When British Comic Books Were Really American Comic Books

Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets play a game of...

Spot The Difference!
Did you spot it? 

The comic on the left is American, while the comic on the right is British.  It's not a Marvel UK title, though! 

p & ¢
These days, all the comics that Marvel produce have the cover price in US dollars.  But many years ago it was a different story.  What they used to do was print all the issues for the American market... and then print a small amount with a British price conversion.  So if they printed 95% of their comics in ¢ (Cents) then the remaining 5% would be printed in p (Pence).  I'm only using the percentages as an example.   

In the past, no-one really knew any difference.  But with growing dependence on the internet traders began to struggle to sell these British back issues since some purist collectors thought they weren't real American comics.  The truth is, they are.  They were printed in the US and shipped overseas for a British market.  They even feature the same American adverts for X-Ray Specs, puzzles, tricks & other gimmicks from the 70's.  The only difference is the cover.  The banner across the top (boasting to the British that Marvel comics were available  in colour) and the price conversion are literally the only difference.   

They're considered as the same cover so it doesn't even count as a variant cover ;) 

Personally, I'm not bothered about whether my comics say pence or cents.  As I sorted through some of my back issues earlier today, I discovered that I had quite a few of these British converted issues.  I still have a lot of gaps in my collection from around that era, so I wonder how many more I'll end up with...  
#1 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

cool!

#2 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel Comics Group is Orange on one and Yellow on the other.

#3 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

and the British one says 'colour'. LOL, interesting to know!

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: And it spells 'Colour', correctly ;)
#5 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: I know, someone said I spelled it wrong in my Pink post, but I was like, you're wrong! LOL
#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: Heh heh heh... well, it's the only place that it'll be spelt like that in the issue.  The rest of the comic is completely unedited.  Therefore everything else is pure American spelling ;)
#7 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Really? Huh, we must have seemed like really bahd spellrz. :D
#8 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Banshee also looks more treacherous on the British one.

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: N'ah, but I can image a few Brit growing up having trouble with their English teachers ;) 

@Jotham: *snort* In that issue he's really out to beat the crap out of Vindicator because he'd hurt Moira (awww, bless!)
#10 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Are you from England, Kitty? I feel like I'm asking an obvious question. 
#11 Posted by BKole (501 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, a fellow Brit in the lands of Comics. I didn't realise. Or maybe I did and forgot. I don't remember things. 

I remember the English "reprints" of Turtles Comics, which started off as Archie TMNT Adventures Reprints and then changed into something else entirely with Richard Elson doing the art for it. Awesome stuff.

#12 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira: @BKole: Oh yes, an English girl with an American hobby ;)  Although I did grow up with My Little Pony, Care Bears & Marvel UK comics.  My first taster of Power Pack was as reprints in the back of my brother's Thundercats comics :)
#13 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Ooh, Cool!
#14 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were in an American school, being the person I am that is. I'll still put the u in things like honour, colour, favour and favourite etc. If they mark me down, screw them!

#15 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

Did not know that. Thanks for the info.
#16 Posted by guuthulhu (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they do a reverse of that? I swear I've seen a few Marvel UK comics with US pricings on them.

#17 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @TypingKira: And it spells 'Colour', correctly ;) "
Yes the REAL spelling. Nothing I hate more the typing and getting corrected by American spell-check.

@TypingKira
said:
" @xerox-kitty: Really? Huh, we must have seemed like really bahd spellrz. :D "
When I first read Batman: Long Halloween there was one thing that Bats kept saying that was spelt differently than from Australian Spelling. I nearly through the book on the floor it got so annoying.
#18 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawkeye446: What I hate is when you spell words like 'dialogue' and the thing--it's doing it right now!!! American spell check can't spell dialogue!
#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: Don't forget Centre, cooker or oven instead of stove, pavement instead of sidewalk, telly intead of TV ;) 

@TypingKira:  Change your brower's/computer's dictionary.  Then it can tell you everything's wrong when you try & spell the American way on Comic Vine ;) 

@guuthulhu:  I don't know.  I've read about it this way around, but it'd be cool if Marvel UK exported to the US as well :) 

@Hawkeye446:  What did Batman spell wrong?
#20 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

In English comics, do they make fun of the Welsh?

#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut: No, why?  Captain Britain's ally Dai Thomas is Welsh (or at least has a Welsh name :)
#22 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Haha I've just heard from a lot of my British friends that the Welsh aren't particularly well liked. 
#23 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

The english one is better ;p

#24 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  I can't quite remember, I will look for it now, hopefully I can fiind it.

@TypingKira: Haha, you think something that so many people rely on would work :D 
#25 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue promotes Canadian on Canadian violence. Not cool guys.

#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut said:
" @xerox-kitty: Haha I've just heard from a lot of my British friends that the Welsh aren't particularly well liked.  "
Ah, well most neighbouring countries have their centuries old rivalries... but I like it in Wales, so I wont make any comments about sexy sheep ;) 

@EisforExtinction: N'ah, that's just the cover.  Inside it features Canadian on the Rest Of The World violence.  Especially on the Scottish (poor Moira takes the brunt of it)
#27 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: She gets hurt playing hockey right?
#28 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction: Now you know the real reason Eugene Judd was called Puck... it had nothing to do with Shakespeare!
#29 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @EisforExtinction: Now you know the real reason Eugene Judd was called Puck... it had nothing to do with Shakespeare! "
I knew it!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.