• 78 results
    erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

It's that time of the week again -- time to talk about the latest episode of The Walking Dead, entitled "Better Angels." After the conclusion of last week's show (R.I.P. Dale!), the excitement level for this week's episode is at a fever pitch. So, did this week's episode live up to the lofty expectations placed on it by last week's program? Let's dive into the important bits to find out…

As always, there be spoilers before!

A eulogy for Dale

No Caption Provided

The group reminisces about Dale to open this week's show. Carl is clearly not taking this too well, all things considered (it's his fault, the jerk!). This opening was also quite horrific with the juxtaposition of Rick's respectful words about Dale and the dire state of humanity with the viciousness and savagery of how Shane and the crew take out roamers. Me thinks there's a war for humanity's soul a brewin'.

Big ups to T-Dog for finally getting some screen time (it wasn't much though).

== TEASER ==

Carl confines in Shane

No Caption Provided

Carl confesses to Shane that he saw the walker that ripped a hole in Dale's chest. The look on Shane's face can only be read as "Baaaaalllllllls. I really wish you didn't tell me that." What's most interesting about this scene is that Shane attempts to give Carl back the gun. Carl says he'll never touch a gun again. Could this be foreshadowing to a certain watershed moment between Carl and Shane from the comics? I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes.

T-Dog, checking in!

No Caption Provided

In case you forgot, T-Dog is still in this show. Within five minutes of this episode we've already gotten more T-Dog action than the last four episodes combined! Way to be, T-Dog.

Flip-flopper Lori

No Caption Provided

What is she doing?! Lori confesses to Shane that she's responsible for putting Rick and Shane at odds. Then she continues to do so! She admits to Shane that she's not sure who the father of the child is. Yet, she just told Rick that Shane was too dangerous and that he needs to put down the rabid dog in order to protect her, Carl and the unborn baby. I'm sorry, Lori is a total minx and is really hard to like in this show.

Shane tells Rick about that little "Carl thing"

No Caption Provided

The line in the sand continues to be drawn between Rick and Shane. There's so much venom behind everything they say to each other now. Man, remember when they were just good ol' sheriff buddies talking about their lady problems while waiting for an APB? Yea… good times that are long gone.

Lessons learned from Dale

No Caption Provided

Glenn takes to fixing the beat-up van while having a heart to heart about our late Hawaiian shirt lover with Andrea. It's a touching moment that kind of paints the picture of how awful things have become. However, the scene ends on an uplifting note as Glenn and Andrea are able to get the van started and share a laugh. Not much to laugh about these days…

"No more kid stuff"

No Caption Provided

What a depressing speech. Rick talks to Carl about death and how it's an inevitable part of life. He tells Carl that there's no more time for "kid stuff." It seems like Rick has lost faith that things can one day return to some sense of normalcy.

Shane, your marbles have gone missing

No Caption Provided

Wow, Shane has gone in-sane. After letting Randal out of the barn and telling him he wants to switch allegiances to the other camp, Shane straight up snaps Randal's neck. Then the dude runs into a tree to make it appear like Randal clocked him and stole his weapon. Shane is able to spin a successful yarn to get the camp to buy into his story and they head off into the woods to hunt down Randal.

Daryl, master tracker

No Caption Provided

You didn't think a pro at tracking squirrels wouldn't be able to suss out what went down between Shane and Randal, did you? Squirrel master Daryl once again calls it like he sees it -- correctly.

Rick vs. Shane -- fight!

No Caption Provided

I honestly didn't expect this confrontation to happen until next week's season finale, but here we are. Rick and Shane put everything on the table and it's clear that the friendship is definitely over. Shane tries to label Rick the "chaos" of the group, since everything was "perfectly fine" before he showed up.

It blows my mind that Rick actually tried to be a voice of reason after Shane laid out his entire, elaborate plan to kill Rick. Then BOOM! Knife to the chest! Rick strikes and hits Shane right in the heart, killing him pretty quickly.

Shane the zombie

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In a nice little nod to the comic book source material, Carl puts a bullet into the head of zombie Shane as he shambles towards an unknowing Rick.

