Avengers #1...another disgrace for thor?

#1 Posted by TheGodofThunder (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I realize the issue is not out yet, but in the gallery there is an image of hulk punching thor from avengers #1. I know it is a single panel, but this could mean bad news for thor fans and his recent power levels. I just hope that thor gets a good showing. I was hoping Marvel now would be a turn around for our favorite norse god.

#2 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGodofThunder said:

I realize the issue is not out yet, but in the gallery there is an image of hulk punching thor from avengers #1. I know it is a single panel, but this could mean bad news for thor fans and his recent power levels. I just hope that thor gets a good showing. I was hoping Marvel now would be a turn around for our favorite norse god.

Have you got the image?

#3 Edited by God_Spawn (37560 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how good his solo series is so far, I'll let a currently unexplained scan slide.

#4 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

Single punch =/= lost fight.

#5 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (853 posts) - - Show Bio

If u say the issue isn't even out yet then don't judge too much about it until u get the actually issue and if Thor did get K.O.ed by Hulk then u can complain about it. It may not be a simple knock out and he's just getting started and may throw some punches at Hulk. Still, hopefully sooner or later Thor will get a come back at Hulk some way or another and if he wins then that's good for him right? So don't worry too much until then.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

You're favorite hero is one of the most powerful in all comics yet Thor fans always find time and place to complain about something. What gives?

#7 Posted by xybernick (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Because he isn't ever portrayed as powerful as he should be. It seems every character gets their punch in but Thor. And his dialogue is never even that great. Thor: God of Thunder has been absolutely amazing. And I just read Avengers #1, completely amazing as well. I enjoyed Thor being punched by Hulk. I wasn't disappointed with Thor because he wasn't given any sort of opportunity in the series to do something god-like quite yet. I am rather optimistic for Hickman's work on this series. SO, for the complaining? Yes, I can see why it can be annoying, but it is never without cause. We feel Thor has been given the short end of the stick these past few years. He was built up by JMS and Gillen so well throughout their runs and Siege. Then all of a sudden he became dull and powerless. Especially in AvX. What gives with that?

#8 Posted by Thorcules (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I never got why Thor has been displayed like that. I just hope it's not going to be as bad as I think

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17750 posts) - - Show Bio

it's just one punch..jeez....it doesn't mean anything, in the following panels both thor and hulk are KO'd

#10 Posted by tomlikesfries (4638 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

it's just one punch..jeez....it doesn't mean anything, in the following panels both thor and hulk are KO'd

Yeah. And, Thor was caught off-guard, so read the comic before judging. Besides, Hulk is pretty strong lol. If it was a punch from Black Widow I'd understand why you are mad, but it isn't.

#11 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17750 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Yeah. And, Thor was caught off-guard, so read the comic before judging. Besides, Hulk is pretty strong lol. If it was a punch from Black Widow I'd understand why you are mad, but it isn't.

exactly ! just because hulk cough thor off guard , it doesn't mean that hulk beat him, and besides, hulks the guy who causes earthquakes with his fists, so yeah no body should be mad, i wouldn't be mad if thor punched hulk when he wasn't looking. And anyways it doesn't even matter, they both get KO'd some panels later.

#12 Posted by Kellar21 (444 posts) - - Show Bio

who the hell manages to KO Hulk AND Thor??

#13 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure Hulk does one-shot Thor. The next panel has Cap telling the bad guys they still havent won as long as he is standing. Which kind of implies hes the last Avenger standing. And all the bad guys are concentrating on him - not watching Thor and Hulk fight. Afterwards i assume the woman who took control of him just told Hulk to go to sleep.

#14 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Why am i not supised... id bet anything marvel will have hulk stomp thor....

whats new a rivalry in which hulk wins everytime......

#15 Edited by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@xybernick said:

SO, for the complaining? Yes, I can see why it can be annoying, but it is never without cause. 

Most times it is, because when I actually read what people are upset about, it's usually fabricated. 

@xybernick said:

Then all of a sudden he became dull and powerless. 

No, he didn't. 

