Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8022 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

Thing still good enough?

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 65

#1  Edited By AssertingValor

We know he cant stand up to hulk anymore, he is always getting beat bad... 
    Does he need to be changed?.............. 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gamefreak9

Sounds like a sad story :(, why can't he do it anymore? did he get weaker or did Hulk get stronger?? or was it just a realization after some face-offs?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Limitations make a great character, like the Thing. I never understood the need to add powers and boost abilities of heroes. Writers do that as an easy way out.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Win lose ratios do not make for a good character.  

I love that Thing has heart. I love that he always fights even when outgunned. His humility, his grit. He is a far more sympathetic hero. he works in a team book as well. His role in that team seems pretty tight. 

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#5  Edited By AssertingValor

he can take quite a beating for sure even from guys way beyond him
    , but he is always out classed strength wise and can hardly fight back.................... 

gamefreak9: actually they both got stronger, only Thing doubled, and Hulks strength gained expotentially!
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

The Thing will always be good enough.

The powers that be at Marvel have just been jobbing him for so long they don't know how to treat him any other way.

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scarbearer

I have always believed and I still stand by the belief that except for the God-spawn like Thor and Hercules, Thing is the most skilled fighter of Marvel's 'Strong men' and as much as I would love to see Ben beat the crap out of the Hulk or especially that obnoxious Johnny-Come-Lately Sentry, I don't want to see them have to completely power amp Ben just so he can do so.  He's a great character as is, and if you ask me, the guy that goes into the fight every time without hesitation even though he knows he's outmatched is magnitudes more heroic than like say some of these other Power houses that shouldn't have to worry about going into a fight they can loose.

I'm really hoping all this hub-bub with Ben being a "Worthy' now in Fear Itself ends with some vintage Thing heroics where he throws away his hammer and takes on the other 6 even though he's outmatched and inspiring other heroes that are ready to give up in the face of unsurmountable odds to rejoin the fight.  That'd be epic.

But who am I kidding, Sentry or a new Iron Man Suit will show up and fix everything... Bah!

info nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By info nation
    @Scarbearer: Good point, I like to think the Thing has what it takes to be one of MARVEL'S greatest heavy hitters, but he's afraid of losing his humanity in the process so he'a always holding back, so it's not that he CAN'T become as strong as a god, it's that he's just not that sure if he WANTS to!
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By The_Martian

The Thing is perfect the way he is.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

meh, i never liked him

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Thing is awesome, but for some reason, he never wins against the bigger guys.  

Hell, he was even given awesome powers with that fancy hammer, and Thor beat him in one panel :/

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

Is the Thing still good enough?

Yeah!Always has been.Always will be.

Nuff said!

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thestarguy

When it comes to heart, toughness and tenacity, not to mention courage, the Thing is #1, period. As for a power increase, the only increase that I would like to see is that Ben, already being a rock being, gains the ability to continuously replenish and renew his strength as long as he remains in contact with the Earth! (like a Golem). I don't want Ben tiring out, and getting weaker during battles. Also, it might be interesting if Ben could draw mass from the Earth to temporarily increase his size and mass also.

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thestarguy

I loved the recent Namor vs Thing clashes in AVX, as they both exemplified what the Thing is truly about......name heart and courage! The Thing ain't a'scared of NOBODY!! Nobody throws down with more determination than Ben Grimm. He is definitely still good enough!!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

@thestarguy said:

When it comes to heart, toughness and tenacity, not to mention courage, the Thing is #1, period. As for a power increase, the only increase that I would like to see is that Ben, already being a rock being, gains the ability to continuously replenish and renew his strength as long as he remains in contact with the Earth! (like a Golem). I don't want Ben tiring out, and getting weaker during battles. Also, it might be interesting if Ben could draw mass from the Earth to temporarily increase his size and mass also.

This would be an interesting and appropriate power for Ben. Nice idea, :)

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thestarguy

Thanks! My main concern is that all of Ben's "A"-list competitors (Thor, Herc, The Hulk, Namor & now even Colossus) each have their own special edge factor.....Thor has Mjolner, Herc (fully powered) is the God of Strength, Hulk is limited only by his anger, Namor is almost invincible underwater & Colossus now has the "unstoppable juggernaut upgrade". Ben, while #1 in my book, really only has his courage, heart and determination. I would at least like him to have dramatically increased stamina and some method of fast rejuvenation to recover from injuries. Maybe even the ability to morph back into his evolved super-tough "pineapple form" under duress.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

@thestarguy:

You're right; The powers-that-be at Marvel have definitely kept Ben back while at the same time giving or expanding his peer groups' power sets.

I wouldn't mind him having a fast rejuvenation/healing factor but I'd rather have him become so much more durable that it would be hard to even injure him in the first place. I'd also give him a bump up in strength but I wouldn't want it to be accompanied by his spikey "pineapple form" (which I never liked).

angrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By angrir

Its really sad!!! he was left

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.