raven575's The X-Men #1 - X-Men review

Well...It's a start

So X-Men #1, from 1963. Now, I have been reading comics since I was about 9 years old, I have read and enjoyed books from many different genres and eras. I have never really read an iconic title (one with more than 500 books) from beginning to end. Thanks to this new digital age of comics, this task is easier than ever before. So here I go, X-Men, start to finish.

I am starting this in 2012, so I realize that printing and design equipment has come extremely far since 1963, but most of my issues with this book aren't from the classic Jack Kirby drawings, it's from Stan Lee's horrible writing. The dialogue seems disjointed and awkward, but the worst part is that it seems like Stan had no knowledge of how magnetism actually works.

TLDR: Scott Summers (Cyclops) is named Slim, all of the men are horny pigs, Jean is a piece of ass, Professor X is a dick and I'm gonna hate slugging through Stan Lee's writing.

Other reviews for The X-Men #1 - X-Men

X-Men 0

So by now it's been, what, six months since Marvel's newest full-time superhero made his debut in Tales of Suspense 39? So yeah, it's about time we got somebody new to read about now that The Incredible Hulk has been sent packing—and that we do. In fact, we get six new heroes somewhat out of the blue here with the introduction of the X-Men.As far as origin stories go, this one is one of the better ones so far (behind Spider-Man and Iron Man), though you can tell that Stan and company view the pr...

Seven characters introduced 0

The X-Men series gets a decent start with the introductions of Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Magneto, Marvel Girl, and Professor X. While not exactly an origin story for any them, it helps establish a few facts  *Professor X is loaded, with a private mansion, a modified Rolls Royce and a jet. He gives a brief mention of both of his parents working in the Atomic bomb project. Too bad this clue will only be explored further in his father's origin instead of his mother's. He mentions facing prejud...