k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Jason Aaron finally delivers on the King Thor and Old Galactus fight and, man, it was worth the wait and then some! It's a glorious encounter and the banter is every bit as cheer-worthy as the monumental strikes. Thor's insults kept me smirking and the sheer display of power that is unleashed as these two clash is jaw-dropping and completely spectacular. There's one attack that is absolutely staggering and it doesn't even end there. Honestly, it's likely to be the best fight you'll read in any comic this week.

While the future timeline presents a gripping battle between two massively powerful characters, the present timeline offers a completely different challenge for the God of Thunder to tackle. In the future, he can try to solve his problem with his might, but the same will only hinder him in the present. What happens is all kinds of ridiculous but in the best way possible. The way the Son of Odin's raw power is countered is hilarious and the expression on Thor's face as it happens is truly priceless. It's the perfect contrast to the future's conflict which consists purely of punches and energy blasts. Additionally, it's further evidence that Aaron can strike the perfect tone with this book. The scale is grand and the stakes are high, yet there's always so much charm and levity. It's never enough to take away from the more serious matters the book establishes, either.

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER's visuals are a real treat for your eyes. Artist Esad Ribic and colorist Ive Svorcina do a superb job handling Aaron's exceptional script. You can feel the weight and pure force behind the hits and energy blasts in the cosmic brawl and you can properly experience just how poor conditions have become after Roxxon moves into a certain town. Visually, the book really shines in the future as the showdown is brought to life in an astonishingly grand manner. That said, the current timeline certainly impresses at times when more exaggerated reactions are brought out of characters. All in all, both the artwork and the script are worthy of the God of Thunder.

The Bad

My only small complaint about this issue is a few of the panels feel a little rushed, especially compared to Ribic's other work on this series. Despite that, this book still looks fantastic.

The Verdict

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER is a phenomenal series and without question one of the best books currently available. The sheer amount of entertainment value Aaron and Ribic pack into this issue is absolutely ridiculous. The battle between King Thor and Old Galactus is tremendous, and the "battle" Thor faces in the modern era is a hilarious contrast yet still manages to feel completely epic. Throw in a solid cliffhanger and we have yet another issue that simply begs to be purchased. Be good to yourself and read this book. Seriously, it's that amazing.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Black_Arrow

This was Amazing. I think it was my favorite book this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really buy into what happened with Thor and agger. I understand why some people liked it and enjoyed how original and creative it was but I just would've liked their interaction to go a different way. That's all though, this issue was great and the fight with Galactus was really cool

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By manwithoutshame

Another great issue from Aaron and Ribic.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

lol Thor gets sued.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I love the future story going on with Galactus.

I'm not loving the current day story as much as it is a pretty heavy handed corporations are evil story.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HaveAtThee

Best issue of the year. Beautiful balance between high-octane action and plot maneuvering. LOVED the cliffhanger.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

"BANG, ZOOM! Straight to the moon!" - Galactus

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all things, Thor gets beaten by a restraining order. Weird.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cuboid

Great issue, but am I the only one who found some of King Thor's dialogue, especially at the start of the issue (before going back to the present-day storyline) kind of uncharacteristic of how he's been in this series so far? (or perhaps I'm not remembering him correctly) That's my minor gripe - overall a fantastic issue.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The issue was good but I expecter a little more from the issue and the story arc as a whole.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good issue, but if I were thor, I wouldn't give to sh*ts about restraining orders :P

Perhaps finally Thor will realize that Asgard hovering over rural Oklahoma sucks and he'll tell the All-Mothers (or if Odin returns) to place it back in Asgardian space.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:Why would a god care about the american court system haha. That didn't make any sense to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. Thor doesn't have to listen to human laws. Just because Roz wants to do it a certain way shouldn't mean anything to the god of thunder

LouisVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Been thinking the same. Also, why wouldn't Thor know about that beforehand? He was with the avengers, whether or not he has a phone or communication device is irrelevant, Tony would just tell him ffs. Or the All Mother's, I find it very odd that Asgardia seems completely oblivious to the thing. Finally, the argument for suing him is ridiculous. "Only could have been results of Thor's weather manipulation powers"? At least Storm and Zeus (did the olympians return to their dimension or was that plot from the Hercules series was just forgot and they are considered to not be on earth just because yes) could have done the same. Not to mention Hydra or any other crazy scientist in the MU who has been keen into weather manipulation machines. Makes him a suspect? Yes. But so is all the other ones, and nature. It is completely ridiculous as "evidence" and much less as proof to justify an actual judicial order (specially against an Avenger, unless they lost again their official sanctions and benefits, which I am not really following any more). For suing it would be "okay" (but not a serious treat because the argument is so loose it would lose). And Thor's "new GF" should be aware of that (or already would have been in touch with people who are).

If Zeus is still on Earth I say the lawyers should just do the same manipulation to pin it on him, who would "defend" himself by merely wishing Roxxon out of existence (not without extreme pain) and no one would be able to do shit to him. Yep, story over, next one...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.