Awesome Toy Picks: Starman (Signature Collection)

Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible to see what they look like out of the packaging. There hasn't been a lot of cool figures in the stores lately and we have another look at a DC Signature Collection figure from MattyCollector, Thom Kallor, aka Starman.

The bad news is this figure is sold out at MattyCollector.com. It was included with the 2012 Club Infinite Earth subscription. They did sell them as well but when they're available, you want to be quick. I have seen some rare occasions when some items end up on sale again in super limited quantities. You can always do a simple search on ebay to add it to your collection.

As always, they come in the plain white box. There's something elegant and classy about the way it looks.

The inner box is similar to the others in the Signature Collection series. You can easily see the figure if you insist on keeping it sealed in its packaging. And there's a little bio on the back if you're not able to check out his page here.

But of course the big question is, what does he look like out of the box? Sure it's collectible and no longer available at MattyCollector. It's our dedication to you guys to rip open the box and give you all a closer look. (Okay, maybe not necessarily rip open...)

You could see in the first pic that he does come with a separate unmasked head. The nice thing about it is it's easily interchangeable. I've had some in the past where it's a pain to try to change heads. You're almost afraid to try out of fear of breaking something.

Check out what Thom looks like without his mask (how's he keep all that beard looking so smooth under the mask?).

This figure also has the right amount of articulation. Sometimes they have too much and other times they just look stiff. This one can be moved around and positioned in different ways.

That's it for this week. Be sure to check for the next installment to see what collectible I'm able to find and open up.

Staff
#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

You should have had him holding a sloppy joe! :)

#2 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, they could have made him black-transparent with little stars and stuff like that in him.

#3 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be 10 times better if it came with a head that was only half covered by the mask. I love when he goes on those antics.

#4 Edited by ahgunsillyo (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@Utandi said:

Hmmm, they could have made him black-transparent with little stars and stuff like that in him.

As far as I know, they did. You can sort of tell in some of the pictures, especially when it comes to the biceps and thighs.

#5 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice, the hero pose looks especially good

#6 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple...but nice.

#7 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like he wants a challenge to fisticuffs.

#8 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

This design of the figure resembles Marvel's Moon Knight in the Marvel Legend Series

#9 Posted by bloggerboy (543 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's Deadpool...and I love it!

Starman was one of the best things in John's run of the JSA.

#10 Posted by jwalser3 (4798 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

You should have had him holding a sloppy joe! :)

#11 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

For a collectible from MatteyCollector, one would expect a lot more design. But it's okay.

#12 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I need that!!!

Starman's the bomb.

#13 Posted by CrimsonCake (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping it was Jack Knight. :(

#14 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

In space, no one can hear you fart.

Looks cool, I like the speckling which emulates the stars on his costume.

#15 Posted by mickeyangel (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the dc direct version from the jsa line. Although it has less points of articulation than the Mattel version, the dc version has an amazing sculpt, the same great costume and interchangeable faces.

#16 Posted by longbowhunter (6805 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the insane Thom Kallor from Geoff Johns JSA.

#17 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Paint job looks a bit disappointing.

#18 Posted by JayMar89 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

just got my first DCUC figure martain manhunter and I cant wait to get my hands on more

#19 Posted by Darkmount1 (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, but I just can't resist:

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice colored lighting in there.

#21 Posted by RoTheKid (252 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like the poses you put him in!! Very cool! :)

#22 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Starman Sucks and so does this action figure. It looks like a  replica store manikin.

#23 Posted by THEBATFoE (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@ahgunsillyo:And chin.

#24 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@ahgunsillyo said:

@Utandi said:

As far as I know, they did. You can sort of tell in some of the pictures, especially when it comes to the biceps and thighs.

Yeah, you're right. Now I see it too.

Just some more bigger stars or little galaxies would have been perfect. ;)

#25 Posted by Zenistar (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or is this one of the most boring figures out there :(

#26 Posted by galactusx (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I need this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.