• 77 results
    erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

There are spoilers below. You’ve been warned.

Holy expletive. You know, I was going to start this week’s The Walking Dead write-up by apologizing for missing last week’s due to Hurricane Sandy, but that doesn’t even seem appropriate at this point. I feel like “Killer Within” will be a very divisive episode amongst fans of the original comic.

Since I’m here to talk about the actual show and not the comic, I’m going to avoid discussing exactly what happens in the books, but suffice it to say it’s way different than what just happened on TV. It’s kind of shocking to think we now live in a post-Lori world. I almost feel bad for all the Lori jokes I’ve made over the last two seasons, because her sendoff here was rather poignant. For all the questionable choices Lori has made over the course of the series – and she’s made a lot of them – her final moments with her son, Carl, and Maggie were truly touching. Actor Sarah Wayne Callies sold the moment perfectly, and now I’m finding myself feeling sad that she’s gone.

And Lori wasn’t even the only death in this week’s episode. We also lost T-Dog. Just when it seemed like he was going to do something this season – especially considering Merle’s back in the fold – he goes and gets bit. Then, in one final act of heroism, sacrifices himself to protect Carol. Sadly, T-Dog was under utilized this entire show, and to see him go out like this was kind of a head scratcher. He was a man around for so long, yet did so little. Then, even in death, he’s one-uped by Lori’s demise. Man, T-Dog really can’t catch a break.

No Caption Provided

This episode also revisited Andrea and Michonne in Woodbury, although very little happened here. We see more of Michonne questioning the Governor’s true motives (understandably), and Andrea seemingly falling for Woodbury’s leader. And you know what, I think the Governor feels the same way about Andrea. If there’s one thing AMC has done well with the Governor, it’s humanizing him more than Robert Kirkman ever did in the comic. He’s still a shady dude, but at least he comes off as a bit more justified in his actions (that doesn’t count the heads in fish tanks though).

And lastly, the Governor has clearly whipped Merle into shape. He’s no longer the racist jerk he was in the series’ first episode – at least when taken at face value. You almost find yourself feeling sorry for him when the Governor denies him his request to go out and find his brother.

So we’re only four episodes in season three and things are already off the chain. We thought Dale’s death in season two was a huge deal, yet Lori’s tops it considerably. Clearly, the folks behind this show aren’t afraid to shake things up. While that might irk longtime fans of the comic, there’s no denying it keeps things interesting. Maybe next week Rick will die. Does that really seem that far-fetched considering everything that’s happened?

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

th3jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By th3jok3r

Absolutely insane. Heart-wrenching moments. To watch Rick in agony was not easy to see, and to watch the innocence leave Carl's eyes was truly hard. My mom actually cried lol.

RIP T-Dog, you will be missed.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

I was chanting, "Die, Lori, Die!" during her scene. (Even startled my poor cat.) And it happened. Now I am glad. Yay!

T-Dog was a bit too stereotypical of a character and I don't think he got a chance to be anything other than that but his send-off was important. His apathy seemed to seal his fate.

The intense drama....whoa..even though Lori proved to be a character I really didn't like there are always reasons when you feel about a character, whether it is good or bad. Here, that dislike seemed to transcend into sympathy and it hit me like a barrel over the head when I witnessed Rick's reaction and their son's zombie like state---pun intended---after dispatching Lori. Sheesh, emotionally draining episode. But a damn good one!!

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mightypug78

i was hoping lori would die like she did in the comic books, wouldve been much more shocking.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

It'd be a lie if I said no tears were shed. And I'm defending Lori's sacrifice to keep the baby a live at the cost of her own life. Maybe its a little bit of hope for their world...or a massive burden. Awesome episode, but they should've made that little shrimp Andrew explain himself more for ruining everthing.

ReadItNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ReadItNow

Carl is one bad ass kid. I would like to see more off him making those tough moves like he did this week!

ComicKID777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ComicKID777

An episode like this was bound to happen sooner or later an to believe more people are gonna die when the gov goes crazy later on

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlKusanagi

Carl is my hero.

jaydee98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydee98

I was never a huge Lori fan. In fact, I wanted her to die also. But not like this. Her scene was really touching. A woman choosing the new life of her child over her own is not unheard of but watching her make that decision and bravely facing her choice was quite beautiful (in a bloody, gory way). And Carl... Damn my man stepped up big time. I used to think he was an annoying brat. But now, watching him grow up like that and leaving behind childish things... And the scene with Rick crying while Carl stood there like a soldier.

