Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

2017 Thor Ragnarok without Jane Foster?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Asgaard

So there were early reports (rumors) that Thor was no longer with Jane in AAU...

"We also learn in the party scene that Jane is no longer with Thor! The poor Asgardian is at the bar watching Jane with Richard (Chris O' Dowd's character from Thor: The Dark World). Supposedly, he is ok with it. He's fine. Supposedly". Link

In his last Interview about AAU Chris Hemsworth said

"Q: Do we see him going to the movies with Natalie?

Hemsworth: Yeah, I pitched that! I did. But no". Link

And in Saturday Night Live Min (3.10)

Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) and clearly the most negative parts of Thor movies, It's finally possible that Marvel studios will get rid of them? No more pointless foolishness for Thor movies? Is this believable? Is Sif (Jaimie Alexander) able to carry a co protagonist role and Odinson's believable love interest? if true does this give Amora more chances to be in Thor 3?

Is this one of the conditions that Thor Ragnarok needs to be epic?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope this is true.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed both Thor movies. Jane is alright wouldn't mind seeing her go, wouldn't mind seeing her stay

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Asgaard

@immadnice said:

I've enjoyed both Thor movies. Jane is alright wouldn't mind seeing her go, wouldn't mind seeing her stay

Thor 2 was to much centered in Jane, and she wasn't able to carry the movie, her love for Thor ins't believable and vice versa, they have 0.0000% of chemistry, the way she gets the Aether was to convenient to make her go to Asgard, where she doesn't fit, if she din't exist the script had a lot more time to build more grounded foundations for the threat and the Villian himself, every time that the plot went to Midgard and the humans the movie was badly hurt with unnecessary humor to the story line, the last fight with Malekith speaks for itself...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Thor movies was great Jane served her purpose in that movie. Thor 2 was really good and Jane foster and Darcy and the intern had reason to be there, they had too much forced comedy and all the time the movie spent on those three was wasted time for something like the Thor and Sif plot line or time spent growing Malekiths character and motivations. So if Jane and Darcys are not in thor 3 then I say good.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asgaard

@z3ro180: What is your opinion on a love triangle between Thor, Sif and Amora?

Sif has being great in Thor movies, and her supporting role could go to another level with a personal foe like Amora the Enchantress, she actually would be a great rival for Sif if the plot follows their comics counterparts motivations, they could be "deadly" rivals and have believable fights, in live action it's very hard to believe that Jane it's Sif's rival...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: on that topic it could have worked if amora was interdicted in either thor 1 or 2 that way you could have had it in there and had it pay off in number 3 but since they didn't it would be to forced and unessasry if they had it in 3.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So Enchantress confirmed?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

On the one hand, I can't say I'm too sad if Jane and Darcy stayed out of Thor: Ragnorak since it would allow for a greater focus on Asgard, The Nine Realms and Ragnorak itself. On the other hand, a human touch might turn the film into being too unrelatable for audiences, especially those who recognise Portman and Dennings from their other roles. Still, the positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

@lvenger: Natalie Portman is a good actress but she didn't gave anything special to Jane, we also can blame the plot, but there was no chemistry with Chris Hemsworth, and in her filmography there are other examples where she fails to make love relations believable, her best performances were where she didn't have to build love relationships like Black Swan, i understand what you mean by human touch, but the Ragnarok concept speaks for itself, and i believe that general audiences are not expecting to have the human factor in the twilight of the Norse Gods and the end of all things, even if it will be a comic book movie, the basis of the script are known outside of the comic book world, i really don't see how Jane and Darcy can help the Ragnarok movie, they have no purpose to this story line... waste time with them it's repeat some of Thor 2 mistakes... I not saying that humans shouldn't be in the movie they should, (if doesn't die in AAU Erik Selvig could be the storyteller of what is the Ragnarok), and the events of the Ragnarok should be acknowledged by Midgard and the other realms, but in a proper Ragnarok movie the human characters actions shouldn't be decisive to the movie final outcome...

@cgoodness said:

So Enchantress confirmed?

No just speculation... But with the possibility of Jane being out of Thor 3, Amora or Valkyrie could fill her role as Thor love interest along with Sif... But like @z3ro180: said to this plot make some sense they would have to be introduced in Thor 1 or 2...

