k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

The Last Days of Midgardhas attempted to test the God of Thunder in an all-new way, but this conclusion goes back to the basics. And what are the basics for Thor, you ask? Using his hammer to break the face of anyone who dares to harm Midgard, of course! While much of the epic action has been reserved for the future scenes in this story, this finale (not taking into account the upcoming aftermath issue) unleashes a ton of phenomenal action in the present. Thor's been pushed around and writer Jason Aaron has done a great job turning The Minotaur into such a despicable character. Well, he finally delivers a moment between the vile character and the Son of Odin that'll make you want to cheer. It's terrific to see Thor let loose again -- he's certainly earned the right to go a little wild. It's also fantastic to see Roz Solomon step up! We now have a fine understanding of her personality, so it's cool to see her put into this dangerous situation. Not only does she thrive, but she has a legitimately awesome moment or two! I wonder if a bit of her dialogue was a slight nod to The Lord of the Rings.

Somehow, Aaron is able to keep up the epciness and once again delivers a stunning course of events in the future. Atli's absolutely hilarious and even though her lines will make you laugh out loud, her remarks never take away from the grand tone. Honestly, "grand" isn't even doing the future scenes justice. This clash of titans is something that'll drop your jaw (which is something this book does frequently) and ends on an especially strong note.

Artist Esad Ribic and colorist Ive Svorcina continue to amaze. Aaron's script is consistently large in scope and these two constantly deliver on all of the spectacle. The future scenes feel larger than life and you can fully appreciate all of the enormous hits. The shading and emphasis on darker tones also help immerse us in this bleak future. These two really do go above and beyond to make everything feel magnificent. There's a series of panels (Thor's first punch) that's pure comedy gold. We've been waiting for that to happen and man, the way it's handled is great! And then there's Agustin Alessio's phenomenal cover. It does a thoroughly cool job merging the two stories.

The Bad

I'm left with a few questions, but it looks like they'll be addressed in the next issue. So, no major gripes here!

The Verdict

This chapter is loaded with explosive action and it's an issue that's both spectacular and cheerworthy. You can really tell this is a passion project for the creative team and the quality remains stellar. Aaron's cast is full of amusing banter, the action is magnificent, and the contrast between the two tales is excellent. I won't spoil the ending, but it once again provides a great contrast between the two eras. Aaron's work with this book is seriously impressive, and, luckily for us, he has a talented art team bringing it all to life. Ribic and Svorcina do a tremendous job making sure the visuals live up to everything the script has to offer and then some. Simply put, The Last Days of Midgard is an amazing ride and I just can't recommend it enough to every Marvel fan.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This issue was perfect

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this issue was just so awesome. From Flaming Thor to Necro Thor, one fist pumping scene after the other. This will easily be one of my favorite issues of the month, and possibly of the year. And I really hope to see more of the Granddaughters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite issue in this amazing series. Great showing of character for current thor and an awesome fight with Minotaur, and the NecroThor did possibly one of the very most badass things possible to do in comics. I don't think Galactus will be getting up from that one.

cr4zytr4in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By cr4zytr4in

5/5 Amazing story & epic battle complimented by stunning art! Plus you actually get 2 stories in one book! Definitely at the top of the pile for me this week. Can't recommend this enough.

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Noteworthington

Yeah we can call him Thor the Destroyer now, as that is his title, and do away with this whole "Necro" thing.

Well, I hope we can!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I loved how they blended the stories together and made the two fights seem like an extension of each other.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprise at what happened to Galactus. Force of nature? BULLSH*T!!!

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor admits he hold's back against Hulk even with his fists. Those who didn't accept this, now swallow.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This story arc was beyond EPIC

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Armaghetto

I haven't missed an issue of this yet!! Constantly delivering the goods and pretty much the only Marvel title I read. Doesn't deal with time travel, misplaced time travellers, mutant time travellers, Avengers time travelling or Norman Osborn. AGAIN.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By tensor

I have to say this comic was series one of the worst I have ever seen.Too many flaws.Galactus after he had eaten was getting beat by Thor Granddaughters ,they destroyed his face and Thor put the finishing touches on him.Good feat for Thor but just Horrible for Galactus.Lots of Galactus fans cannot say he was starving when he got beat the hell up.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not when you consider the weapon's wielded by two of the granddaughters

Stormbreaker & the Celestial killing axe

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lantian1: Stormbreaker did more damage than the Axe but that is not the point his actions were just poor.I can understanding him getting a beaten when he is hungry.The fact is he did not even heal.

His face was damage like some tin robot.I doubt they needed Thor to put the finishing touches on him he was already beaten.Like I said very good feat for Thor a Horrible one Galactus.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: No, he doesn't hold back against suppose immortals. He in previous issues including this one was/is killing Trolls. For example he doesn't hold back against Frost giants and they're a lot weaker the The Hulk.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Because the foe can die especially if he has the hammer. For example if he fought like he was fighting against Gorr we could say goodbye to the planet.

odinblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By odinblast

10/10 for this whole run. Awesome

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@themadsurfer said:

Thor admits he hold's back against Hulk even with his fists. Those who didn't accept this, now swallow.

You should re-read the issue, Thor cuts loose once he finds out that Minotaur is comparable to the Hulk. So, now you can proceed to swallow ;P

Exactly. It's a statement when battling the Trolls & the Minotaur, like when he's battling the Hulk, he doesn't need to pull his punches. Meaning that when Hulk & Thor go head-to-head, Thor isn't pulling his punches nor holding back. After all, Hulk is one of the few beings on Earth who is Thor's equal in power, and quite possibly the only one who is his physical superior.

Quite a testament to the Hulk's might in that Thor doesn't pull his punches nor hold back when engaging the Green Goliath.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Not even going to discuss the part where Thor can't kill the Hulk. So why did Thor said: "I can finally do that" . Like if he holds back against this guys, we all know he doesn't he just kill them. In this part he demonstrate what would he do if he considered The Hulk a monster. The foe doesn't need to be Hulk's level strength for Thor to stop holding back for example the frost giants.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themadsurfer said:

@theacidskull: No, he doesn't hold back against suppose immortals. He in previous issues including this one was/is killing Trolls. For example he doesn't hold back against Frost giants and they're a lot weaker the The Hulk.

So why would he hold back against a stronger foe if he can incapacitate him with his said strength?

Because Bruce Banner is his friend.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

@theacidskull said:

@themadsurfer said:

So why would he hold back against a stronger foe if he can incapacitate him with his said strength?

Because Bruce Banner is his friend.

At this point Thor should know that he can't kill the Hulk with his strength, nor can he overpower him. I'm sure KOing him wouldn't be a problem, if thor could actually do it with his strength alone.

But that has nothing to do with this particular case. Thor said that Agger is comparable to the hulk, so he cuts loose, what does that tell you? that Thor actually holds back or cuts loose against Hulk? it shows that the correct answer is the ladder, at least from Aarons perspective.

No no no, I didn't mean he holds back against Hulk because of his fight against Minotaur, actually I meant nothing lol. I only said he holds back against Banner cause he's his friend. Thor probably can't kill Hulk with his bare hands, maybe if he gets lucky :P

You're right, it's more likely he meant that Thor cuts loose against Hulk.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always knew Galactus wasn't as powerful as he is often thought to be.

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
    Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus is thrown under the bus again in favor of making the other characters look good.......ugh.

Faymousinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F*ck Star Wars!

Thor ftw.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.