I wished they would have let T-Dog have more of a role before they killed him off. The black prisoner in the episode had more dialogue in his speech than T-Dog has had all season.

Whoever doesn't believe a show about zombies can be dramatic really needs to watch this. It is one of the best shows on TV today.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle

Alas, poor T-Dogg....I guess there isn't room for more than one black man on the show....you had to go.

This episode was great

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

One black guy at a time on team Rick lol crack me up.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

Wow, that 20 minutes... This was truly an emotional episode.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bestostero

Lori dies, TDog dies... did Carol die too? this episode was tough

Avatar image for hortondrawsawho
    HortonDrawsAWho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HortonDrawsAWho

The comic has always prided itself with the concept of ANYONE CAN DIE/ NO ONE IS SAFE. I feel like the show wants this concept but can't reach it. Normal TV and Movie rules apply. Carl after this episode is now Invincible, as is the baby. Maggie (if she takes the caretaker role) is also invincible. I will be SHOCKED if the characters ever even take a step inside of Woodbury now. Most likely there will be no Woodbury entertainment, the Woodbury army is essentially 6 guys with a Hummer. Tyreese will never exist. I'm not going to be surprised if the show eventually gives up what the cause of the zombie outbreak was, only because thats the type of thing a tv show would reveal in a season 4 or 5 finale. The writers don't care what the comic readers (us) think, and it's easier for them to just kill off someone then write them a story. T Dawg could have very easily been turned into Tyreese, Woodbury could have very easily been more thunderdome and less Pleasantville, and Lori could have been likable and not written as a moron. At this point I've completely stopped myself from wanting the comic parallels, were not going to get them. Give rick a machete instead of a hatchet, why? because it will anger the comic fans and its change for change sake.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlKusanagi

The show and the comic are two completely different entities by far. That has been made obvious since the first season.

The comic Woodbury and the governor were over the top and ridiculous in the comic and would have looked absolutely stupid on TV.

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shackle

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

The comic has always prided itself with the concept of ANYONE CAN DIE/ NO ONE IS SAFE. I feel like the show wants this concept but can't reach it. Normal TV and Movie rules apply. Carl after this episode is now Invincible, as is the baby. Maggie (if she takes the caretaker role) is also invincible. I will be SHOCKED if the characters ever even take a step inside of Woodbury now. Most likely there will be no Woodbury entertainment, the Woodbury army is essentially 6 guys with a Hummer. Tyreese will never exist. I'm not going to be surprised if the show eventually gives up what the cause of the zombie outbreak was, only because thats the type of thing a tv show would reveal in a season 4 or 5 finale. The writers don't care what the comic readers (us) think, and it's easier for them to just kill off someone then write them a story. T Dawg could have very easily been turned into Tyreese, Woodbury could have very easily been more thunderdome and less Pleasantville, and Lori could have been likable and not written as a moron. At this point I've completely stopped myself from wanting the comic parallels, were not going to get them. Give rick a machete instead of a hatchet, why? because it will anger the comic fans and its change for change sake.

Wow, getting a head start on the butt-hurt train, aren't you?

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By JairamGanpat

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

Why would you want to watch exactly what you read years ago? BRING ON THE CHANGE, B!TC#

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wolfrazer

Was a real nice episode, and showing that not everything can be sunshine and flowers(like a lot of tv shows/cartoons seem to be today). I do have a sort of off topic question... 

I may have missed some episodes, and this question actually goes back to like the 1st episodes. But whatever happened to that one black guy and his son? All I can remember is him killing the zombie mother, and Rick communicating with him via wireless radio but I don't really remember anything after...is that ever explained or is it still up in the air?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By zombietag

craziest episode ever. my girlfriend literally sobbed at the end

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    Soooo is Carol dead or what?
    CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By CommanderShiro

@Wolfrazer said:

I do have a sort of off topic question... I may have missed some episodes, and this question actually goes back to like the 1st episodes. But whatever happened to that one black guy and his son? All I can remember is him killing the zombie mother, and Rick communicating with him via wireless radio but I don't really remember anything after...is that ever explained or is it still up in the air?

Still up in the air. Pretty sure Morgan and his son will be brought back up eventually.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mattwing87

This episode made cry! I haven't cried since little Sophie died :(

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattwing87

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

Sadly, people who adapt movies/shows from comic books don't try to gain the reader's interest. They try to gain the whole world's interest. People don't read comics so they don't know what the true story is anyways so they are free to do what they want because no one will no it's different than the comic.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

I made the same remark to my gf. 

T-Dog dies?  No biggie, his spot has already been replaced! 

