'The Walking Dead' TV Spinoff Show Announced

• 52 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (34944 posts) - - Show Bio

AMC wants to give you even more zombie goodness. Today the channel has announced a The Walking Dead spinoff series is in the "initial stages of developing." Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are all confirmed as executive produces and of course AMC Studios will produce. The new program is expected to hit your TV as soon as 2015.

AMC's president and general manager, Charlie Collier, said, "Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no brainer." Collier also confirmed this will be an "entirely new story and cast of characters." The executive stated the world's a big place and they're excited to give everyone another "unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse." Additionally, Kirkman says he's thrilled to create an all-new corner in the universe. "The opportunity to make a show that isn't tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing."

The Walking Dead's fourth season will return on October 13th.

Source: TVLine

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

Milking iiiitttt.

#2 Posted by TommytheHitman (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

??? I'm not sure I like this idea...

#3 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

The Running Dead?

#4 Posted by Bonzi161 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I have learned over the years to just trust Kirkman... he can do no wrong

#5 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea it's a series not tied to the events going on in the comic, but... I feel like this isn't necessary.

Staff
#6 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew that there was no point in me posting this dang it

I'm kind of excited...I hate waiting between seasons so maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a season of the Wallking Dead and then a season of whatever this is going to be called then another season of Walking Dead and so on...it's a win win scenario

#7 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman says he's thrilled to create an all-new corner in the universe. he also said the money isnt bad either and that he is pro milking it to dust.

#8 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we really need this. Will try it though as I love the normal series.

#9 Posted by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#10 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (534 posts) - - Show Bio

This probably doesn't need to happen...this is the moment we will look back on when The Walking Dead becomes overplayed and overdone.

Still, consider me interested.

#11 Posted by IrishX (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea it's a series not tied to the events going on in the comic, but... I feel like this isn't necessary.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (26080 posts) - - Show Bio

Milk that zombie cow for all it's worth!

#13 Edited by Grim (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

@bonzi161 said:

i trust Robert when he's the leader of something. But there are 9 other writers on staff with him for WD, and 9 different directors. So... the image aint so much his as he gets a say in it.

totally not. The ONLY way this idea could be worth it to me is if they used it to introduce characters who would turn up in the main show as fodder. Like a season of this show about a guy and all his loss and suffering and badassness... and then he shows up and gets brutalized within 3 episodes. That would enhance the main show, and i would approve.

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7984 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. If it' turns out as bad as last season, then I don't really care.

#15 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx said:
@inferiorego said:

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.

@grim said:

@bonzi161 said:

i trust Robert when he's the leader of something. But there are 9 other writers on staff with him for WD, and 9 different directors. So... the image aint so much his as he gets a say in it.

@inferiorego said:

totally not. The ONLY way this idea could be worth it to me is if they used it to introduce characters who would turn up in the main show as fodder. Like a season of this show about a guy and all his loss and suffering and badassness... and then he shows up and gets brutalized within 3 episodes. That would enhance the main show, and i would approve.

I hope it turns out great though. I'm trying to keep my fanboyness at bay.

Staff
#16 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

And so it begins. The Walking Dead: Miami, The Walking Dead: New York, The Walking Dead: Los Angeles, The Walking Dead: Las Vegas, etc.

#17 Posted by Renchamp (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish it were more of an appendix to the main series. Show us back stories of some of the minor cast that won't be highlighted. It would be cool to see an Andrea and Amy story where they meet up with Dale. Or Jim the mechanic's terrible story. Or what Tyreese has been doing this whole time. Supplement us!

Having said that, I'll watch every episode to get this new take, good or bad.

#18 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, there's a lot of negativity on here.

My first thought was "Cool!"

#19 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dead Walking.

Story about a group of zombies trying to make it big in the world. Watch as they try to feast on the human survivors!

#20 Edited by Ms. Omega (4543 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dead Walking.

Story about a group of zombies trying to make it big in the world. Watch as they try to feast on the human survivors!

