The Walking Dead Premieres With A Record Breaking 7.3 Million Viewers

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The fact that writer/director of the first season of "The Walking Dead" Frank Darabont won't be returning for the second season obviously made no difference when the show premiered last night on AMC to a record breaking 7.3 million viewers for its first showing (over 10 million total after the second showing). The show's finale last December had approximately 6 million viewers, so its no wonder that most fans returned -- and the kick-off to season two did not disappoint.

No Caption Provided

The viewing experience, in general as far as the tone is concerned, is consistent with the last season; something which may be attributed to the fact that although the show lost Darabont shortly following San Diego Comic Con this year; according to a source much of the planning for the series' second season had been completed.

== TEASER ==
    ...Quite a few episodes of the upcoming season [season two] were already completed, by Darabont himself. Even though we’re unable to speculate what the episodes without Darabont’s involvement might look like, all of the footage that we’ve seen so far comes from the episodes that he’s had control over

After watching the first episode into the second season of The Walking Dead, the story does seem to follow along where we last saw the cast of characters at the end of season one, and the overall tone of the episode remains consistent with the previous season's. So far, it's not easy to tell whether or not the fact that Darabont will not be involved in the second season makes a difference, but only time will tell.

The story picks up following the CDC explosion. Rick's leadership abilities are tested from the get-go, and the start of season two doesn't skip a beat. Like we saw in the first season of The Walking Dead, the second season continues to move in a different direction than that of the comic series, which is rather consistent with what we saw during the first season of the series. The Walking Dead season two will consist of thirteen episodes, but if you missed the first one, you can watch it above. What did you think of the first episode of season two of The Walking Dead? Did you like it? Do you feel that the story kicking off season two is consistent in tone and context with what we saw in the first season?

If you watched the episode last night or watched it above, feel free to have a spoilery discussion below. Apologies if the above episode is not viewable in your area.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Every minute of the premiere was amazing, but the first 15 minutes were the most suspenseful minutes I've spent in a while. I can't wait for next week!

Ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ran
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I loved the premiere....I've just got to learn to take the book and the show as two completely different stories and that's really hard because Andrea is changing into a completely different character than the one she is in the books and I'm really not a fan of it...she doesn't come across as strong and confident in the show...more like weak and suicidal...completely different character

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NXH

It was great but it wasn't that great.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ARMIV2

It was amazing! I cannot wait for the next episode.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NightFang3

The whole episode was awesome and I didn't see that ending coming.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By zombietag

loved it. a little slow at the end, but overall really great.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Malonius

I really like that the book and show are different. Amps the suspense! I'm only on vol. 10 of the graphic novels and I've been amazed at the brutality....which they've carried over to the show more than I thought they would. Let's see if characters are as expendable in the show as in the book...

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You can sum this episode up like this. "Oh, Deer!"

I'm finding Lorie to be kind of annoying in this episode. She was right to tell Shane to stay away after what he tried in the CDC. Though, why go to him a day later asking why he's being so distant, and complain to him why he's not acting like the kid's father?

WilliamHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WilliamHenry

The premiere was boring as hell. Nothing happened. It was 10 minutes worth of plot stretched out over 90 minutes. This show better pick up soon or I'm done with it.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The show was absolutely AMAZING last night. It really is going in a direction that seems to borrow elements from, but does not completely copy, the comic. The ending threw me a curve...but if this episode was following any part of the comics, then I think we all will agree on just why the ending happened the way it did, and why a certain someone w as shot at the end of the story. That didn't give away too much with what I said, I don't think. Season 2...Full speed ahead!

kaskade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kaskade

Didn't they do budget cuts and stuff too? That's bullshit if the show is doing so well.

RV zombie was soooo creepy.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baillie

I don't understand why everyone is so hyped about the season premiere, it has absolutely nothing on any of the previous episodes, nonetheless the very first. It was way too slow and nothing happened. Lorie is a character I've never liked, I don't think she's a good actress, she was awful in Prison Break too.

I just hope something happens, and more time with the better characters.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am glad to hear that this show had its record breaking view count. Usually shows see their record breaking view count in the pilot epiosde but it seems that this show has been growing with more fans with every episode. i know I just started watching the show and I really love it and think it is a great show. Can't wait to see more of season 2. I am glad I started watching the show.

WilliamHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WilliamHenry

@kaskade said:

Didn't they do budget cuts and stuff too? That's bullshit if the show is doing so well.

RV zombie was soooo creepy.

Just because its doing well doesn't mean its automatically earning a profit. For all we know, the episodes cost more to make than advertisers are willing to spend.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By B'Town

@danhimself said:

I loved the premiere....I've just got to learn to take the book and the show as two completely different stories and that's really hard because Andrea is changing into a completely different character than the one she is in the books and I'm really not a fan of it...she doesn't come across as strong and confident in the show...more like weak and suicidal...completely different character

I loved the premiere too, and I have a similar feeling about Andrea, though after she completely stabified RV zombie in they eyeball again, again and a-freaking-gain, and bitching plenty to get her gun back, I am thinking we may see the real Andrea step up in the coming shows. lets hope so. :D

I do like that the show isn't completely following the book, we need a few surprises to keep it creepy.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By SpidermanWins

DAMN! That's awesome!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

I loved the premiere too, and I have a similar feeling about Andrea, though after she completely stabified RV zombie in they eyeball again, again and a-freaking-gain, and bitching plenty to get her gun back, I am thinking we may see the real Andrea step up in the coming shows. lets hope so. :D

I do like that the show isn't completely following the book, we need a few surprises to keep it creepy.

maybe it's just the fact that Shane's there....we could pretend that this is all a big "What If...Shane had lived?" universe

I agree...even though as soon as the deer appeared I knew what was going to happen

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By The Impersonator

This is an awesome horror show!

