

But seriously, why has no one ever written Thor and the Asgardians with German/Scandinavian accents as opposed to those stupidly inaccurate British ones?

How come in media, it's A-OK to always portray Germans as Nazis and villains, but the second you portray a black person in a harsh light, "victimized" negroes like Sharpton start popping out of the woodwork?

Why not give positive Germanic character as opposed to a negative one? What is Germany's as well as other countries who once worshiped him reactions to Thor? That would actually make an interesting story!!!!

Heck, him ending up in Germany or another Nordic country as opposed to wherever the crap he ended up in the movie would have made a much more interesting film, considering the half decent/half lame fish out of water story we got. And I even really like Thor!!!

#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Actually he first appeared in Norway in the comics

#2 Posted by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

They could have done pretty much everything the did in the movie in the Scandinavian/other european countries and it would have made some more sense. Maybe they were trying to show that Asgard had no real preference in any particular place of earth, but that is where they were in the past for the battle in the beginning and hence the mythology.

#3 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

wen kümmert?

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

American's have short attention spans. Whatever sticks they keep using. That's what the higher ups think.

Americans still link us to Mary Poppins crap. Britain is more like, Misfits.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:

American's have short attention spans. Whatever sticks they keep using. That's what the higher ups think.

Americans still link us to Mary Poppins crap. Britain is more like, Misfits.

You think we link you to Mary poppins. We actually relate you to people that think they're better than everyone by telling us "how we are" based on conjecture
#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: So you guys don't have a magic chocolate factory?..............childhood officially destroyed

#7 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere Thor and likewise characters appear to viewer as they imagine them. Thor appears to Americans in most Marvel comics, and comes off a hodgepodge of various ingrained perceptions to them. Hence the answer to another question running around here about Zeus's size (Odin has been perceived as scaled up before as well). Really I find the whole belief that deities speak a specific accent or even language fallacious as it is, and at best a deities native tongue would likely be a form of communication beyond humanity all together. When was the last time anyone talked to them and documented this? Furthermore, doesn't it add up that if say Thor, came up to whomever here right now, he would present himself in whatever way your own mind interpreted and accepted him? And in speaking in whichever dialect was appropriate? As far as just language is concerned, characters rarely speak any language except an English dialect, other than the <translated from X_language in brackets> as Marvel comics are produced in the United States, ala " The Universal Translator ". Unless of course your comic is translated in Spanish. Then Thor speaks Spanish. Hmmm....

#8 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Supreme Marvel: So you guys don't have a magic chocolate factory?..............childhood officially destroyed

Only on a Sunday.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Ultimate Thor speaks with a Norwegian accent 

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (81623 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shakespearean-ish speech was a gimmick implemented by Stan Lee to make Thor sound/come across as mor 'godly.'

It wasn't meant to define or even give any hint of his origins.

#11 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

No different than when movies about the Roman Empire center around actors who tend to be from the British and Celtic speaking corners of the world I say.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel:

#13 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

Look, I know Marvel's Thor ain't the mythology Thor, ok? Don't start giving me crap about that.

But seriously, why has no one ever written Thor and the Asgardians with German/Scandinavian accents as opposed to those stupidly inaccurate British ones?

How come in media, it's A-OK to always portray Germans as Nazis and villains, but the second you portray a black person in a harsh light, "victimized" negroes like Sharpton start popping out of the woodwork?

Why not give positive Germanic character as opposed to a negative one? What is Germany's as well as other countries who once worshiped him reactions to Thor? That would actually make an interesting story!!!!

Heck, him ending up in Germany or another Nordic country as opposed to wherever the crap he ended up in the movie would have made a much more interesting film, considering the half decent/half lame fish out of water story we got. And I even really like Thor!!!

With regard to the victimized negroes, I'm not sure if that is how they refer to people of African descent in Britain, but it may incite some to anger in this part of the world. Just a heads up. The reason some Black people may become resentful of the negative portrayals you are referring to is because that is usually the ONLY way they are portrayed. Hell, its a cliche. Around the time "Dr Huxtable" and family started appearing on TV in the 80s (90s??), Blacks were regularly portrayed as thugs, drug addicts, musicians and athletes. Not that all those are necessarily bad. But it seems to have become the rest of the worlds adopted perception of Blacks. I have friends who happen to be Black. One of my friends is highly intelligent, has a college degree, works for the local court system as a supervisor, has a great wife and kids and is total comic geek, like me. Oh, and by the way he is not a street thug, has never done any drugs nor any of the negative things Blacks are typically saddled with in the media.

