The Walking Dead 2.10: "18 Miles Out"

Posted by inferiorego (22502 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Monday morning, and that means it's time to recap all the action from AMC's The Walking Dead last night, titled "18 Miles Home." This is one action packed episode of Walking Dead! As always, this is full of spoilers from Sunday night's episode, so if you don't want it ruined for yourself, stop reading now! SPOILERS!

Hordes of walkers!

Shane is being chased by walkers, and so is Rick. Randall, handcuffed, struggles to reach a knife. Shane finds shelter in a school bus and holds the doors shut as the hordes pound on the door.

There's someone in the trunk

Shane and Rick pull up to a crossroads in an SUV. They get out and walk around. Shane asks if they're going farther, and Rick says they are... 18 miles out. Rick says he heard what really happened at the school, referring to Otis. Shane admits he shot Otis in the leg and it was to survive. Rick says Shane doesn't think he can take care of his family. Rick says he'd do anything to save his son. Lori says he's dangerous and Rick tells him he wanted to beat him after he found out that Shane and Lori hooked up, but he didn't. Rick says he'll stay alive to keep them alive. Rick tells Shane that he doesn't love Lori, and the only way they can keep going is if Shane understands what Rick just said. Shane recalls how the world changed so quickly when the walkers first started coming. Shane tried to get Rick out of the hospital, but he couldn't. “I didn't keep Lori and Carl alive. They kept me alive.” Rick opens the trunk and it's revealed Randall from the other tribe, that hurt himself is tied up in back.

Knives are quiet and don't need reloading

Back in the car, Rick says they need to start using knives more because the guns attract walkers. He hopes that in the winter the cold slows down the walkers. Shane sees one far out in the field, alone. Rick talks about how they need to stock up for the upcoming winter with supplies and to be prepared as possible.

The dinner that never gets eaten Part 1

Lori brings food to Beth and tells her that after she eats they can go for a walk. Beth asks Lori is bringing a baby into the world will make a difference.

Visit beautiful Mert County!

Rick and Shane continue driving. They see the Mert County Department of Public Works and pull over. They walk to the fence and look around. Rick says they'll leave the boy there and scavenge some supplies. Rick spots a walker behind the fence, cuts his finger and rubs the blood on the fence. It runs towards the fence and receives a knife to the head. Rick spots another one and tells Shane it's his turn. They continue walking through the facility. It's a ghost town right now. Rick spots some charred bodies laying in a pile. Shane investigates the bus and it seems like at some point, someone was living there. Shane has the bodies of the two walkers they stabbed lined up and he says he doesn't see bites on the bodies. Rick says it must be scratched that changed them. Shane pulls the SUV into the facility and they pull the boy out of the car.

Beth wants out... of life

Lori walks into Beth's room. She is crying on the bed. Lori tells her she knows how hard it is. Beth says this is so pointless. Lori tells her she has so many people and she needs to stay strong for them. Beth thanks her. Lori says she'll be back to take a walk. Lori brings the tray down and notices the knife is missing. Lori runs back up and tells Beth she doesn't want to do it. Lori runs outside to find Maggie and Hershel.

Let's duke it out

Rick and Shane take the bag off the Randall's head and walk away... tied up. Randall pleads for help and says he's not like the rest of his crew. He says he went to school with Maggie and Rick and Shane stop in their tracks. Rick walks back yelling if he really went to school with Maggie. Randall says he'd never hurt any of them. Shane says he knows where the farm is and he may say something to his people. Shane pulls out his gun, but Rick pushes the gun away and it fires. It misses Randall. Rick wants to bring him back. Shane thinks it's a bad idea.

Shane tells Rick he doesn't think he can keep them safe. The two start to fist fight. Randall slowly crawls towards the knife on the ground. The two continue to duke it out. Shane pulls a motorcycle onto Rick, then grabs the gun from under the firetruck. Shane is about to fire at Randall, but then Rick tackles him. Randall reaches the knife and begins to cut the bindings. Rick tells Shane he won't let him make these calls anymore. Shane tosses an axe through a window. A walker gets up and crawls through the window. It jumps on Rick and Rick knifes it in the head. The a dozen more come out of the building.

Bring on the walkers!

Shane is running from a horde of walkers. One of the walkers spots the Randall, bound up and runs towards him. Randall escapes and breaks the walker's arm. The Randall stabs the walker multiple times in the head.

