Avengers #1...another disgrace for thor?

#201 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: i dont have to look at the blog... and read someone elses opinion....

i have every single confrontaion i have them all... hulk has won more... its blatant.....

... take it a step further.... just look at the media movies and animations.. hulk beat thor to death man in hulk vs thor humiliatingly so... i actually snapped that disk......

one shotted him with his own hammer in ultimate avengers... beat him up in the move......

nothing more to be said...

#202 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin: You obviously have not got them all... Or if you have in digital you have not read them, I have ever avengers/ironman/thor/spiderman and wolverine issue to date in Digital but I have not read them all.

I get what your saying, Thor gets beat publicly more, but in real terms, all charectors get beaten up, did you see what happened to spiderman in AvX? He got stomped proper.

#203 Posted by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin: Thor has knocked hulk out loads of times.. lol get your facts right.

and nearly all incarnations of Thor are much stronger than hulk, Rune king.. Odin force.. Thor force.. King thor.. Stan lee Thor stomps Hulk... Only hulk to contend is WWH.

...You've basically mentioned the same guy 3 times.

"Stan Lee" thor did not stomp the Hulk either.

The only Hulk a regular Thor is stronger than is the Grey Hulk.

#204 Edited by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@cmartin: So you want me to show you a few scans when you can see 10+ on that site, so you want me to copy and paste random images... seriously?

red hulk for fun

Yeah that the cover to the issue from Parker's Red Hulk series where they had their second fight. Thor has never KOed Rulk.

A stalemate. There was no KO. And that was the Hulk who couldnt get madder or stronger.

kills him in this one easily

Its an alternate future and he hardly killed him easily. They fought for hours apparently (though Thing was there also and theres some controvery over whether Thor was still residually boosted by the Odinforce - story seems to say no while the author later said he "must have been")

Nearly 1 shot kills him in this

Another controversial issue. For my money thats clearly the Red Hulk - fighting at night, in the desert, choregraphed very similar to the fight with Rulk, creature has same eyes as Rulk and the same colouring as Thors cape, came out very shortly after the Red Hulk fight, Thor is in his modern costume which he has never fought Hulk in (the first time we saw modern Thor and Hulk meet they shook hands and declared friendship). To top it off the writer said that he meant for it to be the Green Hulk but the Red Hulk was drawn instead. So again as far as I am concerned, that pretty much makes it the Red Hulk.

Now go read for yourself if its possible.

#205 Posted by CharlesMartel (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@coltnelson said:

Initially, I was irritated at Thor seemingly getting stomped by everyone in AvX, but once I was enlightened to the fact that he was the sole Avenger who consistently stood up to the Phoenix Force and the Phoenix empowered mutant, I felt better about it. I actually enjoy the idea of Thor's role on the Avengers as the guy who will step up and fight the battles that no one else on the team can, even if that means he gets whooped on every once and a while. For better or worse, its a role the Avengers need to be a believable superhero team. As far as comics go, it would not be very believable to have Captain America fight Galactus or brawl with the Hulk when he flips and attacks everyone. Even other powerful members like the Red Hulk or Hulk would not be able to fill Thor's role, they simply can't always do things that Thor can. For example, Hulk could not fly into deep space to intercept the Phoenix Force and despite ultimately losing to it, Thor was the only one who could do that. Thor's heroics don't always have to be about being the biggest, baddest Avengers (though I firmly believe he is without a doubt) who can fight anybody and win. Heroics can be about doing what needs to be done so his team and fellow heroes can stop the bad guys and save the day. In conclusion, Thor may not always be the hero we want, but he is always the hero we need (except for that time he conquered Earth, killed all his fellow Avengers and became a crazy god-tyrant for like a century).

I totally agree with this. I'm not much of a fan anymore, but I like Thor. I think it's good for a character to constantly stand up to and challenge powerful opponents, even if he gets beat down..he still gets up and tries again. This is a true hero in my book. Otherwise he'd just be a boring, mindless goon with no debt

#206 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@Pyrogram said:

and nearly all incarnations of Thor are much stronger than hulk, Rune king.. Odin force.. Thor force.. King thor.. Stan lee Thor stomps Hulk... Only hulk to contend is WWH.

I know I mentioned the same guy, but different incarnations and power levels...

#207 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild: You cannot dispute any as they are all canon without PIS. and have you read any of those comics you are disputing? I have read all of them. I don't post out of context scans, well the only one I have not read actually is the one where thor is punching hulk and he screams hnnnnnnnnnnnn

#208 Posted by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@Fifthchild said:

@Pyrogram said:

King Thor and OdinForce Thor - same guy, same powerlevel. At least in my book. "Rune King Thor" is a little more ambiguous but 95% of the evidence points at him being at the same power level. The difference was in his wisdom and his ability to see a resolution to the cycle of Ragnorak. He gained insight and not power, though an argument could be made about "Rune Magic" I suppose.