@xybernick said:

Especially in AvX. What gives with that?

Nobody was portrayed well in  AvX. 
#16 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not clear on exactly why Thor fans consider AvX to be a low showing. His durability took a beating througout the entire series yet he kept coming back. hell, his psi-resistance got a couple of good feats. He was fighting the Phoenix and people empowered by the Phoenix, so it's not like he was KO'd by some low-level guys.

#17 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is incredibly strong...Thor is incredibly strong. One panel, out of context, doesn't seem like an issue to me.

#18 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21 said:

Hulk is incredibly strong...Thor is incredibly strong. One panel, out of context, doesn't seem like an issue to me.

ok how much would you bet that thor is utterly disgraced?

would you bet against that....

marvel will never let hulk lose to thor, again

the fact that they have thor plus the avengers fighting him says it all, for those who like the mighty thor i suggest you stick to back issues, anything after 97 98...... wasnt the mighty tho IMO

#19 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin: Um, Thor has been fighting Hulk with the Avengers help since Avengers #1 back in the 60's. This isn't anything new. Last year, they had Thor kill a Skyfather and one-shot kill Worthy Thing, who man-handled Rulk. Let's not pretend Thor hasn't had his share of recent good showings.

#20 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby:

whenever thor has fought hulk with the avengers present its after the avengers failthen thor takes over..

see hulk 300, when thor engages hulk he stats... I have stood back...... etc

he actually won that fight....

what sky father did thor kill.. bor

that fight was so un epic.... thor cut his hands holding bors axe.... .. man handled rulk how after rulk beat him uncoucious with his hammer and tossed him like garbage.... once rulk rulk grabberd hiis hammer (good writing marvel) it was over thor had no physical strength to fight.. he is NOTHING without his hammer no strength no fighting skills like classic thor who was badass....

thor now current thor is a wimp, he cannot do anything bar using his hammer

#21 Posted by coltnelson (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby said:

I'm still not clear on exactly why Thor fans consider AvX to be a low showing. His durability took a beating througout the entire series yet he kept coming back. hell, his psi-resistance got a couple of good feats. He was fighting the Phoenix and people empowered by the Phoenix, so it's not like he was KO'd by some low-level guys.

Initially, I was irritated at Thor seemingly getting stomped by everyone in AvX, but once I was enlightened to the fact that he was the sole Avenger who consistently stood up to the Phoenix Force and the Phoenix empowered mutant, I felt better about it. I actually enjoy the idea of Thor's role on the Avengers as the guy who will step up and fight the battles that no one else on the team can, even if that means he gets whooped on every once and a while. For better or worse, its a role the Avengers need to be a believable superhero team. As far as comics go, it would not be very believable to have Captain America fight Galactus or brawl with the Hulk when he flips and attacks everyone. Even other powerful members like the Red Hulk or Hulk would not be able to fill Thor's role, they simply can't always do things that Thor can. For example, Hulk could not fly into deep space to intercept the Phoenix Force and despite ultimately losing to it, Thor was the only one who could do that. Thor's heroics don't always have to be about being the biggest, baddest Avengers (though I firmly believe he is without a doubt) who can fight anybody and win. Heroics can be about doing what needs to be done so his team and fellow heroes can stop the bad guys and save the day. In conclusion, Thor may not always be the hero we want, but he is always the hero we need (except for that time he conquered Earth, killed all his fellow Avengers and became a crazy god-tyrant for like a century).

@80sBaby said:

@cmartin: Um, Thor has been fighting Hulk with the Avengers help since Avengers #1 back in the 60's. This isn't anything new. Last year, they had Thor kill a Skyfather and one-shot kill Worthy Thing, who man-handled Rulk. Let's not pretend Thor hasn't had his share of recent good showings.

I agree with this also. Thor has done some pretty awesome stuff recently in 2011 and 2012 as well. I am also liking how things in the new Thor: God of Thunder are shaping up. I feel confident that its going to be a pretty solid run.

