theacidskull's Thor: God of Thunder #7 - Godbomb: Part One of Five - Where Gods Go to Die review

Guess one Drink Wouldn't hurt....

Okaaaaaay.....i can't believe Jason aaron wrote this, the same guy who has been making Wolverine and the X-men, which is dead By the way, and incredible Hulk, which is beyond terrible( worse than Bruce Jones). But this? i did not expect this, in fact, i had been sure that the book would have lost steam by now, thats how this usually works, but wow, just wow. I know most people will argue, but I am being 100% COMPLETELY NONE-BIAS here, this was honestly amazing.

First things first, The art and coloring of the book was simply outstanding, Each thor varies from one another in a unique interesting way, the muscles are expertly drawn and the coloring and style is extremely gritty, which fist the title perfectly.

Jason aaron has been building up to this point for 6 issues, and just when i though that the book was about to loose steam, BAM! he makes this. Some time ago, Jason brought in a crazy weird looking character, and i personally though he was useless, but it turns out that he had one of the biggest roles in the arc, seriously the build up to it is very well executed, and the panel where the creature utters " ...god of bombs" in tears really portrays a heavy sequence for me.

The interaction for the two thors is interesting as well, in fact, jason aaron makes a very interesting difference between the three. The youngest thor is very arrogant, he is all about sex and drinking, but even so you can feel that his experience has left a huge mark on Young thor, which puts a huge highlight on the Butchers importance. The Current Thor is brave, young, and wise all-together, but still you can see his childish side in him, like when he decides to grab a drink even though the world of gods is dying. But The Old thor, the sky-father, is much more wise and tormented, but even so, his asgardian side still comes alive when he is visited by thor.

This was an amazing issue, but there were for course a few problems i had with it. at one Moment young thor is with a woman, and the the next second he is fighting naked in the woods, so the transition kinda fell flat a bit. and also when Old Thor spoils some events that are to take place in thors life seemed a but careless, since they HAVE to take place because his future self had mentioned this. But besides that, this was awesome, and i;d recommend it to both none-thor fans and thor fans.

Recommendation: YES!

Posted by Deranged Midget

This is a fantastic issue, I loved the banter between the elder and present Thor. Easily one of the best Marvel NOW titles out right now!

Great review!

Moderator
Posted by PhoenixoftheTides

Thanks for the review, I've been enjoying Thor, which is amazing to me because "Wolverine and the X-Men" has been boring to me since the first issue and I have been more invested in the X-Men versus Thor, Asgard or the Avengers. Even the "Journeys into Mystery" story with Sif was fun! I'll pick this up.

Edited by DonFelipe

I'm not a Thor fan at all but picked up all the #1s of Marvel NOW! (as well as New 52) out of curiosity. Surprisingly, Thor: God of Thunder is one of the titles that is still on my pull list. Issue #6 is simply amazing. Kudos to Jason Aaron for how he's telling this story. The way he's jumping between different periods of times works perfectly, especially in this issue and I love the wording.

The talk between present and future Thor is "one for the ages".

I don't think Old Thor is spoiling anything, besides he does say "Oh. Then forget I said anything" which is hilarious and it gets even better in the next panel... "I've always hated time travel" ... "And you always will."

Last not least, check out the panel where Thor starts making love to the shieldmaiden again. I think you missed something that explains why Thor happens to be butt-naked in the woods later.

I recommend your recommendation.

5/5 stars. "For the glory of Asgard."

Edited by TheAcidSkull

I recommend your recommendation.

"For the glory of Asgard."

Thanks man! really appreciate it! :)

Also, i didn't miss the panel with Thor and the shieldmaiden :), i just though the transition was a bit off, thor having sex and then suddenly he is out in the cold, but maybe jason will show us this in the next issue.

and the Panel with old thor spoiling things , i just felt that it took us away from the serious tone of the book :P

Thanks again man ^___^

Posted by DonFelipe

@donfelipe said:

I recommend your recommendation.

"For the glory of Asgard."

Thanks man! really appreciate it! :)

Thanks again man ^___^

One of Gorr's Black Berserkers is watching them from the beams. I think it's safe to say it's the same Berserker in the following scene smashing Thor through the brick wall of the house before landing in the cold outside. It's not really important to know how the shieldmaiden ended up.

What is a little bit off is the bed scene at the beginning. There seem to be at least 2 women if not 3 unless one woman has a very twisted leg. I could even live with 2 women (yes I could) but the extra foot does look quite awkward. I can't make sense of the extra women.

Edited by TheAcidSkull

@donfelipe: Just a bit of off with me thats all :)

a third leg! i did not notice that XD

Posted by Lvenger

For all the foreboding Gor and the main plot brought, I loved the banter between present Thor and old Thor. Aaron really balanced the light and shade of this issue. Awesome review mate, you really nail the analysis of each version of Thor!

Posted by TheAcidSkull

Thanks man! :D

Also one of the best thing about the issue is that The Old Thor still feels like thor! sure he's more wise and stuff , but he is still thor.

Posted by Lvenger

Thanks man! :D

Exactly. Each Thor is different but has some essence of their character shared across the 3 versions. I'm glad Aaron has said he'll do more with the 3 Thors in the future.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@theacidskull said:

INDEED! :D

Other reviews for Thor: God of Thunder #7 - Godbomb: Part One of Five - Where Gods Go to Die

All Thors Hate Time Travel 0

Esad Ribic continues to basically draw with the tools of a god. Thor: God of Thunder is one of the most beautiful comic books I've ever read, and one that can still manage an amazing sense of dynamism. The specific touches to the style just make it an absolute perfect fit for the series, especially when it shows off such beyond-grand architecture.Jason Aaron has struck a perfect balance in dialogue in all aspects. One of the most impressive feats is the way he's balanced each of the three Thors...

Thor-sty For More 0

We pick up right where we left Thor and Thor, with all the excitement and interest that goes with it. Honestly, this is purely an issue to set up greater things to come, but that doesn't mean it's bad; we get a lot to look forward to, some great character developments for both Thors and some of the minor characters to boot, and the ending is a particularly juicy cliffhanger. This is certainly not an issue to be missing out on, as this will be certainly a great ride....