@Pyrogram said:

@Fifthchild: You cannot dispute any as they are all canon without PIS. and have you read any of those comics you are disputing?

Yes i have read them all. And having done so I know the circumstance of each. I know that one is just a cover, one of them takes place in a future alternate reality, one never indicates that its actually the Green Hulk, one has the Hulk when he couldn't get angrier or stronger etc.

I have read all of them. I don't post out of context scans, well the only one I have not read actually is the one where thor is punching hulk and he screams hnnnnnnnnnnnn

And he doesnt KO the Hulk in that issue. Its not a bad showing for Thor by any means but its another unconclusive fight.

#209 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Fifthchild said:

@Pyrogram said:

King Thor and OdinForce Thor - same guy, same powerlevel. At least in my book. "Rune King Thor" is a little more ambiguous but 95% of the evidence points at him being at the same power level. The difference was in his wisdom and his ability to see a resolution to the cycle of Ragnorak. He gained insight and not power, though an argument could be made about "Rune Magic" I suppose.

Rune king Thor is vastly above Odin force thor

@Pyrogram said:

@Fifthchild: You cannot dispute any as they are all canon without PIS. and have you read any of those comics you are disputing?

Yes i have read them all. And having done so I know the circumstance of each. I know that one is just a cover, one of them takes place in a future alternate reality, one never indicates that its actually the Green Hulk, one has the Hulk when he couldn't get angrier or stronger etc.

Any of that means? Thor still done them in canon.

I have read all of them. I don't post out of context scans, well the only one I have not read actually is the one where thor is punching hulk and he screams hnnnnnnnnnnnn

And he doesnt KO the Hulk in that issue. Its not a bad showing for Thor by any means but its another unconclusive fight.

I guess.

#210 Posted by CharlesMartel (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild: Based on my understanding Thor has KOed the hulk 3 times. He did it in Fear Itself (although questionable, his text bubble was blank so I figured he had been knocked out in space), he did it with a lightning bolt in one of their fights, and he it when he and professor Hulk were fighting in space and Thor hit him back down to Earth and he was knocked out on impact (again, I am pretty unsure about this one so correct me if I'm wrong)

#211 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@CharlesMartel said:

@Fifthchild: Based on my understanding Thor has KOed the hulk 3 times. He did it in Fear Itself (although questionable, his text bubble was blank so I figured he had been knocked out in space), he did it with a lightning bolt in one of their fights, and he it when he and professor Hulk were fighting in space and Thor hit him back down to Earth and he was knocked out on impact (again, I am pretty unsure about this one so correct me if I'm wrong)

no... it was thor hulk aand drax fighting thor didnt hit hulk to earth he drifted away.... that was pitiful trying to call that a ko....

see the scans i posted hulk knocked thor out no question.... thor has knocked out hulk once hulk v thor 2001 annual and hulk knocked him back out straight after

#212 Posted by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CharlesMartel said:

Fraction used empty speech bubbles a lot in Fear Itself and other instances but never to indicate unconsciousness. See my post on this page for more detail:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/thor-vs-hulk/5057/?page=12

So for that reason if nothing else, I dont think Nul was KOed in that shot.

Going off memory here but I'm pretty sure Hulk wasnt KOed after falling to Earth in Infinity War. He landed on WonderMan or something "comical".

Thor did indeed KO Hulk with lightning in the 2001 Annual however.

#213 Edited by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@CharlesMartel said:

Fraction used empty speech bubbles a lot in Fear Itself and other instances but never to indicate unconsciousness. See my post on this page for more detail:

Going off memory here but I'm pretty sure Hulk wasnt KOed after falling to Earth in Infinity War. He landed on WonderMan or something "comical".

here is a man who knows his comics

#214 Posted by CharlesMartel (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@CharlesMartel said:

Good point actually. Not sure why he does that though, as it clearly can bring confusion. I don't know, I suppose people will make of it what they will.

Are you sure? I have heard from others that he WAS knocked out when he came back to Earth....I might have to do some looking into that one

Yeah I think that fight was really the only real WIN Thor had over the Hulk, all questionable instances aside

#215 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@CharlesMartel: True, But we all know on paper Thor SHOULD win every time. But Hulk is the casual fan person so he wins most.

#216 Posted by CharlesMartel (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@CharlesMartel: True, But we all know on paper Thor SHOULD win every time. But Hulk is the casual fan person so he wins most.

