k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Just so you know, the word "fun" is going to be used in this review a lot because that really is the best way to describe this issue. It's never going for story-driven or heavier material; it's just trying to make you have a good time and get lost in this wonderful universe. And you know what? I'd say this three story issue succeeds at that. It may be too silly or lighthearted for some (there, just saved some of you $4.99), but if you're cool with the comedy-heavy and goofy titles that Marvel has to offer, this is going to be a good amount of fun for you. See, there's that word again. I mean, "fun" is obviously subjective, but the three stories work for different reasons.

The first story is by Jason Aaron, Timothy Truman, and Frank Martin. Out of the three tales, this one is the most "serious," incorporates just a wee bit of emotion, and will be the most interesting one for my fellow THOR: GOD OF THUNDER fans. This goes into the future and gives us a look at King Thor, sometime after his epic battle with Galactus. It's all about telling us that yes, Midgard is a big deal to Thor -- something we're all well aware of -- but it does so in an amusing and clever way. Plus, I love how Aaron handles Atli's banter. More of her, please. As for the visuals, they shine with the establishing shots and offer a decent sense of wonder. The attention to detail with the environments and settings were my visual highlight and there's no way Truman and Martin didn't have fun working on the visuals for some of the... well, I'll just call them unexpected and creative cameos. It's not an overly emotional read, but it is a nice little follow-up to the previous run and leaves me wondering when we'll be lucky enough to see more of King Thor and the return of the purple cosmic threat.

The second story's by Noelle Stevenson and Marguerite Sauvage. This one is simply a solid dose of cute -- guess what word comes next? -- fun. The visuals are a little stiff and not really as vivid as the other two chapters, but considering just how friendly and playful the story is in this one, the visuals fit the tone pretty well. They may not be a style I'm all that fond of, but they work for the story and that's what really matters. Don't worry, people who hate the new Thor, this one doesn't attempt to insult you! This time, Thor's closest friends are having a tough time accepting someone else as the wielder of Mjolnir, so they put her through several tests to see if she's really worthy of the powerful hammer. Adorable mayhem and fun ensues. What I really like about this one is it's not trying to hype the Goddess of Thunder up or say she's the "new and improved" Thor. The message is instead she's just a different person holding the iconic weapon and thrives for her own reasons. She's not better than Thor, she's just different. Her handling of the scenarios help show she's able to think on her feet and adapt to challenges in a completely different manner. More importantly, it shows just how surreal becoming the Goddess of Thunder must be and makes it crystal clear she's relishing every second about it. It's not laugh out loud funny or compelling, but it's a cute side story for the new heroine. I thin if you're really loving the new character, this will be a pleasant ride.

The final story is by CM Punk and CHEW'SRob Guillory. This is by far the wackiest, most out-there and funniest story out of the bunch and Guillory totally embraces all of the ridiculous fun. His exaggerated expressions and energetic characters really sell all of the laughs Punk put in the script. It's a totally over-the-top and cartoonish drinking story that takes ridiculous and hilariously silly turns. I mean, we're talking about a story where Thor has a drinking contest with the devil. If your immediate thought is, "What? Bring it on!" then you're likely going to really enjoy this one. The last page is a real treat as well -- absolutely didn't see that coming. As a THOR: GOD OF THUNDER fan, I thought the Aaron's story was the most rewarding, but this one is the most memorable. Its just so absurd and refuses to take anything seriously. If that's your thing, have at it and enjoy the insanity.

The Bad

Look, let's be totally honest here: this issue is pure filler. If you're expecting some solid developments in the story or teasers for what's to come in the latest run, you're going to be disappointed. This one is all about telling three short and totally different stories that aim to put you in a good mood, not expand the story in the regular issues or even give you a stronger clue about who the new Thor is. That said, $4.99 for just three very different kinds of fun is probably asking a little too much from some of you. Collecting comics is an expensive hobby and, even though it's just a few bucks, it really does add up every single week. Despite being sick and in a not-so-great mood, I really enjoyed all of the humor and had a good time. But seeing as comedy is subjective, it's entirely possible you'll end up paying $4.99 for one story you like and two you don't. I'd recommend checking out the preview before deciding if it's really worth your cash.

The Verdict

This is 100% lighthearted fun. There's no significant link back to the main story; it's all about embracing this fantasy world and having a crazy amount of fun with it. The opening story is mythos heavy and a little touching (it gives a brief update on future Galactus), the secondary story is cute and a little heartwarming, and the final one is all about purposefully over-the-top silliness and comedy -- it feels like a wacky cartoon. If you're cool with an issue that is focused purely on making you smile, odds are this might be worth your $4.99. Again, seeing as they're all delivering different kinds of comedy, I strongly recommend checking out the preview to see if this is something you'll appreciate.

Makentsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"this one is it's not trying to hype the Goddess of Thunder up or say she's the "new and improved" Thor. The message is instead she's just a different person holding the iconic weapon and thrives for her own reasons. She's not better than Thor, she's just different. Her handling of the scenarios help show she's able to think on her feet and adapt to challenges in a completely different manner."

This is basically how I feel she should be written in the main book instead of how aaron's writing her now.Here she seems like her own character and not just Thor with boobs,but a person that is unique in her own right . I feel that Noelle Stevenson should be writing the new thor book instead of aaron cause her version actually made me want to buy an issue.

Good Review btw! :)

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Blah, my comic store was sold out when I went to pick it up today. I did get Spider-Gwen at least, which is nice.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one barley sold at my LCS, Im no Thor fan but i am a CM Punk fan, so naturally i had to check it out
    and i enjoyed it, i can see him maybe doing his own thing at image. id be up for it, good for CM Punk new endeavor. Just wish things didn't go so sour for him IN WWE, but that's Vince for ya.
    But I dgress

i imagine this issue probably sold out at EVERY LCS in Chicago since they follow Punk like a god over there lmo

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't worth the cover price, but was decent filler. It was fun but now I am ready to see Thor's and Odinsons story continue

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was o.k. at best, I picked it up mainly for the OKT story which was my favorite of the three. Second was the Young Thor bit which was really cartoony but the art and story worked well together and it was a fun read. I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan of the new replacement Thor but that's simply because I really don't find her character or the story, so far, all that compelling and the annual did nothing to change that, and as mentioned the art really didn't do much for me either. If I wasn't such a completist I could've easily skipped this one.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved it

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it on marvel digital this morning purely for the Old King Thor story. I don't expect more than a nice filler at this point. Dunno, will see when I get back tonight from work and can give it a proper read.

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone else find it funny that the Straight Edge CM Punk does a story that involves Thor drinking?

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About the "sick and not in a great mood" part. I hear ya. Been nursing the worst cold I've had in my adult life the past 8 freaken days and it's not letting up. Not the flue, just a cold but it's led to severe laryngitis to the point I cannot do my job properly. Not getting nearly enough sleep = irritable as hell.

Lack of sleep = an even grumpier and more ornery than usual SSXII.

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By KouNurasaka

I've only had time to read the first story so far, but I actually felt like that one wasn't filler so much. It filled us in on Galactus and his latest events, and gave some good character development for King Thor.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i liked it . im slowly becoming a Thor fan and that scares me...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really enjoyed this issue. Might have been filler, but it was filler worthy of a buy!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

plz lord, never let CM punk near any of my beloved books again!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Jane and Steve? Really, King Thor? Really?? (sigh)

Filler, for sure and fun, for sure. I don't regret picking this up. Nice to see Thor's granddaughters again, even if it was a little gloomy. And the Warriors Three.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.