Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

2017 Thor Ragnarok should be focused on?

• 48 results
    Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll 2017 Thor Ragnarok should be focused on? (39 votes)

Comics and possibly Walter Simonson Surtur Saga. 38%
    Norse Mythology and the End of All Things. 21%
    Mcu tie ins with Thanos as the Antagonist behind the scenes. 8%
    A combination of the previous options. 31%
    Other elements that weren't mentioned in any of the previous options. 3%
     • 
    MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

we need amora first before mangog, ymir, surtur etc

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Winter_Kills

@winter_kills said:

@antithetical:

I'm not holding my breath either...

I hope that they don't take the "magic is advanced science" route or "magic & science is really the same thing" bullcrap in Dr. Strange, it would be a huge injustice to the character- magic is the core of his character, of Stephen Strange's journey from materialistic man of science to spiritual sorcerer supreme. His movie should be the movie that introduces the concept of magic/mysticism to the MU, the same way that GOTG introduced the cosmic side of the MU, & the street-level side is now being explored by Daredevil. Whether Marvel likes it or not, magic or the supernatural is an established part of their universe as much as super-science, cosmic & urban vigilantism. If you can have Celestials & cosmic objects like the Infinity Stones, then why should the concept of magic or the supernatural be so outlandish? As you so masterfully stated, Marvel had the fantastic opportunity to carve out that niche of magic & mythology with Thor- twice- and screwed it up both times by saying

No Caption Provided

I hope beyond hope that they won't let the same opportunity to open up an entire unexplored section of the MCU pass them by AGAIN in Dr. Strange- a section of the universe from which so many characters could not only benefit but be introduced(their great wealth of magical & supernatural characters, plus the concept of magic available for Asgard, esp. Loki, Odin & Amora; even Black Panther & Iron Fist are infused with a twinge of mysticism). Hoping, but not crossing my fingers because they might break in two.

Because that break might end up being caused by the warping of space-time due to a gravitational anomaly manifesting in the general vicinity of your middle and index fingers. :P But yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said, especially being a long time Dr. Strange fan as well as Thor. "Huge injustice" is putting it lightly imo, by actually accepting the concept of magic and mysticism they have the opportunity to open up a whole new world of storytelling within the MCU. While I definitely support the promotion of science over voodoo and hokum in the real world what were talking about is a fictional universe which is all the richer for including concepts of the occult.

No Caption Provided

I'm a big fan of Doc too, as I mentioned I loved the Defenders, part of that was Doc's presence. (Though I followed when he was absent because of Val & Nighthawk.Yes, Nighthawk, as a kid I liked the guy for some reason lol) Lee & Ditko's Dr. Strange was fantastic(definitive Doc, peopletalk a lot about Ditko's Spidey, but IMO his work on Dr. Strange was his best work), as was the Englehart/Brunner run, collected in "A Separate Reality"(an awesome run that should be measured alongside Starlin's cosmic works)- awesome, mind-bending mystic & cosmic stuff. Yeah, "Huge Injustice" would be putting it lightly- it would be more an injustice on a cosmic level!! Like you said, this is a fictional universe where anything could happen- with even the occult & the supernatural as possibilities- and as it makes the MU richer, so it would the MCU. If they go this route with Dr. Strange, it will be a flop in my eyes, as they are ignoring & downplaying the elements that are so intrinsic to the character. Doc without magic would be like Iron Man without science, plain and simple. It's at the heart & soul of the character. With Dr. Strange they have the opportunity to open doors that have never been opened in the MCU- not just magic, but introduce those other mystical dimensions like the Dark Dimension & the Astral Plane with those awesome Ditko-desgined, Dali-esque landscapes, & open the door for incredible mystical beings like the Dread One himself, Dormammu, the Mindless Ones, Nightmare & Lovecraftian entities like Shuma-Gorath. It would add dimensions, literally & cinematically, through the MCU, bringing in a Sorcerer Supreme that daily traverses fantastic dimensions few beings could comprehend & faces entities & forces of unimaginable power & evil, & constantly defends our reality from those self-same forces on a level both physical & metaphysical. They have the opportunity(once again) to take the MCU to greater levels & create a whole new cinematic experience...if they blow it(again) they're crazy.

I'm also a Dr. Strange fan and while I love the Cumberbatch casting, I'm afraid they're going to go with that "Magic is really cool science!" route and turn Strange into Iron Man-lite.

I would love to see an animated picture with a Thor/Dr. Strange team-up where Dormammu and the Enchantress join forces. That would be trippy and fun to see.

Man I really hope they don't, but if what they've done with Thor & the "it's super-science!!!" explanation is any indication, they will. I hope they prove me wrong, I love being proven wrong in such circumstances.

Oh man I'd love to see that scenario too! Doc has actually faced Loki & Amora on more than one occasion. I'd also like to see something like the Avengers/Defenders War, where Loki makes an alliance with Dormammu...be a great way to get Doc involved with the Avengers if done correctly, with magic & not the magic-is-really-super-science dealy-o.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By arthurkerr

hope to never see RKT in the movies and hope it vanishes from the comics as well. Go away like Mastro in the Hulk books.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: I wouldn't worry about RKT returning to the comics (other than maybe a cameo appearance in the Thors SW tie in) and really don't see that working in the movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.