#22 Posted by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin: That's not true. Thor has attacked Hulk in unison with the Avengers on more than one occasion, including teaming up with the Agents of Atlas. Also, I said Worthy Thing beat/nearly killed Rulk and then Thor one-shotted Worthy Thing while also fighting Worthy Hulk (keep in mind this was after Thor had already suffered injuries from previous fights.) Thor defeated Bor and the Serpent. You may think those fights anti-climatic but that's subjective. The fact remains Thor was shown to defeat 2 Skyfathers, which is impressive. "Classic" Thor got beat down by Hulk without his hammer and was unable to defeat Juggernaut without it, too. He wasn't anymore "bad-ass" than he is now.

#23 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby: wrong thor beat the daylights out of juggernaut hand to hand he threw his hammer out that took aways juggys for field then beat him hand to hand handily... has current thor even ever punched anyone...

listen son kid... go do your research.....ive been reading thor for maybe 20 yrs

#24 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

ok son... please show me current thor doing anything ..... without his hammer nearly as badass.... rookie

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24874 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my one and only problem with people calling Hulk beating Thor PIS, If it had happened once or twice okay fine that could have been PIS but the thing is almost every time Hulk and Thor have fought going all the way back to the 60s its always been a pretty much fair fight between the two. If something has literally always been true of a character it ceases to be PIS because its just part of the character.

#26 Posted by SUNMAN (7181 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk>Thor

I think marvels made this clear

#27 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Hulk>Thor

I think marvels made this clear

as a thor fan.... i sadly have to agree

#28 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

You're favorite hero is one of the most powerful in all comics yet Thor fans always find time and place to complain about something. What gives?

what gives is he is written like the most powerful, if you notice you hardly hear hulk fans complain because he is written well... and stomps....

#29 Posted by Asagod (292 posts) - - Show Bio

@coltnelson said:

@80sBaby said:

Initially, I was irritated at Thor seemingly getting stomped by everyone in AvX, but once I was enlightened to the fact that he was the sole Avenger who consistently stood up to the Phoenix Force and the Phoenix empowered mutant, I felt better about it. I actually enjoy the idea of Thor's role on the Avengers as the guy who will step up and fight the battles that no one else on the team can, even if that means he gets whooped on every once and a while. For better or worse, its a role the Avengers need to be a believable superhero team. As far as comics go, it would not be very believable to have Captain America fight Galactus or brawl with the Hulk when he flips and attacks everyone. Even other powerful members like the Red Hulk or Hulk would not be able to fill Thor's role, they simply can't always do things that Thor can. For example, Hulk could not fly into deep space to intercept the Phoenix Force and despite ultimately losing to it, Thor was the only one who could do that. Thor's heroics don't always have to be about being the biggest, baddest Avengers (though I firmly believe he is without a doubt) who can fight anybody and win. Heroics can be about doing what needs to be done so his team and fellow heroes can stop the bad guys and save the day. In conclusion, Thor may not always be the hero we want, but he is always the hero we need (except for that time he conquered Earth, killed all his fellow Avengers and became a crazy god-tyrant for like a century).

Totally agreed.

#30 Edited by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@coltnelson said:

@80sBaby said:

@80sBaby said:

I agree with this also. Thor has done some pretty awesome stuff recently in 2011 and 2012 as well. I am also liking how things in the new Thor: God of Thunder are shaping up. I feel confident that its going to be a pretty solid run.

Exactly.

What's funny is, that for all this talk of "Classic" Thor being so much better than curren, I recall "Classic" Thor getting KO'd by a bullet!

Being KO'd by Hulk or the Phoenix 5 is better than that! lol

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby: wrong thor beat the daylights out of juggernaut hand to hand he threw his hammer out that took aways juggys for field then beat him hand to hand handily... has current thor even ever punched anyone...

listen son kid... go do your research.....ive been reading thor for maybe 20 yrs

@cmartin said:

ok son... please show me current thor doing anything ..... without his hammer nearly as badass.... rookie

I think I see your problem. Reading comprehension 101. I said "Thor didnt defeat Juggernaut" and I was right. You merely cropped the image to suit your argument. This is also called lying. Here's the FULL image:

Like I said, Thor didn't "beat" Juggs at all. In fact, his hammer came back to him and Juggs forcefield was re-instated. Juggernaut wasn't actually defeated. Have you read the actual issue or are you just looking through Respect threads? Or do you intentionally mis-lead/out right lie?

