The Thing is now... Purple ?

#1 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I was checking out the Ultimate Universe and it said not only was Ben Grimm Going to marry Sue Storm But hes is nolonger in his rock form. He is now a kind of Purple thing ? So What powers dose he have now ? I got to know ?

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not heard of this before, but I am somewhat intrigued... :P

#3 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh...?

#4 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Purple makes everything better, further proof that Bendis is a genius for realizing that. 
 
The basic concept was that his rock form was the first stage of his mutation, a cocoon from which his actual form eventually emerged. He now has energy manipulation as well as enhanced stats, if memory serves right.
Moderator
#5 Posted by War Killer (20376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
The basic concept was that his rock form was the first stage of his mutation, a cocoon from which his actual form eventually emerged. He now has energy manipulation as well as enhanced stats, if memory serves right.
This, he's basically the Ultimate version of Wonder Man now.
Ultimate Mystery #1 (2010).
#6 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Still calling him the Thing is a bit of a stretch, too.
Moderator
#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely a left turn from what the readers were expecting, eh?

#8 Posted by War Killer (20376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

Definitely a left turn from what the readers were expecting, eh?

I actually like it. It's one of those twists that I think works for the character, especially after what happened with Reed in the Ultimate Universe.
#9 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he has basically become the Ultimate Wonder Man. He's a chump with an attitude and purple skin. Way to go, Bendis.

#10 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk about shaking things up in the Ultimate U.

#11 Posted by Izaiah (5238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
Still calling him the Thing is a bit of a stretch, too.
'Thing' was never a good name for any character, in any universe, IMO.
#12 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@Izaiah said:
@Morpheus_ said:
Still calling him the Thing is a bit of a stretch, too.
'Thing' was never a good name for any character, in any universe, IMO.
Agreed, but it has become iconic at this point.
Moderator
#13 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not just kill Thing off and introduce Wonder Man into the Ultimate universe? 

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Definitely a left turn from what the readers were expecting, eh?

I actually like it. It's one of those twists that I think works for the character, especially after what happened with Reed in the Ultimate Universe.

I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest. A lot of the cast in the Ultimate line is pretty unlikable, imo. It's hard for me to really get on board with any change, let along this one.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
Why not just kill Thing off and introduce Wonder Man into the Ultimate universe? 
there is no need of a Thing since there is no FF
#16 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Why not just kill Thing off and introduce Wonder Man into the Ultimate universe? 
there is no need of a Thing since there is no FF
In the Ultimate universe? Well yeah. Johnny hangs out with the X-Men, and I have no idea where Sue went after Reed went psycho. 
 
@Gambit1024 said:

I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest. A lot of the cast in the Ultimate line is pretty unlikable, imo. It's hard for me to really get on board with any change, let along this one.

Most of them are just rough around the edges.
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Why not just kill Thing off and introduce Wonder Man into the Ultimate universe? 
there is no need of a Thing since there is no FF
In the Ultimate universe? Well yeah. Johnny hangs out with the X-Men, and I have no idea where Sue went after Reed went psycho. 
 
@Gambit1024 said:

I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest. A lot of the cast in the Ultimate line is pretty unlikable, imo. It's hard for me to really get on board with any change, let along this one.

Most of them are just rough around the edges.
She started dating The Thing. 
 
A lot of the Ultimate characters have been pretty different since the re-branding, Cap is no longer a raciest jerk and Hulk hasn't eaten anybody in years, I mean actual years not comicbook years. 
#18 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@Illuminatus said:
Why not just kill Thing off and introduce Wonder Man into the Ultimate universe? 
there is no need of a Thing since there is no FF
In the Ultimate universe? Well yeah. Johnny hangs out with the X-Men, and I have no idea where Sue went after Reed went psycho. 
 
@Gambit1024 said:

I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest. A lot of the cast in the Ultimate line is pretty unlikable, imo. It's hard for me to really get on board with any change, let along this one.

Most of them are just rough around the edges.
She started dating The Thing.  A lot of the Ultimate characters have been pretty different since the re-branding, Cap is no longer a raciest jerk and Hulk hasn't eaten anybody in years, I mean actual years not comicbook years. 
Yeah, now Cap just sits in self-induced exile, Thor is officially a faux-god, Stark is still a degenerate, Jessica is growing into her own but is also pretentious, the new Black Widow is harsher than any woman in that universe, and Hawkeye is still a badass. Oh yeah, and Hulk doesn't eat people anymore and helps the Ultimates. That's pretty much it.
#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

Still calling him the Thing is a bit of a stretch, too.

Wait, he was marrying Sue Storm? I'm pretty sure that was reed?

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I'm kind of indifferent, to be honest. A lot of the cast in the Ultimate line is pretty unlikable, imo. It's hard for me to really get on board with any change, let along this one.

