ABC's No Ordinary Family, is a superhero show

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine if he had to walk around like this, all day.

Michael Chiklis stars in  NO ORDINARY FAMILY  a new ABC super-show.  This fall’s just going to be the season for super-heroes on TV, isn't it?  HEROES has been canceled. NBC previewed THE CAPE.  And now, EW’s Hollywood Insider reports,  ABC’s got their own super-show in the pipeline.  And it stars the Thing, no less! Well, Michael Chiklis (a fellow Terrier. Go BU!)   Julie Benz of Dexter and Tate Donovan of Damages co-star. There aren’t too many other details about this new prime time drama, aside from it seeming to be about a super-powered family. I’m sure it’ll be riffing on themes similar to those in FANTASTIC FOUR and THE INCREDIBLES.

You know, when I was first writing about the first reports of the CAPE in January, I couldn’t help but notice how shows like this have been joining an expanding pantheon of superheroes created strictly for the screen. Off the top of my head, I can name HANCOCK, M.A.N.T.I.S., THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO, METEOR MAN, BLANK MAN, DEFENDOR and the RETURN OF CAPTAIN INVINCIBLE (and I’d be eager for all you Comic Vine maniacs to name the ones I’ve missed.) I think it’s intriguing to see superheroes interpreted “from the outside looking in”, so to speak. That is, how do creatives outside the fanbase view these archetypes we’re all so familiar with? Me, myself, I’d say THE INCREDIBLES probably pulled this off the best (though BLANK MAN always make me crack up. “That’s not my fingerrrrrr!!!”) That’s the only one to really capture the fun of a “shared universe” filled with an entire pantheon of larger-than-life capes. But I want to know what you in the mainstream-interpreted Comic Vine community think of this specific sub-genre? Which ones make you roll your eyes over the people “just not getting it.” Which ones do you think are actually better than characters from the comics? I want to know!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by mattydeNero (525 posts) - - Show Bio

M.A.N.T.I.S.  YES!!!
#2 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

Until I see it I will give an opinion....

#3 Posted by elevatorparty (103 posts) - - Show Bio

The english channel, e4 made "Misfits" earlier this year. Its one of the only good superhero-type show i have seen not based on any comic books.  

#4 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

cool
#5 Posted by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the greatest american hero!

#6 Posted by sysdrum (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth be told Will NBC and ABC be able to make it out alive tune in next week for the answer....

#7 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

That's DISNEY already at work... they own ABC no less. 

Speaking of ABC, I expect Tobey "Spider-Man" McGuire and Hugh "Wolverine" Jackman to start hosting ESPN Sportscenter soon! 

P.S. 
I hope they do a parody of Michael Chiklis actually making reference about Ben Grimm or the Fantastic Four.
#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@elevatorparty said:
" The english channel, e4 made "Misfits" earlier this year. Its one of the only good superhero-type show i have seen not based on any comic books.   "
Yeah, but it definitely wasn't for kinds (although I'm looking forward to the next series). 

I wouldn't mind watching this new show though.  Sounds promising :)
#9 Posted by cattlebattle (12694 posts) - - Show Bio

3 superheroes they could make a show  about other than "the cape" and this (probably) crap. 

Daredevil (they almost did int the 80's)

The punisher (it might be a bit violent)  

The Question
#10 Posted by Duncan Idunno (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you consider 'The Six Million Dollar Man' to have been a super hero developed for the 
screen? I count a velour jumpsuit as a hero's costume - imagine the sheer balls it took 
to wear something like that...added to Col. Steve Austin's other badass traits.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Punisher should get an HBO show.
#12 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

you guys shouldnt have said it was about the thing  that got my hopes up

#13 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @cattlebattle: Punisher should get an HBO show. "
oh man would that be awesome
#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
oh man would that be awesome "
I prefer Ray Stevenson to Tom Jane, so I'd like him to star in it. They could call it "Punisher:MAX" and have Garth Ennis as like an Exec. Producer. That'd be awesome.
#15 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in this. ABC's done a good job with their family comedies, so this has interesting potential.

#16 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

Incredibles is DEFINETLY a rip-off of Fantastic four.

#17 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @elevatorparty said:
" The english channel, e4 made "Misfits" earlier this year. Its one of the only good superhero-type show i have seen not based on any comic books.   "
Yeah, but it definitely wasn't for kinds (although I'm looking forward to the next series).  I wouldn't mind watching this new show though.  Sounds promising :) "
awesome show, their filming the new series in may so hopeful it'll be back by september/october
#18 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon: lol
#19 Posted by NightFang (9976 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like the Heroes are on the rise! 

#20 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

Julie Benz is like, amazing!  - she'd rock this show.

#21 Posted by aZuLPiNoY (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Since G4 already started airing Heroes reruns, I think it would be awesome if they picked up series and put new episodes out

#22 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Any one know what became of the US remake of No Heroics?
British sitcom about loser superheroes.
Had some good momments.