And I notice you didn't respond to any of my other points? Why? Because I was correct.

Try less insults and more reading.

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

@Vance Astro said:

what gives is he is written like the most powerful, if you notice you hardly hear hulk fans complain because he is written well... and stomps....

What?
#32 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

he defeated him beat him hand to hand out skilled out punched.... its you comprehension skills that needs attention... thor didnt knock him out but he beat jugs in that issue..

#33 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sBaby:

dont be fresh kid i have the comic sealed and in plastic i have every thor hero clash hulk, iron man you name it

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

he defeated him beat him hand to hand out skilled out punched.... its you comprehension skills that needs attention... thor didnt knock him out but he beat jugs in that issue..

My comprehension skills are fine, it's your grammar and usage that are the problem..and I still have no clue what you're talking about.
#35 Edited by 80sBaby (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

Um, no.

Thor even specifically says "I must put an end to this..." but fails to do so. So, no, Juggs wasn't defeated, at all. Nice try, though.

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby:

dont be fresh kid i have the comic sealed and in plastic i have every thor hero clash hulk, iron man you name it

Your point?

You're still a liar and you were still wrong.

Deal with it.

#36 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

My comprehension skills are fine, it's your grammar and usage that are the problem..and I still have no clue what you're talking about.

That wsnt meant for you, but for 8o's baby, but in response to what you said, the reason thor fans are always disatisatified is because we do not like how the character is written, he lacks the poser he is supposed to have, if you visit the hulk board you will seldom see hulk fans complaining, why you ask? because hulk is written well he and he stomps...

#37 Posted by THORSON (2340 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernick said:

@Vance Astro: Because he isn't ever portrayed as powerful as he should be. It seems every character gets their punch in but Thor. And his dialogue is never even that great. Thor: God of Thunder has been absolutely amazing. And I just read Avengers #1, completely amazing as well. I enjoyed Thor being punched by Hulk. I wasn't disappointed with Thor because he wasn't given any sort of opportunity in the series to do something god-like quite yet. I am rather optimistic for Hickman's work on this series. SO, for the complaining? Yes, I can see why it can be annoying, but it is never without cause. We feel Thor has been given the short end of the stick these past few years. He was built up by JMS and Gillen so well throughout their runs and Siege. Then all of a sudden he became dull and powerless. Especially in AvX. What gives with that?

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

That wsnt meant for you, but for 8o's baby, but in response to what you said, the reason thor fans are always disatisatified is because we do not like how the character is written, he lacks the poser he is supposed to have, if you visit the hulk board you will seldom see hulk fans complaining, why you ask? because hulk is written well he and he stomps...

I think it's just the difference between Hulk fans and Thor fans. Hulk gets owned alot more than Thor does even in his own books and Hulk fans don't complain. 
#39 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby: wrong thor beat the daylights out of juggernaut hand to hand he threw his hammer out that took aways juggys for field then beat him hand to hand handily... has current thor even ever punched anyone...listen son kid... go do your research.....ive been reading thor for maybe 20 yrs

Well "Dad" I dont see how that contradicts anything 80sBaby said which was " "Classic" Thor got beat down by Hulk without his hammer and was unable to defeat Juggernaut without it, too." Juggernaut without forcefield is hardly the same thing as normal Juggernaut. And to remove the forcefield Thor needed....the hammer.

Also no need to be so patronising. Seriously guys like 80sBaby already know this stuff. There are a lot of young, uninformed posters on these boards but not everyone is like that and this Thor vs Juggernaut fight is hardly esoteric knowledge.

#40 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

I think it's just the difference between Hulk fans and Thor fans. Hulk gets owned alot more than Thor does even in his own books and Hulk fans don't complain.

