Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8022 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

The Thing ..Marvel's Punching Bag!

Onyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Onyx

Has Benjy EVER won a fight agaisnt other heavyweights in the MU. I have been reading comics for years, and I am hard pressed to think of one time he came out on top...

aside for his phase where he was spiky, he has been housed on the regular
    where's the love?

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Slinger

The Thing has been on the winning end of many brawls, but that's really not what he's there for anyway. Thing is a staller, he's supposed to go in and tie up whatever big-bad the Fantastic Four are facing until Reed can figure out how to beat it with science. In this capacity he excels.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By speedlgt

I dont think so i seem to only remember him being a good suport power guy but not really winning fights alone aginst the heavy hitters. He never beat Hulk alone to the best of knowledge

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess it depends on wo you consider heavy hitters.

He can't beat the Hulk, Thor, Hercules, Sentry, Gladiator or Juggernaut

But he can beat Colossus, Wonder Man, She Hulk and Namor.

But he hasn't fought any of those guys he can beat. Except for Namor and it nevers goes the distance.

He's beat many baddies that were pretty powerful.

Miracle Class

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Miracle Class
    StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "I guess it depends on wo you consider heavy hitters.He can't beat the Hulk, Thor, Hercules, Sentry, Gladiator or JuggernautBut he can beat Colossus, Wonder Man, She Hulk and Namor.But he hasn't fought any of those guys he can beat. Except for Namor and it nevers goes the distance. He's beat many baddies that were pretty powerful. "
    The Thing can't beat She-Hulk or Namor.He has fought She-Hulk and she owned him and more to the point she is a better fighter than him and she's stronger.Her strength and fighting skill feats overshadow his by a large margin.
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miracle Class said:
    "StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "I guess it depends on wo you consider heavy hitters.He can't beat the Hulk, Thor, Hercules, Sentry, Gladiator or JuggernautBut he can beat Colossus, Wonder Man, She Hulk and Namor.But he hasn't fought any of those guys he can beat. Except for Namor and it nevers goes the distance. He's beat many baddies that were pretty powerful. "
    The Thing can't beat She-Hulk or Namor.He has fought She-Hulk and she owned him and more to the point she is a better fighter than him and she's stronger.Her strength and fighting skill feats overshadow his by a large margin.
    "

When did she own the Thing. I know Namor neve has.
    Miracle Class

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Miracle Class
    StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "Miracle Class said:
    "StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "
    When did she own the Thing. I know Namor neve has."
    She owned the Thing and Thundra at the same time.It was an F4 comic in like the 60's.
    Avatar image for weapon_x_badazz
    weapon x badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By weapon x badazz

I thought the Rhino was marvels punchbag? And big Ben would be able 2 beat him Spidey does

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By geraldthesloth

Rhino was always marvels punching bag.

Ben has the most heart and will power in marvel and it would be stupid to think low of him.

He's beaten Wonder Man

One shotted Nova when she was a herald of Galactus and was able to overpower Iron Man..

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By speedlgt

how in the heck does thing beat Wonderman? this is guy who is meant to be a match for sentry? no way thing beats namor,

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matezoide2

nah,i am preety sure the Wreacking Crew are the punch bags

Avatar image for weapon_x_badazz
    weapon x badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weapon x badazz
    @Matezoide said:
    "nah,i am preety sure the Wreacking Crew are the punch bags "

Yeah either them or Rhino
    fedykin87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fedykin87

Haha thing beat Colossus thats funny, never happened nor will. Thing has nevre beaten Colossus, Wonder Man, She Hulk and Namor. But they have smoked him before in the past expect Colossus as they have never fought, armwrestled and wer even until kitty came in dressed sluty and the teenage Piotr (70 tons strength and he was even with thing?) lost from the distraction. I don't recall thing ever really beating any of the power houses unless you count Grey Hulk as one.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @fedykin87: Ben has beat Wonder Man
    Steel radra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steel radra

really how?