Atomic_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Atomic_Punk

Loved it! Hope this convinces the a**holes at AMC to lay off the budget cuts and treat this show right.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_tree

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

maybe it's just the fact that Shane's there....we could pretend that this is all a big "What If...Shane had lived?" universe

I agree...even though as soon as the deer appeared I knew what was going to happen

One big thing I'm hoping for is that Tyreese shows up this season. I will not let AMC replace Tyreese with T-Dog, that's just madness!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danhimself

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

One big thing I'm hoping for is that Tyreese shows up this season. I will not let AMC replace Tyreese with T-Dog, that's just madness!

I can't worry about that yet....I'm still trying to figure out little things like how all those people in their cars on the highway died....seriously...most of them had their doors shut and their windows up and the one that Carl took the pack of machetes and hatchets from didn't have any bite marks and hadn't "turned"...so how'd he die?

also I'm betting that Merle has been following the group and has taken Sophia

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By B'Town

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

I can't worry about that yet....I'm still trying to figure out little things like how all those people in their cars on the highway died....seriously...most of them had their doors shut and their windows up and the one that Carl took the pack of machetes and hatchets from didn't have any bite marks and hadn't "turned"...so how'd he die?

When I saw the people in the cars, I figured they had felt hopeless, stuck there, with zombie's killing their loved ones and had 'opted out'.

OH, NO! I don't want Merle to have taken Sophia. That's an awful thought.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

When I saw the people in the cars, I figured they had felt hopeless, stuck there, with zombie's killing their loved ones and had 'opted out'.

OH, NO! I don't want Merle to have taken Sophia. That's an awful thought.

it is but he's a loose plot line that's got to be cleared up at some point....so until that happens I'm going to think that he's the one behind anything bad that happens to the group

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_tree

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

I would love for that to happen with Merle, I never even thought about the possibility of that.

I bet she found her way to the farm somehow though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By danhimself

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

I would love for that to happen with Merle, I never even thought about the possibility of that.

that's the other possibility that I've been thinking as well...but I think it would be anticlimatic for Rick to run Carl there only for Sophia to be there just chillin

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Osiris1428

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@The_Tree said:

@danhimself said:

@B'Town said:

@danhimself said:

Yeah, this "Dog" person is completely useless. WE WANT TYREESE!!!!

Great premier, and thanks for putting this up, Babs!!! I work all the freaking time. Thanks, I love The Walking Dead!!!!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By doordoor123

@The Impersonator said:

This is an awesome horror show!

Its debatable. Its much more of a drama than a horror show.

HunterGP02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HunterGP02

Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon, but I hated it. I love The Walking Dead, read the comic and LOVED the first season, but this episode had too many inconsistencies for me. Starting with how did all those Walkers come from behind them? Did they follow them from Atlanta? That would be impossible, they just formed out of thin air I suppose. Next, would the walkers not have smelled them under the cars, because remember, they can smell since that's how Rick fooled the walkers by covering themselves in zombie guts to mask their scent. Ok, now the church bell, two HUGE things wrong with it, first of all, what's powering it, maybe a car battery? That would last maybe for a week, but not this entire apocalypse. Second, would not that loud ringing attract walkers from miles around like gunshots do? Finally, just 1 last dumb detail, that was a Southern Baptist Church I believe, NO Baptist church in the South is going to have a crucifix in it. I wish I could have just enjoyed this episode but I felt it was too busy insulting my intelligence...

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By Ganthetsward20

i watched the first three episodes with my roomie, we liked it and plan on watching the next three tonight. Its pretty good and im glad to see it has more episodes this season. G-man's old podcast talking about the show really attracted me to it, so thanks G-man

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eyz

So much better than the lackbuster finale from last season!

jarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jarko

Just watched the 1st episode of the 2nd season and I just have to say, that I'm still on the fence with the series. I've almost learned to live with the fact, that his is quite different compared to the original (comickook) story, and I'm starting to feel that it's kinda ok. Surprises and all that, and Darryl is imo an interesting character. But then again, I would like the story to take further apart from the comicbook story, if it ain't gonna fully follow it. It's kinda annoying, that there are some bits that are clearly from the comicbook storyline, and at the same time some are pretty far off from it (for example Shane? Tyrell?), that it feels... I don't know... just weird to have some bits from the original and then not doing some really crucial plot twists that made the comicbook so damn good from the start. I also feel that the story drags a bit. Yeah, I know they are building more drama, but still. Some bits are kinda leaning towards the boring zone.

PS. I'm still thinking, that Merle is going to be The Governor in the tv-series' storyline. Hand for a hand and so on. Let's just see when that story arc is going to be introduced. Maybe on 4th season? ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.