Hmm dont know that i can agree. Hulk has had an epic 5 or so years in which he has lost maybe 2 or 3 fights. Thor probably lost 2 or 3 fights in the past month. I can both see why Thor fans are upset at how things have been going for their fave and i also disagree that Hulk tends to get owned more. If anything, even back in the day, the typical Thor story was more likely to see Thor struggling valiantly against overwhelming odds while the typical Hulk story ended with him getting mad and overpowering something.

Both groups of fans tend to complain when things go wrong. I think that some Thor fans might have more of a sense of "entitlement" than Hulk fans - they basically feel Thor should be the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe. Hulk fans absolutely see him as a powerhouse but care much more about strength than anything else and arent offended at the idea that Thor is generally a peer in terms of power. IN my experience however there are a substantial subset of Thor fans who get upset at the idea that Hulk might be in Thor's league.

#41 Edited by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild:

there is beat and there is defeat , thor didnt lose that fight he wasn't knocked out or beaten, jusggernaut was beaten ... and looked to be on the last ropes until the force fieldcame back, , if im figing you and wailing on you and have you nearly out on your last leg then something interrupts the fight or breaks it up who won? what i am trying to say is new thor NEVER fights hand to had like that.... thor has roughed up hulk hand to hand to,

all current thor does is bash with the hammer and lightning there seems to be no other dimension to his fighting style....once the hammer is taken he seems to be lost.....and uttterly defeated....

#42 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@Vance Astro said:

@cmartin said:

Hmm dont know that i can agree. Hulk has had an epic 5 or so years in which he has lost maybe 2 or 3 fights. Thor probably lost 2 or 3 fights in the past month. I can both see why Thor fans are upset at how things have been going for their fave and i also disagree that Hulk tends to get owned more. If anything, even back in the day, the typical Thor story was more likely to see Thor struggling valiantly against overwhelming odds while the typical Hulk story ended with him getting mad and overpowering something.

Both groups of fans tend to complain when things go wrong. I think that some Thor fans might have more of a sense of "entitlement" than Hulk fans - they basically feel Thor should be the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe. Hulk fans absolutely see him as a powerhouse but care much more about strength than anything else and arent offended at the idea that Thor is generally a peer in terms of power. IN my experience however there are a substantial subset of Thor fans who get upset at the idea that Hulk might be in Thor's league.

hulk rarely gets beaten..... thor gets beaten alllll the time..... all versions.. ultimate thor beaten by collusus??? the last proper beating hulk had was by zeus..... i struggle to remember him being beaten in the last 10 years.....

look at the last hulk v thor in the last 10 years thor has been badly defeated each one..... on dvd etc...

thor in the last 10 yrs hasnt punched hulk once ... no hand to hand skills nothing.....

shakes head

#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fifthchild said:

I meant overall. Hulk had an epic 5 years because of the World War Hulk story, and alot of that match-ups that would have been his most impressive had plot devices and outright PIS involved to keep the Hulk from losing until the last issue. I think Hulk gets owned alot more. I think that unlike Thor, Hulk is used as a stepping stone, a character that gives some validity to where a character should be in terms of power. 

@Fifthchild said:

I'm a fan of both Thor & Hulk and I don't get it. I agree with you about the sense of entitlement but I think the thing is people always seem to point out Thor losing to characters are Marvel not liking the character or trying to tear him down when in reality most times he loses to characters that he should have and that's my problem with the complaining. They aren't simply saying that he's not written well, they are acting as if Marvel is purposely doing him a disservice and I don't believe that's true.
#44 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@80sBaby:

whenever thor has fought hulk with the avengers present its after the avengers failthen thor takes over..

see hulk 300, when thor engages hulk he stats... I have stood back...... etc

he actually won that fight....

Thor didnt defeat Hulk in Hulk 300. Another classic stalemate.

#45 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmartin said:

thor in the last 10 yrs hasnt punched hulk once ... no hand to hand skills nothing.....

Hulk and Thor are allies and haven't been in the same comics for the last 10 years..Banner hasn't even been the Hulk for all of the last 10 years. 