I have no doubt at all that Thor would win every time due to his power and versatility, but Hulk "being more popular" shouldn't always be used as an excuse. Thor has MORALS. It's in his nature to brawl and test his strength against guys like Hulk, and considering hes someone that is highly resistant to blunt force, has regeneration, and gets stronger the angrier he gets...Well, I see no problem in there being a "rivalry" under those standards

#217 Posted by HaveAtThee (522 posts) - - Show Bio

The sucker punch didn't really bother me as much as Thor barely getting more than a "Pfft!" in terms of dialogue. Thor is a founding member of The Avengers and, by far, their most experienced warrior. You would think that a major decision regarding the team would have required Thor's inclusion in the discussions between Stark and Rodgers. Even if he showed up to tell Cap "In you and Stark I trust to do right by The Avengers." Nothing. No character development of any kind, nothing new or interesting.

Another egregious affront is Thor being tied up by supposedly powerful vines. If we are to accept that he cannot break free, fine. But Mjolnir is just sitting right in front of him. Thor can will it wherever he wants it to go. You would think Thor would "will" it to strike the villains, even if to try and escape and free his team. This is just lazy writing by Hickman. Sucker punch by Hulk, Thor is stunned and subsequently tied up by vines/tree limbs.

His premise of having Thor captain a squad including Hyperion, Smashser and Captain Universe is interesting because it will allow Thor to show off his power and shine amongst powerful teammates. He wouldn't have to stand next to human spies like Hawkeye and Widow. The premise is at least interesting enough, but I'm not sold on this title being anything incredible just yet.

#218 Posted by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@HaveAtThee said:

The sucker punch didn't really bother me as much as Thor barely getting more than a "Pfft!" in terms of dialogue. Thor is a founding member of The Avengers and, by far, their most experienced warrior. You would think that a major decision regarding the team would have required Thor's inclusion in the discussions between Stark and Rodgers. Even if he showed up to tell Cap "In you and Stark I trust to do right by The Avengers." Nothing. No character development of any kind, nothing new or interesting.

Another egregious affront is Thor being tied up by supposedly powerful vines. If we are to accept that he cannot break free, fine. But Mjolnir is just sitting right in front of him. Thor can will it wherever he wants it to go. You would think Thor would "will" it to strike the villains, even if to try and escape and free his team. This is just lazy writing by Hickman. Sucker punch by Hulk, Thor is stunned and subsequently tied up by vines/tree limbs.

Thor has spent a fair bit of his history with the risk of turning into Donald Blake if his hammer did not return to his hand in 60 seconds. This involved many situations where Mjolnir was out of reach but Thor could not just mentally summon it to him without it being thrown first or command it to attack people. There are a few instances of such things happening but they are far from the norm.

#219 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

when will marvel respect thor..... when when when

#220 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

The title of this thread should be "Pity Party for someone who doesn't deserve one".

#221 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaveAtThee said:

His premise of having Thor captain a squad including Hyperion, Smashser and Captain Universe is interesting because it will allow Thor to show off his power and shine amongst powerful teammates. He wouldn't have to stand next to human spies like Hawkeye and Widow. The premise is at least interesting enough, but I'm not sold on this title being anything incredible just yet.

The "major decision" regarding the team didn't involve Thor because he's not in the Illuminati. The story in the Avengers book ties in the the Illuminati story in New Avengers. Cap & Tony are members and Thor is not. So being their most experienced warrior and founding member actually doesn't mean anything. Also it was only the first issue. Thor is on the team so obviously he's going to do more than get punched by Hulk in the series. Where are you getting that Hickman is lazy? Obviously he purposely didn't show you what happened between Hulk and Thor or how the Avengers ended up getting captured. Have you see the previews for the following issue?
#222 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: No, care to show them pleaSE?

#223 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Vance Astro: No, care to show them pleaSE?

#224 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

how is thor held by vines...... marvel marvel marvel...(shakes head)

#225 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

Obviously they aren't regular vines or they wouldn't have even held Black Widow. Stop pretending Marvel is doing something wrong.
#226 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Ow cool that one, I read that, thanks anyways.

#227 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Vance Astro: Ow cool that one, I read that, thanks anyways.

Oh, no problem.
#228 Posted by HaveAtThee (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read both issues. Nothing special, IMO. Not mainly because of anything Thor related, but because I'm not sure if Hickman can pull it off. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with Hickman's run. As I said earlier, the first three issues are specifically set up for the development and assembly of the expanded roster. According to that "seating chart" in the book, Thor will be captaining a team of heavy-hitters, so one would think they would be tasked with non-Earth crises across the universe.

Uncanny Avengers looks to be the more ambitious title, in my humble opinion. The new roster and next arc (whenever that comes out) are both intriguing and we get to see Young Thor vs. Young Apocalypse, which is new to canon if I'm not mistaken. Apparently Remender and Aaron have been working together to tell this story as the Young Thor Remender is using is the same person from "God of Thunder."