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as there is no Cat Dennings i am fine. Then again Chris had no chemistry with Natalie, so i am not shedding a tear. The whole romance part itself is unneeded... why force it, when you can do amazing stories without it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I would claim there was chemistry in the first Thor movie, albeit rushed chemistry but on the second film, your point becomes even more true. Portman's acting doesn't flourish when she has to incorporate romance into her role e.g the prequel Star Wars films. I also understand your point about Ragnarok but the Marvel films have had at least 1 human tether in them before, even Guardians had Chris Pratt's Star Lord for the human touch to balance the insane cosmic universe the film showed off. Not to mention that Ragnorak has an effect on Midgard and humans in both mythology and in comic books. Your idea for Eric Selvig as the narrator isn't a bad one and he could conceivably serve a role in the plot in a scientific/physicist role.

Unfortunately, there is also the eye candy factor to consider. I admit I find Natalie Portman very pleasing on the eye and I know CV users/friends who think Kat Dennings is quite good looking too. If nothing else, the higher ups might force the Ragnorak staff to keep the human women characters in because of that factor too.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Asgaard

@lvenger: valid points.... but believing that Thor and Jane are not together anymore in Avengers 2, and think that the Ragnarok movie has to build their relationship again gives me headaches and bad feelings for the movie, i sincerely want to believe that Marvel is not wasting time going back and forward with Thor and Jane relationship...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is true. Portman is a good actress I have no idea why she insists on being so bad in Thor movies. This movie shouldn't take place on earth at all. This is twilight of all the Norse gods, it is above mortals. I don't want to say that the earth scenes were the worst part if the Thor movies, but they did bring down the enjoyment level just a bit in Thor 2. It made great sense in the first film but there was no reason for it in the second. The Thor movies are at their best when not on earth. When we are seeing Kurse fight Thor or Thor fight frost giants and battling with the warriors three and things like that. Thor 2 spent more time away from earth but the climax of the movie was on earth and the scenes with Jane and the other humans pale in comparison to the Asgard or Svartalfheim scenes. Jane and Thor being broken up in avengers 2 is a nice way to end her involvement without taking up too much time. I want to see more of Thor and sif together. Ragnarok should be all about the gods and their relationships with each other, and there needs to be epic battles and deaths and an awesome ending with Thor putting an end to the cycle. It should be awesome, and I don't want to see that much of earth.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. Get rid of that buffoon Yost as screenwriter and get a serious scribe to inject some mature and epic mythological concepts into the film. Portman is a capable actress but her character was written as a pathetic damsel-in-distress. The Dark World was literally a giant two hour exercise in illogical and contrived moments and plot-devices, and the main reason was the filmmakers' incessant need to inject childish comedic relief in the form of Selvig, Darcy (her intern) and Foster. The worst may have been the completely ridiculous idea of having Foster and Selvig devise a science project to stop a sorcerer elf wielding one of the five most powerful weapons in existence.

Marvel REALLY has to give "Ragnarok" a proper, mature treatment like they did with the Cap sequel. Anything less and they may as well kill off the Asgardians for good and never touch the Thor franchise again.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@lvenger: valid points.... but believing that Thor and Jane are not together anymore in Avengers 2, and think that the Ragnarok movie has to build their relationship again gives me headaches and bad feelings for the movie, i sincerely want to believe that Marvel is not wasting time going back and forward with Thor and Jane relationship...

That's only a Latino Review rumour thus far, no confirmation on that yet. Still, the concept of Ragnorak does limit the involvement on Midgard so maybe you're onto something.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: for eye candy all they really need is a shirtless thor for a good 10 minutes and BOOM an influx of fan girls. The only downside to that is Stallone is going to have to clean up all the druel from the floor.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Asgaard

@lvenger said:

@asgaard said:

That's only a Latino Review rumour thus far, no confirmation on that yet. Still, the concept of Ragnorak does limit the involvement on Midgard so maybe you're onto something.

Very true, and we know that Latino review hit and miss, but that report was made in Jun.10.14, even before comic con, and miles way from the first trailers of Avengers 2, and that descriptions fit the trailers that we saw, but what really made me think that Jane could be out of Thor the next movie was Chris Hemsworth Saturday night Avengers skit, in my perspective he had no reason to say that Jane was his Ex, if wasn't true ... Besides that skit has Marvel Studios approval, Chris Hemsworth presence in Saturday night live was to promote the movie and i don't think Marvel wants to confuse the audiences with "facts" that aren't real... Like always we will have to wait and see if it's true...

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By arthurkerr

not a Jane fan at all was hoping for more Sif so I would not miss Jane.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: for eye candy all they really need is a shirtless thor for a good 10 minutes and BOOM an influx of fan girls. The only downside to that is Stallone is going to have to clean up all the druel from the floor.

