Thor: God of Thunder #2

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By No_Name_

Marvel gives us an early look at the second issue of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER.

The Good

It's always nice to get an early look at a comic before it's official release date, but it's even better when that comic happens to be really, really good. In the first issue of this series we were introduced to three versions of Thor: Thor as a younger man, Thor in his prime and lastly an ancient version of the character that is the last of a dying breed of Gods. I think one of the things that really struck me about this issue and the first issue is the writer's ability to tell three very organized ongoing stories at once, but in a way that is not at all confusing. Aaron opens the second issue with a look at a younger, less experienced Thor who has neither the knowledge nor the wisdom of the latter two versions of himself. We get to see who Thor was before and what defined him then. Aaron really gives readers a look at this younger God's personality in a way that is incredibly descriptive. The tone of the character is different, but still very much the Thor that fans of the character will surely recognize. He establishes the outline not only for the character's personality, but also for his identity as the God of Thunder.

I think that Esad Ribic is the perfect choice for artist on this series and he works really well with Jason Aaron. There's a fantastic fight scene that really feels intricate, and it's great to see Aaron allow Ribic to tell such a vital piece of the story. That scene in particular was one that stood out to me as one of the best moments in the issue. It was fantastic to see the way that Aaron draws a parallel between the current events and a moment from Thor's childhood. Aaron does a fantastic job illustrating the scene with his words, and Ribic does a great job depicting an epic battle between Gods.

This issue certainly lured me in and left me with a lot of questions about the motives of Thor's adversary in this book. It also left me excited about the coming issues in which we will certainly see how these events shape Thor's character and identity and help define who he is and how he got to be that individual.

The Bad

I didn't really find anything particularly bad about this issue.

The Verdict

A great comic is one that can draw you into the story and keep you guessing until the end, and that's what this comic did for me. After reading this issue it is obvious that it is easy to follow along even for readers who might not be familiar with the character, but it's also a story that long-time fans of the character will be able to appreciate. The art really compliments the story, and the issue is a really fun ride.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.