theacidskull's Thor: God of Thunder #10 - Godbomb: Part Four of Five - To The Last God review

Irony

I've been a fan of this series for Quite some time now, i Had my problems with Jason aarons Writing But He really did well with this series, i loved the three thors and i stuck with the series till the end. Now don't be completely thrown off the rating, i have my reasons. I will still like Aarons thor, but this was a slight disappointment after the spectacular last issue.

Now before i get to the story and characters, i will as expected talk about the art. Esad Ribics art is , as always, spectacular, he has this MYTHIC vibe which really works here, and it is especially suited for Thor. Speaking of which, thors design is amazing as usual, it amazes me how the artist can compliment jason Aarons characterization of the three thors, this doesn't just refer to this issue, but also to the entire arc, we all know that these 3 characters are thor when it comes to the core, but their in the same way different, and the art, along with the writing shows that off VERY well. Take the youngest Thor for one, he face generally speaks of an arrogant prince. I chose the youngest member because he should be the hardest to portray, since drawing a old wise guy should be Very easy for an expert artist. the action yet again is Top-Notch, and the colors provide a vivid yet dark tone to the story.

The story is kinda where the problems begin. i was expecting something out of the ordinary after the fact that issue 9 Pulled off a 10/10 for me, but when i got to the end of it i was very very disappointed. The thing is, some things accrue here that seem to really peeve me, the biggest problem i have is that i feel that this story has gone too far, 11 issues is a bit too much for my taste. now i have no problems with long arcs as long as it's Justified, but here? i have no trouble believing that this arc could have ended the last issue, or it could have been concluded here, but it seems that it's just being pushed too far, which kinda throws me off. Another problem would be Gorr's son. Now i'm not trying to tell a writer what to do here, but i didn't really Buy That Gorr's son really had a change of heart, sure he mentions that this was a long time coming, and yes Gorr did kill his wife, but it would have been much more effective if it was actually shown that The son really didn't enjoy what gorr was doing you know? like for example, maybe during the slave work he , instead of taunting young thor, could have shown some compassion for them, and Then his moment of what awakening would have been much cooler. I might seem to nit-pick here, and it's not TOO big of a problem, but i feel that i had to mention it.

However, not to leave things on a bad note, I love Gorr as the villain, i think that he is an awesome addition to Thor's Rogue Gallery. Gorr is in many way like a complicated a child, he really believes that what he is doing is right, and the fact that he doesn't realize that he has basically become a God himself is truly an awesome moment. i also like the Girls of Thunder, and i'm glad they didn't just come up for one issue and then just fade away.

This is still a Solid issue though, the problem is that i doesn't simply measure up to the previous issues, which is why it god a bit of a low score.

Recommendation: mhhh sure.

Posted by lykopis

Hmmm -- looks like you and I are going to disagree for the first time here, lil bro -- but not too much. ;)

See, what you were unhappy with, I was -- and having said that, I had an inkling already of what to expect and was gratified to see it happen. Maybe I was unprepared for just how LONG Gorr's son felt the way he did, rather than a change of heart suddenly, but even then that can be considered a good thing because that has been done, over and over.

As for the story arc lasting a long time -- hmm -- maybe. It's a powerful story -- the end of gods -- so it can be argued is should be a long one, but you're right about it not needing to last quite so long. It won't take twisting my arm to disagree with myself here -- there's a enough left over that I hope the next issue will cover but it reminds of a high action movie -- the last half hour is usually where all the action is and so basing it off that, one more issue mathematically feels right.

Still a great breakdown -- bang on (like you usually are) about the art and not for anything, Frigg is fun. I really, really like her.

Great job!

@lykopis said:

Great job!

Thanks sis :)

And of course :), we can't always agree on everything right? :) i can totally see why many would disagree we me, and usually i'm OK with long arcs, however i don't really see why this needed to go on when it could have easily ended right here and now, but as i said :), i am still Pumped for what's to come, maybe aaron will prove me wrong :P, which is exactly what i want ^___^.

Thanks again :D

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

I liked this issue, not as good as some of the series, but a nice set-up for the finale.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

true, but this couldn't live up to the previous ones :P

Posted by johnkmccubbin91
Posted by isaac_clarke

I would say seeing your mother's bleeding hand out-streched out of the ground would give anyone some pause to think. He knows Gorr killed her and really any chance that he would every really give up this mission to be the man he once was.

But I do agree with the sentiment that Gorr's complete denial of what he has become - from creating his own world to throw Thor into, his own life - those black beserkers and what have you - is pretty neat to watch. Thor's own expression of doubt as he hammers on is also a good moment of him showing that he's more than just a brute.

Ciao everybody.

Edited by TheAcidSkull

Ciao everybody.

true, but Consider the figure Gorr must be for this child, he should be LIKE a GOD to him as well, and turning against him is a bit to brave for a kid :/

Posted by gunmetalgrey

@theacidskull: I think you were seeing the wrong change of heart. He didn't suddenly feel for the gods so as to show them compassion, he just started hating Gorr. He couldn't care less what happened to the gods. Notice when he helped Thor up from the cliff, he doesn't say "Go. Save your kind.", he just says "Kill my father." To me, this says that he just wants Gorr dead, no matter the effect or the outcome.

True, it might be too brave for a kid, but I think that's exactly why he chose that precise moment to strike. His father was at the peak of the master plan, everything needs to fall perfectly into place, in other words, it's the moment when Gorr is most distracted. Black berserkers were everywhere, they're the eyes and ears of Gorr. If he had shown any disgust or displeasure in what his father did before that moment, well.. we all saw what happened to his mother..

Posted by TheAcidSkull

you make very good points my friend, tough the reason i think it wasn't very good is because there had never been shown any resentment towards gorr, the moment would have been more powerful, had he shown some frown towards gorr. but Great points non the less man :)

Edited by Cyclops4President