inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    As comic book fans, many of us have become quite cynical when it comes to one of our favorite series translated into a film or television show. There's no such thing as a perfect translation, and that's a tough idea to grasp when you love something so much. This is exactly how I felt going into AMC's The Walking Dead last night. The show has everything going for it: great cast, great director (Frank Darabont), it's on a great network, and it's based off an amazing story, but at the same time, I got worried, and I couldn't tell you why, even though I knew this show was going to be stellar.

Pre-conceived assumptions aside, I eventually sat down with a fellow Walking Dead comic fan, and we watched the episode. Immediately, I was sucked in. The show was an amazing mixture of the panels from the comic I fell in love with and the work of Frank Darabont. The look of the show was great, and although it wasn't the direct translation that comic fans dream of, it was better than I thought it would be. It was gritty, but better yet, believable. Sure, the idea of a zombie outbreak is a little far-fetched, but you get sucked in to a point where you truly start to believe this could happen. The hour and a half episode led Rick Grimes throughout the South and it ends as Rick reaches downtown Atlanta. Andrew Lincoln was amazing as Rick Grimes, and so was the rest of the cast.
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    Thematically, the show was dead on compared to the comic book.  The Walking Dead was never about zombies, but human survival and familial bonds. Zombies are merely a side dish to everything else happening, and this show really hit on that. The book has always been depressing, in a good way, and the show is no different. It's bleak, solitary, and quiet... oh so quiet. There was little to no music within the show. The ambient noise of the dead cities and towns became the soundtrack and it worked oh so well, and even though the show didn't have too much going on in it, I was never bored. I was glued to my seat. It was weirdly one of the most exciting things I've watched on television in quite some time.

Generally, with pilot episodes, I try not to be too critical because most of them suck compared to the rest of the series. I'll usually give a show 2-4 episodes before deciding to drop or watch it. Surprisingly, this 1 1/2 hour episode was awesome start to finish. I have a good feeling that this show will just keep getting better and better over the season, so be prepared. Even throughout the first episode, I kept saying to myself, "I can't wait to own this on blu-ray." That's how much I enjoyed it. What did you guys think of the episode? Did you love it? Hate it? Miss it?
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By turoksonofstone

Good stuff. Loved it. Going to be the hit it should be.

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ckal

I thought this show was awesome. I haven't read the comics yet so I can't compare, but it was just a really fun watch. Looking forward to this every Sunday (believe it is right after Boardwalk Empire so it works out well).

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By The_Martian

I haven't read the comics, but I loved the first episode of this.

daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By daken_2513

it definitly lives up to the hype the show was awesome and the zombies looked so good
    GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By GraveSp

I liked it, I think that other episodes will probably be better, this first one may have been a little slow but I can definitely see the show getting a lot better in the coming days.  I thought it looked really good and the actors' performance were great.  Definitely going to watch the series as it progresses. 

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself

completely agree with everything you said in the review...I to was glued to my seat...I don't care how full my dvr gets I'm going to keep every episode of the season on it just so I can watch them all back to back when the season is over

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
    *Covers Ears and Closes Eyes*
    LALALALALAlALALALALaLALALALALALALALALA!

The Mexican premiere is tonight so I will not read this until I watch it tonight!
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @sora_thekey said:
    " *Covers Ears and Closes Eyes* LALALALALAlALALALALaLALALALALALALALALA!  The Mexican premiere is tonight so I will not read this until I watch it tonight! "
    lo siento
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Decept-O

This is the only time I truly regret not having cable ( or satellite)  TV.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Primmaster64
    @inferiorego: It was awesome...but I was like WTF in the ending....hey are you doing a Superman Earth One review?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Primmaster64 said:

" @inferiorego: It was awesome...but I was like WTF in the ending....hey are you doing a Superman Earth One review? "

i was surprised they stopped where they did.... i'll just wait until next week

nope, no Earth One review, at least not from me. I did read it last week, but I have a real love/hate relationship with that OGN. I can't make up my mind on it.
    nicknicholby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nicknicholby

I, uber geekily followed along with my walking dead compendium and was very impressed with the show.  the filming was spectacular looking and i love that they fleshed out some of the stories.  A+ and now I have to stay home on Sunday nights

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I enjoyed watching that. Well developed drama, and it's really hard to give an exposition to a zombie series without getting cliche. It was longer than I thought.

A touch I enjoyed is what happens in this series was in the mythos of when you become infected. That the bite doesn't quickly change you, but you suffer a terrible fever that will eventually kill you. Tat seems reasonable. The human body raises temperature when it's trying to fight off an infection, and what is a zombie curse but a serious infection?