It appears as though the AMC version of The Walking Dead is jumping ahead a little bit here with one important story beat from the comics. It wasn't until further into the comic that it's revealed the dead rise whether they were bitten/scratched by a zombie or not. While it's a nice twist to use for the season finale next week, it did feel out of place here. There was no build up to this major beat, making it seem as though some nefarious do-no-gooder just flipped a switch to make the dead rise while twiddling his evil mustache.

Final words

So, there were some major events in this week's episode. Most importantly, Rick finally takes care of the rabid dog, Shane. Secondly, the dead, whether they were zombie food or not, have risen, which should lead to an entertaining, blood-filled finale. The former was pulled off quite well. The latter… not so much. But hey, that's just my opinion. Let us know what you thought of "Better Angels" in the comments below!

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LiquidSwords

COMMENCE THE NERD RAGE!!!!

I dug it! Don't care what you say, going to enjoy Walking Dead everyday!

MrEtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrEtc

Great Episode, better than last week's. While I was sorry and surprised to see Dale go: I was much more excited to see Shane get his just deserts. I was not expecting the knife attack by Rick, well played. But they hinted to the "you're a zombie after you die no matter what" when they tried to get rid of Randal the first time. So I figured a revelation like tonight's was coming soon after.

Nicodemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Nicodemus

I thought Shane's death was great. A total flip from the comic. In the comic, Carl kills human Shane and Rick kills zombie Shane. I dont see AMC will ever swow a kid killing a live human being. That is one line they will not cross.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buttersdaman000

They foreshadowed the zombie-after-death thing with those two police officers when Shane and Rick went to get rid of Randall the first time. Anyways, great episode! Its sad to see Shane go but we all knew it had to happen eventually....and he was getting crazier and crazier. I cant wait for the season finale! There's a rumor that Michonne will be appearing to set up for The Governor and Prison for season 3....

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#5  Edited By The Impersonator

Nice!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    This episode was insane! Loved it! 
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlKusanagi

I'm sorry, but the whole thing with Shane's death and Carl was a complete cop out. They ruined his character defining moment. They should have either just had him shoot Shane as he threatened his father, like in the original book, or not had him there at all.

PS. Lori is the most horrible and unlikeable character ever. Please eat a bullet.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

"I'm sorry, Lori is a total minx and is really hard to like in this show.". NO, man nothing to be sorry about I totally agree! While just a fictional character, I "forgave" Lori for knocking boots with Shane and the whole deal because they thought Rick was dead. Totally understandable.

However, she's continued to pit Shane and Rick against each other. Not very rational thinking, especially in the world they inhabit.

I ( very mildly ) disagree, though, about the last bit concerning the dead becoming Zombies. I haven't read the comics so I had no idea that they were becoming Zombies regardless of any bites or not, but that was hinted at last episode. It was a surprise to me to have that fully realized. Makes me even more curious!

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SexualLobster

Throughout the series they had walkers coming back without getting bit. I remember I found a few instances throughout the series. If you re-watch them, you'll see them too.

But I disagree with you about Lori. She can't just be like 'Oh hey shane, Rick's back, you're shit now'. Her apology and thanks in this episode made sense to me. She was trying to comfort him, maybe bring him back a bit from craziness.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Shane's dead, now all that's left is Lori I say. I know, its a bad thing but I've had it with the (*nt. I'm not even calling her Lori anymore...but rather Whori. Show was great though, but...is anyone remotely curious about the similarity between this particular scene int he show...

and this scene at the end of 2010's Survival of the Dead?

Curiouser and curiouser...

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By zackattack529

yaa i totally agree, Lori is a horrible character. i hope she becomes zombie dinner. im not a walking dead comic reader, but my friend did tell me she dies at some point and i know this show is differnt than the comics, but i hope that much is accurate. shes the worst thing for the group. and whats ironic is she was the tension builder to the idea rick was brining the group down..when in reality its his WIFE! especially the way he talked to andrea last episode. but enough ranting about her, i thought this was an awesome episode otherwise not the best but a 4/5 for me.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Its really too bad that they couldn't reveal the "you become a zombie no matter how you die" twist the way they did in the comics. That way was much more entertaining and I feel they kind of wasted an opportunity.