#229 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

Obviously they aren't regular vines or they wouldn't have even held Black Widow. Stop pretending Marvel is doing something wrong.

where did i say they were regular vines..... please show me.......?????!!!

Nothing should be able to hold thor..... bet tey wouldnt have hulk tied up in vines... where is the 100 class limitless strength

#230 Posted by tomlikesfries (4641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

E-fu**ing-xactly. God, people have to nitpick at the slightest things.

#231 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

Nothing should be able to hold thor..... bet tey wouldnt have hulk tied up in vines... where is the 100 class limitless strength

You didn't have to. I took your post in context. You asked "How is Thor held by vines?" and shook your head at Marvel Obviously those vines are made strong enough to hold down someone of class 100 strength because Iron Man is ALSO tied up. They didn't tie Hulk up because he's already under their control. Which is why he punched Thor. "Nothing should be able to hold Thor" is a nonsensical statement.
#232 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh look, this thread is still alive

#233 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

You didn't have to. I took your post in context. You asked "How is Thor held by vines?" and shook your head at Marvel Obviously those vines are made strong enough to hold down someone of class 100 strength because Iron Man is ALSO tied up. They didn't tie Hulk up because he's already under their control. Which is why he punched Thor. "Nothing should be able to hold Thor" is a nonsensical statement.

well if they have vines that can hold the strongest being on earth...... i dunno what i think it should be stipulated why these vines can hold thor... was this done?

#234 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

well if they have vines that can hold the strongest being on earth...... i dunno what i think it should be stipulated why these vines can hold thor... was this done?

I haven't read the second issue yet, so I don't know but I don't think the writer needs to tell you why those vines can hold Thor, they just can..that's it.
#235 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

i think for some vines to hold the strongest beig on earth their needs to be an explaanation ... you wouldnt see superman tied up with no explanation or the hulk.....

#236 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Oh look, this thread is still alive

Lol, This is the first thing said on this thread that made sense.

#237 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

same as if i saw the flash being out raced by a a car there needs to be an explanation......as to why this car is faster than the fastest being on earth... agree?... no?

#238 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because common sense should tell you that these vines aren't "normal" if they're holding Thor, Ironman or even Black Widow. And Thor's NEVER been classified as having "LIMITLESS strength."

#239 Posted by Pyrogram (36386 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby: Lol Thor has limitless strength, nope.

#240 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby said:

No, because common sense should tell you that these vines aren't "normal" if they're holding Thor, Ironman or even Black Widow. And Thor's NEVER been classified as having "LIMITLESS strength."

yes genius smartass we can tell the vines .... can hold thor...... thats evident but what im looking is an explanation as to why..... and how (things most sheep people dont consider)

like thor about to hit adumantium or something like that... he states "my mallet has proved ineffective against adamatium in the past etc etc"

something along those lines ......

#241 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17950 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby said:

yes genius smartass we can tell the vines .... can hold thor...... thats evident but what im looking is an explanation as to why..... and how (things most sheep people dont consider)

like thor about to hit adumantium or something like that... he states "my mallet has proved ineffective against adamatium in the past etc etc"

though a explanation is needed , it only takes a little brain power to realize that thor getting hold by regular vines would not be the case , and don't insult other users.

#242 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby said:

though a explanation is needed , it only takes a little brain power to realize that thor getting hold by regular vines would not be the case , and don't insult other users.

here we go fella....I did not insult anyone it was the other user who pulled the sarcasm card...what i say still stands..... so kill the high and might talk.... it doesnt change a thing

if the strongest being is held by vines as a avid comic reader i would like even a line to explain why... they are able to hold such a being....simple as.....

kind regards

#243 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby said:

The answer is that vine chick just that powerful.

Now, you're next question should be, "But How'd she get so powerful?"

To which I will answer, "Read the book since it's undoubtedly part of the storyline. As opposed incorrectly assuming Marvel was disrespecting Thor by having him be held by simple vines."

#244 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby said:

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby said:

The answer is that vine chick just that powerful.

Now, you're next question should be, "But How'd she get so powerful?"

To which I will answer, "Read the book since it's undoubtedly part of the storyline. As opposed incorrectly assuming Marvel was disrespecting Thor by having him be held by simple vines."

Ha Ha I hear you man.... but you do see my pespective though.. if you own a porshe and you race a honda and it wins... you would be a little curious as to whats under the hood of the honda....

But i hear what youre saying man

#245 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin: Oh, I totally et where you're coming from.

But just remember, its an entire arc so we shouldn't judge based off one issue.

#246 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5149 posts) - - Show Bio

At least his still very interesting and fun to read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.