AMC Renews Walking Dead for a Second Season

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      Man, opening the series with the main character capping a little kid zombie was SERIOUSLY ballsy.
     Man, opening the series with the main character capping a little kid zombie was SERIOUSLY ballsy.

Déjà vu of the dead...  

I thought this already happened several weeks ago, but it seems like that was a rumor.  Now, the official story from Deadline is that, even with only two episodes aired, THE WALKING DEAD has already been renewed by AMC for a second, 13-episode-long season. That’s going to surprise absolutely nobody who’s been paying attention, because the show’s been doing absurd numbers stateside and across every corner of the world (seriously, it broke premiere records in 120 countries.) They’re even saying that it’s the most successful cable TV show debut in history, reaching more viewers in the elusive “18-49” bracket than any other.

Hmm... if an unsubstantiated rumor comes true eventually, what does that make the rumor? A premonition of the future? Augurs in ancient Rome "read" bird entrails to make predictions - - perhaps the zombie-heads did something similar with their kind of guts here?

Putting my morbid thoughts aside and getting back on point, there’s a quote from Sharon Tal Yguado, one of AMC’s Vice Presidents, that’s actually rather telling about the success of the show…

“I wish all programming decisions were no brainers like this one… Walking Dead’ is a TV masterpiece on so many levels. We want at least 10 seasons, if not more. Kudos to AMC!”

Much the same as what you saw last week... but different.
     Much the same as what you saw last week... but different.
    I think it's telling because, if you substitute "seasons" for volumes, then that's pretty much what Kirkman's been saying from day one. Where a lot of other people are trying to hurry from the comic to the movie deal, he was committed to making the comic work, telling the stories he wanted to tell and reaching the audience until they became diehard regulars. Making the comic work first before going after the gravy. That's what's translating, here, I feel. 

The shows been's taking some liberties from the comic but, honestly, are any of you actually having an issue with that? Getting back to what I was saying, Kirkman even kept his core audience in mind for this and encouraged digression, lest the audience be bored by seeing the same twists and turns all over again..

Anyway, for the mathletes and the bean counters in the Comic Vine community, here are the actual numbers…

EPISODE 1

• 10pm airing - 3.7 HH rating with over 5.3 million total viewers;
    • Adults 18-49 - 3.6 million viewers;
    • Adults 25-54 - 3.1 million viewers;
    • Men 18-49 - 2.0 million viewers.

EPISODE 2

•  10pm airing – 3.1 HH rating with over 4.7 million viewers;
    • Adults 18-49 – 3.3 million viewers;
    • Adults 25-54 – 2.8 million viewers;
    • Men 18-49 – 2.1 million viewers.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &     here .

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ReverseNegative

Good. I'm lovin the first season so far.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By waruikumo

Woot 1st, 

not only is it source accurate, but its also very well done.  And the Acting is amazing.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Thunderscream

the end of the first episode had me squirming in my seat like a little girl!

Avatar image for crimsoninutears
    CrimsonInuTears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrimsonInuTears

Wow, two eps an already season two... Yes, it is that good~ ^_^
    Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lovenuggets

I can careless about all the haters out there...but Kirkman is doing a legit job keeping the TV show just like the comics he created...I adore this show A lot...I hated Sunday's to Death but now  I can finally..FINALLY look forward to Sundays now that The Walking Dead is out. 

Barley the 2nd ep and it was amazing...and let me tell you people something...I have never ever wanted to vomit from a tv show before but after last night it was so amazing gross I loved it! 

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sacerdos87

Great show. The two episodes have been phenomenal, its kinda like the stuff you didn't see in the comic is making its way into this show, More characters, drama, alternative meetings of how people met. But in the end most of it stays intact enough that I couldn't really complain about how it's changed.

Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lovenuggets

dude seriously..anyone else wanted to vomit from them chopping up the dude to mask their human scent? lol that is stuck in my head!..ghhhh. 

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Hunter114

So this is what Resident Evil could have been...

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Primmaster64

cool

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By N7_Normandy

I think it's solid, but it's nowhere near as good as everyone says.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Awesome news. Can't wait for this Sunday's episode!

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kurrent

NICE

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone

Makes a ton of sense. Good Job AMC reap the rewards! Time Warner could learn another lesson here.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By danhimself
    @Hunter114 said:
    " So this is what Resident Evil could have been... "
    no...this is absolutely nothing like Resident Evil
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

I'm really enjoying the series so far and I'm really hoping for more great things to come!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm so glad this show is soaring. Walking Dead is one title I eagerly await month to month. Now its a show I eagerly await week to week. Awesome!!
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By difficlus
    @longbowhunter said:
    " I'm so glad this show is soaring. Walking Dead is one title I eagerly await month to month. Now its a show I eagerly await week to week. Awesome!! "
    indeed...@ReverseNegative said:
    " Good. I'm lovin the first season so far. "
    savri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By savri

I do not like ANY horror at all, but for some reason, I love this show, go figure?    And I would cap a little girl if she were coming after me (the way this girl did in the show) and I have a little girl!     it is great!!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonis

that was really ballsy capping the girl (but also crazy cool in intense) 
    AMC has proven again that you don't have to be a pay cable channel to put out quality material. No surprise over the success so far and the desire to go forever. Now if they can just get through a few seasons and not let it get to their heads they just might get at least 5 good seasons.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

This is great news :)

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Pizawle

Cool. Great to have a comic transition success story.

vincethekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vincethekid

Let me first start off and say, I'm a HUGE fan of the comics and the show so far. 

