AMC Renews 'The Walking Dead' For Third Season

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

After reaching over 7 million viewers during its first showing last Sunday, and slipping only slightly this past weekend to 6.7 million viewers, AMC president Charlie Collier confirmed that there will in fact be a third season of The Walking Dead,

“Today we are pleased to announce that the ‘dead’ shall live as we proudly renew The Walking Dead for a third season on AMC and, globally, with our terrific partners at Fox International Channels,”

It was only a matter of time until the network announced its plans to continue making more 'Walking Dead,' since the first episode of season two broke cable records as the most watched drama in television history, period. Yet, it's nice to see that even without Darabont at the helm, the network feels strongly enough about the future of the show's success for renew for a third season after only the second episode into season two. If you missed the recap we posted yesterday of the second episode into season two, then be sure to check out as we discussed the major plot points of the second episode and evaluate the events in the books versus what has been changed for the television show.

What do you think of the announced season three of 'The Walking Dead'? Do you think it's too early to say whether the show should get a third season, or do you think the show will continue to shatter records and be a smash hit? Have you been watching season two?

Source: Deadline

#1 Posted by cattlebattle (12792 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know how many episodes season 2 is suppose to have?

#2 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats great news. The second season is 13 episodes

#3 Posted by The_Tree (7491 posts) - - Show Bio

Woo! Hopefully we'll see the prison and Michonne some time in s3!

#4 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Shocker!

#5 Posted by Decept-O (7278 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet, great news to say the least! Loving every minute of this show!

#6 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

It's getting hard to watch, the characters aren't learning much, they aren't protecting children. The bold move is to split the group and run 2 different parties in the seasons. This probably isn't going to happen

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (58031 posts) - - Show Bio

good.
BB

#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

In before AMC cuts the show's production budget and asks for 15 episodes in season 3.

#9 Posted by Atomic_Punk (103 posts) - - Show Bio

These episodes have had such high production values, didn't AMC cut the show's budget at some point this year? Will we see the demands they fired Darabont for not adhering to surface?

#10 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@Atomic_Punk said:

These episodes have had such high production values, didn't AMC cut the show's budget at some point this year? Will we see the demands they fired Darabont for not adhering to surface?

It could be that they spent more money on these earlier episodes since they thought they would have higher viewership.

#11 Posted by jazzblade (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#12 Posted by craigbo180 (196 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they had just trusted in the show and gave full funding to this season rather than jumping on the bandwagon now that the viewership numbers are rolling in.

#13 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!!!!

#14 Edited by PirateNeal (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Yeah! Of course they are going to renew, cause theis series is AWSOME!

side note- I haven't touched the comics yet and i'm not sure if i should. Either way I go i feel like i'm either ruining the t.v. series or the comic series by knowing how the main story unfolds.

:( I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! ....I really like the fact that I don't know whats coming next in the story, but I ...I wanna...read...but don't wanna...sniff...sniff....

#15 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

thats a good 13 episodes when i watched last season i thought it was part one of season 1 and they were gonna come back with more then when i saw the season 2 trailer i was like what the hell that it for season 1

#16 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@PirateNeal said:

Well Yeah! Of course they are going to renew, cause theis series is AWSOME!

side note- I haven't touched the comics yet and i'm not sure if i should. Either way I go i feel like i'm either ruining the t.v. series or the comic series by knowing how the main story unfolds.

:( I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! ....I really like the fact that I don't know whats coming next in the story, but I ...I wanna...read...but don't wanna...sniff...sniff....

The show doesn't directly follow the books.

#17 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9073 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY so glad to see that we are going to get a season 3

#18 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news, look forward to them not rushing through episodes and actually building on the characters since they don't have to do everything

#20 Posted by CitizenJP (597 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSS!!!!

#21 Posted by NightFang (10070 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that was fast. This most have set a record for getting the fastest television renew.

#22 Posted by kimeraevet (188 posts) - - Show Bio

a@PirateNeal: You can read the comic. The TV series is on a whole different tangent. Be warned, if you do read understand it is going to be a way better story than what you are getting on television.

#23 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@PirateNeal: Don't read the comics if you are going to watch the show. They don't follow frame for frame, but the overall story stays the same.

#24 Edited by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: Nah game of thrones did it 2 days after the first episode of the first season

#25 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad my favorite comic has made such a great and popular show. I can see it is at least convincing a small number of people to read the books.

#26 Posted by Gordo789 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@perry_411 said:

@PirateNeal: Don't read the comics if you are going to watch the show. They don't follow frame for frame, but the overall story stays the same.

this is terrible advice. People should be reading TWD.

#27 Posted by Shadowmage952 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see how far they get to take this and if they actually follow through with some major character deaths.

#28 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by Edamame (28171 posts) - - Show Bio

Delicious.

