Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Bring back Thor's old way of speaking.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gravitypress

I hope that this trend dies soon I miss the "I say the NAY!" Anyone else agree or disagree?

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I say do it occasionally as a joke but it is tiring to read O_O

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Disagree. But he should keep saying "I say thee nay" once in a while.
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

This should answer your question ;D

;D
     ;D
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brit

i disagree.. i dont like it...

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I found that one of the most frustrating things about Thor, and it was one of things that's kept me from ever reading his title. An occasional phrase would be okay, but NOT all his dialogue should be that way.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

Honestly I never understood why a Germanic god spoke in old English 

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MutenRoshi

Bendis can't write that way, Brian Michael Bendis writes every character the same way in avengers and if he gives them any personality at all its personality like some sarcastic punk teenager who grew up in the late 70s/80s 
     if anything he's gonna have Thor speak with some awesome outdated cooler dialogue or have Thor come out with Yiddish/Jewish phrases like he's done with wolverine and spider-man despite the fact none of them are jewish 
     I know reading/writing standards are dropping across the States but just be glad Marvel has dumbed down its Thor dialogue for lesser educated audiences, any knowledge of folklore or any knowledge of old middle english should not be a requirement for today's reader, comic readers are just not that much into history these days 
     if Bendis tried to inject a bit of Shakesphere into Thor like Simonson, JMs or Stan Lee did then Bendis would FAIL and the comic an absolute trainwreck to read

allison_scag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By allison_scag

hmmm It would be fun to see him do it from time to time to mess with people.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @MutenRoshi: Your statement would have still been completely accurate if it had stopped at Bendis can't write
    Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Project_Worm
    @joshmightbe said:
    @MutenRoshi: Your statement would have still been completely accurate if it had stopped at Bendis can't write
    Hahaha xD
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

I always liked the way Thor spoke, but I'm okay with how things are now.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
    @PowerHerc: I never had a problem with it I just didn't understand why he did it
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

@joshmightbe: It was Stan Lee's way (and his brother Larry Leiber's, too) of making Thor and the other gods sound more regal than mere mortals.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe
    @PowerHerc: I know that it just never made sense to me 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

I found it quite hard to understand when I first tried to read a Thor comic when I was 7, but it grew on me and by the time I was ten I liked it.

For me, the Shakespearean speech did lend an aire of regality and godliness to Marvel's gods, even if it doesn't make sense for Agardian, and later Olympian, gods to speak thus.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Forsooth thou there beath hater's but then beath by my beardeth there beath thy playa hater's, but veerily, let me lay dowth this for thee, just because thou cannot contianeth my swagga, shall thou layeth thy judgment on me, ain't nayeth, no shameth in my gameth. Now pass the Courvoisier, I the mighty Thor is about to get crunketh in this mother. *hic*  

Thor should slip back into it anytime the Avengers find him after an epic nine worlds, nine weeks pub crawl with Hercules. 

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By azza04

@SCsaid:

Forsooth thou there beath hater's but then beath by my beardeth there beath thy playa hater's, but veerily, let me lay dowth this for thee, just because thou cannot contianeth my swagga, shall thou layeth thy judgment on me, ain't nayeth, no shameth in my gameth. Now pass the Courvoisier, I the mighty Thor is about to get crunketh in this mother. *hic* Thor should slip back into it anytime the Avengers find him after an epic nine worlds, nine weeks pub crawl with Hercules.

Lmao, SC strikes again =D

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vidarrodinson

We like his old  dialogue.  Check out Thor # 326.  He told Juggernaut, No longer art thou protected by thy impenetratable force field.  That 's like cursing you out properly.   That's what separates Thor form the muscleheads.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

@SC said:

Thor should slip back into it anytime the Avengers find him after an epic nine worlds, nine weeks pub crawl with Hercules.

Thaaattttt'sss Riiiiggghhhhhtttttttt !!!!!!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @SC said:
    Forsooth thou there beath hater's but then beath by my beardeth there beath thy playa hater's, but veerily, let me lay dowth this for thee, just because thou cannot contianeth my swagga, shall thou layeth thy judgment on me, ain't nayeth, no shameth in my gameth. Now pass the Courvoisier, I the mighty Thor is about to get crunketh in this mother. *hic*   Thor should slip back into it anytime the Avengers find him after an epic nine worlds, nine weeks pub crawl with Hercules. 
    Is that how they speak in the Asgardian hoods?
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By z3ro180

hell to the no in bring back the oldith wayith of the gods speaking......so i say NAY TO THE OLD WAY...yay that rymes lol

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    @SC said:
    Forsooth thou there beath hater's but then beath by my beardeth there beath thy playa hater's, but veerily, let me lay dowth this for thee, just because thou cannot contianeth my swagga, shall thou layeth thy judgment on me, ain't nayeth, no shameth in my gameth. Now pass the Courvoisier, I the mighty Thor is about to get crunketh in this mother. *hic*   Thor should slip back into it anytime the Avengers find him after an epic nine worlds, nine weeks pub crawl with Hercules. 
    Is that how they speak in the Asgardian hoods?
    lol
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aqua11500
    @SC said:
    I think i just peed on myself  from laughing so hard XD 

You say the most randomness things..lol
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aqua11500

BTW im glad he didn't speak like that in the movie. 

That was one of the reason i could NOT read Thor,i thought he was some Shakespearean olden time god..lol 

The huge wings on his head made it no better,i thought he was just a dorky looking character to begin with.I'm glad they modernized him,he needed an update.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Icarusflies said:

I found that one of the most frustrating things about Thor, and it was one of things that's kept me from ever reading his title. An occasional phrase would be okay, but NOT all his dialogue should be that way.

Exactly, he is my favorite character but its a real struggle to read some of the classic comics because of this, i stick to only getting the 'big moments' like Beta Ray Bill & Fire Lord's first appearances.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omega Ray Jay said:
    @Icarusflies said:

Exactly, he is my favorite character but its a real struggle to read some of the classic comics because of this, i stick to only getting the 'big moments' like Beta Ray Bill & Fire Lord's first appearances.
    Verily.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

NAY!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.