'The Walking Dead' Season 3 Casting Spoiler

Posted by G-Man (36811 posts) - - Show Bio

The second season of AMC's The Walking Dead had its high and low points. Needless to say, the second season ended with quite a bang. Back in February, it was announced that David Morrissey was cast as the Governor, the leader of Woodbury. That gives us an idea what we can expect in the third season.

Immediately follow last night's finale, another casting announcement has been made. You have already been informed that if you have not seen the episode, continuing further will result in being spoiled about another character that will be appearing. Proceed at your own risk.

== TEASER ==

In the finale, we saw a familiar looking character, with a sword and a couple zombies in tow. We all know what that means. Michonne is now part of the show!

Danai Gurira (from the HBO show Treme) has been cast as the sword wielding survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

With the hints at the Governor and the prison, the third season could prove to be pretty intense. It'll be interesting to see how closely the next season will follow Michonne's story, especially since it's taken quite a few liberties during the second season. Let's hope she's every bit the badass she is in the comics.

How many days now until the third season begins?

#1 Posted by ThePRez (288 posts) - - Show Bio

wow shes stunning

#2 Posted by Thunderscream (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like they used Danai to create Michonne. Perfectly cast physically, dunno much about her acting chops though

#3 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. And im so glad they are finally putting the steel into Andrea's Character. Shes hardcore in the comic, but the show was making her all talk. Nice to see that bite! AND CARL! :)

stoked for next season

#4 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure I commented that Danai Gurira would be Michonne in the Walking Dead 2x13 recap!

I personally think this is a great casting choice. People who appear in HBO shows can just plain act, so I have no worries about her acting chops. Plus Gurira looks about as close as a real-life counterpart could for Michonne.

@Grim said:

Nice. And im so glad they are finally putting the steel into Andrea's Character. Shes hardcore in the comic, but the show was making her all talk. Nice to see that bite! AND CARL! :)

stoked for next season

I agree about Andrea. In my mind she's Rick's true number 2, at least since Tyreese bit the dust, so I'd love to see her develop into even more of a badass in the show. Michonne almost shouldn't have had to save Andrea in the forest!

#5 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickoreo_LZ: yeah i kinda wish they had her fall back to the rifle and get some cool shots off before the save happened. But the fact is she survived the farm and the forest practically alone during a herd. Im satisfied. Now when she starts obliterating walkers it'll be believable

#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

Tyreeeeeeeeeese needs to appear soooon

#7 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

When she appeared I almost had a geek induced heart attack

#8 Posted by Ms. Omega (4508 posts) - - Show Bio

Extreme JOYGASM!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

oh goody!

#10 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like a lot of people are excited about this casting

#11 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved last nights episode, but i have a few questions regarding the next season. Has Tyrese been replaced by T-dawg? Will Daryl now act as a sudo Tyreese now that he has a relationship (not romantic yet) with Carrol? Will Laurie'c character die or turn into a worthwhile member of the group (hopes for either). Man i cant wait for season 3!

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33974 posts) - - Show Bio
@SavageDragon said:

I loved last nights episode, but i have a few questions regarding the next season. Has Tyrese been replaced by T-dawg? Will Daryl now act as a sudo Tyreese now that he has a relationship (not romantic yet) with Carrol? Will Laurie'c character die or turn into a worthwhile member of the group (hopes for either). Man i cant wait for season 3!

If T-Dog is Tyrese (Daryl wont replace him, Kirkman already said that) I hope they give him the gym scene, that was BADASS. Also I hope they keep who Michonnes's two zombies are.
#13 Posted by CookieVonDoom (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

When she appeared I almost had a geek induced heart attack

#14 Posted by The Impersonator (5555 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking the third season will return in October this year. Right? =P

#15 Posted by NightFang (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePRez said:

wow shes stunning

#16 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

How many days now until the third season begins?

Too many. My Sundays now have a dark spot on their lungs. \:

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she can do the role fine. I remember her from an episode of Law and Order, but other than that not really familiar with her. She already did slash that katana blade wonderfully so far!

#18 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

finally Michonne yes

#19 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

She already did slash that katana blade wonderfully so far!

That was a stand-in. Her actual screen time doesn't begin until Season 3. Kirkman states to have the utmost faith in both her and how the character will be represented as far as the comic fans are concerned though, as well states to have had a hand in choosing her for the role.

#20 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: Well that would make sense considering Danai Gurira is virtually unknown. Well okay not totally unknown but definitely less experienced than others. I mean from what I know she only has 6 movies and 6 television programs to her credit so far on top of her playright stuff she does.

#21 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: I'm lost on what part of what I said that makes sense of (none of what I stated was a question?), sorry. * didn't you just state you weren't familiar with this actress other than seeing her briefly on one show? O_o)

#22 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: Well by how you were posting it sounded like you meant that Kirkman wants the fans to have the utmost faith in this choice of an actress for playing Michonne and its therefore better to have her start out next season than to have had her on the end of this season considering how little known she is. And yes, I was unfamiliar with her...before I researched her filmography :)

#23 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: He didn't say anything of the like but okay. There's a show that airs directly after each episode called the Talking Dead where the series is discussed, and after this episode Kirkman was on explaining everything. Otherwise I found an article that focuses just on his views and posted it here if you like (I have no clue why it's in OT).

#24 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio

It's great that they are adding in a new character -- partly because they've already killed off so many. lol She seems interesting enough, but Ive sadly kind of checked out of this series. I did enjoy those first two seasons, but I'm just not attached to anyone in this cast. Its not like when I watched BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I was interested in the relationship between Boomer (later renamed Athena) and her partner Helo. It was an interesting twisted-romance of deceit and love.

This recent season of THE WALKING DEAD has done more to make much of their cast rather unlikeable. Sure, Rick is an interesting character. In contrast, his wife has acted bipolar since season two, and I can't even bring myself to care about his kid.

#25 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

sick!

#26 Posted by hotsaucemagik (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Duders,

Not having read the comics, How does Michonne fit into the universe? So far we haven't seen anything that isn't totally ridiculous...but then a hooded figure with a kitana and armless zombies in tow happened....

Do things get a little crazier or is this explained at all in the comics?

#27 Posted by Grimwyrd (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@hotsaucemagik said:

Duders,

Not having read the comics, How does Michonne fit into the universe? So far we haven't seen anything that isn't totally ridiculous...but then a hooded figure with a kitana and armless zombies in tow happened....

Do things get a little crazier or is this explained at all in the comics?

She fits in as your typical done to death, super cliché, sword swinging, tough as nails, get er done at almost any cost, warrior woman. And yes her whole deal is explained in the comics. Does it make any sense in the comics and will it make any sense on TV? That will have to be up to you to decide.

#28 Posted by Blue_Shield (761 posts) - - Show Bio

Season 3 can't get here soon enough!

#29 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

BOW BEFORE MICHONNE!!!!! BRING ON TYRESE!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.