On the other hand, white people (which includes all European descents) are portrayed in the media in a multitude of ways, but almost always in a leading role and if they do have character flaws, they are generally made light of or minimized. They also have a rich, illustrious history of pride from which to draw, a rich history of accomplishments. Blacks, up to 250 years ago, were slaves to White's in this part of the world. And it wasn't until the 1960s that laws were enforced with regard to equal treatment, although, as we all know, that, even to this date, is still met some resistance by their White peers. Blacks in America are slowly, but surely carving a niche in America, and since they only make up about 12% of the population in the US, sometimes, the only education a White person gets about Black people, up close in personal so to speak, is when they watch TV. Hence the sensitivity to negative portrayals. White people, generally have a rich past of perceived success, beauty and accomplishment with relation to the rest of the world. It has only been in recent times that perceptions seem to slowly be changing. Barack Obama is President. Denzel Washington plays great leading roles. So Dr Huxtable is no longer alone. And the last time I checked, the Nazi's WERE villains. But they were always opposed by their "good" White counterparts. So, you might want to think it through before making snap statements like the above.

Having said that, I don't know that Marvel would venture into the realm of trying to use Thor as a vehicle to put a "positive spin" on people of Germanic descent. I'm pretty sure the rest of the world has figured out the German people are not to be confused with the people of the Nazi regime during Hitler's reign. I could only see that polarizing people and perhaps, losing fans in the process. I have friends from all ethnic backgrounds. I am, in part, of German descent myself (along with some Irish). Marvel, was originally a leader in highlighting lead characters of all ethnic backgrounds, and genders, in the 70s under the direction of the great Stan Lee. And they continue that fine tradition. Actually, the issue of race is subtly addressed by the X-Men comics, so Thor may not be the best vehicle for that, although, an issue of Thor, during Stracynski's run, shows Thor effectively staying a war between warring tribes in Africa (ironically enough...). I also, seem to remember an issue of Thor where the issue of him being worshipped by the Teutonic tribes of ancient times mortified him.

Just saying.

#14 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

Verily.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1: About the slavery thing, I'm not saying it wasn't terrible, it was awful but I'm tired of people claiming that slavery was limited to black people. Slavery has been a part of human civilization since the beginning of it and pretty much every race of people on Earth have been both slaves and slavers at various points throughout history. Several black nations such as Nubia and ancient Ethiopian cultures were well known for their use of slave labor just as the ancient Greeks and Romans were and there are several undeveloped nations where slavery is still practiced to this day so Black people were neither the first nor the last to be used as slaves.

#16 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Malevolent1: About the slavery thing, I'm not saying it wasn't terrible, it was awful but I'm tired of people claiming that slavery was limited to black people. Slavery has been a part of human civilization since the beginning of it and pretty much every race of people on Earth have been both slaves and slavers at various points throughout history. Several black nations such as Nubia and ancient Ethiopian cultures were well known for their use of slave labor just as the ancient Greeks and Romans were and there are several undeveloped nations where slavery is still practiced to this day so Black people were neither the first nor the last to be used as slaves.

True. Ancient Rome, for example, did not limit their slavery to Black people exclusively. On the other hand, people's perceptions TODAY have a lot to do with it. I saw a piece on "60 minutes" some time ago. It was about an American Black man who was living in Japan with his family and the struggles he faced there. One of the 60 Minutes reporters asked a random Japanese man, "So what kind of jobs do Black people normally have?". His response was, "Sports star or musician". Japanese culture has followed western American culture pretty closely now for some time, including how the media portrays Blacks in America. There somes to be some evidence that Ethiopia was a great military powerhouse and was regularly relied upon by ancient Egypt during times of national threat. However, black slavery goes all the way back to the Persian dynasty, ancient China and ancient Japan.

But yes, I agree, there does need to be sensitivity in the media toward all ethnic backgrounds.

#17 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

The Shakespearean-ish speech was a gimmick implemented by Stan Lee to make Thor sound/come across as mor 'godly.'

It wasn't meant to define or even give any hint of his origins.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1: I don't mean to sound like I'm competing or anything but many of my ancestors on my father's side of the family were used by Romans for glorified dog fights for the amusement of their population. Despite what many people think of Gladiatorial games, more often than not they were just random slaves being eaten by whatever wild animal they had on hand or being slaughtered for the sake of "reenacting" some historic battle. Romans were sick.

#19 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Malevolent1: I don't mean to sound like I'm competing or anything but many of my ancestors on my father's side of the family were used by Romans for glorified dog fights for the amusement of their population. Despite what many people think of Gladiatorial games, more often than not they were just random slaves being eaten by whatever wild animal they had on hand or being slaughtered for the sake of "reenacting" some historic battle. Romans were sick.

They were beyond sick. Nero thought he could unify Rome by painting Christians back then as a divisive influence in the empire. They used to bind them on upright stakes in coliseums and light them on fire (while they were still alive no less), with the result that the opposite reaction occurred; the Romans actually began to sympathize.

Of course Nero was unusually sick.

#20 Posted by thatlad (590 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said: American's have short attention spans. Whatever sticks they keep using. That's what the higher ups think. Americans still link us to Mary Poppins crap. Britain is more like, Misfits. He is clearly irish

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malevolent1: The Vikings may have been brutal psychos but I have more respect for them cause while they did a lot the same horrible shit the Romans did at least they were honest about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.