It was also creepy how the zombie could still do actions that were habitual. It made them more creepy, such as that man's zombie wife coming to try and open the door.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64
    @inferiorego: I did not like that review....But is anyone else doing one? like Babs?
    countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By countvontrey
    @Decept-O said:
    " This is the only time I truly regret not having cable ( or satellite)  TV. "
    That's me too.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @inferiorego: I did not like that review....But is anyone else doing one? like Babs? "
    I thought that was my best review yet
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I really liked the premiere. It was very artistic and the lead is amazing. Definitely going to follow it for a while.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Primmaster64
    @inferiorego: LOL! I meant the IGN review
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Absolutely loved it. The first 30 minutes just sucked me in. I think the best thing about watching it was watching it in the dark (despite hearing yells of my parents watching the Saints game). Yeah, there are some changes from the comic book, but not to the point where fans shouldn't get upset about it. The ending really caught me off guard cause it was so sudden.
    I will continue watching this.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @inferiorego: LOL! I meant the IGN review "
    lol. I meant "OGN" as in "Original Graphic Novel."
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Primmaster64
    @inferiorego: lol
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sydpart2

I liked this show, what I thought was good about it is that they showed the gore. A lot of stuff that goes on TV like this will have the gore taken right out, but this had it and just made it a kind of norm which I felt was appropriate.

Preacherl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Preacherl2k

Just to give everybody an idea the show did for a AMC show here's some info:

"New York, NY – November 1, 2010 – Last night’s premiere of AMC’s original series, “The Walking Dead” resulted in a 3.7 HH rating netting over 5.3 total million viewers making it the largest audience for any original series on the network.  The Adults 18-49 demo garnered 3.6 million viewers making it the highest delivery for any cable series premiere for 2010."

For AMC that's HUGEEEEE!

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I loved it.

Hollister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hollister

It was alright, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on I wouldn't mind watching...
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've only seen abit now and i love. I haven't read the comic yet.

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By spider-man 2996

I can't wait till Friday because the first episode is showing in Ireland!!!
    Sek0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sek0n

It was great. Completely agree with the review, came in hoping for the best, but not expecting it. Was more than pleasantly surprised with the outcome. :) 

Definitely a show that will keep me coming back!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phantomzxro

I have to say it was a slow start for me and i felt it missed the boat a few times at the start of the show. I did not like the flashforward of rick because i felt it was a bad set up of the show. I understand why they did it to get people hooked but i felt it lost the slow burn the show should of had in seeing the zombies for the first time. When rick met up with the morgans i felt they were a little over dramatic but that could just be me. Also Spoiler<<<<<<<<<I think they shot the gun a little early in showing shane relationship with rick's wife    >>>>>end. Once again this could be me i just hope they don't try to reveal to much all the time and let us put the facts together on our own. I really liked how it was a slow burn in the book. 
    Now this may sound like i was hating on the show but i really did like it and it one of those things were you have to let the tv show be its own thing. But as a show i feel they are trying a bit to hard to hook people into the show and not letting some of the more gratifying slow burns happen. I think it is because this was the first show which they did not want to pull any punches, i get that. But what did win me over was when rick got to the city, that was some great stuff and how it ended will go on record as being a highlight for me.
    Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lovenuggets

"Hey you...In the Tank...feeling comfy?" LOLOLOLOL that made me lol so hard.

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toastalchemist

I liked it, but it seemed a bit too serious. It seemed to forget that it had zombies in it a times. Also, all the zombies were taken out with one quick shot to the head (expect in the tank scene) which made them seem like mere annoyances than an actual threat. 

Fresh0133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By Fresh0133
    @Toastalchemist:   That's what Morgan warned him about when they were chatting in the house.  By themselves the Zombies aren't much of a threat, but when a big herd of them coming after you they're a huge threat.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Theodore

I love the comic and I loved the show. Lennie James' acting was incredible, when he couldn't shoot his wife I almost cried.

mighty dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mighty dude

Haven't seen it yet, but my dad said it was one of the best TV shows he has ever seen!
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By longbowhunter

Not only did this show live up to the hype it surpassed it. I was up until 3am talking about it with people online. I hope this show runs a few seasons at least. I wanna see 'em get to the prison.
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

I thought it was awesome. I'm glad it was oh so quiet. Made it feel like "OMG" was going on in my head non-stop.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By roadbuster

Sadly haven't had time to watch this yet... I'm guessing this is going to be one of those shows where I catch up on DVD or DVR all at once months from now.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrBeardface
    @Toastalchemist said:
    " I liked it, but it seemed a bit too serious. It seemed to forget that it had zombies in it a times. Also, all the zombies were taken out with one quick shot to the head (expect in the tank scene) which made them seem like mere annoyances than an actual threat.  "
    That's kinda the point of the series as I see it:  It isn't the zombies you have to watch out for, it's the humans.  But more on that as the show progresses :P
    The Wumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The Wumbo

I thought it was pretty dope, especially for the first episode. The lack of music was definitely a nice touch because it gave the world an eerie vibe.  There were some outstanding camera shot as well. Can't wait til next week.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By danhimself

so not only did the show have 5.3 million viewers last night but it had the highest ratings for any of AMC's premieres....I'd say the show is doing to do very well

Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By CaptainCockblock

This show rocks. Even the scene with Rick and his partner just sitting in the car talking was so enthralling. It reminds me of Quentin Tarantino and how he can make a half hour scene of three guys sitting in a bar absolutely exciting. And of course, the final scene in Atlanta was awesome. Loved the show. Great review, Matt!

