eiderglast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By eiderglast
    No Caption Provided

Zombies. I think the resurgence of zombies (George Romero's version anyway), can be attributed firstly to video games such as Resident Evil. And though most would not be pleased to admit, the Resident Evil movies (with Milla Jovovich). But let's go back to why The Walking Dead series is great.

Protagonist: Rick Grimes. I love how very human and real Rick is always portrayed by writer Robert Kirkman. At every situation, I can't help but emphatize how Rick Grimes is able to overcome it. And despite the situations, he is still very well adjusted in making certain decisions (although there are lapses here and there, but that makes him more real as a character.).

Michonne- sword wielding and the toughest member of these survivors... if I was in a zombie apocalypse, I'd be grateful to have her with me by my side.

Andrea- most proficient gun wielder of the group. You need her to hold off an incoming army of invaders.Or zombies.

Glenn- wingman of Rick Grimes. Great at scavenging and hotwiring cars. And I like the fact that he represents the character who is still squeamish of the harsh realities that is surrounding them.

The Governor- a great example how dictators come to be, and why people follow him. I hope they'll do justice on his televison version.

Writing: Robert Kirkman is so far my most favorite comic book writer to date. I like how well structured his plots are, and the way his comics are building up. The stories are obviously finite. Which is why I like it the most. I think I've outgrown the concept of characters going on for decades and still are either fifteen years old or are still single wooing the same girl over and over again... and then it gets tired and they either get retconned (emphasis on conned) , or given another spin to somehow make them youthful again (Magneto). In Walking Dead, the story travels literally from one end to another, and when you know a character gets killed, you know they either come back as zombies... or get killed off permanently.

Art: Though the artist changed after a number of issues, the difference was just slight, and it gave it a more gritty, look. Tony Moore's art was crisp and fine looking, while Charlie Adlard provided a grimmer, melancholy (like Joe Kubert) take on the character's faces (specifically Rick Grimes').

Colors: it's plainly done in shades of grey, black and white. The tv series is ok, but somehow, the black and white makes it more look bleaker.

Overall, I love what Robert Kirkman has done to this series (and continues do so). And I think pretty soon, comic books will be done this way... with an ending... and no more of the retcons....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.