Why Now is the Perfect Time for Fear The Walking Dead

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

With the most recent season over of The Walking Dead, normally, most fans of the show would have to wait months for the next season. Luckily, The Walking Dead spin-off is debuting this summer and this past Sunday, during the season finale, the promo aired for Fear The Walking Dead.

It's no secret The Walking Dead is a polarizing show. You either love it or hate it, or you watch it every week, almost religiously, then tell Twitter how much you hate it. Regardless, even though, at times, the zombie genre feels like it has been done to death, people cannot get enough of The Walking Dead, so why not do a spin-off?

Fear The Walking Dead, the spin-off from The Walking Dead, is doing things a lot different than a traditional spin-off would do. Normally, a spin-off show revolves around one of the more lovable characters from the main series and a majority of the time, it takes place after the events of the show where said character came from.

No Caption Provided

This new spin-off breaks away from that formula and takes a look at what's happening in the rest of the world, while under the zombie apocalypse. On top of that, it takes place during the first outbreaks in Los Angeles. While the building relationships and the daily survival are the key to what makes The Walking Dead run, the early days of the outbreak are something every fan wants to see, but you simply can't do it with where the show is at right now.

The Walking Dead is 5 seasons in, and the show is huge, but the problem many people who haven't seen the show yet but want to get into it is that there's almost 70 episodes of the show to get through. That can be an extremely daunting task for someone new to the show and while there are quite a few people who don't mind binging on Netflix to catch up on the show, it can be a bit much.

Fear The Walking Dead puts everyone at square one, from those who have been fans since the beginning, to those who have been interested but just haven't had the time to blaze through the AMC hit. The only real connection that this show has, that we currently know of, is that it takes place in the same world as The Walking Dead, but on the other side of the country in L.A.

No Caption Provided

On top of that, it takes place before man was fighting man and zombie for survival. How this virus works, which was actually explained in the first season of The Walking Dead, isn't as cool as seeing it spread and people's first reactions to it all, and that's what it looks like fans will get treated to.

On top of that, Fear the Walking Dead isn't as tied to The Walking Dead as the comic is, which is pretty important for not just new viewers, but everyone checking out the show. Fans of the comic expect a certain amount things, story and character-wise, to remain true to the comics, and sometimes, when things don't go that way, it can alienate fans of the books. With Fear the Walking Dead, there's little to nothing to worry about. The show should stay true to the world that's already been created, but the showrunners don't have to worry about much else. There's a limited amount of rules to follow about who these characters should be and where the story can progress to.

With The Walking Dead just airing its season finale, there's going to be a lull, so Fear can fill that lull for fans who can't get enough of the show. However, that does beg the question "is this going to over-saturate the market?" It's completely fair too, since zombies have been the "in thing" for the past few years and there's already many people that find the genre completely passe. The key to keeping this fresh is to simply keep the stories compelling and give it a completely separate look and feel from the original show. If a story feels to similar to something that's happened on The Walking Dead, it's going to be obvious.

No Caption Provided

All we can do now is wait and see how the show is going to turn out, but one thing is for sure, the concept seems to be pretty awesome as folks really want to see the early days of the virus outbreak. We'll just have to wait and see for when Fear the Walking Dead comes to AMC this summer.

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
    SolomonGrundySM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It needs a better name

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego

Regardless, even though, at times, the zombie genre feels like it has been done to death

No pun intended?

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm definitely going to be watching this!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

This looks cool and everything but those recent Night of the Living Dead comics had me hoping they'd do something a bit more interesting. Personally I'd like to see a sort of anthology series that follows different groups all over the place. What exactly happens to the military or the army? What about the colder states or Canada? What about Mexico or even other parts of the world?

Maybe they don't actually want to reveal any of this but that's what I'm most interested in.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hey look ever body, it's Robert Kirkman!!!

No Caption Provided
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

I agree that the name is bad, but the show seems promising. I just wonder how it will develop. I believe show runners have said that it will catch up to the current Walking Dead at some point, but I hate to see them rush through the years. You could do a Summer's worth of shows just on the first couple of months, and several more seasons on the remaining governments of the world trying to find a way to combat the plague the last bastions of civilizations fall one by one.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@judasnixon: :p

When's that Invincible Movie coming? :D

This series could be really good, or really annoying if we get tired of the characters being noobs.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This so does not require a new show. I am bored to pieces by Walking Dead at times as it is. If they have good new ideas they should use them in Walking Dead. If they want to branch out, just branch out. If they want TWD on all year long, just have TWD on all year long.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might as well give it a shot, I guess. Most of my shows are either on break (Banshee, Black Sails, Homeland, The Affair, Strike Back), or are ending (Justified). I have some room...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this idea. I don't want there to be too many zombie shoes on TV, and spinoffs are usually worse than the original. Part of the reason the hype for the walking dead premiere is so big is because of the long wait. I don't need a knockoff to hold me over, I can wait.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

It needs a better name

Actually, the name fits well. Because people haven't face the real zombie threat, which started their new fear. It makes sense why it's called Fear The Walking Dead.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will give it a shot...

Have you guys skipped the Flash and Arrow reviews this week??? Is everything okay???

Avatar image for barstoolprophet
    BarstoolProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with Mat pretty much all the way on this. I'm just a casual fan of the series(really liked the first season the most, but watched rabidly until season 4, where I gave up on week to week watching it), though I love the comic series wholeheartedly. There's a good chance of of over saturation, but I'm intrigued by the basic premise of going back to the outbreak, and the idea that it's the same world, but knowing none of the characters may actually heighten the suspense and surprise. Will definately check it out, but with a caveat that if it begins to feel too similar to TWD, I'm off the boat.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

i hope its good.

I love zombie stuff while it's happening in the moment.

~MiB

ankarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ankarian

I hope this new series be similar even to comics or with more action, because the season 5 all of the walking dead was a failure! the episode 16 was the worst end of the series with anomalies and surrealism!

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will give it a shot...

Have you guys skipped the Flash and Arrow reviews this week??? Is everything okay???

I know right? like what the hell lol. Especially Flash, we just got the whole Eobard Thawne/Reverse Flash/Zoom backstory and not one article on it CV?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 inferiorego  Staff

@awesomeperson said:

I will give it a shot...

I know right? like what the hell lol. Especially Flash, we just got the whole Eobard Thawne/Reverse Flash/Zoom backstory and not one article on it CV?

I've been travelling from Chicago to Seattle to Anaheim right now for conventions. I haven't had too much time on the computer. Sorry guys

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: It's ok, I don't blame you. I thought everyone who works for CV hears the news. That must be tough that they make you do all of that, too much stuff to cover for one guy you know? Besides, you were the first to review The MK X comics I think totally appreciate it!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: It's ok, I don't blame you. I thought everyone who works for CV hears the news. That must be tough that they make you do all of that, too much stuff to cover for one guy you know? Besides, you were the first to review The MK X comics I think totally appreciate it!

Here's a secret..... new MK X interview coming.... soon!

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.