AMC's The Walking Dead Blu-ray & DVD Details

Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
The Walking Dead on AMC was a success. Those that have been reading The Walking Dead comic and many that haven't loved the show. Pretty much the only complaint was the first season only had six episodes. We have to wait until October for Season 2. 

If you've been waiting for The Walking Dead to be released on Blu-ray or DVD, you won't have to wait as long. Anchor Bay has announced that the complete first season will be available on March 8, 2011. It will have a suggested retail price of $49.99 for the Blu-ray and $39.98 for DVD (of course you can pre-order it online for 37% cheaper).  

The price might be a little high but keep in mind how good it was. Another thing to consider is because it was on AMC, the network most likely doesn't bring in as much as a major network. You could think of the purchase as a way to support the show and AMC. I'm thankful it was a hit and we're getting a second season. 

What about special features? 
 == TEASER == 
According to the press release, the Blu-ray contains the following: 
  Featurettes:
  • The Making of THE WALKING DEAD
  • Inside THE WALKING DEAD: Episode 1-6
  • A Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman
  • Behind The Scenes Zombie Make-Up Tips
  • Convention Panel With Producers
  • THE WALKING DEAD Trailer

Extra Footage:
  • Zombie School
  • Bicycle Girl
  • On Set With Robert Kirkman
  • Hanging With Steven Yeun
  • Inside Dale’s RV
  • On Set With Andrew Lincoln

There wasn't any mention of special features for the DVD so I would assume they were the same.
#1 Posted by FierceYouth (32 posts) - - Show Bio

:D So excited already! 

#2 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7562 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not seen the show but I heard good things. So, I am going to have to buy this DVD. 

#3 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. Will be buying this day one hopefully.

#4 Edited by Sublimedo (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely getting it on blu!! I remember reading that Darabont  was to include a black and white version of the show ala "The Mist" DVD. Is this not the case anymore? Would have loved to see Walking Dead in glorious BnW!!!

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7749 posts) - - Show Bio

I may get this if it comes through my girlfriend's store. Already watched all the episodes, some multiple times.
#6 Posted by DanSaka (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!
#7 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting it.
#8 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the series while it was on. It was fun to take part in the series as a community. I wouldn't really want this series on Blu-ray. Due to the digital transfer my local cable company was doing. I missed two of the episodes. It wasn't cleared up until the last episode in my area. Now, what I am looking forward to on Blu-ray is Summer Wars and Evangelion 2.0.

Who knows, you might get an advanced copy of the Blu-ray as you do with some other movies. I do enjoy writing reviews over on Anime Vice. I certainly envy your position of how you often get advanced copies of DVD or comics to review.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely getting this....but I'm kind of upset that they're not including the motion comic that AMC did on their website

#10 Posted by vicsrealms (85 posts) - - Show Bio

$50 dollars for the blu ray version?  Questionable especially with only 6 episodes.  I thought the series was ok.  Will need to see how season 2 and 3 turns out.  Still, having nightmares over Heroes after the great first season.  As for single season shows, none of them compare to Firefly or Babylon 5 Crusade.  So, I will wait and see.

#11 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio

it will be mine!

#12 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@vicsrealms: $31 on amazon.
#13 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic!

Though, I gotta say...
Great series - weak season finale :/

#14 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait
#15 Posted by TheClap (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Day one

#16 Posted by spider-man 2996 (659 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#18 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" it will be mine! "
#19 Posted by DTheory777 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say the book was way better than the TV series

#20 Posted by Grim (2082 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: Hollywood has been purposely ruining DVD sales so that people buy Blu-Ray. If this is anything like Kick-Ass, Ironman, or every other cool video to come out since September, the DVD copy will have (at best) half the features of the Blu-Ray copy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.