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    No Caption Provided
    Ben Grimm needs his own comic again and a power upgrade.
    info nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By info nation
    @Cezar_TheScribe: You got THAT right, but I think the Thing has more to offer than mere strength! his whole body is a fighting machine! most of the time he only loses in fights because he's outmatched, unlucky, or just can't resist going easy on his oppnents, Ben Grimm may SEEM like an uncouth thug, but deep down he's all about class and decency, most of the time, he just can't bring himself to cut lose!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Grimm broke the Champion of the Universe's rips and punched Galactus.He's hardly a punching bag.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DH69

tigra is marvels punching bag
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @DH69 said:
    "tigra is marvels punching bag "

Last time I heard she's Marvel's Wh*re along with Black WIdow and She-Hulk. 
    Those character were sure messed up. :/
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    Last time I heard she's Marvel's Wh*re along with Black WIdow and She-Hulk. Those character were sure messed up. :/ "
    Just because Black Widow,Tigra,and She-Hulk sleep with alot of people,doesn't really make them whores considering how long they've existed.It's not like they ust go out and sleep with any old random character...especially Black Widow.She usually has long relationships with these people.
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    Last time I heard she's Marvel's Wh*re along with Black WIdow and She-Hulk. Those character were sure messed up. :/ "
    Just because Black Widow,Tigra,and She-Hulk sleep with alot of people,doesn't really make them whores. 

That is the definition of a harlot. Sleeping around with many people. :/  

That's why I don't buy She-Hulk's book. Until Marvel fixes that huge problem. 
    As it is now they shoud have a mature label on the comic.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben gets jobbed, and he has earned and deserves better.
    Id like to see him get an upgrade actually, to 100+ strength, maybe a better durability.
    he's payed his dues and earned that as a character.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    Just because Black Widow,Tigra,and She-Hulk sleep with alot of people,doesn't really make them whores considering how long they've existed.It's not like they ust go out and sleep with any old random character...especially Black Widow.She usually has long relationships with these people. "
    agreed with Vance as usual. In the writing off the books, theres actual deeper reasons each character sleeps around,
    part based in their natures. as for Tigra, Cezar, you heard very wrong. Try reading the book next time, which for a long time Tigra has been in, and beating the crap out of people, sadistically the last issue.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " Ben gets jobbed, and he has earned and deserves better. Id like to see him get an upgrade actually, to 100+ strength, maybe a better durability. he's payed his dues and earned that as a character. "
    I agree so much
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    Just because Black Widow,Tigra,and She-Hulk sleep with alot of people,doesn't really make them whores considering how long they've existed.It's not like they ust go out and sleep with any old random character...especially Black Widow.She usually has long relationships with these people. "
    agreed with Vance as usual. In the writing off the books, theres actual deeper reasons each character sleeps around, part based in their natures. as for Tigra, Cezar, you heard very wrong. Try reading the book next time, which for a long time Tigra has been in, and beating the crap out of people, sadistically the last issue. "
    When did I address her ability to fight? 

All I said is if Marvel insists that she stays a harlot sleeping around they need to add a mature label to the cover. 
    Content like that will get you removed form books stores. I've seen it happen before. 

Since comics are still basically aimed at children.  
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cezar_TheScribe said:

" @CATMANEXE said:

" @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    agreed with Vance as usual. In the writing off the books, theres actual deeper reasons each character sleeps around, part based in their natures. as for Tigra, Cezar, you heard very wrong. Try reading the book next time, which for a long time Tigra has been in, and beating the crap out of people, sadistically the last issue. "
    When did I address her ability to fight? 
    my bad, someone else.

@Cezar_TheScribe said:

" @CATMANEXE said:

" @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    All I said is if Marvel insists that she stays a harlot sleeping around they need to add a mature label to the cover. Content like that will get you removed form books stores. I've seen it happen before.  Since comics are still basically aimed at children.   "
    thanks for the story. not true though. comics are PG-13.  so are the sex scenes. itll never happen. the church tried it. prolific and wealthy groups tried it for years. the only ones with the power, the CCA, lost that ability. book stores sell Playboy.