Lori ain't no queen bee

Lori and Andrea are downstairs and can hear Maggie yelling. Andrea thinks it could have been handled better by leaving the knife with Beth. Lori thinks that's not the best idea. Lori says Andrea doesn't care about anything but herself and she doesn't help out with what the rest of the women do around the farm. Andrea says Lori is self-centered and she takes everything for granted. Andrea is sick of Lori setting up the rules for everyone else and acting like the Queen Bee.

Dog pile on Rick

Rick fights off walkers and shoots one in the head. Two more grasp for him and he shoots them both. He struggles to get them both off of him and grabs the knife.

Maggie tells Beth that her dad would be mad about this to find his daughter is a coward. Beth says that her and Maggie should help each other kill themselves before the farm is over-run. She thinks they're alone against all the walkers in the world. She wants to die by the evening with Maggie beside her. She begs.

It cuts like a knife...

Shane runs from the walkers and makes it onto the bus. His back is against the door. He takes out a knife, cuts his hand and wipes the blood on the door frame. A walker tries to lick the blood and Shane stabs it in the head.

Andrea comes up to Beth's room and tells Maggie to take a break. Andrea sits down and Beth asks if she's going to say something. Andrea gets up and opens the door. She asks if this is what she wants. Andrea says the pain doesn't go away. You just make room for it.

Rick grabs Randall and they both hide behind the cop car. Randall is confused why Rick is going to stay. Randall thinks they should leave. They both stare at the bus and eventually, Rick and Randall walk away, and Shane just watches them.

7 years bad luck

Maggie walks to Beth's room and pounds on the door. It's locked. Lori grabs a piece of metal and pries the door open. Beth has slit her wrist with a piece of the mirror.

Drive-by Ricking

Rick and Randall continue walking. They stop in front of the dead walker guards. Rick grabs their guns and stares at them. The walkers pound on the bus door. Shane stabs another one in the head. Rick and Randall come flying up in the SUV. Shane jumps out the back of the bus and into the SUV. A walker gets its head run over.

Andrea runs towards the farm house and Maggie is mad that Andrea didn't stay with Beth. Maggie tells Andrea Beth will live because the cut wasn't deep. Maggie tells her not to ever step foot inside the house again. Andrea walks away.

One less lonely walker

The SUV is pulled over. Rick puts the headphones back on Randall, tosses him into the car, and puts the bag back over his head. Rick tells Shane they're probably going to have to kill Randall. Rick tells Shane if he's going to be with them, then he has to follow Rick's lead. Rick gives Shane a gun. They drive away. Shane spots the same walker from earlier, in the field, walking alone.

What did you guys think of this episode?

Staff
#1 Posted by JangoCrossfire (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought last night's episode was pretty good. Lots of zombies is always a good thing.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I still cant believe there going to kill that kid also the less Zombies the better IMO

#3 Posted by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

They seem to be spinning their wheels. The whole thing with the kid is just stupid. Why save him in the first place just to kill him later? Why shoot his whole squad in cold blood but carry him with you? And lastly, I look at them as savages if they just plan to kill everyone they meet. Why didn' they all just shoot each other in the first place instead of banding together? I am bored cause they don't have a plot, it's just Falcon Crest with zombies right now.

#4 Edited by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally got some action last night but again, a bit too much drama with Lori. Although Andrea essentially poked that bee hive so to speak. See what I did there, you know, with Lori being called the Queen Bee in the article....*cough*. Anyway, my lame attempts aside good episode but plenty of people missing from the story last night. Andrea's actions could be construed as being a bit off. Especially when Hershel finds out, she won't be welcome around. Lori eventually agreeing about Andrea skipping out on Beth allowing her to do what she did and then telling Maggie she agreed, was more off than anything. I think Maggie would have been pissed with that as well, kind of a bad point in that incident. By the way Maggie is HAWT and hope she kicks the poop out of Lori and Andrea they're both getting on my nerves with their drama.

Rick seems to have forgiven Shane for all he's done. Mighty generous of him but will it be a decision he will later come to regret? They will probably keep the kid around, and I happened to glimpse next week's episode before I could change the channel in time and he was in it so that bit was kind of lame. Hate it when they show previews for next week.

Why did Shane not mention the lone walker in the field? You'd think he would say something and off it. Wonder if it will return. Wonder if it is Otis?

#5 Posted by dancedolldance (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were in that zombie apocalypse, I would band together with as many people as possible. They shouldn't kill the kid.

#6 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review!

