The Walking Dead Recap: Season 2, Episode 2 "Bloodletting"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Walking Dead on AMC is doing great. If you're like me, then you've been loving the show, even if it does take some liberties from the original source material. Hopefully if you're reading this, you've at least watched the first episode of this season.

The first episode leaves us off with Shane, Rick, and Carl in the woods searching for Carol's daughter, Sophia, who had a bit of a scare during a group of roamers walked through their camp on the highway, and she got lost running away from a couple of walkers. Shane, Rick, and Carl see a buck, and Carl slowly approaches it. The buck gets shot and apparently, so does Carl. Fade to black!

No Caption Provided

Episode two aired last night, and it was pretty awesome. Beware, what you're about to read is filled with spoilers from last night's episode, so if you haven't seen the episode and don't want it ruined for you, stop reading now.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Episode two starts off with a flashback scene of Lori talking to a friend. Shane pulls up and tells Lori that Rick was shot (Ep: 101). Lori tells Carl what happened. Cut to the current time line, Carl is shot, right in front of Shane and Rick. Otis comes out and claims it was an accident. Rick rushes Carl to a farm house down the road (sound familiar?). They are greeted by Hershel, who is a physician or sorts (Veterinarian). Hershel's family helps Carl as much as they can, but Carl needs a blood transfusion. Luckily, Rick is the same blood type.

No Caption Provided

Meanwhile, Lori, Glenn, Andrea, Daryl, and Carol continue looking for Sophia (Carol's daughter). Dale and T-Dog pretend to work on the RV, which is fixed. Dale keeps the group thinking it's broken so that they won't leave without everyone. However, T-Dog's cut on his arm is becoming infected and his decision making abilities are become harsh and cold as he tells Dale they should leave without everyone.

No Caption Provided

Back at the farm, even though Rick has been giving Carl his blood, Carl still isn't getting better. Hershel needs to do some surgery, but they don't have to proper tools to do so. There is a school down the road with a FEMA trailer that has the tools they need. Shane and Otis decide they will head there.

No Caption Provided

Back in the woods, Andrea is attacked by a roamer, and is saved by Hershel's daughter, riding a horse. The daughter picks up Lori and takes her back to the farmhouse where she finds out Hershel is a veterinarian, not an actual doctor.

The rest of the group makes is back to Dale and T-Dog at the RV, and Daryl has antibiotics and pain killers for T-Dog, along with a whole bunch of other drugs.

No Caption Provided

Shane and Otis make their way to the school and find it's packed with roamers. They grab the roamers attention by tossing road flares from a cop car away from the trailer they need to head into. Shane and Otis grab what they need, but as they leave, the roamers know they're there and the chase is on. Shane and Otis end up trapped inside the school as Carl slowly comes closer and closer to death.

No Caption Provided

There's a few cool moments in this episode if you're a fan of the comic book series. Once again, this show is back on track with following the book pretty darn well: Carl getting shot, the farm house, Otis and Hershel.

It's not a bad thing that the show diverged from the book, but it's cool to see specific moments from early on in the comic book series on television. Every time I saw that farmhouse in the background (way off in the background, and you see it maybe twice), I got shivers down my spine.

Coolest moment of the episode, by far, is the ending with Otis and Shane being chased by all the roamers. This episode isn't action packed, and it's more dialogue than anything else, so a nice climax featuring the undead is a cool way to finish off the episode.

Because this season is following the comic series a bit more, does that mean we'll get to see what's in the barn soon? Does that also mean the group will get to the prison? What do you guys think will happen?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

I am glad they are finally at the farm.

crowncoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By crowncoke

I hope that they keep up the flavor all season long. Love this show.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@crowncoke said:

I hope that they keep up the flavor all season long. Love this show.

Same. I've been loving this season so far. Perfect balance of action and drama

fifichiapet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fifichiapet

In paragraph 5 there are a few instances where you say Glen but mean Dale, fyi.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

God, I forgot Carl was even shot in the books. I need to reread the early issues. I wonder if the season will end with them at the prison.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

I really need to start watching the walking dead.
    BB

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

@Billy Batson: Yes you do. Read it too.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@fifichiapet said:

Thanks,.... That was just my sub-conscious wishing Glenn did more in this episode.

Seriously, all they did with Glenn in 202 was give him a close-up when things felt awkward.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

@Daveyo520:

already am.
    BB

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daveyo520

@inferiorego: Glenn needs to do more on the show in general. He is hardly one of the main characters like he is in the books.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Daveyo520 said:

@inferiorego: Glenn needs to do more on the show in general. He is hardly one of the main characters like he is in the books.

