Follow

Thing

Character » Thing appears in 8022 issues.

Ben Grimm, better known as the Thing, is the original quintessential tough-guy of the Marvel Universe. But, because of his transformation, he's also the tragic member of the Fantastic Four. Ben was an ace test-pilot until exposure to intense cosmic radiation mutated him into a rock-skinned monster with immense superhuman strength. Ben's exterior is much harder than stone which gives him a rather gruff disposition; but deep down, he has a heart of gold.

Currently, who could he defeat?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Thing started out only able to lift 5 or so tons. Now he can lift over 100 tons.
    Who in the Marvel Universe can current Thing defeat in a battle?
    Try naming some heavy weights, not heroes that would obviously get beaten by Thing

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Reed Richards.

Thing: Where's my cure?
    Richards falls into a deep depression.
     KNOCK OUT!
    Thing Wins!

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Scarbearer

No keep in mind these are all fights that he would win by the skin of his teeth and take quite a beating in the process, but there are quite a few 'Heavy weights' that while they have been 'powered up' more than Thing, I really think the diffrence maker is that he's a more skilled fighter than the other Marvel Strongmen with the possible exception of the Godlings (Thor, Hercules, Ares) So here's my list:

Colossus
    She-Hulk
    Classic Abomination
    Grey Hulk Joe Fix-it
    Wonder Man
    Blob
    Annihlus (if baited into just increasing his strength and fighting with Ben while not using the Cosmic Control Rods other abilities)

I feel like there's some other good characters that I am forgetting.  That said I think there are alot of Marvel's heavyweights that Ben can still hang with through sheer skill.  I'd love to see him get a BIG DAMN HERO moment.  He's sadly become a jobber to put over the new 'flavor of the month' and I'd love to see him get a chance to be the guy that saves the day for a change.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By warlock360

Hulk if caught off guard or not angred.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Colossus 
    Atlas 
    Drax 
    Captain Britain 
    Sub-Mariner (out of water) 
    Sasquatch 
    Ares 
    T-Bird (Exiles) 
    She-Hulk 
    Rage 
    Adam Warlock  
    Power Man (Luke Cage) 
    Charlie-27 
    Gorgon 
    Karkas (Deviant) 
    Thundra 
    Namora 
    Sunspot 
    Beast 
    Rockslide 
    Hulkling
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @PowerHerc said:
    "Colossus Atlas Drax Captain Britain Sub-Mariner (out of water) Sasquatch Ares T-Bird (Exiles) She-Hulk Rage Adam Warlock  Power Man (Luke Cage) Charlie-27 Gorgon Karkas (Deviant) Thundra Namora Sunspot Beast Rockslide Hulkling "

Rockslide isn't that strong, is he? I didn't think Beast was at that level either honestly
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Caligula
    @scarbearer: don't know if I'd put Blob and Wonder Man on there. both are pretty OP in their own right.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @scarbearer:
    Dude classic abominaton would own him, he even knocked out an angerd hulk (Well almost knock out) in 2 punchs. Evne if current thing is class 100 he still couldent take him out.
    Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scarbearer
    @Caligula:@Theworldbreaker: 

I didn't mean to imply that /any/ of those match ups would be easy,  I just think that Ben's skill, experience and grit are such that he /could/ pull off a win if he really had to and was really focused.

One thing that I think Ben has over most powerhouses, other than skill is also the fact that I think he fights hurt better than just about anyone in Marvel.  Ben is durable, but he's not near as impervious as other power houses are.  It seems like once you break about 50 tons you /can/ hurt him (though not a lot until you get up around the 75 to 85 range).  But when Ben is hurt he just keeps fighting.  Where as most of the other 'bricks' Colossus in particular, once you get to the point that you /can/ hurt him, seems to go down pretty quick.

Ben only has 'easy' fights these days against people he seriously outclasses.  I think that's why I root for him so much.  He's like the cagey heavyweight boxer that maybe isn't as fearsome as the new 'younguns' but he can still put a whupping on somebody when he really has to.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula
    @scarbearer: I like Ben too. But Blob and Wonder Man seriously outclass him. Their powersets are infinitly greater than his own.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Martian
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz
    very hard to believe that he could defeat Captain Britain especially after what has happened to CB in recent events. Super speed, Force Field, Flight and now its believed he at +100 though it has not be officially confirmed. Things stamina allows him to exert himself at peak for an hour while CB can for up to 24. I see Thing getting tired very rapido.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Caligula said:
    "

@scarbearer: I like Ben too. But Blob and Wonder Man seriously outclass him. Their powersets are infinitly greater than his own.

"

Wonder Man does, indeed, outclass the Thing.  The Blob doesn't.  Ben would kick the Blobs ass.
    ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ripcurl
    @Caligula:
    Wonderman yeah, but the Blob? If Strong Guy can beat him the Thing should be able to crush him.
    celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By celestial_man
    @Kallarkz said:
    very hard to believe that he could defeat Captain Britain especially after what has happened to CB in recent events. Super speed, Force Field, Flight and now its believed he at +100 though it has not be officially confirmed. Things stamina allows him to exert himself at peak for an hour while CB can for up to 24. I see Thing getting tired very rapido.
    i was so totally going to say that two  it wouldnt supprise me  if Current  SB could easily  go toe to toe with the likes  of SM maybe even  Thor  he is that strong

i would say that   the  thing,  Monet (M)   and  Strong guy are all evenly matched if showing  in  invisible women vanishes are anything to go by
    thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By thestarguy

Hmmm, I honestly understand why Wonder Man is being debated. Wonder Man's physical stats do outclass Ben's, but in a fight, I just don't think Wonder Man has the kind of fighting heart and spirit that Ben does. I think that's why some of us feel that Ben can take him if he has to. Same for Doc Samson, although I do think that Ben is "stronger than a calm Hulk" also. Samson just can't hang in a serious street fight.

capshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By capshield

Many of the Heavy weights he has already defeated in the comics. Wonderman, Sub Mariner(They have fought numerous times), Abomination, Dr Doom, Anihilus, Wrecker, Super Adaptoid, Sand Man, Miracle Man, Umbra, Wizard, She Hulk, Executioner (From Asgaard). His fighting skill is superior to most of his opponets and He has more heart. His basic Decency hold him back from really letting loose. Its even been a story arc in some of the FF And MTIO issues of the past. His greatest recent display of power, was in FF 601, when He takes out "4 Kree Sentry Robots" who had just destroyed Red Hulk and She Hulk! As far as strength levels are concerned, there is an issue from the classic Lee/Kirby Run where He lifts an entire Building made of Stone in New York. 100's of tons.See also his awesome display of power in the classif FF Annual 6, by Lee/Kirby. Those Lee/Kirby FF's are the greatest comics ever created!

angrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yu deserve a cookie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.