That only covers female eye candy, you know us men don't mind good looking actresses in films either ;)

@asgaard said:
    @lvenger said:
    @asgaard said:

Very true, and we know that Latino review hit and miss, but that report was made in Jun.10.14, even before comic con, and miles way from the first trailers of Avengers 2, and that descriptions fit the trailers that we saw, but what really made me think that Jane could be out of Thor the next movie was Chris Hemsworth Saturday night Avengers skit, in my perspective he had no reason to say that Jane was his Ex, if wasn't true ... Besides that skit has Marvel Studios approval, Chris Hemsworth presence in Saturday night live was to promote the movie and i don't think Marvel wants to confuse the audiences with "facts" that aren't real... Like always we will have to wait and see if it's true...

I don't get why people think Latino Review is always onto something. They crow about their rumours supposedly coming true, most recently the Sony-Marvel Spider-Man merger into the MCU. But that's just very fortunate luck. Besides, just because it seems to fit the AOU trailers released thus far doesn't necessarily make it so. We need better proof than that in my book. As for the skit, it doesn't really matter that it had Marvel's approval or that Hemsworth had no reason to mention Jane being his ex. It's more than likely that the show's writers put that in for parody/humourous purposes which fit the depiction of Thor being an arrogant show off reveling in his victory over Ultron. There's no sense in believing a gossip site and a parody sketch as containing any sort of proof that Thor won't be with Jane. Like we've already agreed on though at the end, we need to wait and see what is actually in Age of Ultron first.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jane got mad her BFF fail director of a friend got fired because the woman couldn't get a script in on time for Thor 2. So she got mad. She was FORCE to do Thor 2 by marvel. She already wanted out. That was why she mailed in her role in Thor 2. Uppity actress is uppity actress.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why they are pulling Ragnarok so fast in the Thor movies his horrible I for one am almost wishing on a reboot.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

people really took this bid seriously? We all know ultron will lose this one but come on...

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hope they don't just ignore the jane relationship without out any closure even if we dislike her.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

"closure" you say...

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need no closure for the death of Jane , thus the saying plain oh jane...

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things would look silly without some kind of closure for the character. Without it we'll be asking "What the heck happened to Jane?"

It would leave to many plot holes.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bad thing about false roomers is that when you get to the movies. They seem to let down the person going.

I read a false rumor that had Sif and Thor getting together in 2 and the movie was a real let down.

Then to make it worse it was just a over the top fest of a character that he hardly knew and yet he looked like a love sick puppy.

So a character he had known and shed blood with took a back seat to a character that was in his life for just moments on the scale of his life hardly even present.

So no I have no care for Jane she is a flash in the pan to Thor.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Asgaard

@thorson said:

Things would look silly without some kind of closure for the character. Without it we'll be asking "What the heck happened to Jane?"

Betty Ross (Liv Tyler), just disappear from the MCU, you can make the argument that Hulk didn't have no more solo movies, but the Avengers movies could address what happened to Betty, but marvel choose to ignore her and Bruce new love interest is Natasha... I can see a very small plot in Avengers 2 to marvel get rid of Natalie Portman, and certainly who saw Thor 1 and 2 will see the Avengers 2 and then the Ragnarok.

Plot holes? how ? There is no cliffhanger with Jane Foster (that's Loki), last time i saw her character she had no future motivations besides being Thor girlfriend, Ragnarok really doesn't need her, If the Avengers 2 plot acknowledges that Thor and Jane are not together anymore with a proper justification, i don't see how that can create plot holes in the Ragnarok movie, that will be centered in the Asgardians...

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@thorson said:

Betty Ross (Liv Tyler), just disappear from the MCU, you can make the argument that Hulk didn't have no more solo movies, but the Avengers movies could address what happened to Betty, but marvel choose to ignore her and Bruce new love interest is Natasha... I can see a very small plot in Avengers 2 to marvel get rid of Natalie Portman, and certainly who saw Thor 1 and 2 will see the Avengers 2 and then the Ragnarok.

Plot holes? how ? There is no cliffhanger with Jane Foster (that's Loki), last time i saw her character she had no future motivations besides being Thor girlfriend, Ragnarok really doesn't need her, If the Avengers 2 plot acknowledges that Thor and Jane are not together anymore with a proper justification, i don't see how that can create plot holes in the Ragnarok movie, that will be centered in the Asgardians...

Well there was no need to mention Betty in the avengers movie since Banner had been hiding for a long time. Just like you said Hulk has not had a solo movie for a long time, if they did Betty most likely would have been mentioned and or seen.

Maybe not a cliffhanger but in Thor 2 left off with THOR returning to Jane. THOR hypothetically has been spending all this time with her which is why he left Asgard to be on Midgard. For THOR to just randomly show up with Steve Rogers and Tony Stark without some kind of motive will seem a bit rushed and sloppy without some kind of mention of THOR with Jane.