QFT

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12  Edited By Decept-O

This show is awesome. Kind of glad I haven't read the comic series, actually, only because all of it will be "new" to me with each episode. Great show, first one I've been excited about in a long time, something I look forward to when it airs. Keeps getting better, and hope the trend continues!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daveyo520

@inferiorego: I mean he is hardly a main character on the show when he should be.

I just learned that that means quoted for truth. For years I have thought that meant, quit fing talking.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

@Decept-O said:

This show is awesome. Kind of glad I haven't read the comic series, actually, only because all of it will be "new" to me with each episode. Great show, first one I've been excited about in a long time, something I look forward to when it airs. Keeps getting better, and hope the trend continues!

you should read it, it's one of the best books out there right now.
    BB

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Decept-O

@Billy Batson: I believe you! I know it is but just haven't had the fundage for it. Yet I am glad this show is based off a comic book series, that in itself makes me happy. The show is great. 'Nuff said!

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

@Billy Batson said:

@Decept-O said:

you should read it, it's one of the best books out there right now.
    BB

This is true.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

Also Tyreese needs to come along and replace someone who should be dead by now.

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheRedRobin96

Angela??? I thought it was Andrea???

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

All I gotta say is...Otis put on some weight, lol. And the way that he and Shane are stuck at that FEMA center leads me to believe that Shane may go out in a way so different from the comic. The show is blowing my mind though thus far!

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By B'Town

Oh, yes! They must show inside the barn!

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheRedRobin96

Well in the season 2 trailer the first thing we see is him running from a hoard of walkers and falls, starts shooting, so I am convinced he will be running from them all night, I have a feeling Otis will be the dead one next episode, plus we see him in a ally way in the trailer with Rick and a few other people, so he will last a while.

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kimeraevet

This show has become pretty boring to my girlfriend and I. We have both read the entire series and were both current on the show before it was even announce. After watching season 1 we both felt it was just filled with unnecessary dialogue and characters. The characters that were supposed to be there were more or less not like their series counterparts. It made the story drag on and become boring. T-Dog, Merle and Daryl were unnecessary additions, with Daryl being the only one we actually liked. We both understand that the show needs to diverge from the series in places so that fans of the series can get a little something extra. The problem we see is that there has been a great divergence in how the characters are being developed and what is being done along the journey.

The greatest examples of this are Shane still being alive and Carl being older and a bit of a sissy. Carl killing Shane in the book was a big deal and shaped his and Rick's relationship over the entire series. Carl is the true hard ass in The Walking Dead and seeing him as this whiny older kid is a glaring screw up in our opinion. Shane still being a live and having had a continuous relationship with Lori was even more awkward. It was out of character for them both.

Then there are the little things that are just not adding up right. Where is Tyrese, his daughter and her boyfriend? Where were the rest of Hershel's kids?

We get there are budget restrictions, but it seems the restrictions are coming out in the story/characters and not out of the "lets show another parking lot full of zombies."

We are both going to keep watching the series and hope it gets back to some semblance of on track. I just don't want to feel like I am going to fall asleep again like I almost did this last episode.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i actually think this is one of the rare tv/ film adaptations that is better than the source material

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I thought this was a good episode but needed a little more zombies

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#26  Edited By The Impersonator

F*cking Awesome Show!

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By The Jeff

@Billy Batson: eh, you're only missing bad acting and an ok story

zerimar65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zerimar65

Okay, so the boy was shot and there's a farm.  Let's go!  Sorry about your little girl, but you know? She shouldn't have wandered off.  Where is she anyway?  She better be dead.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daveyo520

@B'Town: Lots of fun things in the barn.

Avatar image for cincyducksfan35
    cincyducksfan35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By cincyducksfan35

I loved the episode. They are really hitting their stride this season, but I feel like some of the "walkers" going after Shane and Otis were kind of running at the end of the episode. Don't think we have seen that before in the show. At least to my knowledge

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By avidwriter

I didn't finish Season 1 when I heard about the gang and then that undeground base or whatever. Not sure if I'm on for season 2 yet or not.

fifichiapet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fifichiapet

@inferiorego said:

@fifichiapet said:

Thanks,.... That was just my sub-conscious wishing Glenn did more in this episode.

Seriously, all they did with Glenn in 202 was give him a close-up when things felt awkward.

I don't know about anyone else, but seeing his face when he saw Maggie for the first time made me smile. Quite probably my favorite relationship in the comic.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Eyz

Ah, yeah! Now I remember how this "Carl got shot" scene turned out in the comics. I knew it was a straight take from the comic, but I didn't remember what or how it went.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.