Overall a pretty good episode. While the show will never be as good as the comics, it has really picked up the last few episodes and I can't wait to see the season finale and the Governor next season!

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV2

Man, this episode was pretty intense.

Not made any less so by the fact that we watched it on the big screen my abuelita gave to us.

It came out Harry Potter dark.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skywarpgold

@AlKusanagi said:

I'm sorry, but the whole thing with Shane's death and Carl was a complete cop out. They ruined his character defining moment. They should have either just had him shoot Shane as he threatened his father, like in the original book, or not had him there at all.

PS. Lori is the most horrible and unlikeable character ever. Please eat a bullet.

I couldn't agree more. Carl killing human Shane is the entire motivating factor in Carl's whole character. This is an awful change.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By redhood21

@LiquidSwords said:

COMMENCE THE NERD RAGE!!!!

I dug it! Don't care what you say, going to enjoy Walking Dead everyday!

WORD! (i concur).

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

@AlKusanagi said:

completely agree....plus with the twins not present in the show there goes another moment for Carl...I was really disappointed with this episode

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

I hate how the herds just show up out of no where in this show...the first time Dale is standing watch on top of the RV and all of a sudden there's a herd on top of them...now in this episode it's the day after Dale's death and they show everyone driving around the farm property checking fences and then all of a sudden there's a hundred walkers all around the farm....ridiculous...my love of this show is quickly turning toward hate....they have one of the greatest comics ever to go off of and they're completely screwing it up...there's no need for these wild deviations...just stick with what the story that's worked

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By SavageDragon

@danhimself: I think I respectfully have to disagree with you guys. Yeah i get what your saying about carl not being the one to say "dont hurt my dad" might hurt his character arc but remember this carl also inadvertently caused dales death and i think it was good writing to give himesomething after that whole fiasco with him saying "ill never have touch a gun again". He still did save his dad he just saved him from walker-shane. I personally liked this episode a whole lot more than last weeks.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I liked the episode I realy wish it had been carl to kill shane and rick to kill zombie shane but whatevs. I thought the stuff about dale in the episode was nice he really deserved it. Randal was going to die no doubt about it so I wasnt surprised about that. Hershal finally let them in the house but now they all will have to be leaving for a new safe haven. Im really looking forward to the next episode. So much has happened in the last 3 episodes that its made up for the entire season as a whole with all those 'slow paced' episodes. We've seen them lead up to these deaths meaning more then what they might have been if it happened sooner.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eyz

Awesome!

The show didn't lose his momentum or quality by having Frank Darabont leave it earlier this season!

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ms__omega

@LiquidSwords: yes NERDRAGE!!!!! :)

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#22  Edited By EganTheVile1

well, Carl may not have killed Shane like he did in the comics, but at least he shot zombie Shane, dunno how Rick did not hear zombie Shane coming up from behind though.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think this was one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion.

wolfmangideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolfmangideon

@Nicodemus: .....and I hate them for that. I don't mind that the show deviates from the comics, but there are "don't mess with" moments, and Carl putting a bullet in Shane's head to save Rick (a living Shane, not walker Shane) is one of the biggest in the series.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laabitres

yesssssssssssssss shane is deaaaaaaaaaade wooooooooooooooooo

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By KRYPTON

This episode kept me on the edge of my seat, I almost fell off of it!

1frankcastle4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 1frankcastle4

Good stuff last night. Carl's a puss. All I know is.. Watch Out, and make way for the Governor!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By X35

i'm surprised they didn't save shane's death for the season finale

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X35
    hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hitechlolife

They kind of had to do the reveal about the no-bite zombies for the Shane scene to play out the way it did. I mean Shane could have been the revelation but that'd leave scant time for the horde to make a showing.

Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Starkin
    @danhimself said:

I hate how the herds just show up out of no where in this show...the first time Dale is standing watch on top of the RV and all of a sudden there's a herd on top of them...now in this episode it's the day after Dale's death and they show everyone driving around the farm property checking fences and then all of a sudden there's a hundred walkers all around the farm....ridiculous...my love of this show is quickly turning toward hate....they have one of the greatest comics ever to go off of and they're completely screwing it up...there's no need for these wild deviations...just stick with what the story that's worked

I completely disagree. I haven't read the comics yet but this show is an adaptation of the comics, not the comics itself. They should follow a similar story, I agree with that but following it to the letter wouldn't make sense to me. It seems to me your comparing the show to much to it's original source material which you should never do because your more open to disappointment, but that just how I see it and could be completely wrong and if so I apologize for the rant lol. 

On to the zombies. It makes more sense than you may think. At the start of the episodes it was stated that the swamps were drying up giving the walkers more access to move around, not to mention that it was also said that there were other farms around that had burned down making walkers being nearby more of a possibility. 
    allpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By allpro

yo episode was great!  I t left me in shock !!  I'm gonna miss Shane's antics! R.I.P. twice you cray mofo!!

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By the_fallen11

Those Mofos killed Shane...the only dude I would follow in a zombie apocalypse.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mekboy

Way to go Rick. Kill off one of your strongest member.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

1.) Shane should have died a lot earlier. I loved the character development they gave him but I felt like Season 1 Shane was TOTALLY different from Season 2 Shane. They were like two different people...

2.) Andrea seemed eerily uninfected by Dale's death... in the comics they were in love so it felt weird to see her smile more than anyone else after his passing...

3.) We aren't suppose to see sociopath Carl tell later on in the series... it's too early. We have to save that till after The Governor kills his... Nevermind.

4.) I predict Hershal's entire family dies except his son, Maggie and Patricia (maybe his son). I think Carol might kill herself... and T-Dog will die. T-Dog is annoying and needs to die already.

5.) If they kill (Lori, Andrea, Glen, or Maggie) I stop watching... Period.

EDIT: P/S I miss Dale!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By X35

@TheWholeDamnShow: I want Herschel's son to live just because the show needs more young guys. Glen's not enough!

The son is just total fodder now. They were giving him characterisation when they first introduced him when he was hunting for sophia with Rick's group and was lying about having herschel's permission. then he just fell into the background! i get the feeling he's maybe supposed to be Billy.

Since in the comic

most of Hershel's family die in the prison attack, i think they'll probably bring that idea forward to this season finale and on the farm because it's impossible to have a zombie attack finale without causalities and it seems getting rid of Herschel's family is probably feels like "the right time".
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

@X35 said:

@TheWholeDamnShow: I want Herschel's son to live just because the show needs more young guys. Glen's not enough!

The son is just total fodder now. They were giving him characterisation when they first introduced him when he was hunting for sophia with Rick's group and was lying about having herschel's permission. then he just fell into the background! i get the feeling he's maybe supposed to be Billy.

Since in the comic

most of Hershel's family die in the prison attack, i think they'll probably bring that idea forward to this season finale and on the farm because it's impossible to have a zombie attack finale without causalities and it seems getting rid of Herschel's family is probably feels like "the right time".

I think Hershel's son should live too. They really do need more people in the group to have the same "effect" the prison attack had. It's not going to be the same if just two people die, now is it? I agree about him just being Zombie Food though... him and T-Dog have almost no screen time. Im pretty sure he is Billy.... I think Rick called his name once, but i'm not sure... All I know is I can't wait till Tyrese and Michonne are introduced. They were awesome.

Also, most of Hershel's family died when his barn zombies busted out. He lost like 3 daughters and a couple of others if I remember correctly... All that were left were his twins, Maggie, and Billy. I hope Patricia makes it out... I don't really like her, but she could be important if they use her right. Throughout season 2 she has just been so sneaky...

