A Quick Rant On Fraction's Thor

Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm done with Fraction's run on Thor. While i enjoyed the galactus seed arc and especially love copiel's beautiful art, this book has the same problem i have with anything post jms. For some reason i just couldn't get into his portrayal of Thor something about it always seemed off to me and i still can't put my finger on just what it is. My guess is that i still want JMS back on the book but i have been reading some of Gillen's work after JMS left and I've enjoyed that so it has to be fraction.

Fear itself ending and hearing his recent plans for the title pushed me close to the edge but when i read the most recent issue of Thor i lost it. The whole thing felt rushed to me, this could have been a really heart wrenching three or four issue run that could have validated the whole story of fear itself but instead this issue left me with the same feeling as fear itself but only worse. I was willing to stick with the book since i figured fraction had an ace in the hole with this issue but now that i know that's no the case I'm done.

I'm not judging anyone for continuing to read this and I'm actually hoping that this series gets better for those who keep reading it, but here's the thing guys. When i read JMS' run on the character about the year ago it not only solidified my love for comics as my favorite medium and my desire to write them but it also turned Thor into one of my favorite marvel characters and it makes me sad to see where the character has gone since JMS left the book. It's biased I'll admit that and i have tried to overcome it too believe me but i can't continue reading a book that doesn't even have one of my favorite characters anymore so that is why i'm dropping this book

The only downside to this is that when i drop Thor I'm also going to drop journey into mystery since there is no sense keeping up with asgard for the time being. Gillen is a talented writer with some real talent, i hope he gets back onto Thor and makes things right after Fraction is done messing everything up.

#1 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar:

lol well said man. i really wish he hadn't done that. I was willing to give fear itself plenty of slack till he did that and very poorly at might i add.

#3 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Fraction has really messed up the character and he doesn't give a hoot about continuity. He made one of my best Marvel titles my worst. The Galactus seed arc was pointless. Just an excuse for a big brawl that made no sense and it had a really disappointing ending. Fear Itself was just crap -___- You should check these threads. My feelings and the feeling of others are expressed there.

http://www.comicvine.com/fear-itself/39-56288/what-the-hell-marvel/92-637865/

The Mighty Thor #7 (Staff review)
#4 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17:

Fraction destroys everything he touches. Seriously, I know so many people who've dropped Thor because of him.

#5 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85:

WIth what he's done to thor lately i can understand why. What's sad for me is that i didn't always feel this way about him. I loved his collaboration with brubaker on immortal iron fist and i have really enjoyed his iron man title (though it has dropped in quality the further it went into being a fear itself tie in) but while all that was going on i heard that he pissed off a lot of xfans with his run so maybe he only has a handle on a few very specific characters. idk i'm trying to be a critical on this as i can without getting blinded by straight rage if that makes any sense.

#6 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17:

Oh yeah, his run on Uncanny has gotten an overwhelmingly negative reaction from fans. What's really funny is that the people who hated his run the most are Emma Frost fans, even though he's a self-professed Emma fanboy. I didn't understand it at first, but when I compare his portrayal of Emma to Whedon's, Its crystal-clear to me why Emma fans hated the guy.

Marvel needs to stop pretending that he can write any character they put in front of him.

#7 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how I feel about Fraction's Thor. I want it to be good, but so far it's been just alright. I enjoyed the first few issues but it's nothing special. I haven't read JMS' run, and it might seem criminal, but I loved Kieron Gillen writing Thor. I'm also pretty damn close to dropping this book. Fraction should just focus on Invincible Iron Man and trying to get another Iron Fist solo book first.

#8 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@carnivalofsins00:

From what I've read on Gillen i liked his Thor and I've absolutely loved his journey into mystery series. too bad I'm going to drop that too cause of fraction's new direction on the thor title

#9 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17: Yeah, I love his Journey Into Mystery. But what does one have to do with the other? I don't think they tie into each other.

#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

@moviegeek17:

Fraction destroys everything he touches. Seriously, I know so many people who've dropped Thor because of him.