I did love how the "lone walker" bookends the episode - it added a lot to the mood of the story and the "reality" of the situation. It is a real, "Little House on the Prairie, with Zombies" moment. ;)

I also feel that the Randall portion of the story is being WAY drawn out... I understand it is supposed to highlight Rick's internal struggle and set him even farther apart from Shane, but still - and now in the next episode he gets the crap kicked out of him by Daryl? How nice. I agree with , it hasn't been THAT long since they were all strangers!

The "scratches" portion of the story really makes them pause, and I hope they do more with "the spread" of the zombieism...

Finally, the "fight" - which one had the sunglasses? ;) seems unlikely Rick would have survived, given Shane has what it takes to kill someone (without taking the night to sleep on it) - I am also not too keen on how much Rick actually trusts Shane... just doesn't make sense, then again maybe Shane is a more complex character than has been portrayed so far.

#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8410 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see Rick killing the boy, but then again, I shouldn't be predicting anything.

#8 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how the kid was able to walk around all fine and dandy after he was so injured last episode. i was confused, i thought he had to be amputated? i like the new kid though hope they don't kill him. a mix of different character is more fun than just the same groups.

#9 Edited by The Stegman (23764 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved last night's episode, and it was a nice twist when  

gave them an extra incentive in wanting to kill him
#10 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

come to think of it, they might do that story with the "Gym teacher" from the comics with the new kid...

The one where Rick brings a guy claiming to be a Gym coach to their prison and he was going to betray them and Rick tracks him down and kills him when he sneaks off in the middle of the night to tell his people how to get to the prison
#11 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was the best episode for this half of seaosn 2

#12 Posted by Nicodemus (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they are skipping the prison and heading straight to Woodbury. Also, I think Meryl's in Woodbury.

#13 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nicodemus: the prison's such an iconic and long part... i'd be surprised if they skipped it over. when the first arrived at the place in this ep, the bit with the fence reminded me of the prison scenes from the comic

#14 Posted by AlKusanagi (600 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Shane still alive?!? Y U no make good decisions, Rick?

#15 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Andrea. The conversation in the kitchen was great.

I've noticed the undercurrent that this group of survivors have adopted traditional gender roles that Andrea doesn't fit into (esp. since she used to be a high powered attorney that is supposed to be very smart), but it was great for her to point out that she knows how to shoot and what she does is more crucial than lemon scented pillows. Both women had good points, but considering Andrea's prior skills with a gun, it seems like her duties have more to do with her natural talents while Lori has a role that suits hers. Lori herself indulged in a little gender-specific language earlier, when she was talking to Maggy.
#16 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats was an awesome episode!! Full of action, the show its picking up!

#17 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35 said:

@Nicodemus: the prison's such an iconic and long part... i'd be surprised if they skipped it over. when the first arrived at the place in this ep, the bit with the fence reminded me of the prison scenes from the comic

Yea same, I thought it was for a bit 

@PhoenixoftheTides: she was a collage student and a clerk at a law firm not a high powered attorney 
#18 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Gah! Im so conflicted.I have also read the comic books (which are 10X more amazing and that not me trying to diss the show I really like it) and I like the idea of the Show being a "what if" version of the books. I dont want to see everything that was done in the comic for the show, but I really like certain characters over others and would be really pissed if they died in the show. I hate Shane, but im starting to like hating him, and I know what sort of decisions rick would make once he becomes leader of the group and there is not a power struggle.

Maybe it would be good if Shane killed him and he then had to work out his problems with the group while moving forward in the series. One of them will have to die soon so that we can get going, all the drama is driving me nuts. I think that Shane and Rick are two sides of the same coin and they will only keep butting heads and get everyone killed if it goes on much longer.

I really enjoyed the Zombies in the episode though.

#19 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanosrules said:

Finally, the "fight" - which one had the sunglasses? ;) seems unlikely Rick would have survived, given Shane has what it takes to kill someone (without taking the night to sleep on it) - I am also not too keen on how much Rick actually trusts Shane... just doesn't make sense, then again maybe Shane is a more complex character than has been portrayed so far.

I dunno. Rick seemed pretty decisive when he killed the two guys in the bar.

#20 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonkeyToe: Very true... but that was a "clear and present danger" - I guess Rick has to switch his view of Shane... because Shane is certainly a danger, clear enough to me! ;)

#21 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to know what is up with Shane looking at that walker, is that some plot twist element?