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By X35

@TheWholeDamnShow: i know, i think just from a narrative point it would seem about right to bring the Hershel family thing forward so it all happens on the farm instead of the prison now

TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

@X35 said:

@TheWholeDamnShow: i know, i think just from a narrative point it would seem about right to bring the Hershel family thing forward so it all happens on the farm instead of the prison now

It most likely will happen now instead of later. I'm just worried that they might over do it.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rickbarry

I'm rather sad that they killed Shane. I realize that he died early on in the comic and it was necessary for Carl to be cool with murdering dudes, but the actor that portrayed Shane was just too good in my opinion. In fact the only reason I realize Rick is on the set is because of Shane. This Rick is too wishy washy and I don't know if I should blame the actor that portrays him or the writers. Perhaps Jon Bernthal (Shane) is the one that asked to be removed from the show after Darabont was fired? Seems he's doing another show with the guy called L.A. Noir.

The loss of both Dale and Shane will hurt the show as listening to most everyone else deliver lines, save for Hershel, can be painful. Just think of Rick talking about a deer for five minutes. Trainwreck television.

No Caption Provided

R.I.P. Shane. You shall be missed. Who will take up your tradition of shooting fat guys to get away from zombies? Anyone else more excited about seeing Merle again than The Governor? I never really enjoyed his character.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By X35

@Rickbarry said:

The loss of both Dale and Shane will hurt the show as listening to most everyone else deliver lines, save for Hershel, can be painful. Just think of Rick talking about a deer for five minutes. Trainwreck television.

he might not be the greatest actor but Daryl is still interesting to watch thankfully :)

ollie_arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ollie_arrow

Lori is a complete moron. I can't stand her character in the show.

GhostRider29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GhostRider29

I know most hated Shane, most wanted him dead either because of his character or the face that he dies him the comics real early. But I started to grow attached to this Shane character. I loved his death, and I have a feeling that what happens at the Barn will be similar to the prison. A lot of people are going to die. But I will miss Shane. Dale, on the other hand, I hated. I don't know why. He just irritated me. I liked Shane's point of view on life. I wish he and Andrea left the group.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hectorsquall

NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

Shane, you were the best of us, I'll never forget you,l'll always honor your memory. I swear it! I'll always honor your memory!

No Caption Provided
    R.I.P. SHANE WALSH, you will be missed!
    R.I.P. SHANE WALSH, you will be missed!

PS:This is the song Criminal by Disturbed, from their album Indestructible.

TVox520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TVox520

Yet another fantastic episode. That being said, I can't see what T-Dog brings to the show. From what I can remember from the first and second season, hes never brought anything "amazing" to the show.

Whatchuptu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Whatchuptu

I have to say that I enjoyed the episode...but the characters really seem to be in a state of flux here one minute Rick's quite happy to kill two men to protect his family the next he's risking his life to save a guy who tried to kill them, then he's driving him outta dodge to set him free, then kill him, then not. Laurie is changing her tune ever episode almost like she wanted Rick and Shane to go at it and was happy to take whoever came out on top (I can't stand her). I'm sorry to see Shane go (especially after loosing Dale) he had some of the best scenes in my opinion - but it had been building for a while. These last few episodes have been much better than the first halve of the season hopefully they carry this momentum through to the new season.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpitfireINK

(POTENTIAL SPOILER for Next WEEK's FINALE):

If Jon Bernthal (Shane) guest appearance at Emerald City Comic Con 2012 is any indication -

Laurie Holden (Andrea) may be NEXT!
    (which would seem plausible considering her acting resume')
    This would also explain the short clips we have seen of Andrea running through the woods - alone.

"NO ONE IS SAFE IN THIS SHOW!" - quote from KIRKMAN

HEY - And KIRKMAN will be at EMERALD CITY COMIC CON 2012 as well!
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

Luv me some T-Dogg!! Gotta keep him around or introduce Tyrese or Michonne or somebody else.

Scared Merle's gonna come back and torture him tho!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By X35

@Metatron_Da_Don: I'm sure the zombies will have gotten him before Merle.

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About fcking time they killed Shane. He died in freaking Volume 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.