Most of them are just rough around the edges.

True. A lot of the early changes were great: Cap being a badass soldier, Spider-Man back to his roots in high school, the first X-Men roster, etc. But somewhere around the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy, I rapidly lost interest. The Ultimate FF were my least favorite to tell you the truth. I wasn't digging the new origin, Reed's a pretty lame character, and Dr. Doom, well.... goat legs.

@spiderbat87 said:

She started dating The Thing.

Aren't they getting married?

#21 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate F4 was never very good, despite the numerous plotholes and mind-numbing character banter.

#22 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

There's soooo many innuendo's here I don't even know which to start with.

#23 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm yes Ben and Sue are getting married. As a matter of fact... Sue approached Ben and professed her love for him, as he did for her before the attacks started. She proposed to him, stating that every good moment she ever had was because he was near her. Ben accepted, willing to start a new chapter in his life. Ben and Sue later both attended Peter Parker's surprise birthday party.

#24 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Morpheus_ said:
The basic concept was that his rock form was the first stage of his mutation, a cocoon from which his actual form eventually emerged. He now has energy manipulation as well as enhanced stats, if memory serves right.
This, he's basically the Ultimate version of Wonder Man now.
Ultimate Mystery #1 (2010).

Interesting to say the least.

I don't really read Ultimate

#25 Posted by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

@War Killer said:

@Morpheus_ said:
The basic concept was that his rock form was the first stage of his mutation, a cocoon from which his actual form eventually emerged. He now has energy manipulation as well as enhanced stats, if memory serves right.
This, he's basically the Ultimate version of Wonder Man now.
Ultimate Mystery #1 (2010).

Interesting to say the least.

I don't really read Ultimate

I really like the Ultimate Universe (usually), I like the Ultimate Enemy/Mystery trilogy. Showed us a little more of the Ultimate Universe and awesome turned Reed Richards into an INSANE SUPER VILLAIN, introduced Ben's new powers and i never thought of him as the Ultimate Wonder Man but that does makes sense and makes me like it more!

#26 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: When was cap racist?

As much as I liked the Zen Hulk who showed up in the Ultimates 2, I do miss him eating people...

#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

The basic concept was that his rock form was the first stage of his mutation, a cocoon from which his actual form eventually emerged. He now has energy manipulation as well as enhanced stats, if memory serves right.

That's a really, really good idea.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter said:

@spiderbat87: When was cap racist?

As much as I liked the Zen Hulk who showed up in the Ultimates 2, I do miss him eating people...

He used to make multiple slurs against French, British and anybody that's not American
#29 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

to quote m night shamalamadingdong 'what a twist!'

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: that's xenophobia not racism but either way I hate Ultimate Cap because he's pretty much the exact opposite of almost everything the Real Cap stands for

Online
#31 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: He wasn't a "racist" though. He didn't hate them because of their pasty white skin (I kid). He was definitely a nationalist, which when combined with too much zeal can be every bit as ugly and dangerous as a racist, or an overzealous anything really, but he was never racist.

I mean, you have to expect a little bit of nationalism from a guy draped in a flag using his countries name as his own, particularly when he's been plucked out of the 1940's. Also, while his comments might be a little immature I never felt like there was malice directed at each of the individuals of these differing nations. He was pretty much like a little kid saying, "Mines better that yOUrs is," in reference to his flag.

#32 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8160 posts) - - Show Bio
This was quite literally the fist thing that popped into my mind when i read the opening post x3
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34376 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe@Onemoreposter: I like to play it fast and loose with the term racist contrary to popular belief it's not just confined to skin colour 
 

 In various contexts, the terms "xenophobia" and "racism" seem to be used interchangeably, though they can have wholly different meanings (xenophobia can be based on various aspects, racism being based solely on raceethnicity , and ancestry ). Xenophobia can also be directed simply to anyone outside a culture , not necessarily one particular race or people.   

#34 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: Right, racism is based on ethnicity, but it's certainly not nationalism. Ultimate Cap wasn't a xenophobe in any sense. He took his orders from a man of african ethnicity, served with another man of nordic ethnicity, and dated a woman of asian ethnicity. Fury, Thor, and Janet are just the people off the top of my head. He's a nationalist. His offensive comments can be boiled down to, "my teams better than yours."

And I really don't care if it's politically correct or not i still love this scene.

Yeah, that made me laugh.

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34376 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter: how nice for you
#36 Posted by Aeroman (510 posts) - - Show Bio

just wondering if someone can post a pic of sue and ben confessing their love or something

#37 Posted by Oscars94 (2592 posts) - - Show Bio

WONDERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least the real Thing is still orange and rocky.

#39 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7958 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of it being a cocoon, very good. Happy for it to remain in the Ultimate universe though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.