#22 Posted by MarvelMan1985 (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@KRYPTON : No...not really, I think the viewer can make that up for himself. The first time I see it as a 'danger always lerking". The second time around I think it's meant as "Seeing the same thing, but in a different light. As in that Shane hopefully made a change for the good. That being sad,  

AWESOME EPISODE!
#23 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@KRYPTON : @MarvelMan1985: i think it might also be a bit symbolic, the zombie was all by himself which was much like shane feels particularly after the lashing from rick

idk i'm rubbish at symbolism

#24 Posted by The Impersonator (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome episode!

#25 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

or maybe the twist will be... it's OTIS back from the grave for REVENGE... haha

#26 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O: Yeah if Otis died in a suit, yeah it'd be Otis. Unless I missed an episode and zombies finally found out that they are tired of wearing bloodstained clothing, lol.

#27 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

@KRYPTON : I know I know. I actually deleted that comment because of that and I also remembered he virtually got completely eviscerated by the Zomibes anyway. Guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

#28 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The part that got me most interested was that scene where Shane pointed out to Rick about those two Mert County Sheriff's deputies that were dead and zombified but apparently had not been bitten. Then they tried reasoning that they had been scratched but from how it listened to me they found no scratch marks, but then again they didn't search the bodies enough either. I wonder if they are trying to convey for the show how Kirkman does it fort he comics, that the zombie virus is in the living already and that the bite doesn't cause the zombification, that merely dying does? Its intriguing to say the least.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

The part that got me most interested was that scene where Shane pointed out to Rick about those two Mert County Sheriff's deputies that were dead and zombified but apparently had not been bitten. Then they tried reasoning that they had been scratched but from how it listened to me they found no scratch marks, but then again they didn't search the bodies enough either. I wonder if they are trying to convey for the show how Kirkman does it fort he comics, that the zombie virus is in the living already and that the bite doesn't cause the zombification, that merely dying does? Its intriguing to say the least.

Yea I was going to say that, it's bound to go the way of the comic 
#30 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

That walker in the field. Seemed very important to me for some reason, and I hope the symbolism is touched on somehow.

Also great article, but some parts ween't exact.

You failed to mention that Beth realized that she wanted to live after all, which I thought was very important in terms of Andrea's conflicts in this episode.

#31 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the better episodes of the season. Wonder if they'll kill off Shane by the end of the season? Prison?

#32 Posted by fivestarga (239 posts) - - Show Bio

I adore Shane, I hope he continues to whip some ass and take some names.

#33 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this episode and i believe it was the best of the season so far. Finally we get to the chase of Rick confronting shane about Otis and Laurie. I was glas they just got right down to it and that it wasnt dragged on again. I wont summarize everything i liked because i generally liked everything but two things stood out to me. On was i felt like when shane threw the wrench/tool at Rick and saw his reflection he looked like a walker and he saw the wild/desperate side in himself. It was subtle yet in only two seconds he looked straight into his own eyes. The second kinda "artsy" thing i liked was the lone walker in both the beginning and end. Some people are saying it is Ottis which it could be. But i thought rather it was a representation of Shane seeing thats what happens when you dont have a group and your just a lone warrior. After Rick saved his ass he sees that he does need others or else hed end up like the lone walker: alone, dead, and hungry.

#34 Posted by MarvelMan1985 (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35: That could be cool too! That he is leading the other zombies to their hide-out. Like in the original Dawn of the Dead, where that pilot guy gets zombiefied and leads them to the upper mall part where the survivors are located. :o
#35 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty good episode.

#36 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O: But that would be cool if it was Otis and somehow he still had his memory even as a zombie and was going to kill Shane for leaving him, anything is possible in the walking dead.

#37 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i was joking when i said it was Otis... that'd be crappy...

#38 Edited by HeroMuseum (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally had a chance to watch the episode last night. I thought it was excellent but as some others have stated, putting myself in Rick's shoes, Shane really needs to be dealt with, one way or another. If he doesn't have enough self control to stay away from Rick's family (I'm not convinced he does) he needs to be taken care of, unfortunately.

#39 Posted by Praetor_fenix (222 posts) - - Show Bio

This was actually great, i had considered stop watching this show, but the last couple episodes were pretty good. Still, i hate Lori, and all that damisel in distress cliché she's trying to invoque. But IMO Andrea was also a bitch, i mean she had a point in that "queen bee" lecture, but lost all creibility when she left Beth to commit suicide rule #1 in suicide behavior you do not leave them unatended. Take it form me i have a little bit of experience in that kind of matters.

#40 Posted by Fascism (11 posts) - - Show Bio

that zombie is going to lead the other zombies to the farm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.