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By Pizawle

Thought it was quite good. AMC always delivers. However, it was a tad drawn out for what it accomplished.

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _Grifter_

I was greatly impressed with it, I wonder how they'll do the prision arc. Also curious to see who they will get to play the Governor of Woodbury.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NightFang3

I thought the  premiere was pretty awesome and i'm hoping the show keeps doing well.  

Avatar image for crazyasahatter77
    crazyasahatter77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crazyasahatter77

As a person who loves the zombie genre, I have to say that The Walking Dead is the kind of thing that zombie fans have been waiting for. A show set in a zombie apocalypse where you just don't get little windows into Rick Grimes life, but you see the whole experiences that he must go through. I loved the show and I have to agree, the scene where Morgan couldn't shoot his zombie wife was as tragic a scene as I have seen in a long time, especially after looking at the family pictures and seeing how in love they were.

The make-up on many of what I like to call "glamour" zombies was excellent, especially the half rotted bicycle woman. A freind actually asked me how they did that and I had to explain the finer details of prosthetic make up and how she was in a hole in the ground to her waist. The Atlanta scene was simply epic. The one part I was disappointed in was that Rick never opened the door to the cafeteria. Would have loved to see him fight with a zombie in the stair well also. All in all I was very pleased with the show and I can't wait to see how they get Rick out of the tank.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Eyz

I really loved this!
    It really had a beautiful cinematic feel!
    And I mean that unlike most current "hollywood" garbage-movies we've seen lately.
    Great production values, great shots, angles, scenes..etc..

Just an amazing zombie story!
    And quite faithful to boot!

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I loved it! I cannot wait for the appearance of Michonne!
    Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Icemizer

Having skipped the books even though they came highly recommended I can look at this without its preconceived notions running through my head. First thought is that I liked it. Yes its zombies and there are some logic holes to work through(Just how long was this guy laying in his hospital bed? A week? A month?Thats a long time to go without food or water. IV drip or not. Why if you know sound attracts zombies would you go into a building with a rifle and start shooting? Do the zombies have a time limit and stop trying to get to the source of the sound after a few hours?). What really caught my attention in this pilot was the atmosphere of the piece. The overwhelming silence was perfect. Another thing I found likeable was that some of the zombies just sort of sit there until they hear a noise and then they begin to shuffle about. I never really liked zombies that just keep moving around for no reason. Not really sure why our lead abandoned his car in favor of a horse other than for the visual of the poor beast getting eaten.  Just how many zombies does it take to stop a tank? Guess I might find that out next week. 
    Over all I will be tuning in for the remainder of the season. The characters are interesting and not just the usual zombie fodder you see so often. The tone and pace have me wanting more. Now if AMC was only in HD for me.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#49  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @Icemizer: Pretty sure he ditched the car cause it ran out of gas and that will be an ongoing problem for any vehicle so switching to a horse made more sense.

I loved the show and Lennie James, like always, was incredible, it is a shame that he probably won't be back. The only part I didn't like was the opening with the little girl, I'm not a big fan of openings that happen in the future and then it skips back for the whole episode.

Did anybody else watch the montage trailer for the rest of season one after the credits of the premiere? It was awesome and I am totally looking forward to this and season 2. I can see this easily lasting a minimum of three seasons, only way it could last less is if amc really screws things up with the lead actor, kirkman, or the director.
    Avatar image for amazingcomiccon
    amazingcomiccon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By amazingcomiccon

Robert Kirkman of the WALKING DEAD makes a rare convention appearance as he headlines the Amazing Arizona Comic Con.

The show takes place January 8th and 9th, 2011 at the mesa Convention Center, just outside of Phoenix.

In addition to Robert Kirkman, the guest list includes:
    *Rob Liefeld- Deadpool creator
    *Jeph Loeb- Marvel Vice President Writer of Red Hulk and Avengers
    *Victor Gischler- writer of new monthly X-Men and Deadpool MWM, and DPC
    *John Layman- Eisner & Harvey Award winning creator of CHEW
    *Ryan Ottley- artist of Invincible & Haunt
    *Corey Walker- artist of Invincible

And a bunch more...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.