I hate his Iron Man

#11 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

@jrock85 said:

@moviegeek17:

I hate his Iron Man

If you don't mind me asking what is it in particular that you don't like about fraction's iron man? Personally i feel that the early parts of his iron man run and his colab run with brubaker are his best stuff. Either way though I won't forget what he did to thor..........

I really want jms back on that title

#12 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. Pretty much agree with the OP...Fraction epitomizes the "It's comics, anything goes!" attitude that Marvel has adopted.

Unfortunately, the majority of characters at Marvel were designed around Stan Lee's philosophy of adding suspension of disbelief.

Polar opposites. On a more personal level, I think Kurt Busiek, a major voice at Marvel from a creative stand point at Marvel, never liked the character of Thor anyway...but after the fallout from the JLA/Avengers crossover he engineered, I'd say his attitude toward the character Thor has gone decidedly south since then. Hey, he's human and can be just as vindictive as the anyone else. Not only that, the writer's and editors have adopted a real, "screw you", disdainful attitude toward the criticisms of the readers. Hey, it's a product we pay for. Might 'oughta pay it some mind.

Yeah, I'm done reading Thor, too. This is not what Stan Lee intended with the character at it's inception.

#13 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: I read some of his Iron Man during "Dark Reign" and I thought it was okay at best.

@Malevolent1 said:

Yeah. Pretty much agree with the OP...Fraction epitomizes the "It's comics, anything goes!" attitude that Marvel has adopted.

Unfortunately, the majority of characters at Marvel were designed around Stan Lee's philosophy of adding suspension of disbelief.

Polar opposites. On a more personal level, I think Kurt Busiek, a major voice at Marvel from a creative stand point at Marvel, never liked the character of Thor anyway...but after the fallout from the JLA/Avengers crossover he engineered, I'd say his attitude toward the character Thor has gone decidedly south since then. Hey, he's human and can be just as vindictive as the anyone else. Not only that, the writer's and editors have adopted a real, "screw you", disdainful attitude toward the criticisms of the readers. Hey, it's a product we pay for. Might 'oughta pay it some mind.

Yeah, I'm done reading Thor, too. This is not what Stan Lee intended with the character at it's inception.

We tell Marvel with our mouths that we're sick of the crap, but we tell them with our wallets that we want more of it. *sighs*

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

@daredevil21134: I read some of his Iron Man during "Dark Reign" and I thought it was okay at best.

@Malevolent1 said:

We tell Marvel with our mouths that we're sick of the crap, but we tell them with our wallets that we want more of it. *sighs*

True, that's why I dropped Iron Man

#15 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

@Malevolent1 said:

As thor would say, tis be the ways of thine mortal marvel fans

#16 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17: LOL

#17 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17: I share the same feeling and I am agree with everything you said, EVERYTHING...

#18 Posted by moviegeek17 (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool:

Well thanks man, i said it from the heart. I love marvel and their characters but they've really been wearing on me over these last 6 months or so. Kinda breaks my heart a bit.

#19 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP.

#20 Posted by star notes (243 posts) - - Show Bio

What Fraction did to Thor was unforgivable he should be crucified and burn.

#21 Posted by CapFanboy (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

@moviegeek17: Journey into Mystery is actually brilliant. I haven't liked the Thor series much lately, especially this whole "Who was Thor?" thing but Journey into Mystery is a great title.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

Fraction>JMS.
BB

#23 Posted by fps_dean (247 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree completely, and months later. Gillen did a great job finishing up JMS's run, and has done a great job with Journey Into Mystery as well.

I'm a huge Thor fan, but I may even drop Thor because of Fraction. The only reason I don't, is because often Journey Into Mystery ties into Thor and those have all been great reads -- even if not all of them contain must read content, they're just well written and enjoyable to read.

#24 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

I agree with the OP.

#25 Posted by ThePhoenX (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the Fraction's Thor Omnibus! LoL

Is Matt Fraction gonna keep on writing Thor for a long time?

#26 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePhoenX: Dear God I hope not. They should give it to Robert Rodi.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.