I also think it's tragically hysterical that T-Dog is killed in the episode where he finally gets some depth.   

"Whoa, they're going somewhere with him?  Nope, nevermind."

That (and walkers never entering the open room with screaming, a baby crying and a gunshot) aside, definitely a good episode.
    Avatar image for sweetesttoaster
    sweetesttoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sweetesttoaster

Wow, Rick's breakdown just killed me. And Carl taking it like a champ. That kid's innocence is gone forever. Best moment in the series so far.

Nicodemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nicodemus

I have a feeling that the whole story with Carl (both comic and show Carl) is that the writers are just preparing the Carl character to be the leader. I'm talking WAAAAY down the road. Rick can't live forever, everyone knows that. Carl will be one of the pioneers of the new civilizations. He's learning the hard way to become a leader. Like his dad, perhaps better than his dad.....or for his dad, we don't know yet.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@k4tzm4n said:

@Gambler said:

I made the same remark to my gf.

T-Dog dies? No biggie, his spot has already been replaced!

I also think it's tragically hysterical that T-Dog is killed in the episode where he finally gets some depth.

"Whoa, they're going somewhere with him? Nope, nevermind."

That (and walkers never entering the open room with screaming, a baby crying and a gunshot) aside, definitely a good episode.

Ha! I know right? I was like, "Did they really just Upgrade T-Dog?" The dude is taller, in better shape, and proved himself to Rick. He's T-Dog V9.0 lol

Also, it seemed to me like Lori was waaaay to cool with checking out. Almost like she had enough. "Here Rick, as if you didnt have enough to deal with. We've been on the outs lately so I'mma just up and die making sure you feel guilty forever. I'm also going to make your son pull the trigger, oh yeah, heres Shane's baby. Make sure you keep it safe. Peace :)

What a b!tch :P

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By JamesKM716

That episode just ripped off my face and stuffed it down my throat.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sentryman555

@ComicKID777 said:

An episode like this was bound to happen sooner or later an to believe more people are gonna die when the gov goes crazy later on

This thought scares me. I like the rest of the characters!.....maybe Carl can die. I don't like him on the show. Even though I did feel horrible for him this episode.

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoyWander

Kill Andrea! I hate her character. C'mon AMC, you'd make the show so much more bearable.

DefaultProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DefaultProphet

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

Wait. You have an episode where two people die out of nowhere and it's proof that the show can't do this concept?

What?

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By avidwriter

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

In the comics Rick and Carl are invincible as well. Yes Carl got into a "scrape" but he lives and he will live. Rick is the main character he won't die unless it's at the very end and Carl is Rick's only motivation. If Carl dies Rick has no reason to live. So the same rules apply here, as for that baby I wouldn't bet on it. Could have an offscreen death.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By Strafe Prower

RIP T-Dog. i've always liked this character, despite him not doing much. I guess I just didn't have anything to hate him for.

I couldn't be happier that Lori is dead. She has been annoying since day one.

Carl is quickly rising up in my eyes. He's becoming more than than the dead weight crybaby.

Maggie is too awesome for words. Props.

I can relate with Andrea's prespective on life, so I like her.

If Rick will die, I will be happy.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alright, I'm just going to call it now. I think the creators made a huge continuity goof between episodes 2 and 4. In episode 2 we have Andrew locked into that outside place with Rick telling him " you better run" and when the latter shuts the door off, we are left with the sound of bloodcurdling screams to indicate that death has come to him. And yet for Episode 4, it is Andrew clearly doing the shenanigans, like opening the gate and turning on the generators to let sound attract every walker from the area. Now I know television shows leave things like this up in the air all the time but, that just seemed to me to be an obvious goof that should NOT have been made. Sure, its possible that Andrew could have escaped for freedom, found that axe and plotted his vengeance against the group but it just seemed highly unlikely to me. Then again that's consistent with what this show is about..you never know truly what will happen next. I mean on a side note, I'm inclined to think that Carol is dead now on the show, but who knows? Still, what a great episode and it seems that the creators are staying fairly consistent to the comic with what is happening here. And now a fourth of the season is finished. Amazing!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danhimself

did Carol die off camera or are did I miss something

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Strafe Prower

@danhimself: They found her scarf and assumed she is dead. We have no reason to assume she is in fact dead though, just what the writers want us to believe.

DefaultProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DefaultProphet

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Alright, I'm just going to call it now. I think the creators made a huge continuity goof between episodes 2 and 4. In episode 2 we have Andrew locked into that outside place with Rick telling him " you better run" and when the latter shuts the door off, we are left with the sound of bloodcurdling screams to indicate that death has come to him. And yet for Episode 4, it is Andrew clearly doing the shenanigans, like opening the gate and turning on the generators to let sound attract every walker from the area. Now I know television shows leave things like this up in the air all the time but, that just seemed to me to be an obvious goof that should NOT have been made. Sure, its possible that Andrew could have escaped for freedom, found that axe and plotted his vengeance against the group but it just seemed highly unlikely to me. Then again that's consistent with what this show is about..you never know truly what will happen next. I mean on a side note, I'm inclined to think that Carol is dead now on the show, but who knows? Still, what a great episode and it seems that the creators are staying fairly consistent to the comic with what is happening here. And now a fourth of the season is finished. Amazing!

That's not a goof. They never showed him die.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

I didn't like Lori's character but

Damn. After every episode I find myself just repeating a phrase...this time it was "That shts not right". Said it like 10 times. Damn Carl was traumatized like 5 times in one episode.
    SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By SavageDragon

@HortonDrawsAWho said:

I think your a little off base. When they change things it not to change for "change sake". I wouldnt want to see exactly what I've read for years in the walking dead comic, That kinda pulls out any excitement of the unknown out of it. The world that they have built in the TV show cant have everything in the book because it just wouldnt transfer out. The thunderdome style militant Woodbury I think would look ridiculous as would a gnarly greasy haired Governor. For this world I feel what they have done is much more believable. In any transfer from a book medium to film (TV or movie) you cannot just use the book as the script of the movie or show. Remember Robert Kirkman is the executive producer on the show too. I wanted to see Tyreese no doubt but they created Daryl just for the show and hes awesome.

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mr_riddler

WTF?! WTF! WTF!!!

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

This episode has solidified my opinion that the show has finally turned itself around. Exciting from the opening credits. Hard to believe we are only a quarter way through the season. Feels like more has gone on in these 4 episodes than has gone on the entire series.

All the people wanting more T-Dog and wishing T-Dog finally got his chance in the spotlight.... Do you not realize he was the token black character? We all knew he was gonna die as soon as the black prisoner entered the mix. And the prisoner will die as soon as Morgan and Duane come back (assuming they do).

Just loving TWD these days though. Comics are as strong as ever, and the show has taken on this new life. Great time to be a fan

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Every time they cut to a scene involving the Governor, Meryl, Andrea, or Michonne, all the tension surrounding what was transpiring at the prison dissolved completely, in my opinion.

T-Dog is being snacked on and Carol is about to bite the proverbial du-

COMMERCIAL BREAK.

And then we return to scenes involving Woodbury.

Seriously, the prison was far more significant than scenes that might lead to something two or three episodes down the line. Why didn't they just focus entirely on the prison and let it all build naturally? We would truly feel the harrowing, hopeless situation all of the characters were in.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Twentyfive

Carol will likely come back as a zombie, but they should not spend more than 5 minutes looking for her.

All of this is making me wonder how the show will end.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By doordoor123

Doesn't the baby also die?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By fodigg

F***ing T-Dawg. Man. He will be missed.

TheRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheRobin

I Can't Believe They Killed The Only Black Guy In The Group.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheHeat

Poor T-Dawg! And while I wasn't a huge fan of Lori, I commend her for sacrificing her life for the baby unlike many today who would do the opposite.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Not sure why there should be a complaint between the show and comic being dissimilar. I think the show does the comic justice at its core and that's enough for me.

Having bought and read each issue of the comic, I really prefer NOT knowing exactly what happens or will happen each and every episode. I like the fresh take. And like I said, it really does respect the core material enough to rock it for me ...

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I never minded Lori, to be honest. She wasn't my favorite character, but I didn't hate her. But Rick's reaction to her death killed me! Holy shit!

Episode was intense, so great.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DefaultProphet: Yeah I know. Still, it just seemed Andrew being present to do all that seemed contrived to me for some reason. I mean sure, just because the sound of him screaming could be heard, it doesn't mean he was being torn to shreds by those zombies. In the end it made for actually a very good episode because it seems Andrew's more of the cause for the group's problems as of late than anyone else..or was rather. Perhaps the same could be said for Carol.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GodOfMischief

I thought it was probably the best episode of the season so far, it's things like this that make the comic book great. I'm glad that the show has taken different turns with the characters and how they die etc; that way we don't really know what to expect. I think they wasted T-Dog's character though, of all the times they could've got rid of him in season 2; they decide to kill him once he finally gets some more depth and usefulness.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.