@cmartin said:

hulk rarely gets beaten..... thor gets beaten alllll the time..... all versions.. ultimate thor beaten by collusus??? 

This isn't true. Thor has a few loses in that period of time. Thor is an Avenger, he's done more than Hulk in that time and he hasn't been depowered.
#46 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

Why am i not supised... id bet anything marvel will have hulk stomp thor....

whats new a rivalry in which hulk wins everytime......

I can totally see why a Thor fan would be upset by this. From the perspective of rivalry though this doesnt actually change much. Thor was blindsided by someone on his own team. Stepping out of a totally opaque null-field no less. That doesnt really speak much to a proper fight between the two and in fact there hasnt really been one for a while. There was Fear Itself which Thor in fact won, though its not really a "proper: Thor/Hulk fight and, IMO at least, it hardly made Hulk look bad in terms of power. Before that i suppose there was the Agents of Atlas or Let The Battle Begin clashes but chronologically they are set in the past somewhere anyway.

If i had to guess i would say that the dynamic of the rivalry has changed (i doubt we would see the two lock up evenly in strength these days) but all in all they are still in the same league as one another.

#47 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

the rivalry ended after 2001..annual hulk v thor

after that huk has beat the crap out of thor... in comics the movies animation

no contest

marvel ruined a great rivalry

#48 Posted by Thundergoose84 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see it as a defeat, Hulk punched Thor and that is all we saw, whatever else happened is off screen. As far as I'm concerned they KO'd each other and until ANYTHING official is stated otherwise, that is my stance, enjoy disagreeing with that.

#49 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@Fifthchild:

there is beat and there is defeat , thor didnt lose that fight he wasn't knocked out or beaten, jusggernaut was beaten ... and looked to be on the last ropes until the force fieldcame back, , if im figing you and wailing on you and have you nearly out on your last leg then something interrupts the fight or breaks it up who won? what i am trying to say is new thor NEVER fights hand to had like that.... thor has roughed up hulk hand to hand to,

all current thor does is bash with the hammer and lightning there seems to be no other dimension to his fighting style....once the hammer is taken he seems to be lost.....and uttterly defeated....

I dont think Thor quite won but i see what you are saying. What i am saying is that Thor removing Juggernauts forcefield with Mjolnir and then fighting him hand to hand is not the same thing as Thor almost defeating the Juggernaut hand to hand. Juggernaut - forcefield does not equal Juggernaut and Thor has Mjolnir to thank for that.

#50 Posted by Fifthchild (596 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Fifthchild said:

I meant overall. Hulk had an epic 5 years because of the World War Hulk story, and alot of that match-ups that would have been his most impressive had plot devices and outright PIS involved to keep the Hulk from losing until the last issue.

I dont really "believe in" PIS that much and besides which its not really relevant to a discussion of which character has gotten owned the most. If you got owned, you got owned. Whether it should have happened or otherwise.

I think Hulk gets owned alot more. I think that unlike Thor, Hulk is used as a stepping stone, a character that gives some validity to where a character should be in terms of power.

I cant agree on this. I think people have this perception on a board like this because Thor gets talked up waaaaaaaay more than Hulk but that largely reflects the fact that this place is all about what people think "should happen". In the actual comics if anything Thor tends to struggle more but really theres not much in it.

@Fifthchild said:

I'm a fan of both Thor & Hulk and I don't get it. I agree with you about the sense of entitlement but I think the thing is people always seem to point out Thor losing to characters are Marvel not liking the character or trying to tear him down when in reality most times he loses to characters that he should have and that's my problem with the complaining. They aren't simply saying that he's not written well, they are acting as if Marvel is purposely doing him a disservice and I don't believe that's true.

I dont think Marvel have it in for Thor - that just doesnt make any sense. I do think that in the past decade or so the perception of most creators at Marvel regarding who Thor is and the perception held by many of his biggest fans of what he should be has diverged and thats caused a lot of unhappiness. And though there may be many super-duper characters that there is no shame in losing to that doesnt mean that seeing Thor get smacked around by someone really, really powerful every second issue is necessarily an enjoyable experience for a fan.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.