#30 Posted by speedstermike (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: 13

#31 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

This show has no Australian syndication, though luckily for us Aussie TWD fans, there are torrents up within hours of it being shown in the US. Thank god for the internet :)

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hallelujah Yankee Doodle there is a God! Awesome awesome AWESOME :)

#33 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 Posted by butterflykyss (3916 posts) - - Show Bio

@perry_411 said:

It's getting hard to watch, the characters aren't learning much, they aren't protecting children. The bold move is to split the group and run 2 different parties in the seasons. This probably isn't going to happen

Super excited that they have renewed for another season!! I have to agree with perry, there is no way in hell I would have allowed my child to stay in those zombie infested woods to search for that missing girl. The characters do seem to be dropping the ball from every angle. The said thing is I want these characters to survive and thrive, but from what I have read from those who read the comics, a lot of the main characters don't make it, which is going to suck. I hate getting emotionally connected to a character just to have the ripped to shreds by zombies lol. Oh well, such is the life in the apocalyptic world of the Walking Dead!! ANYway back on topic, happy its renewed and can't wait to see what happens on this next episode and how Shane gets out of the school YIKES!!!!!!!

#35 Posted by HexThis (900 posts) - - Show Bio

@butterflykyss said:

@perry_411 said:

It's getting hard to watch, the characters aren't learning much, they aren't protecting children. The bold move is to split the group and run 2 different parties in the seasons. This probably isn't going to happen

Super excited that they have renewed for another season!! I have to agree with perry, there is no way in hell I would have allowed my child to stay in those zombie infested woods to search for that missing girl. The characters do seem to be dropping the ball from every angle. The said thing is I want these characters to survive and thrive, but from what I have read from those who read the comics, a lot of the main characters don't make it, which is going to suck. I hate getting emotionally connected to a character just to have the ripped to shreds by zombies lol. Oh well, such is the life in the apocalyptic world of the Walking Dead!! ANYway back on topic, happy its renewed and can't wait to see what happens on this next episode and how Shane gets out of the school YIKES!!!!!!!

I agree as well. Also, I wasn't really pleased with Dale's decision to confiscate Andrea's gun as well as lying to the other survivors about the RV- I think the writers intend on making him the moral compass but it's not really ethical to make decisions for other people. I also don't like all the fixation on Rick and has family, what's with TV and always having these father-son struggles as well as love triangles? I wanna learn about the adults more.

I want Michonne to step in, they keep saying she'll be introduced in season 3 which is a huge let down because somebody has to tell it like it is and f--k up some zombies with a katana!

#36 Edited by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first season, especially the two main characters. I thought the supporting cast were a bit weak in some places, and it seemed like they saved most of the budget for the very anticlimactic ending of the first season. Still I'll be watching the second one definately.

#37 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: I am sorry that AMC is underserving you. This is an international problem.

#38 Edited by butterflykyss (3916 posts) - - Show Bio

@HexThis said:

@butterflykyss said:

@perry_411 said:

It's getting hard to watch, the characters aren't learning much, they aren't protecting children. The bold move is to split the group and run 2 different parties in the seasons. This probably isn't going to happen

Super excited that they have renewed for another season!! I have to agree with perry, there is no way in hell I would have allowed my child to stay in those zombie infested woods to search for that missing girl. The characters do seem to be dropping the ball from every angle. The said thing is I want these characters to survive and thrive, but from what I have read from those who read the comics, a lot of the main characters don't make it, which is going to suck. I hate getting emotionally connected to a character just to have the ripped to shreds by zombies lol. Oh well, such is the life in the apocalyptic world of the Walking Dead!! ANYway back on topic, happy its renewed and can't wait to see what happens on this next episode and how Shane gets out of the school YIKES!!!!!!!

I agree as well. Also, I wasn't really pleased with Dale's decision to confiscate Andrea's gun as well as lying to the other survivors about the RV- I think the writers intend on making him the moral compass but it's not really ethical to make decisions for other people. I also don't like all the fixation on Rick and has family, what's with TV and always having these father-son struggles as well as love triangles? I wanna learn about the adults more.

I want Michonne to step in, they keep saying she'll be introduced in season 3 which is a huge let down because somebody has to tell it like it is and f--k up some zombies with a katana!

Oh wow this Michonne character sounds interesting!!! I haven't read the comics, so I will just have to wait and see how she is brought in. Do you think they can keep this show going for 3 season, I mean I wonder to have enough stories to tell to where it will stay interesting to the average viewer. I also like Dale. I never thought about in the sense that you said, but to me he just comes off like a protective father. He means well, which is what I like about him. He reminds me of my father in a lot of ways. But back on topic, lol, I see what you are saying. The fixation with rick family is kind of creepy, but you have to look at it from Shane's perspective. He had pretty much took Rick's place in a lot of ways and he grew to love the wife and child both, so it must be really hard to have to turn that all off with Rick being alive. Still want to know how Shane is going to get out of that school alive, that is just crzy to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.