If Ragnarok doesn't need her, having her die or something in Avengers 2 would be the way to go so we can move on.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why show her at all , characters die off screen all the time.

Just have them say something. I am sorry for your loss of Jane.

He would then say.

"she died a warriors death" tripped over a tuna fish sandwich and fell off a cliff or something.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would then say.

"she died a warriors death" tripped over a tuna fish sandwich and fell off a cliff or something.

LOL!!!!!

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would then say.

that would be lazy.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By antithetical

splitting up Thor and Jane doesn't need a lot of screen time or any big build up, could easily be done in the upcoming Avengers movie in less than a minute and then no need to have her back for Ragnarok, easy as pie. ;)

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor: "Jane we've had some fun, but your constant nagging and longing for me has gotten annoying and nearly led to the destruction of my home. I was the idiot who brought you to Asgard and then led you to the very sorcerer who could remove a universally powerful weapon from your body, which then nearly led to darkness enveloping the Nine Realms. You've also forsaken a rather promising career as an astrophysicist that has proven her theory of other dimensions existing. This just isn't working. Besides, while you'll live maybe another six decades while I'll probably live forever. It's been real, sweetheart."

Problem solved.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor: "Jane we've had some fun, but your constant nagging and longing for me has gotten annoying and nearly led to the destruction of my home. I was the idiot who brought you to Asgard and then led you to the very sorcerer who could remove a universally powerful weapon from your body, which then nearly led to darkness enveloping the Nine Realms. You've also forsaken a rather promising career as an astrophysicist that has proven her theory of other dimensions existing. This just isn't working. Besides, while you'll live maybe another six decades while I'll probably live forever. It's been real, sweetheart."

Problem solved.

two thumbs up!

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would then say.

lolol ffunny bro

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Thank Odin if this is true.

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps Thor simply dumps Jane and basically all of Earth during Age of Ultron because he's fed up between all the petty infighting amongst his teammates and the governments of Earth. He also is alerted by Heimdall of Loki's shenanigans on Asgard and basically tells the Avengers it's been fun but shit has gotten serious back home. Then after Ragnarok (assuming some of them survive) Thor returns to join everyone in the fight against Thanos in Infinity War Part II.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I have no problem with Jane and I feel she's a good straight-woman character (I'd rather see Pepper killed off) but since she has so many haters maybe it's for the best.

No Darcy would definitely be welcome, she was fine in the first movie but horribly obnoxious in the second as if 2 Broke Girls has some kind of likeability-sucking disease going around the set. Gods I hate that show.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

@arthurkerr said:

He would then say.

that would be lazy.

but supremely hilarious... and you know how Marvel likes the funny in their movies.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Guess you were right we really can't trust Latino Review or anything else that i posted in this topic, i didn't saw Avengers 2 yet, but already was told that Jane still is with Thor, my hype for the Ragnarok is hurt...

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seen the movie yesterday, Thor specifically says that Jane became the world's most famous astronomer and has no idea where she's at atm, but he and Tony kinda went over the "my girlfriend's cooler than yours" gig so I believe that Thor is still with Jane

Also, is anyone else bothered by the lowballing of Thor throughout the MCU? :/

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seen the movie yesterday, Thor specifically says that Jane became the world's most famous astronomer and has no idea where she's at atm, but he and Tony kinda went over the "my girlfriend's cooler than yours" gig so I believe that Thor is still with Jane

Also, is anyone else bothered by the lowballing of Thor throughout the MCU? :/

Ah, yeah, once you've had a chance to read through some of the topics you'll see that is a bit of a sore spot with quite a few people, he definitely gets downgraded in the movies, not to mention too much time spent pushing the the tepid "romance" between him and Jane.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: I'm glad that I'm not the only one bothered by this

There's this one scene in Age of Ultron which makes it seem as if Marvel are finally going to redeem themselves and let Thor go all out and all epic but it ends up being another silly joke :|

And I think that Thor should've also been given some screen time fighting Hulk rather than the Hulkbuster armor vs Hulk fight we got (which was great, but still)

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetrolldance: That's a bit disappointing, and I keep reading Thor doesn't get all that much screen time compared to the other characters. Still looking forward to seeing the movie though, I'm in the States so another week to go, and I may wait a few days after it opens just to avoid the weekend crowds. I'm hoping AoU isn't foreshadowing what we'll see in the Ragnarok film two years from now. As for Thor v Hulk maybe Whedon felt he covered that in the last Avengers movie and it would come off a bit stale repeating that match-up? Though the Thor/Hulk fight in the first Avengers was more like a sparing match compared to what I've seen of the Hulk/Hulkbuster IM fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.