#23 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking of characters created for the screen, anyone remember the short lived "Misfits of Science" that aired on NBC during the 1980's?  It had Courtney Cox in it.  *crickets*   

I can't remember the names of the characters nor the other actors, but there was a tall dude who could shrink like Ant-Man,   an old guy who could control ice, a rock and roll type guy who could control electricity, and Courtney Cox's character who was a telepath/telekinetic.   I'm sure I'm missing other characters.   

#24 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@elevatorparty said:
Misfits was pretty good too :)
#25 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
" 3 superheroes they could make a show  about other than "the cape" and this (probably) crap.  Daredevil (they almost did int the 80's) The punisher (it might be a bit violent)   The Question "
A lot of the stuff that works on the page doesn't make the transition to screen well.
That's why Heroes worked. No costumes. It was put together for the screen rather than page.
#26 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @elevatorparty said:
Misfits was pretty good too :) "
Only watched 2 episodes of that on the iplayer, really enjoyed it.
#27 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait OK let me get this clear so there will be a Thing show or is it just the guy who played him showing up or starring in a show but not as the Thing?

#28 Edited by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:
I was so bummed when they cancelled that show!   

Here's another one, but it was a "movie", and I think it went straight to DVD/video.  THE SPECIALS.  It had Thomas Haden Church (Sandman from Spidey 3), Rob Lowe--yeah..and Jamie Kennedy amongst other actors.  The characters again created expressly for the movie, although they had similarities to ones we already know.  Not really any action, but it focused on the personal lives of the characters and the like.   

I recall renting it a few years ago, and it was kind of *meh* to say the least. 
#29 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9001 posts) - - Show Bio

seems cool probably will watch the pilot.

#30 Posted by PhantomHobo (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, and not a superhero per se but very much a comic book feel to it was Viper. 

#31 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio
@PhantomHobo:
Didn't that one feature a "super car" that could camouflage and do other things?  Or am I wrong?  

Here's another one that I'm not certain qualifies as a super hero but given the character had "super powers" and was a crime fighter, he may qualify.  It was "Manimal", and I think it also came out around the same time as "Misfits of Science".   

The dude could somehow morph into different animals.  I don't think they ever explained how he could, but he could morph into a panther, and I think he could also morph into a raven, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.     

#32 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
oh man would that be awesome "
I prefer Ray Stevenson to Tom Jane, so I'd like him to star in it. They could call it "Punisher:MAX" and have Garth Ennis as like an Exec. Producer. That'd be awesome. "
ray stevenson would be great.  and i dont think it HAS to be MAX i mean theyd get more viewers if its Marvel Knights: Punisher.  and if its a hit they could have other Marvel Knights storylines.
#33 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

you actually like blankman????
#34 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

A television show based on a comic book character is a no brainer. Unfortunately most television execs heads are full of straw!!! So we get these knockoff series which dance around the legal issues associated with the trademarks of certain characters and thus we don’t get quality stories. In the end, if Disney-ABC-ESPN-Marvel do decide to produce a television series, I think that would be a great idea. Especially for some of the series tha’re not well suited to being turn’d into movies. 

#35 Posted by Ms. Omega (4432 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey:

I like Blankman too its soo bad its good

#36 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this will do really well.  I can't wait to see it.  =)
#37 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
"@PhantomHobo: Didn't that one feature a "super car" that could camouflage and do other things?  Or am I wrong?   Here's another one that I'm not certain qualifies as a super hero but given the character had "super powers" and was a crime fighter, he may qualify.  It was "Manimal", and I think it also came out around the same time as "Misfits of Science".    The dude could somehow morph into different animals.  I don't think they ever explained how he could, but he could morph into a panther, and I think he could also morph into a raven, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.       "

He also morphed into a cat and a dog.  I remember that show fondly.
#38 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, really not expecting this to be good. It seems to be kinda going in an Incredibles angle (or Fantastic Four, as pointed out) but I don't see how you can really make that work in TV series.

#39 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Orgazmo.
Professor Chaos, The Coon, and Mysterion.
(pre-comics) Buffy. 

#40 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

You missed Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog....

#41 Posted by Top Flight Security (142 posts) - - Show Bio

#42 Posted by MSBoyd23 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe change the name. 

#43 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh.. why cant they make a Fantastic Four series or an X-men one? Those would rock n roll.

The handsome Ben.

#44 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9001 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the trailer on kryptonsite.com and I am really excited and this might be my new favorite show.

#45 Posted by batman2000 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Why all calling Thing ugly????? He i'snt ugly. Hulk is actially ugly.
#46 Posted by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a pretty good show.  Chiklis is good in it.
#47 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah its a good show.  Been watching it from the start.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.