The Thing's power "Adrenal Quotient"?

#1 Posted by thestarguy (351 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to be currently floating around that Ben Grimm is now considered to be a "light Class 100", meaning that, while his strength level is now high enough to no longer be 100% measurable, he is still able to be defeated by several of the ultra-heavyweights like Hercules, Thor or his perennial sparring partner, the Hulk. However, it has also been shown multiple times now that Ben has performed feats of strength and endurance that were far in excess of the Class 100 base. Like when he once stopped a 30,000 ton building from toppling, or when Ben recently defeated Kree Sentries in Fantastic Four that had already incapacitated both Red Hulk and She-Hulk. It should be noted that, at the time, Ben thought that his beloved Alicia was in danger, which seemed to trigger an adrenaline rush. Throughout his history Ben's strength seems to increase dramatically during these "adrenaline rushes" and makes him a true ultra-heavyweight for short bursts of time. Can anyone think of more instances through-out his history of these adrenaline-fueled power bursts?

#2 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

The fight with the champion perhaps.

#3 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@thestarguy: The Thing has also withstood multiple blows from the hulk with minimal damage, he's been hit with Thor's hammer with NO serious injuries, he knocked Klaw out with ONE PUNCH, and he survived being beaten by some crwatures called "The mindless ones" they're basically magical killer robots programmed to destroy anything they can and even Dr. Strange doesn't want to go anywhere near them! That's all I can think of right now, I'll see if I can think of anything else sometime.

#4 Posted by capshield (12 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many instances of the Thing showing big bursts of strength. When He crushed Dr Doom in FF #40, His Decking of the Wrecker in FF #355, His defeat of the Super Adaptoid in MTIO 75. Others He has taken out in his long fighting career are SandMan, Miracle Man, Anihilus, Sub Mariner, Wonder Man, She Hulk, Umbra, Wizard, Terrax, and various Giant Monsters, Androids and Super powered Robots. He has also fought to a standstill Black Bolt, Silver Surfer, Devastator, Paibok Super Skrull, Darkoth, and many others. One of my personal favorites of mine, is from MTIO 50, when he goes back in time and fights himself in an earlier incarnation. Great Fight scenes and great Art and story by John Byrne. I wish He would come back to do the FF or better yet a new Thing title.

#5 Posted by Holaso (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to think that the THING's bursts of feats far and above his normal capabilities is because he has a HEART OF GOLD =D That's something that science and chemistry can't explain. Adrenaline is something more along the lines of Hulk's uniqueness. No one cares about things like the Ever Lovin' Blue-Eyed Thing...good ol' BEN!

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally!!!!!!!

It's past time Ben was shown to be a "Class 100" strongman! Way past time!

I think this is where Ben should've been all along and should always stay.

To paraphrase Ben himself; "He ain't no crummy second-rater."

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio
Heavyweights & Super-Mediumweights 1981

Here's Ben stating "I ain't no crummy second-rater!"

#8 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Strength Level = Whatever the writer needs today

You could make a similar argument about at least a dozen of the heavy hitters if you really researched it. I agree with PowerHerc that Thing should have seen his level rise along with many other characters and it makes sense for him to be consistantly shown in the (non cosmic or god) top tier of strength.

#9 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Do you possibly have the rest of that scan cos I'd love to see it

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoarderofhilarity said:

Yep. Hear it is ( I hope you enjoy it ):

Marvel's pre-Handbook strength ranking attempt
#11 Posted by capshield (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Man put in the super heavy weights over the ever lovin blue eyed Thing. That is just wrong. Ben should be in the Super Heavy weight category. He has given the Hulk some of his hardest fights of all time. Marvel's whole strength rating thing has been way off since they first put it out there. The Thing has lifted whole buildings and Suspension Bridges. Those structures are in the 1000's tons in Weight. I mean 100 tons is what two Caterpillar D 9 bulldozers weigh. I have learned to ingore their rating system and just enjoy the comics. Capshield.

#12 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Marvel's pre-Handbook strength ranking attempt

@Hoarderofhilarity said:

Yep. Hear it is ( I hope you enjoy it ):

Hold on a second. IRON MAN is considered a super heavy weight?!?! He says himself he can only reach it for like TWO SECONDS!!! That's not super-heavy weight!!! Alongside Thor, Hulk, Herc, and Wonder Man he's terribly out of place!!! Put Ben up there and bump Tony back down to heavy-weight where he belongs!!

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

I completely agree! Iron Man is out of place in the "Super-Heavyweights" category.

I remember being shocked when I first saw that back in the summer of '81 and being even more shocked that the Thing was not a super-heavyweight. I think IM being placed that high was directly based upon a recent (back then) issue of "Iron Man" where he had channeled all of his armor's power into one punch that knocked out the Hulk. It's also my opinion that the Thing not being placed in the top-tier was the beginning of over thirty years of general disrespect for the character.

#14 Posted by thestarguy (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

I completely agree! Iron Man is out of place in the "Super-Heavyweights" category.

I remember being shocked when I first saw that back in the summer of '81 and being even more shocked that the Thing was not a super-heavyweight. I think IM being placed that high was directly based upon a recent (back then) issue of "Iron Man" where he had channeled all of his armor's power into one punch that knocked out the Hulk. It's also my opinion that the Thing not being placed in the top-tier was the beginning of over thirty years of general disrespect for the character.

Couldn't agree more on this. I felt the same way when I saw this ranking back when it first came out. While I had to applaud the attempt of Marvel to try to quantify their heroes physical power levels, I too seriously disagreed (and still do until today) about Iron Man's power levels. To me, he is a "super-medium weight", since the armor is more for protection than for raw strength. And I think the Thing and Wonder Man are practically in the same league also. There was an issue of Marvel Two-in-One where Ben fought and successfully beat both Wonder Man and She-Hulk.

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

@thestarguy: Good to know other agree. I knew I wasn't alone on this.

#16 Edited by angrir (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna ask some questions that hasn't really been addressed for a long time,

since ben is super strong, doesn't that mean he has a lot of energy, and doesn't that translate to speed

why cant ben jump, does he not have enough power to trust himself up, I mean if Spiderman can do it, when not old benjy

how did he survive thors hammer, but not wolverines claws

in the ultimate's, what do they mean by no longer feels changes in temperature, does that mean, changes in certain temperatures or all temperature's, including that of a tsar bomber.

I remember reading a fantastic four comic book back in the day, when he first transformed every time he walked ,he caused mini earthquakes to form and sent cars flying feet's in the air, then reed designed a kind of do-hikey that suppresses his powers, does that mean that ol benjy is still wearing it, and there by not showing all his got.

and last question PLEASE I WANNA KNOW, WHY ISNT BEN ABLE TO RUN mph AND JUMP with enough velocity to escape atmosphere please someone tell me all this and I will love you forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.