I would so watch that :)

#21 Edited by laabitres (472 posts) - - Show Bio

id watch it

#22 Posted by ptigrusmagus (495 posts) - - Show Bio

and The Walking Dead is jumping the shark

#23 Posted by MrMazz (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

and like that any hope of AMC becoming a critical and artistic powerhouse after Breaking Bad and Mad Men end have vanished.

#24 Edited by Bluefox170 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not getting this backlash at all. The Walking Dead universe is genius and Kirkman really knows how to turn a hopeless situation into a poetic action packed storyline. What's wrong with more quality television in a world full of storage wars, kardashians, and excruciating talent shows?

#25 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see the early stages of the outbreak and how the government and society handled the rapid fall, but at the same time that would destroy the mysticism of the show.

#26 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Think maybe they'll get off the east coast? Maybe see what the west is dealing with?

Or just "The Adventures of Dayle."

#27 Edited by teddy_the_god_killer (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, some of these comments...strange how 90% of the people on this site will buy multiple simultaneous series of the same bloody character but be so negative towards a simple add on to a great TV show/comic series. Who is to say what it would be like? Perhaps it will focus on some crazy hillybilly group of people (apologies if that is offensive, not used to American PC) tearing across cities and countryside like something out of the classic films causing madness and mayhem, or perhaps it looks at the remaining military/political forces trying to retake the world. There is loads of scope when one is not tied to the original comic. So yeah, bring it on, I cannot wait to see his ideas.

#28 Posted by Michael_Moran (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been suggesting this for a while

#30 Edited by XxHeavyRainxX (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, they're milking it, but I don't mind as long as Robert Kirkman is still creatively involved. I've grown to really trust this guy with great stuff.

#31 Posted by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

The poor cow.

#32 Edited by sentryman555 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like this is already being done with the walking dead game. Though it would be interesting to see a setting in New York or LA. Somewhere big that's less open fields and more city mayhem.

#33 Posted by manwithoutshame (654 posts) - - Show Bio

Walking Dead SVU, I like it! Let's get Michael Madsen in on this.

#34 Posted by viin (694 posts) - - Show Bio

With all that money coming in I would have hoped they would of made the regular show better.

#36 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8084 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by pauatt (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. I've constantly wondered what's going on in the rest of the world. There is literally tons of stories you can tell in a zombie apocalypse.

#38 Edited by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by nerdork (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

If the story is well written, the actors properly cast and the visual quality is on par with the main series; necessary or not, I will definitely enjoy it.

@pauatt said:

I like it. I've constantly wondered what's going on in the rest of the world. There are literally tons of stories you can tell in a zombie apocalypse.

Agreed!

#40 Posted by Holuntron (193 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds about as necessary as Better Call Saul.

#41 Posted by ARMIV2 (8854 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooooh, eeh I don't know about this...
Could it be a mini-series? Please?

#42 Edited by Super_SoldierXII (6625 posts) - - Show Bio

The original series is already growing dull. It's lost the creepy, survival, shocking value infested "X" factor that originally made it so appealing.

There's only so much human depravity and zombie bashing one can see before it gets old IMHO. Another series highlighting such feels redundant. I'll probably watch a few episodes all the same.

#43 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh... either the spin-off will do bad, or burn the series out faster.

#44 Posted by naylor11 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

My only concern is when the shows cross over cause that'll be inevitable. If the spin off isn't good then they'll crossover with rick and his gang to boost ratings. Could be interesting if they do it right though

#45 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanna know how to make this show an instant success? Put Ron Perlman in it.

#46 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Its starting to get out of hand. Second half of last season absolutely SUCKED and they already wanna have a spin-off? Urgh...

#47 Posted by Dud317 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Over saturation may lead to sub par story telling and a cancelation. I'm calling it now, the two shows will cross paths and you'll see it from both sides. It could be cool for a very short time, but it is completely unnecessary.

#48 Posted by Dstick88 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

And so it begins. The Walking Dead: Miami, The Walking Dead: New York, The Walking Dead: Los Angeles, The Walking Dead: Las Vegas, etc.

lol this

#49 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooooo, the show is going to be about a group of survivors against the zombies....

Spin-offs are not supposed to be 100% identical to the parent show! They are supposed to go in a slightly different direction! Hence the word 'spin-off'.

#50 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7084 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.