Should The Virus be Explained in The Walking Dead TV series?

Avatar image for the_angry_comic_book_critic
    The Angry Comic Book Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is the question do we want to know all the science behind the walkers or should it stay a mystery like in the comic series and all those George Romero Films?

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By weaponxx

It should be a mystery until near the end. It is better that way and always keeps one wondering. They can give little bits of info along the way, but I say do not tell us!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx: Don't you think the unknown virus that raises the dead thing has been done to death no pun intended
    SpookyBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SpookyBill

I would prefer not to know, not knowing means there is no hope for a cure. 
    But since they already showed 3 viruses they're going to take a stab at a cause. I just hope they use real science.     

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

no...Robert Kirkman has said it himself many times over now...the cause of the virus isn't important to what's going on

one of the things that I like about the book is the mystery...the group knows nothing about what is going on in the outside world...there is no source of information for them....for all they know they could be the last group of living humans on the planet

the CDC stuff on the show still isn't setting well with me...not because it's different from the book..I've liked the changes so far...but because it feels out of place...the survivors have found supposed safe havens before but nothing to this extent...in the previews they talk about what's going on in other countries...again I don't want to know this stuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself:  I kind of like the direction there taking with the series because every time I read or watch something zombie related save for World War Z it's always the same with an isolated group of survivors that keep asking each other whats going on in the rest of the world and no answers are ever not that it hasn't been great in the past with such classics as Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the dead but I'd kind of like to see things on a more global scale with a little more reason for what is happening. Don't get me wrong I love The Walking Dead Comics but I'd just like a little more insight on the rest of the world and the cause
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By weaponxx
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic:  Yes, I think it has in general, but that still doesn't mean that this can't be fun, and hopefully they will do it differently. I am not saying it is a great idea, but it is better than telling audiences what exactly happened right away. The thing I have liked so far in the show is that no one has even mentioned what happened. If they start asking around about it and no one knows, I can see how that can be annoying.  I feel like there have been many more occasions when the reason for a virus or whatever the cause, is explained in the beginning  and then the story goes on from there. In all honesty, I could go either way, I just don't want it to be like every other story.... zombie apocalypse has been done to death in general, regardless of if they tell the reason or not. It needs to be done in a new way. 
    webhe4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By webhe4d

I wouldn't mind it, just like I don't mind the direction the show is going. Sure it's great if the show stays true to it's comic roots, but we already have that. Wouldn't you guys like to see a slightly different approach to things on the show?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Icon

No, that's not the point of the series. 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Theodore

I say yes, in the show it would be good. Not in the comic though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx:  It's not likely that we'll see something new with how the stories of the zombpocolypse are told because frankly there isn't that many ways to tell these stories that won't make them completely retard if one comes out and it's a new take and good I say more power to them
    Prims777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By Prims777

I'm hesitant to say reveal it because it could end up getting botched so bad that'd it'd make the whole series look stupid. But so far they've handled the series really well so I have faith... for now.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Korg
    @danhimself said:
    "the CDC stuff on the show still isn't setting well with me...not because it's different from the book..I've liked the changes so far...but because it feels out of place...the survivors have found supposed safe havens before but nothing to this extent...in the previews they talk about what's going on in other countries...again I don't want to know this stuff "
    This sums up my feelings as well. The whole thing with brain scans and test subjects and everything... it almost seems like the antithesis of the book for me. It's the I Am Legend movie/book disparity all over again... I don't like it.
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By weaponxx
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic: Agreed. All I can do is hope. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx: Thats all we can ever do Still tonight might be the make or Brake episode for fans of the show
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By weaponxx
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic:  I agree again, haha! I think this will be pivotal in terms of the direction the show will go... unfortunately, I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow, so don't spoil it for me ;) .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx:  I won't I never blog that late at night
    .o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
    @The Angry Comic Book Critic: 
    I don't think it's necessary, for me the books were all about how people survive and cope. What some people will do when introduced to stress, what measures they'll go to.  For me, a lot of the time it could be zombies, it could be unicorns with a bone to pick.  Put simply, the zombies are there to drive the characters to a point where we start to see survival mechanisms, rationalising horrible acts, crossing moral lines.  That's where I think the brilliance lies.  It's not about 'you gotta get 'em in the head' its far murkier and ambiguous.  The panels may be in black and white but the story's grey.  I'm a fan of zombies but I think I would be reading the Walking Dead and watching the subsequent show even if it was something else supernatural.

So for me, the explaination of the virus I could take or leave.  It wouldn't be a put off (unless of course it turns into a hunt for 'the anidote at base alpha!' which I doubt)  The final episode shed some light on the process which I liked.

Well, here's to waiting 10 months to see where it takes us.

Also, nice to know someone else survived Yonkers ; ]
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xybernauts

It depends on whether it helps to fuel the drama.  I think the movie The Crazies is a good example of how conflict can be fueled by a scientific zombie virus.  What I loved about this movie is it took the time to demonstrate an accurate depiction of a military response to such an epidemic. They tried to contain the virus and when they couldn't they fire-bombed the county. So far it's the failure to hint at an adequate military response bothers me. Why is the government crippled?  Do they ever explain in the comics, why the virus spreads so rapidly?

Personally I'd prefer the zombie concept teeter-toter between the supernatural and the scientific. For the first few episodes focused on the concept of being overwhelmed by zombie. When they don't show that overwhelming volume the show lags behind in my opinion. 

Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
    deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they might as well, they've already done a lot of other thing quite differently from the comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.