if you dont like sex in comics, dont read the ones that do. if sex makes you uncomfortable in general, join a 
    monastery. you wouldnt be here without it.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DH69
    @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    "@CATMANEXE said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    When did I address her ability to fight?  All I said is if Marvel insists that she stays a harlot sleeping around they need to add a mature label to the cover. Content like that will get you removed form books stores. I've seen it happen before.  Since comics are still basically aimed at children.   "

oh please tigra has been screwed over so many times by marvel the only place she shines right now is in the marvel adventures books, in the mangaverse she's a slave to doctor strange and eventually gets killed by some ninja, in an alternate future hulk rips her in 2, she gets slaughtered in the zombieverse,  in house of M she gets shot thru the chest and dies, she's been kept as a pet/slave to more than a few people in the 616 universe, had the shit kicked out of her by the hood and his gang and just found up she got knocked up by a skrull. marvel just loves screwing with her
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DH69 said:

" @Cezar_TheScribe said:

"@CATMANEXE said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    When did I address her ability to fight?  All I said is if Marvel insists that she stays a harlot sleeping around they need to add a mature label to the cover. Content like that will get you removed form books stores. I've seen it happen before.  Since comics are still basically aimed at children.   "
    oh please tigra has been screwed over so many times by marvel the only place she shines right now is in the marvel adventures books, in the mangaverse she's a slave to doctor strange and eventually gets killed by some ninja, in an alternate future hulk rips her in 2, she gets slaughtered in the zombieverse,  in house of M she gets shot thru the chest and dies, she's been kept as a pet/slave to more than a few people in the 616 universe, had the shit kicked out of her by the hood and his gang and just found up she got knocked up by a skrull. marvel just loves screwing with her "
    i love when people go on who dont read current books. let me try again....

Try reading the book next time,  The Initiative.
    which for a long time Tigra has been in, and beating the crap out of people, sadistically the last issue. "
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DH69
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @DH69 said:

" @Cezar_TheScribe said:

"@CATMANEXE said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    " @DH69 said:
    oh please tigra has been screwed over so many times by marvel the only place she shines right now is in the marvel adventures books, in the mangaverse she's a slave to doctor strange and eventually gets killed by some ninja, in an alternate future hulk rips her in 2, she gets slaughtered in the zombieverse,  in house of M she gets shot thru the chest and dies, she's been kept as a pet/slave to more than a few people in the 616 universe, had the shit kicked out of her by the hood and his gang and just found up she got knocked up by a skrull. marvel just loves screwing with her "
    i love when people go on who dont read current books. let me try again....

Try reading the book next time,  The Initiative.which for a long time Tigra has been in, and beating the crap out of people, sadistically the last issue. " "

yeah she beat the crap out of one of the brothers grimm and films it for the world to see, but im talking about the long history she has had of being basically nothing but a vortex of abuse, and dont get me wrong im a fan of tigra have been for awhile and i loved how the initiative has been givin her better credit than what she's had in the past
    Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1
    @Miracle Class said:
    " StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "Miracle Class said:
    The Thing can't beat She-Hulk or Namor.He has fought She-Hulk and she owned him and more to the point she is a better fighter than him and she's stronger.Her strength and fighting skill feats overshadow his by a large margin."
    She owned the Thing and Thundra at the same time.It was an F4 comic in like the 60's. "

She wasn't even around in the 60's!
    KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator
    @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    I'm always amazed by the people logic. A nipple there and covered sex scene there, that must be labeled mature. But when wolverine runs around slicing people in pieces, that totally teen stuff. It's like saying, don't go having sex it's bad for you, but you can kill people instead...
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @KillerZ said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    I'm always amazed by the people logic. A nipple there and covered sex scene there, that must be labeled mature. But when wolverine runs around slicing people in pieces, that totally teen stuff. It's like saying, don't go having sex it's bad for you, but you can kill people instead... "

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @KillerZ said:
    " @Cezar_TheScribe said:
    I'm always amazed by the people logic. A nipple there and covered sex scene there, that must be labeled mature. But when wolverine runs around slicing people in pieces, that totally teen stuff. It's like saying, don't go having sex it's bad for you, but you can kill people instead... "

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Drafta
    @Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    " @Miracle Class said:
    "Miracle Class said:
    The Thing can't beat She-Hulk or Namor.He has fought She-Hulk and she owned him and more to the point she is a better fighter than him and she's stronger.Her strength and fighting skill feats overshadow his by a large margin."
    She owned the Thing and Thundra at the same time.It was an F4 comic in like the 60's. "
    She wasn't even around in the 60's! "
    LMAO.

Ben could totally beat Namor.  He's knocked him around a little in the past, they just never full-out fought.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.