Unfortunately,  something is starting to bother me about the show and I was wondering if anybody who reads the comic is starting to feel like I do... 

I know that the show has to be different from the comics.  I get that, don't get me wrong.  I know as a show, that your trying to bring in the largest audience possible. I understand that the show can't be entirely based on the comic.  I know that there is going to be the introduction of new characters and that the show is going to following comic book as much as possible but, won't be exact.  I'm okay with that too.

What's starting to bother me is this: 

With the introduction of these new characters,  I feel that there is a chance that these new characters might take away focus from what the WALKING DEAD is all about..    

By getting too many characters, who don't have a backstory (so far), who emotionally don't resinate with us, who are just extra filler for the show, dilute the core of the comic book and what the WALKING DEAD is...  a small group of characters that are put into an impossible situation who may or may not survive.  Most importantly, what Kirkman does really well, is that we don't know if ANYBODY is going to live from issue to issue.  

I don't mind getting emotionally connected to new characters but, there needs to be some kind of payoff.   Doesn't it bother anyone that NOBODY has died yet?   As we know, with many of favorite comics, tv shows, etc.  When you expand the cast or add things, you could be taking way focus on where it needs to be.  THE STORY.  Take the tv show HEROES for example,  Seasons 2 thru cancellation to be exact.  First season, was pretty damn epic.  Second season on the other hand, we got so many characters (new and old) that we as viewers became overwhelmed.  We stopped caring and we tuned out.   

I just don't want this to happen to my favorite comic, now turned Tv show.   I'm just not a fan of tons of new people on a show. I might be posting this prematurely.  I know Kirkman is apart of this show 100% but, look what they did to the KICK ASS movie?  Millar made it seem like, "we don't  have worry", nothing bad will happen, and look how that crazy ending in that movie turned out.  It was a total WTF moment for a comic book fan.  

We as fans also know, how much infulence studios have on comic based movies but, with Tv it could easliy happen too.   I'm not saying that this is the case with this show but, it is making me a little nervous.

The big draws of the WALKING DEAD is the characters.    I mean with six episodes to go with shouldn't we see more loss instead of triumph?  After seeing the second episode there seems to be a least 6 new characters.  Nobody has even been bitten.  I know the Hillbilly character was left  on the roof but, there needs to be more, right?  Don't you find that weird?  These are new characters you could do ANYTHING with them?   Am I wrong?  I feel unsatisfied in way.  I don't get that from every comic issue. I'm like, MORE MORE MORE.  When I bought the trades, I ran in as fast as I could to buy each one.  I want that from the show.  I want to tune in and go crazy just like I did with the comic book. 

I am but, I'm also not.  You know?    

The good news is, Kirkman wrote episode 4 and we are getting a 13 episode second season.  So, who knows what could happen.  I'm staying optimistic and hoping for the best.  I guess my expectations are really high.  But, come on...if you like the comic as much as me.   

We should expect the best, right?  

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GT-Man

Reminds me a lott of Dead Rising Frank
    GothamBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By GothamBat
    @vincethekid: 
    I agree with you completely, but I'm sure at least half of them will be dead soon, so who cares?
    Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mumbles
    good news!
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Glak

Duder fuck yes 
    I was worried since they only had 6 episodes this season, but with this news I'm looking forward to spending the rest of eternity with The Walking Dead.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @Lovenuggets said:
    " dude seriously..anyone else wanted to vomit from them chopping up the dude to mask their human scent? lol that is stuck in my head!..ghhhh.  "
    I thought that was pretty awesome and novel.  I liked how Rick had a severed hand hanging from his shoulder
    darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darth bul

good show
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By They Killed Cap!

This show is sooo good.
    Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brickabrack

Great start to the show. I can't believe how gory it was considering it is a normal TV station. Props to them for being brave enough to do it. This show is truly boundary pushing. I hope the other TV stations are taking note.
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Legacy_

How do they make these assumptions as to who watches an episode, i'm 15 and its say 18-54 years of age watch the program, does that mean their the majority?

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Hunter114 said:
    Exactly, instead we got... yeah. The movies should had taken notes from the Walking Dead series.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NightFang3

Only 2 episodes in and now a 2nd season, the show most be doing better then I thought it would!

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Gothic Storm

I can't get enough of this show! It's perhaps my favorite show next to The Good Guys and Fringe. (Sorry, Supernatural, but you really should have ended for good last season.) Human Target is coming back, but until then I can't wait for Sunday nights. The make-up for the zombies is second-to-none and that's mainly due to the awesome actors from Netherworld Haunted House just outside of Atlanta. Those guys and ladies really know how to scare up a great time! Don't agree with me? A large majority of them were in the film Zombieland and have been scaring people every October since 1995, so they have the experience. The main cast is great as well, even though is a rough patch of semi no-names. AMC is really lucky to air such an incredible show. Yeah, AMC.... who would've thought?

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eyz

Hehe :P
    "no brainers "
    XD

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Darkchild

hell yes!! i freking love this show!!!

blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blaakmawf

More channels should learn from this. People want more "mature" shit.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Sweet ^_^

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awesome news.  I've only seen episode 1 so far. Glad to see it's doing really well.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Damn it i seriously need to start watching this show

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xybernauts
    @Hunter114 said:
    @Duo_forbidden said:
    " Awesome news. Can't wait for this Sunday's episode! "
    Exactly how I feel! What ever happened to Resident Evil anyway?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.